YYCAviation
Topic Author

ANA charging for gate-checked bags?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:31 am

I had a somewhat disappointing experience last summer at the gate in Vancouver with ANA.

Trip began in Calgary on Air Canada to Vancouver...four of us were travelling together and gate agents said the flight was full so they made us check in three of our carry-on bags (that were within size limits as we tested them on the baggage tester).

Once in YVR to connect onto ANA to Tokyo, the gate agent paged us and told us that we exceeded our checked bag allowance and need to pay $200 per excess piece checked in at YYC (total to pay was $600!)

Despite telling them that they were forced gate-checked involuntarily, the agent won't budge and said that we have to pay before boarding the flight. Frustrated, we just paid the excess fee (which never got refunded after submitting a claim to both Air Canada and ANA).

Just a few questions from that experience:
1. Can you say no to a gate agent when they ask to check in carry-ons?
2. Does a fee normally apply when bags are checked-in at the gate?

Summary
1. Air Canada flight was full so gate agents involuntarily checked in carry-on bags at the gate. They made us check in 3 of our carry-ons.
2. Once in Vancouver, we were paged by ANA and asked to pay an excess baggage fee of $600 total because we exceeded our checked baggage allowance by three bags ($200 per excess bag)
3. Tried to explain that they were forced gate-checked but agent still insisted we pay before boarding.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

PatrickZ80

Re: ANA charging for gate-checked bags?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:06 pm

If it was last summer, it's probably too late to do anything about it right now. You'll never see that money again.

What you could have done is request access to your checked baggage in Vancouver so you could reclaim your gate-checked carry-on and take it on board of the ANA aircraft as carry-on instead of as checked luggage. In fact, you could have requested the gate agent in Calgary to only check your carry-ons to Vancouver and not all the way to Tokyo.

Sure it's possible to deny gate-checking bags, however the result would be that you'll be denied boarding. If they have no place in the overhead bins, they have the right to deny carry-ons in the cabin. The best way to prevent this from happening is by making sure you're first to board. Be at the gate in time and get in line for boarding as soon as you can. Don't be late! It's always the last passengers to board who's carry-ons are gate-checked. Don't be that last passenger.

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I was travelling in Economy, so I was in Group 4 during boarding on the Air Canada flight to YVR (more likely for carry-ons to be checked). The agent said it'll be tagged to the final destination free of charge. Once in YVR though, the ANA gate agent said they can't get the bags out of the plane and insisted for the fee to be paid instead.

This is actually the first time I've been charged for involuntary gate-checked bags. Other times it was always free to the final destination, it wasn't in this case unfortunately. Does it vary by airline to airline?

debonair

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:19 pm

YYCAviation wrote:
This is actually the first time I've been charged for involuntary gate-checked bags. Other times it was always free to the final destination, it wasn't in this case unfortunately. Does it vary by airline to airline?

I am working for LH and I don't understand this behaviour of ANA. Normally, the FIRST station is responsible, in this case YYC. As *A member the bags are checked through and boarding passes issued. There is no need at all for ANA in YVR to check again the baggage allowance, as they have to trust their counterparts of AC (as they did the check-in).
It would be a total different story, if you were holding 2 separate tickets and you needed to check-in again in YVR. But also in this case, as *A member, I would have waived the fee as interlining.

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:12 am

debonair wrote:
I am working for LH and I don't understand this behaviour of ANA. Normally, the FIRST station is responsible, in this case YYC. As *A member the bags are checked through and boarding passes issued.

The whole dilemma can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1443253

But to summarize, here's what happened:

1. Four of us were travelling together on one entire ticket. Airlines are Air Canada and ANA. Total free checked baggage allowance is 2 x 23kg per person = 8 bags total for all of us.

2. First flight was delayed, and Air Canada says three of our carry-ons will be gate checked involuntarily due to a full flight. Once onboard, there was a lot of overhead bin space available.

3. Once in YVR, ANA says we exceeded our free checked bag allowance by three bags (the carry-on's involuntarily checked in YYC) and says we need to pay $600 in excess bag fees before we can board the flight (Excess rate: $200 per piece). Bags also cannot be offloaded from the aircraft.

4. ANA agent says we can try to contact Air Canada for some form of refund or compensation since it was them who involuntarily gate-checked the bags in YYC.

Needless to say, I will now think twice before letting an agent gate-check my carry-ons on an itinerary involving multiple airlines.

CrewBunk

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:12 am

YYCAviation wrote:
4. ANA agent says we can try to contact Air Canada for some form of refund or compensation since it was them who involuntarily gate-checked the bags in YYC.

This is an odd comment for the ANA agent to make. Why would you contact AC for a refund? AC didn’t charge you anything.

If you are looking for a refund, you should contact ANA, as they took your money!

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm

[/quote]This is an odd comment for the ANA agent to make. Why would you contact AC for a refund? AC didn’t charge you anything. If you are looking for a refund, you should contact ANA, as they took your money![/quote]

I contacted ANA after the flight, and the response was basically what the gate agent also told me: While they empathize that the excess bags were checked involuntarily by Air Canada, the free checked bag allowance was exceeded by 3 bags, therefore the $600 excess fee was correct and justified to be collected.

CrewBunk

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:56 am

It’s interesting to note that had you flown YVR-TYO on AC, you would not have been charged the excess baggage fee.