Clackers
Topic Author

What's the reason Etihad or Emirates don't fly to Helsinki?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:58 pm

I noticed today that HEL is not served by the UAE2. Is there any reason for this? Politiccally, I see QR and TK both serve DOH and IST so it is surprising that at the very least Emirates don't test the water.

LAX772LR

Re: What's the reason Etihad or Emirates don't fly to Helsinki?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Clackers wrote:
Is there any reason for this?

FlyDubai serves DXB-HEL yearround, and AY does it seasonally....that's probably all the market needed.

Especially since HEL has a very comprehensive network to Asia and the rest of Europe, the ME3 are useless to them for the Americas, and what traffic exists from HEL to Africa and Australia/Oceania is already covered by existing options.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Clackers wrote:
Politiccally, I see QR and TK both serve DOH and IST so it is surprising that at the very least Emirates don't test the water.

On top of what LAX772LR said, Qatar as a Oneworld member can draw passengers through Finnair's network and Turkish Airlines is close enough that they can use their A320s or 737s. Finnair also has a very strong network into Asia, so high value business travelers will probably be more willing to spend their money on more direct flights than taking a detour via the Middle East.

Etihad also codeshares with Air Baltic, so they aren't completely out of that market.

Avgeek21

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:37 pm

And Norwegian also serves DXB seasonally right? Finnair also uses their lovely A359 on selected days. During high season the flights are full but not enough traffic to sustain a year round EK widebody. Maybe the EK 787-9 can make it economically viable for them? Zagreb is kinda in a similar situation to HEL and even there without the same competition EK can't fill it year round.

THS214

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:31 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:
And Norwegian also serves DXB seasonally right? Finnair also uses their lovely A359 on selected days. During high season the flights are full but not enough traffic to sustain a year round EK widebody. Maybe the EK 787-9 can make it economically viable for them? Zagreb is kinda in a similar situation to HEL and even there without the same competition EK can't fill it year round.

Norwegian stopped their seasonal Helsinki - Dubai couple of years ago. In the end they flew daily during the season but because Russia overflight rights (non on the route) their flight time was over one hour longer than Finnairs. This resulted to many stops at Warsaw on the return flight. Not very profitable I assume.

Arion640

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 pm

Don’t forget EK’s smallest plane is the 777 (currently). That’s Likely why flydubai runs the service.
1973-2020

xwb777

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:

Both Emirates and Flydubai serve Zagreb. They swap flights/services according to season. Emirates flies the route in Summer and Flydubai in Winter.