Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richiemo
Topic Author

New United Livery - A Year in. Thoughts?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Let's lighten the mood a little. We're basically a year into the New United livery so I thought I'd start a new thread. How does everyone feel about the new UAL livery now that you've had more time to soak it in. I believe for most of us, it takes awhile to really figure whether you like a new livery. Maybe it's appropriate to say, time heels most wounds. I for one feel this way now that I've had time to digest it: I didn't love the old UAL livery. I agreed with some peoples' assessment that it looked like a corporate powerpoint. But aesthetically speaking it was clean and nice. Gold and blue always looks good. The new one??? I have always been a fan of the billboard style airline name on the fuselage, ever since Pan Am did it in the 80s. But I really miss the gold and I think the new wavy cheat line is over-the-top. It's too busy...it's classic over-design. I think once the fleet is totally painted and I don't have the old livery to compare to, I may feel better. After all, I think dark and light blue go well together. But overall, I wish they had left well enough alone. The way I wish Lufthansa, and American, and Aer Lingus, etc, had all left well enough.....alone. I simply don't like change for the sake of change. Thoughts???

ChaseCLT

Re: New United Livery - A Year in. Thoughts?

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:13 pm

I hated the Continental colors on United. The entire duration, it was always Continental to me. I even accidentally referred to it as Continental a few times.

At first, i was disappointed with the new livery (No tulip.) But it's grown on my so much since it has been first introduced, I really like it a lot. I think it looks really great. And FINALLY... I can look at a United aircraft and think "United" and not "Continental". I know that the change isn't too drastic, but it's enough where I don't keep thinking continental

blockski

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:16 pm

It looks great. The new color scheme and the overall evolution of the total branding scheme (Polaris, website, livery, etc) is very nice.

catiii

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Has it been a year already?! Wow.

It's definitely grown on me, especially now seeing a number of tails parked side by side at EWR.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Still better than the rising blue mess, but worse than the Continental inspired 787 scheme. It looks cold and uninviting, needs some warm golden/orange/yellow trim.

tpaewr

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Still better than the rising blue mess, but worse than the Continental inspired 787 scheme. It looks cold and uninviting, needs some warm golden/orange/yellow trim.

I agree, it is worse than the 787 CO livery which I like best of the 3. The new one is just boring. Too much blue. Perhaps the wave could have been silver or pewter or anything but more blue.

Regardless between the MAX grounding and COVID now repainting is going to be back burner, so We will have all 3 flying around for sometime.

At least that damn Tulip is gone ;)

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:45 pm

tpaewr wrote:
At least that damn Tulip is gone ;)

The globe certainly looks better than the tulip.

DeltaMD90

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm

I'm surprised why it got so much hate. CO colors looked good and the new one looks good (though I preferred the old, original CO colors.)

AA's on the other hand... Hated it then, hated it now :vomit:

UA444

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Still the same continental garbage, with that hideous tumor globe. Long live the Tulip.
Last edited by UA444 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ozark1

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I think they drastically improved it. I've never been crazy about the wavy line but, all in all, it looks classy, unlike the cheap, AA Greyhound bus look. Love the lighter blue globe instead of the gold.

jetblastdubai

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 pm

Some may have wanted a more wholesale change from the post-merger theme but what works well with the new logo and paint is that it actually blends in fairly well the old one. To some people, they probably don't even notice the difference unless the old and new versions are parked next to each other.

When UA went from the original Saul Bass red/blue/orange to the Battleship colors, the fleet looked hodge-podge for years while going through the transition. Same long transition when they went from Battleship to Rising Blue. At least this transition isn't near as noticeable to most people.

I am just super glad that they didn't end up with something as horrible as I've seen on some other carriers. I won't mention names.

ER757

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:11 pm

I liked it then and I like it now - it was exactly what UA said it would be, a refresh, not a revolution. While I always associated UA with the tulip, the globe really reflects what they aspire to be and that is a global carrier. I am glad they changed the color and the gradients on the tail, it looks fantastic up close. Retaining the globe is also a bit of an homage to CO which is, after all, a big part of UA now.
It's not my favorite airline livery by a long shot, but it is a great improvement over the "Continited" slapped together mess immediately post-merger

questions

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 pm

It hasn’t grown on me, neither in photographs nor in person.

A lot of my initial reactions remain.

1A. The Tail I don’t like the color of the globe on the tail. I think UA should have made it darker, similar to some of the Polaris branding, with variations in color to add dimension.

As an example, the back cabin wall in this photo:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/polaris.html

And here:
http://www.rewardflying.com/report-blog/2017/7/26/united-airlines-b777-300-regional-polaris-business-class-sfo-ord

And here:
https://i2.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/P9080238-1.jpg?fit=1024%2C1024px&ssl=1

1B. The Tail I don’t like the light color in the top corner of the tail. Sunlight on the globe? A galaxy? Whatever it is I don’t like.

2. The Cheatline I think the wavy cheatline is going to look very dated in a few short years. On top of that the design is off. It’s too thin. Would a bolder line look better? Would a different “wave” look better? In addition, the execution is poor. The space gap of white paint underneath it is inconsistent.

3A. The Titles The placement of UNITED looks off to me, especially in relation to the windows and the Swiss cheese effect. Perhaps lift UNITED above the window line or lower it so that the window line is in the middle of UNITED.

3B. The Titles The spacing between the letters is too far. U N I T E D vs UNITED. The letters should be brought in a little closer together. Just a smidgen.

Other than the livery I like what United has done with the branding refresh.

UA748i

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:26 pm

It's fine. It looks clean, if a little monotone.

Now, if only they would change the name back to "Continental" :scratchchin: No more of this "United" nonsense

UA444

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

UA748i wrote:

Now, if only they would change the name back to "Continental" :scratchchin: No more of this "United" nonsense

The name is the only thing they’ve gotten right post merger.

rikkus67

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:45 pm

VSMUT wrote:

Traditionally, United has been mostly blue, with the exception of the Saul Bass scheme. By dropping the Gold, they are moving away from the "Continental inspired takeover" scheme. Ahem.

Personally, it's a much needed update...much better/cleaner. Do they need the tip of tail gradiant? I do miss the tulip!
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

UA748i

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:48 pm

UA444 wrote:
UA748i wrote:

The name is the only thing they’ve gotten right post merger.

Ain't that the truth. One of the worst out there.

The new livery is honestly lipstick on a pig.

seat1a

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:25 pm

The tail, the UNITED titles on the fuselage, and the wavy cheatline, they don't hang together very well.

Tail is great though.

Rdh3e

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Tail is perfection, the dark blue cheat line is an abomination.

VSMUT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:22 pm

rikkus67 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Traditionally, United has been mostly blue, with the exception of the Saul Bass scheme. By dropping the Gold, they are moving away from the "Continental inspired takeover" scheme. Ahem.

Personally, it's a much needed update...much better/cleaner. Do they need the tip of tail gradiant? I do miss the tulip!

But why move away from the Continental heritage? Granted they were a bit smaller, but Continental had a much better reputation. The current "United" is a merger of both. United today is not the United of the past. In fact, historical United liveries also featured a red, orange or gold stripe along the side:

The livery that adorned the DC-6s, Caravelles and at least the 727 in the Chicago Science Museum and Caravelles featured a subtle gold stripe.
The Stars and Bars livery had a red stripe.
The really pleasant 1974-1993 rainbow scheme had a big orange-red-blue cheatline.
The Battleship Grey livery had a thin orange-red-blue line along the entire fuselage.