Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MD8090orDRIVE
Topic Author

Will airlines adjust status because of COVID-19

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:47 pm

I like most of us here on this forum have status on one or more airlines. Of course, that will be pretty much wrecked by COVID-19. I know Delta has a reclaim my status program for people who have had major life incidents. I go back and forth between Diamond and Platinum and was at 46,000 miles and was notified as I got to the airport two weeks ago that the Indian Wells tennis tournament was canceled (I am a tennis umpire) Like many of us getting to 75K miles and above will be very difficult this year with events and most legit reasons to fly canceled.

Do you think airlines will make adjustments for this or will most of us end up at a lower level? I guess it really won't matter much as most everyone will also be at a lower level of status but it is a question that has me curious?

Does anyone have any idea?

Of course, this is number 3,864 things airlines have to worry about but they do want to keep their loyal customers loyal. I know I pay more to fly Delta then other airlines to work and I am sure many others do with their airline of choice, but I am sure the marketing departments don't have much other stuff on their minds.
Last edited by MD8090orDRIVE on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mortyman

Re: Will airlines adjust status because of COVID-19

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:07 pm

I'm sure they have more pressing issues to think about...

jetblueguy22

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 pm

I’m sure they’re more focused on other things, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t offer a grace period. It’s a business tactic to keep their most loyal customers. I know Hilton sent me an email yesterday my diamond status is extended through March 2021.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

davidjohnson6

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

The purpose of 'minimum qualifying miles' for a particular tier is to find the people who have most potential to be profitable customers for the next 12 months. Many of these people will be grounded by their employers - both to cover against the company being sued and also because there is likely a drastically reduced travel budget this year. Drastically reducing the mileage needed for higher loyalty tiers will likely see a whole load of random pax demanding elite status as a one-off while the sales rep who was flying heavily in 2019 and will be travelling again in 2021 is regarded as irrelevant for loyalty.

Better perhaps instead to regard the current time as void for calculating loyalty and use the months prior to Feb 2020 as a likelihood-to-travel indicator instead ?

Cubsrule

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The purpose of 'minimum qualifying miles' for a particular tier is to find the people who have most potential to be profitable customers for the next 12 months. Many of these people will be grounded by their employers - both to cover against the company being sued and also because there is likely a drastically reduced travel budget this year. Drastically reducing the mileage needed for higher loyalty tiers will likely see a whole load of random pax demanding elite status as a one-off while the sales rep who was flying heavily in 2019 and will be travelling again in 2021 is regarded as irrelevant for loyalty.

Better perhaps instead to regard the current time as void for calculating loyalty and use the months prior to Feb 2020 as a likelihood-to-travel indicator instead ?

I think that's exactly what will happen, if this happens: an extension of 2020 status into 2021, perhaps with accommodation for those whose "pre-pandemic" trend was substantially upward.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

cedarjet

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:25 pm

BA announced just today that for Executive Club members whose year end is in April, May or June, they’ll knock 30% off the tier points required for each status level. Bad luck for those who’d hoped to do a Hail Mary mileage run at their year end, then again that crowd are probably tolerated rather than embraced at the best of times. Not sure about the normal requirements for bronze or silver, but gold usually requires 1500 tier points, with this exemption it’s 1050. Which is good for me, with a year end in May and two business trips which would have got me to 1550 TPs between now and then to the US cancelled, the 1200 points I’ve already accrued will secure me another year of gold status. That said, I’m not sure when I’ll have a chance to enjoy it. Looks like it’ll be a couple of months before most of us see the inside of a business class lounge again.

Btw for those saying “I’m sure the airlines have more pressing problems”, in a way yes but loyalty programmes are the lifeblood of the industry, so it would be stunning negligence to let it spin out of control in a crisis. They’ll need the big corporate customers more than ever when this is done. So any airline worth their salt will be sure to protect their most loyal customers.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

GCT64

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:57 pm

I've had an email from Virgin Atlantic extending the period of my status and the period over which to earn re-qualification.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

flyboysp

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm

QF generously gave all members a 12 month status extension
#proudtobeabulldog

A330Inter

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:23 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Btw for those saying “I’m sure the airlines have more pressing problems”, in a way yes but loyalty programmes are the lifeblood of the industry, so it would be stunning negligence to let it spin out of control in a crisis. They’ll need the big corporate customers more than ever when this is done. So any airline worth their salt will be sure to protect their most loyal customers.

Absolutely agree, considering the amount of money that these FFP program make, often more than the core flying business, airlines that intend to come back alive and stronger than before the Covid19 crisis better keep their eyes right on Loyalty!
Not maintaining status of their key members would be an open invitation to go out and check the competition... in such case, why invest in a loyalty program at all and give these miles in the first place!

csturdiv

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 pm

flyboysp wrote:
QF generously gave all members a 12 month status extension

I had already earned enough to retain my Gold status. Now, if they want to bump me up to the next level, I would not complain. :)
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Dalavia

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 pm

A similar but closely related issue – some airlines require that points be used within a period of time after they are earned. For example, in the case of SQ, points must be used within three years of earning them. For those customers with points expiring soon but no chance to use the points because there are no flights, I wonder what (and if) arrangements will be made to extend the life of the points.

You can probably guess what I'm hoping for here.

umichman

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 pm

I'm currently a Delta Plat and don't really understand how people can be so fixated on this question at the current time. There's plenty of time left in the year to think about such things, why on earth would you worry about it now under current circumstances? I'm guessing DL will do something, but the situation is somewhat complicated by their MQM Rollover feature. If they were simply to extend everyone's status for another year, presumably those who didn't meet the MQM requirements for their current status will earn no MQM rollover. But some people intentionally hold short of the next status level in exchange for starting the next year with a large MQM balance and are willing to start the year at a lower status level.

TW870

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm

umichman wrote:
I'm currently a Delta Plat and don't really understand how people can be so fixated on this question at the current time. There's plenty of time left in the year to think about such things, why on earth would you worry about it now under current circumstances? I'm guessing DL will do something, but the situation is somewhat complicated by their MQM Rollover feature. If they were simply to extend everyone's status for another year, presumably those who didn't meet the MQM requirements for their current status will earn no MQM rollover. But some people intentionally hold short of the next status level in exchange for starting the next year with a large MQM balance and are willing to start the year at a lower status level.

I agree that it is bizarre that people are so worried about their status - right now. Also a DL Platinum. I am struck, through, about how many times Bastian has mentioned this exact topic in his COVID emails. Clearly he is distressed about it too, as he wants to make sure that his biggest spenders don't jump ship. Once the emergency calms down and they have a little more breathing room, my guess is that they will have a team across divisions to figure out what the recovery looks like on the brand loyalty side: which Skyclubs are open, what service level is offered in the clubs, what onboard service looks like in all markets, etc. A key part of that will be how the loyalty program bridge works. They'll have to figure out where to cut costs, and make a guess as to what cutbacks will cost the most loyalty. But again, all these are likely questions for the late-summer - maybe - and more likely the fall and winter.

TTailedTiger

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:48 pm

A nice gesture to extend it. But I doubt many will be able to use it. Businesses travelers are likely to be grounded from here on out or at least greatly reduced. Corporations now know that life can go on via video conferencing, e-signatures, and live document sharing. Travel budgets are one of the first things to go in a recession.

hereandthere41

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:52 pm

Isn't this supposed to be a page for aviation enthusiasts? Flyer Talk is a perfect place for frequent flyer/customer issues..not here.

klkla

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 pm

umichman wrote:
I'm currently a Delta Plat and don't really understand how people can be so fixated on this question at the current time.

The OP clearly wasn't 'fixated'. There is no reason this conversation cannot he held at the same time as others. Chill.

eurotrader85

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:35 am

It's a nice thought and as a grounded frequent flyer I would also have liked to have seen some understanding from my main two frequent flyer programmes, but am currently getting bolted down a notch for the first time in years on both. There is no charity and they are revenue arms of airlines who are struggling.

MD8090orDRIVE
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:49 am

Well Delta and United have answered my question about what I would have guessed and extended status one extra year. Plus most of us have a bunch of roll over miles on Delta