Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jamsco99
Topic Author

EU flight cancelled- no longer offering refund ?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 pm

I've read of Facebook (yes I know) that easyjet are no longer offering refunds for cancelled flights and are only offering a credit note.
My argument is that this cant be true as its illegal and EU airlines must offer a full refund if they cancel a flight.
Can anyone shed any light on this ?

davidjohnson6

Re: EU flight cancelled- no longer offering refund ?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:24 pm

If you phone them (and get a person to answer) they will give a refund
There will likely come a point when the EU starts waiving rules around refunds and allowing credit vouchers instead - the rationale will be that public interest in keeping the aviation industry out of bankruptcy is an overriding factor - the amounts of money involved are just too large

JannEejit

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:31 pm

My April 19th LGW-GLA flight is still listed as available to check in, even though they are closing North Terminal. I've not been contacted with any sort of option, refund or otherwise. Any attempt to log in to their website and app to 'manage bookings'
is met with a 'you have been logged out, too many log in attempts' message. Even though my log on details are saved on my PC and device.

My inbound BA flight on the same day is cancelled and despite an e-mail offering a refund, the link provided only takes you to a voucher offer. I'd happily take another flight for the annual (cancelled) event I was attending, for April 18th 2021, but they (BA) won't entertain that notion either.

FB330

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 pm

This is a very interesting topic.

I have a number of KLM flights booked in the coming weeks that I know will be cancelled. I don’t want a credit note as the reality is I won’t get the chance to use it. Can I force a refund, and if so, how?

All the flights are booked with a credit card so if a refund isn’t offered through the airline, can I claim through section 75 of a credit card?

Travel insurance isn’t the answer for me as the flights are only just over the cost of the excess.

mxaxai

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:51 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
I've read of Facebook (yes I know) that easyjet are no longer offering refunds for cancelled flights and are only offering a credit note.
My argument is that this cant be true as its illegal and EU airlines must offer a full refund if they cancel a flight.
Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Yes, they are required to offer a full refund.
Cancelled flight
Cancellation occurs when:

your original flight schedule is abandoned and you are transferred to another scheduled flight
the aircraft took off but, was forced to return to the airport of departure and you were transferred to another flight
your flight arrives at an airport which is not the final destination indicated on your ticket, unless:
You accepted re-routing (under comparable transport conditions at the earliest opportunity) to the airport of your original final destination or to any other destination agreed by you. In this case it is considered as a delay and not a cancellation.
The airport of arrival and the airport of the original final destination serve the same town, city or region. In this case it is considered as a delay and not a cancellation.

If your flight is cancelled you have the right to reimbursement, re-routing or return, as well as the right to assistance and a right to compensation. Compensation is due if you were informed less than 14 days prior to the scheduled departure date. The airline has the obligation to prove if and when you were personally informed that the flight was cancelled. If this is not the case you can contact your national authority for further assistance.

However, compensation is not due if the carrier can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. The airline has to prove this by providing, for example, extracts from logbooks or incident reports. The air carrier should give this evidence to the relevant national enforcement body as well as to the passengers concerned in line with national provisions on access to documents.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... ncellation
Airlines could claim "extraordinary circumstances" but so far none are AFAIK. However, many airlines are currently very creative at not refunding booked trips. If you called them they would have no choice except to refund it but all airlines are very worried about not having enough cash at hand.

AeroVega

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Airliners are trying to confuse customers that they cannot claim compensation because of extraordinary circumstances, which may be true. But that is something else than a refund, which they should give you anyway. They have no legal grounds to keep your money if the flight is cancelled.

AeroVega

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:33 pm

FB330 wrote:
This is a very interesting topic.

I have a number of KLM flights booked in the coming weeks that I know will be cancelled. I don’t want a credit note as the reality is I won’t get the chance to use it. Can I force a refund, and if so, how?

I am in the same boat as you. When is your first upcoming flight? Does that flight already show up as cancelled in https://www.klm.us/flight-status ?

BTC

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:41 pm

JannEejit wrote:
My inbound BA flight on the same day is cancelled and despite an e-mail offering a refund, the link provided only takes you to a voucher offer. I'd happily take another flight for the annual (cancelled) event I was attending, for April 18th 2021, but they (BA) won't entertain that notion either.

There's a javascript work around that can take you to a refund, not sure if it's all fares, but if you look at the headforpoints website, it will give you more details there.
Flown in :- A319, A320, A321, A332, A359, BAC ATP, BAC-1-11, BAE146, B722, B732, B733, B734, B738, B744, B752, B762, B763, B772, B788, CS3, CRJ7, CRJ9, Dash 8, DC10, Dornier 328, E170, E190, HS 121 Trident, Shorts 360

FB330

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:43 pm

First flight is at the end of April. It is no longer bookable on the website yet still shows as operating on my app. I am expecting to wait until the day when I know it is cancelled before making my claim.

debonair

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:21 pm

I am in the same boat, my easyjet flight was cancelled just 24hrs before departure and it was not possible to refund the flight. :tapedshut:

However I received the following Email from easyjet:

We are very sorry your flight has been cancelled. Please choose a free flight change to another flight, or a full refund of the cost of your flight and any directly related un-flown sectors within the same booking.

So I am applying for a refund and hope for the best... :crossfingers:

mmo

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:42 pm

On 18 March, the EU clarified the position on what airlines are REQUIRED to do in the COVID-19 environment.

1) The Covid-19 is considered an "extraordinary" event. However, airlines are still REQUIRED to offer refunds to people who have had their flights canceled. The refunds must be completed within 14 days. However, airlines can offer a voucher for future travel if the customer agrees. The customer must sign a form stating they were offered a cash refund but would like a voucher.
Airlines can cancel within 14 days of the flight without having to pay additional compensation.

See https: //ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/legislation/c20201830.pdf

Airlines who are offering vouchers are not complying with their obligation under EU261. If you purchased via a credit card, you are entitled to proceed with a "chargeback" for the transaction. Unless you purchased the tickets within the last 60 days, you can't dispute the transaction and a "chargeback" offers you 120 days from the scheduled date of the flight or 120 days from the date of notification. Much better coverage under a chargeback.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

AtomicGarden

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 pm

JannEejit wrote:
My April 19th LGW-GLA flight is still listed as available to check in, even though they are closing North Terminal. I've not been contacted with any sort of option, refund or otherwise. Any attempt to log in to their website and app to 'manage bookings'
is met with a 'you have been logged out, too many log in attempts' message. Even though my log on details are saved on my PC and device.

I'm kinda in the same situation as you. BA cancelled my flight but are only offering a voucher. I know I could probably ask for a refund over the phone, but I don't live in the UK so it will probably take me ages and a lot of money (and testing my spoken English skills).

I guess I'll have to check if there's a similar flight later this year because I don't feel like paying more for the tickets.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

AeroVega

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:10 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

I'm kinda in the same situation as you. BA cancelled my flight but are only offering a voucher. I know I could probably ask for a refund over the phone, but I don't live in the UK so it will probably take me ages and a lot of money (and testing my spoken English skills).

I guess I'll have to check if there's a similar flight later this year because I don't feel like paying more for the tickets.

Did you book directly with BA? Because it should be as simple as logging in to https://www.britishairways.com/travel/m ... blic/en_gb and request the refund. Did you try that already?

JannEejit

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:11 am

AeroVega wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Did you book directly with BA? Because it should be as simple as logging in to https://www.britishairways.com/travel/m ... blic/en_gb and request the refund. Did you try that already?

There is no option to claim anything other than a voucher or an alternative date for the flight via that link. And the maximum available future date is one month or so less than the same date next year that I'd be likely to fly the route again. There is a 'contact us' button to "discuss your refund options" which is currently dead. All very convenient.

JannEejit

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:37 am

And furthermore, I have called the BA customer line on +44 20 3250 0145 only to receive a voice message inviting me to go online to claim a voucher followed by the call being automatically disconnected. Sheer amateurism and cynical money grabbing at it's finest.

AeroVega

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:01 pm

JannEejit wrote:
And furthermore, I have called the BA customer line on +44 20 3250 0145 only to receive a voice message inviting me to go online to claim a voucher followed by the call being automatically disconnected. Sheer amateurism and cynical money grabbing at it's finest.

Did you try the headforpoints workaround mentioned further up-thread?

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/1 ... le-chrome/

The claim it works for both Avios and cash bookings.

JannEejit

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:20 pm

AeroVega wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Followed the step by step instructions to the letter. I presume BA's IT guys are wise to this now because the page refreshed as I entered my booking reference and it automatically issued me a voucher that I do not want and cannot use next year. Complete and utter CON !

AeroVega

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm

JannEejit wrote:
AeroVega wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Followed the step by step instructions to the letter. I presume BA's IT guys are wise to this now because the page refreshed as I entered my booking reference and it automatically issued me a voucher that I do not want and cannot use next year. Complete and utter CON !

Ouch. Very sorry to hear that. But I do not believe BA will get away with this. They have clearly deceived you and thereby violated the law. And many like you.

I read somewhere that KLM's voucher will actually be redeemable for cash after 12 months. Could that be true for BA's voucher?

max999

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:57 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/swiss-flight-refund/

According to this article, LH Group is doing something nasty and anti consumer with the refund requests. They will accept refund requests but they say refund processing is on hold with no date when they will be processed.

So they are technically following the law, but they are still trying to sneak out of paying. I think LH is acting like the Italian mafia.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

debonair

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:29 pm

max999 wrote:
LH Group is doing something nasty and anti consumer with the refund requests.

The situation at Eurowings is even worse! I had a flight, long before the "lockdown" in aviation and Eurowings changed the date of travel, refusing a refund as it offered an alternative option. Besides this, the COVID19 is an extraordinary circumstance, so customers must accept scheduled changes! :thumbsdown: :tapedshut:

mmo

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:45 pm

debonair wrote:
max999 wrote:
LH Group is doing something nasty and anti consumer with the refund requests.

The situation at Eurowings is even worse! I had a flight, long before the "lockdown" in aviation and Eurowings changed the date of travel, refusing a refund as it offered an alternative option. Besides this, the COVID19 is an extraordinary circumstance, so customers must accept scheduled changes! :thumbsdown: :tapedshut:

In the EU, why should they? My post and the EU clarification made it clear just what the airline's responsibility is in this situation. The airlines have a legal obligation to give a refund if the schedule change is not satisfactory to the passenger. END OF STORY. The passenger has a legal right to ask for a refund and the refund must be processed within 14 days.

I had an issue with Vueling, who was the only one to get to LYS. They refused to refund the tickets (3 people and 810 Euros), so it wasn't chump change. I spoke with my bank and since it was paid on a credit card, they processed a chargeback. I refuse to waste any time arguing with Vueling and will let the bank do it.

The airlines got a lot of relief with the EU letter of 18 March. There is no compensation if the airline cancels your flights inside of 14 days, they have had slot relief and the list goes on and on. I wouldn't fly Vueling if it were not the only way to get to LYS. And I certainly would not fly them again. As a retired Captain, it pains me to say that customers should put their foot down and demand what they are legally entitled to receive. The deterioration in service is because passengers were willing to take it.

FB330

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for this reply.

I think airlines are going to make it very awkward for this to happen seamlessly, plus of course they have the real practical issue of any overwhelming number of requests and less staff. I think I'll wait until my travel day; get confirmation of the flight cancelled - try the airline once and if no response, go straight to my bank.

AtomicGarden

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 pm

AeroVega wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

There's nothing to do on "manage my booking". It only has a link to the FAQs, which in turn takes me to the voucher form. Too bad I rather have a free change of my flight. I don't wanna argue about a refund.

AtomicGarden

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 pm

AeroVega wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

There's nothing to do on "manage my booking". It only has a link to the FAQs, which in turn takes me to the voucher form. Too bad I rather have a free change of my flight. I don't wanna argue about a refund.

debonair

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 am

AtomicGarden wrote:

Now that British Airways has officially announced it is suspending all flights from London’s Gatwick Airport effective April 1, 2020, you are in a far better position. BA has to react and offer full refund or voucher!

mmo

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:00 pm

debonair wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

Now that British Airways has officially announced it is suspending all flights from London’s Gatwick Airport effective April 1, 2020, you are in a far better position. BA has to react and offer full refund or voucher!

You are somewhat correct. While BA is suspending all flights from LGW, they are operating them out of LHR. But you might be able to argue LGW is a better airport for you and you don't want to leave out of LHR.

Travelboff

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:35 am

JannEejit wrote:

I called British Airways on + 44 (0)800 727 800 on Tuesday for my cancelled flights, and got through quicker than I thought I would. They didn't even ask if I wanted the voucher, just said they would put it in for full refund.

AeroVega

Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Just got the message that my flights have been cancelled. I think I'm going to wait until after the original flight date before asking for a refund.

AtomicGarden

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 am

mmo wrote:
debonair wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

You are somewhat correct. While BA is suspending all flights from LGW, they are operating them out of LHR. But you might be able to argue LGW is a better airport for you and you don't want to leave out of LHR.

As a matter of fact, I was flying to LHR! but anyway I checked on their website and for around the dates I would like to reschedule, the fares are a bit cheaper, so I hope I won't have sort of trouble with a free change. I know for a fact that airlines are gonna prefer that before a full refund.

Travelboff wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

I called British Airways on + 44 (0)800 727 800 on Tuesday for my cancelled flights, and got through quicker than I thought I would. They didn't even ask if I wanted the voucher, just said they would put it in for full refund.

Nice to hear that. Then my free change should go smoothly.

JannEejit

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm

IATA now advising it's members to keep offering vouchers.

MyJoyOnline.com: Make do with vouchers instead of cash refunds - IATA to travel agents,
regulators and passengers.
https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/av ... assengers/

mmo

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:43 pm

JannEejit wrote:
IATA now advising it's members to keep offering vouchers.

MyJoyOnline.com: Make do with vouchers instead of cash refunds - IATA to travel agents,
regulators and passengers.
https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/av ... assengers/

You do realize IATA is not a regulatory body and has no power at all. The EU has stated and restated, airlines must offer refunds first, the US has also taken the same position. While I appreciate the situation airlines are in, perhaps if they hadn't engaged in the massive stock buybacks they did, their cash position might be a little better.

max999

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/dot-to-ai ... ights/amp/

Meanwhile in the US, the DOT just sent an enforcement notice to airlines that they must provide a cash refund for cancelled flights.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

AeroVega

Wed May 13, 2020 11:23 am

Update: The EU is starting legal action against EU countries who are not enforcing EU refund policy.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN22P1KR

airhansa

Thu May 14, 2020 2:38 am

JannEejit wrote:

What is the point of British Airways? You aren't getting a high quality product (in comparison with most Northern European and Asian airlines) so you're paying to avoid these problems, yet BA cant even deal with these problems. The airline needs to collapse and be taken over by a more useful airline.

Albert12

Fri May 15, 2020 5:19 am

First flight is at the end of April. It is no longer bookable on the website yet still shows as operating on my app. I am expecting to wait until the day when I know it is cancelled before making my claim.