Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Can underwear being too heavy set off the TSA bodyscanner machine?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:12 am

Serious question....

Recently, as in the last two years, I’ve been setting off the TSA bodyscanner! It has happened five times this year. Indicating there’s something in, either my groin area, or buttocks area. Or sometimes both! I tell them they can do whatever they’ve got to do. I don’t need to go behind a curtain. Then they feel around my waistline and I’m always good to go. Nothing found.

Just last week, I went through security three times one day. At three different airports. The first two times, the thing set off. Showing a box around my groin area. Then both the groin and the backside a few hours later. At the final screening of the day, while I was coming back through security after a smoke, I walked through with no problems.

The first time this happened, I had a slightly damp bathing suit on under my pants. The screen completely lit up red throughout the highlight box on their screen, so I thought that water might have had something to do with it? But now it’s happening again! Could my boxer shorts be too thick? Or, is the machine just a worthless piece of junk?

Before Marijuana was legal in my state, I use to fly with my medicine bagged and lined down my butt crack and up under the jewels. (sorry to be graphic) and I have gone through that machine dozens and dozens of times with up to a half ounce of weed down there, and the damn thing has never signaled.

Why am I now setting it off when there’s really nothing concealed under my clothes?

PatrickZ80

Re: Can underwear being too heavy set off the TSA bodyscanner machine?

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:18 am

The only thing that can set off a bodyscanner is metal, and underwear is very unlikely to contain metal. It's certainly visible, but can't be the cause.

Just think, where in or on your body do you have any metal? Even in small amounts like a ring, clip or coin.

PlymSpotter

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 am

Could it be the Prince Albert?

rlwynn

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Or the chain mail g string

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:13 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The only thing that can set off a bodyscanner is metal, and underwear is very unlikely to contain metal. It's certainly visible, but can't be the cause.

Just think, where in or on your body do you have any metal? Even in small amounts like a ring, clip or coin.

I think metal might be the only thing that can set off a traditional metal detector. But not the body scanner machine, which is suppose to detect any object under the clothes on the body. For example, if you strapped a plastic knife to your lower back, the machine is going to highlight an object in that general area in a box on their screen that will require a pat down to check the area.

TUGMASTER

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The only thing that can set off a bodyscanner is metal.

Not true.... I use the body scanner everyday, and around 50% of the time , it shows up as a square at the back of my head.
I have absolutely zero metal in my head...!!!

deltaffindfw

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:36 pm

I was at PHL a few weeks ago - at 7am and hungover. Got randomly put into the body scanner from Pre-Check line. It set off around the groin area. The TSA guy was very touchy - put his hands between my underwear elastic and body and worked all the way around. And of course, ran the back of his hand over the junk. As I was leaving, it "looked" like they hit the 'female' button on the scanner, but I couldn't tell for sure.

trex8

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:13 pm

I have some Dockers and Haggars brand slacks with cargo pockets, they are always setting the machine off as it seems there is too much material there's round the pockets!
Its always, you need to empty your pockets, I did!, pat down, ok you're fine.

seat1a

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:04 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Could it be the Prince Albert?

LOL!!! Thank you for making my day. Of all the crappy news, the topic and this response - PURRRFECT!

alggag

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:19 am

I've noticed that I set it off more when my shirt is wet from sweat.

trijetsonly

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:44 am

I was told once that a really full bladder could bring up a "finding" in the body scanner around that area.

Did you compare your bladder states during the occurrences?

maps4ltd

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:31 pm

As a previous commenter mentioned, it could have something to do with the contents of that underwear... :crowded:

Yflyer

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The only thing that can set off a bodyscanner is metal...

I used to keep setting off the body scanner, and would always get pulled aside to have a TSA screener pat down my legs. I eventually realized it was likely because I often wear those pants with the zip-off legs when I travel (it's a lot easier than packing both shorts and long pants, and I can be prepared for any kind of weather). I'm fairly certain that it was the zippers running around the middle of my pant legs that was setting it off.

Flanker7

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:08 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
The only thing that can set off a bodyscanner is metal.

Not true.... I use the body scanner everyday, and around 50% of the time , it shows up as a square at the back of my head.
I have absolutely zero metal in my head...!!!

What, you have a square head? :lol:

PI4EVR

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:20 pm

I had a hard time getting past you wearing a wet bathing suit under your pants beyond all the other stuff going on in that nether region.
Maybe try going commando........

IADCA

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:15 pm

I dunno, how sweaty are your balls and ass?

Moisture definitely sets it off. I had it go off once on my chest because of a coffee spill that was mostly dry and already embarrassing enough.

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:16 am

PI4EVR wrote:
I had a hard time getting past you wearing a wet bathing suit under your pants beyond all the other stuff going on in that nether region.
Maybe try going commando........

Not wet. Just slightly damp. I was in Hawaii with a late evening red eye flight. Had checked out of the hotel at 11am and gone swimming that afternoon. It hadn’t completely dried because of the humidity, but wasn’t soaking wet. Just put my jeans on over them instead of putting them in my checked bag to mildew..

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Re: Can underwear being too heavy set off the TSA bodyscanner machin

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 am

IADCA wrote:

Moisture definitely sets it off. I had it go off once on my chest because of a coffee spill that was mostly dry and already embarrassing enough.

Pretty sweaty usually, but was a lot worse when I use to carry a half ounce of weed in that area. And that never sets the thing off. Makes me think somebody could pretty easily conceal a small amount plastic explosive, a zazor blade/small knife, etc.

e38

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm

funny topic, pwm2txlhopper!

Quoting you, "I use to fly with my medicine bagged and lined down my . . ."

a few questions came to mind . . .

1. Wasn't this arrangement terribly uncomfortable?

2. Did you have to practice walking "normally" so as not to arouse suspicion among security personnel that you were concealing something?

3. Did you have a plan, or a defense, ready, in case your concealed items were discovered?

e38

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:55 pm

e38 wrote:
funny topic, pwm2txlhopper!

Quoting you, "I use to fly with my medicine bagged and lined down my . . ."

a few questions came to mind . . .

1. Wasn't this arrangement terribly uncomfortable?

2. Did you have to practice walking "normally" so as not to arouse suspicion among security personnel that you were concealing something?

3. Did you have a plan, or a defense, ready, in case your concealed items were discovered?

e38

Question 1 and 2 Not at all. Grind it up. Put in non ziplock sandwich bag and shape it. Line butt crack from top down to the bottom with slightly more in the bag as you get lower. I can walk around completely normally. Even spreading legs slightly to stand in the TSA bodyscanner. When I trigger a secondary search and they feel around my down my pants waistline, they still have never felt anything.

Question 3. Well, I usually fly out of a legal state. Before legalization it was already decriminalized. If they indeed detect it, they would call the local police. They would determine no state crime was committed and I’d be free to go, although they might tell me I had to get rid of it and come back through security.

e38

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:18 pm

interesting, thanks pwm2txlhopper.

e38

IPFreely

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:57 pm

IADCA wrote:

Not all wet underwear is caused by sweat. Or spilled coffee.

MD8090orDRIVE

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm

I had a couple of new pairs of golf pants I was flying with and they set off the scanner 4 trips in a row. I was told that pants that are kind of loose and not tight-fitting create a shadow that confuses the scanner.

Not sure if it is true but that is what two TSA agents told me was the issue.

IADCA

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 pm

IPFreely wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Not all wet underwear is caused by sweat. Or spilled coffee.

I'm sure it Depends on the individual.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:10 pm

I've had this happen to me a couple times. I think it came from wearing heavier material boxer briefs in the winter to keep everything warm. It has never happened while wearing what I consider to be "everyday" type underwear. Thanks for bringing this up, I've never seen anyone write about this before. I suspect your swim wear was thicker than normal,( unless it was a speedo). I do remember the first time I set it off, I saw the box over my groin, and the TSA guy asked if I had anything concealed there. I told him " just my junk", which he didn't seem to find as amusing as I did. Got the good ole back of hand pat down.

Blimpie

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Last time I set one of those off, it was at DCA before I retired form USAToday. The TSA officer looked at me and asked if I had anything to say and I replied, "My name is Magnum Enormous, and I am on my way back to Vegas to start filming a new movie." He laughed at me and sent me on my way.