Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evank516
Topic Author

DL Extending Medallion Status

Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:50 pm

https://news.delta.com/delta-extends-me ... ure-travel

Looks like Medallion status is being extended for 2021. Let's see if other airlines follow suit.

DFW17L

Re: DL Extending Medallion Status

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:32 pm

I was wondering who would be first. But the more important question is, will they reduce segments for, say AA Platinum, from 60 to 50 segments?

evank516
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm more curious about how many people may level up for 2022. If they roll over all of your MQMs then you might have a lot of one time platinum members who usually fly enough to retain Gold.

evank516
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:23 am

UA followed suit and they also reduced the thresholds to qualify for the year.

DTWLAX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 am

evank516 wrote:
I'm more curious about how many people may level up for 2022. If they roll over all of your MQMs then you might have a lot of one time platinum members who usually fly enough to retain Gold.

But would they meet the MQD requirement to level up? Probably not.

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:50 am

DTWLAX wrote:
evank516 wrote:

MQDs may be more of a problem than people realize. Don’t MQD requirements implicitly assume a certain fare environment that we may not have even once things become more normal?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

evank516
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If they have the right Delta SkyMiles Amex then it won't matter as long as they spend $25k on their credit card. Those people who usually make Gold may end up Platinum for 2022.
I hit the $25k threshold every year, so I could qualify for Platinum if I have the MQMs next year. It's also a testament to the fact that I need to start being more frugal :lol:

kavok

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:31 am

Business question: Does this move incentivize frequent flyers to cash in their award miles in late 2020, particularly in United’s case?

Reason being, a lot of the frequent flyers I know were always (historically) reluctant to spend award miles on their own travel, because they’d rather have the paid ticket to earn a higher level of status. This created a situation where a lot of the higher tiered elites had a stockpile of miles stored up, and no incentive to use them on award tickets for themselves.

However, since their status for 2020 will automatically be extended into 2021, there is no “need” to earn status for the rest of this year. Though arguably this may not be the case with Delta because they are allowing all MQMs to rollover, but it is definitely true with United.

So I guess my question is, did United just shoot themselves in the foot financially with their decision? At a time when airlines are desperate for cash, this move may have incentivized flyers to do the opposite and forgo paying cash for tickets in 2020... and instead encouraged the frequent flyers willing to do personal travel to use up some of their stored miles for award tickets instead.