Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alggag

Re: Most geographically nonsensical routing?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:08 pm

My most notable:

NRT-ATL-IAH
LIH-HNL-ATL-IAH
IAH-IST-BUD (RT)
TXL-HEL-ORD-IAH

Insertnamehere

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:44 am

While I didn't fly it ultimately: I was a hair length away from doing New York to Buenos Aires via London on Norwegian because the tickets were dirt cheap.

bananaboy

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:21 am

Flew ORD-LHR via SFO which was ok.

SYD-LAX via ICN was painful in Y.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

ben175

Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 am

I once flew PLZ-JNB-SYD-PER instead of SA direct simply so I could maintain my QF status.

fanofjets

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:20 am

Before COVID-19, Passengers in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA, area flying various domestic routes had a strange choice: United actually had a bus between ABE and EWR. Not an A320, but a motor coach! That's about a two-hour trip without leaving. They were not the first airline to do this, however. There was Skyways Coach Air in the 1950s and early 1960s in Britain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyways_Coach-Air_Limited
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mxaxai

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:06 am

TUGMASTER wrote:
BTW, I never once went to Bari..!!!!

It's a shame, Bari is a nice place.

bergkampsticket

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 am

stlgph wrote:
A friend of mine worked ticketing at JFK for Turkish. Said several years ago when Turkish offered $500/thereabouts roundtrip JFK to points like AMS, CDG, LHR, etc. - people came out in droves flying to IST then flying back to western europe to take advantage of the savings.

They can be the cheapest option from my local airport EDI to LAX. Hell of a detour for an alreasy long trip.

lugie

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:32 pm

While definitely not as outlandish as some of the others here, a rather circuitous routing (and in fact, one of my favorite days of flying in memory) was FRA-ORD-ATL-RDU.

What I find funny about this trip is that while the heading for a direct FRA-RDU connection would have been WSW, I connected both further west and further south than my destination.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

A333MSPtoAMS

Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 am

I flew ATH-ZRH-TLV

Originally was to fly ATH to TLV direct but Aegean changed that flight which would have arrived around 2:30 am on the sabbath. But sure how things would work at that time i opted to cancel the flight and booked the next best thing with SWISS
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

FlyingHollander

Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm

In 2009 we wanted to visit family and friends in both the Phoenix and Chicago area. We were looking for AMS-PHX and ORD-AMS, and would use Southwest in between. An open-jaw from LHR in stead of AMS saved about €500 per person, €2000 for the family. So we booked LHR-MSP-PHX...ORD-CDG-LHR. With the money saved we booked AMS-LHR on BMI and LHR-AMS on BA. This meant on the way back we flew ORD-CDG-LHR-AMS. If it weren't for the checked baggage (which the Air France lady was able to send all the way to AMS) we would have skipped the leg back to LHR and taken the train home to AMS...
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

sprxUSA

Wed May 20, 2020 2:27 am

Not too long ago (last fall) WN sold an SMF-MSP routing that went SMF-BOI, then connecting flight was BOI-MSP with a stop in OAK. And there were bags and pax seemingly each day doing this. I bet they were amused to learn the enroute stop was 100 miles from where they started. Wonder what the fare difference was between the SMF flight or nonstop from OAK?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

usflyer msp

Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 am

Despite the expansion of ET and KQ, circuitous routings are still common in Africa. Before Eritrea and Ethiopia normalized relations, a friend of mine had to fly ASM-DXB-KRT since ET wasn't an option and Eritrean Airlines and Sudan Airways are completely unreliable. Flying between West African cities via Paris or Brussels is not unheard of.

CV990A

Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 am

Didn't book it, but my favorite routing I saw was an option for DCA-LGA-PHL-HPN when booking a DCA-HPN non-stop trip. With layovers, it turned what should be a 1-hour trip into about a 7-hour ordeal
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

klm617

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 pm

My two most out of the way routings were.

DTW-CLE-BGR-FRA on Transamerica. and ANC-ATL-DTW on Delta. My cousin once flew DTW-DFW-FRA on American to get home when ORD was closed due to snow.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

F9LASDEN

Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:29 am

I think I just set my new personal record recently with LAS-SEA-DAL and DFW-SEA-LAS on AS. Previously it was DEN-SLC-DFW with DL. I’ve also done LAS-LAX-DEN with AA a couple of times.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

TWA772LR

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:34 am

stlgph wrote:
A friend of mine worked ticketing at JFK for Turkish. Said several years ago when Turkish offered $500/thereabouts roundtrip JFK to points like AMS, CDG, LHR, etc. - people came out in droves flying to IST then flying back to western europe to take advantage of the savings.

That still happens. I worked for TKs vendor in IAH in 2014 and people would go all over western Europe.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:42 pm

I’ve done SLC-SGU-PHX last year.

seat1a

Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:23 am

Here's one from way back: BN186 .. IAH-SEA-PDX-DFW.
Flight left at 3:10pm and got back to DFW at 11:50pm. Houston to Dallas with two-stops. Winter 1977.

twicearound

Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 pm

Flew CUR-AMS-JFK to get home because the KLM flight out of CUR was the only flight off the island with seats for 3 days.

Also did HNL-NRT-JFK to get home.

The joys of non reving

theasianguy

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 am

Due to China's Five Ones policy to limit imported COVID-19 cases to China, there's been a severe shortage of flights for international students returning home.

I've had some people book absolutely insane routings just to get from the US to China ASAP.

SCE-PHL-ORD-NRT-KUL-PVG
AUS-IAH-IAD-ADD-PVG
SYR-ORD-LAX-ICN-NRT-FOC
RDU-DTW-AMS-MSQ-HET

classicjets

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:26 pm

theasianguy wrote:
Due to China's Five Ones policy to limit imported COVID-19 cases to China, there's been a severe shortage of flights for international students returning home.

I've had some people book absolutely insane routings just to get from the US to China ASAP.

SCE-PHL-ORD-NRT-KUL-PVG
AUS-IAH-IAD-ADD-PVG
SYR-ORD-LAX-ICN-NRT-FOC
RDU-DTW-AMS-MSQ-HET

I'm in a WeChat group of people trying to get from North America to China and sharing their routings. I saw one who did YVR-HKG-KUL-CAN this week - since HKG isn't allowing transit to the Mainland. Of course many going via ADD and MSQ as you mention. My wife did LAX-ICN-KIX-PVG on KE, 7C, and HO which was nervewracking to watch considering the sub-MCT connection times and need to self-transfer.

My most geographically interesting routing may be back in the day when US Airways awards allowed for routing via Europe on tickets between North America and Asia. I had flown via the Pacific en route to China, but for my return decided to make it a truly round-the-world journey by taking advantage of this policy.

My route was PVG-TPE-ICN-IST-YYZ-SFO-PHX

NWAESC

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm

MSN-DTW-MKE.
SEA-EUG-PDX.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

rlwynn

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:29 pm

stlgph wrote:

They advertise Los Angeles from here in the Düsseldorf Cologne area. People must do it.
I can drive faster than you

DTWLAX

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 am

LAX-DTW-MEM-PHL on NW back in 2007.

dfwjim1

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Not me but I met somebody last year who flew AMS-LHR-LAX-DFW-FLL on AA points.

AirAfreak

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am

My trips include:

+ Savannah to Tampa (via Newark) due to a Continental Airlines mistake fare.

+ Los Angeles to Seoul (via Detroit) on DELTA was the fastest option due to last-minute purchase/availability.

+ Washington/Dulles to Seattle (via Newark, Cleveland, and Houston/Intercontinental) Continental OnePass mileage-run to retain elite status.

+ Atlanta to Los Angeles (via Toronto) on Air Canada because it was the cheapest option for a last minute decision to spend Christmas in California.

+ Atlanta to Raleigh (via Newark) because the additional OnePass miles for this itinerary allowed me to redeem a Businessfirst award ticket to Munich.

+ Washington/Dulles to Newark (via Detroit) on Northwest Airlines because it was only $99 roundtrip including taxes and fees.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

mfricke

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:46 am

A friend of mine in Anchorage went to Seoul, South Korea. He flew ANC to SEA to connect to ICN. On the flight from SEA to ICN, he flew right over Anchorage, backtracking 1,448 miles one way, or almost 3,000 miles round-trip! It was the most direct way to get from ANC to ICN.
ONT - Southern California's Ontario!

OB1504

Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:25 am

I flew MIA-BOS/ORD-CLT-JFK and back several times on AA for mileage purposes. Surprisingly it was a valid routing for most MIA-NYC fares.

stl07

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I've sat next to people on my UA flights from MEM-IAH that were connecting MEM-IAH-CMH, MEM-IAH-IND, and MEM-IAH-STL. I asked the guy going to CMH why he didn't fly to ORD, and he said that the last connection in that direction was not late enough for him to finish his meeting in MEM, so he took the more convenient departure time.

That is exactly what it is. A lot of the flights between non-Chicago midwest cities only operate 1,2, or 3 times a day, so if those times don't work out for you when you are traveling for business, you have to connect, and sometimes the ORD flights don't work out. I know a traveler that always flys STL-CLT-CVG because neither the nonstops on DL nor the connections via ORD get him to CVG on time for 10 am meetings
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:48 am

twicearound wrote:
Flew CUR-AMS-JFK to get home because the KLM flight out of CUR was the only flight off the island with seats for 3 days.

Also did HNL-NRT-JFK to get home.

The joys of non reving

damn, that sounds crazy to expect a sort flight from your Caribbean vacation back home to needing to go on 2 TATLs haha. I'm sure it must have been quite an experience getting on a widebody from that itty bitty airport though
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

VSMUT

Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:59 pm

fessor wrote:
My weirdest routing is DLM-ARN-CPH-BLL just 10 min before my departure there was a DLM-BLL flight

I've seen employers book me some weird routings to and from Billund over time. One place I worked had a policy of booking low-cost airlines only, regardless of price, so they gladly paid over twice the cost for putting me on a SAS flight to Copenhagen and then a Ryanair to Stansted and a taxi to London City, when Sun Air flew a direct flight to City at less than half the price on the same day. I also did a few on Wizz Air out of Copenhagen. It stopped when I missed the self-connection one day and I was delayed in Copenhagen for several days because Wizz only flew to that destination 2 days a week.

PITingres

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Strangest one I've done is probably PIT-EWR-MCI and back; literally flew over my house on the EWR-MCI leg. There wasn't any direct PIT-MCI, and all the other routings for the dates I needed were longer in total time; I think one alternative was PIT-ORD-MCI with a hassle at ORD.

The other one that sticks in my memory was PIT-IAH-LHR which is definitely the long way to get there and back; I forget why exactly, probably was flying on my own dime and there was a special deal on that routing.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

fortytwoeyes

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Best one for me would be PER-SIN-HKG-LHR-DUS. Not on one ticket though, I had booked a return DUS-LHR-HKG to spend a semester in Shenzhen, and at the end of that time I went to Singapore and Australia with a couple of friends. Since I already had the ticket from HKG I stuck with that, also allowing me to leave a suitcase with things I didn't need to travel in storage in Hong Kong.

seb146

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm

There probably are very good reasons for strange routes. Back in the day, TWA flew PDX-SEA-STL and return. I also remember QX flew PDX-PDT-BOI while, at the same time, flying PDX-BOI. Some flights could be repositioning flights, too. I was on QX on a Metro III PDX-PSC-PDT once. It was a full flight PDX-PSC but only three of us PSC-PDT. The morning non-stop PDT-PDX was usually full.

The first time I came back from Alaska, the connecting flight from ANC was grounded, so I was in SEA waiting for anything going on to PDX. There was a flight IAH-SEA-PDX on a DC9-30 on CO coming. So, it was either spend the night at SEA or go on to PDX. So, I went on.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!