Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AvgWhiteGuy
Topic Author

If you could talk to Dave Calhoun, what would you say?

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Title says it all, and my initial question was meant to be short, maybe two or three bullet points. So, if you're game, do the short and sweet bullets but also maybe a separate response if
you could have lunch with him - the points and questions. Would be nice to have a thought-provoking thread, devoid of the usual bias.

My lunch:
1. Previous management put the company in a very compromised position - and that was before the Max crashes - of being out-smarted, lacking innovation and response to market evolution, and exposing their
single isle product for what it really is - old, and a very distant second-best. What is the plan to emerge from this position? Where would the money come from to build a NSA?
2. The truss-braced wing seems to have a lot of potential to decrease fuel consumption, are the airlines and passengers ready for it? Is Boeing on top of it's operational challenges, such as landing gear
spacing coupled with long wings in high, gusty crosswinds? Just to name but one.
3. Is there any chance that Boeing could make two narrow body planes, a 5ab and 6ab that would have one type rating? Would Brasil be likely to build the 5ab?
4. Not buying the C-Series at a fraction of it's cost has to viewed as a colossal mistake, one that Airbus took advantage of, weakening Boeing's market position even further - what was the BOD thinking?
5. It seems the 787-10 could be more competitive with some MTOW improvement, what does Boeing think?
6. Covid-19 didn't do the 777X any favors, is it just a wait-and-see strategy from here?

Boeing757100

Re: If you could talk to Dave Calhoun, what would you say?

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Lol, I think most ppl on A.net will say "Bring back the 757" tho the tooling is demolished.
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry

FriscoHeavy

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:18 pm

The 737MAX isn’t a ‘distant second at best’.

There are a lot of routes it is the better and more efficient plane on than the A320 series.

Yes, as of now, the A321 is better than the -9MAX; however, we haven’t seen what the -10MAX is capable of and the -8MAX is arguably better than the A320.

So, your premise is not accurate from the beginning.
Whatever

aeromoe

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:06 pm

I don't even know who Dave Calhoun is but by the context of the posts so far I would bet he has something to do with Boeing. I AM an aviation enthusiast but not really a business enthusiast or corporate enthusiast so the suits behind the scene really don't interest me...that's why I don't know who this guy is by name.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

mcg

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:06 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Lol, I think most ppl on A.net will say "Bring back the 757" tho the tooling is demolished.

no no no, the 757 tooling is stored in a bunker under Denver International Airport. Everybody knows this.

Boeing757100

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:04 pm

mcg wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

no no no, the 757 tooling is stored in a bunker under Denver International Airport. Everybody knows this.

Source please?
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry

BowlingShoeDC9

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
mcg wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Source please?

It’s a joke. I’m pretty sure there is/was a big conspiracy theory about the government putting some top secret facility under DEN.
KMEM -> KDTW

NWAESC

Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:49 pm

I can't wait to see all the thoughtful, well-reasoned replies in this thread.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

tomaheath

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:05 am

I would ask him where his lake house is because apparently he has one here in New Hampshire.