Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

September11
Topic Author

Your Hotel Experience: The Ritz-Carlton

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:57 am

There are about 100 The Ritz-Carlton hotels worldwide. Have you stayed at The Ritz-Carlton? If so, where? And how was the service?
Airliners.net of the Future

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Your Hotel Experience: The Ritz-Carlton

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 am

Berlin, quite nice for three days. Top service, a bit clubby, dark paneling and the like.

Pyrex

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:25 am

Santiago, Chile and Atlanta. The Santiago one was really nice, great location, clearly the preferred business hotel in the city. Atlanta was OK, was only there for a short while anyway.

Did not stay there, but the Ritz Carlton in Moscow has an amazing rooftop bar, with a gorgeous view over Red Square and the Kremlin. Overpriced drinks but really cool atmosphere.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 am

Yes, I forgot, Moscow Ritz, fabulous bar with equally fabulous prices. I think drinks and snacks before dinner for 8 or 9 totaled $750-ish US. Breakfast bar was $60.

Pyrex

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:03 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Yes, I forgot, Moscow Ritz, fabulous bar with equally fabulous prices. I think drinks and snacks before dinner for 8 or 9 totaled $750-ish US. Breakfast bar was $60.

Damn, almost $100 a person for pre-dinner... That better have included some caviar and blinis, plus a Cossack opening a champagne bottle with a sword!
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 am

No, certainly no caviar, more like sliders, chips, that sort of thing. Moscow is great on an expense account. Birthday party later in the week rang up $2500 and no dinner included.

stlgph

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:32 am

Stayed at a few - Cleveland, Los Angeles, Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Denver, New Orleans, Chicago, and St. Louis. (some for works, other visits explained in a minute)

Generally well-oiled machines when it comes to service and catering to your needs and definitely worth splurging if you can do it. But expect hefty prices, as posted above -- $40 for buffalo wings, etc. Works out great if you're traveling on work's dime and they are picking up the tab.

Definitely have been to the one in St. Louis more than the others thanks to living there for a number of years. Was a frequent visitor to The Lobby Lounge. Years ago, not sure if they still do this or not as e moved from STL some time ago, they sold for $250 a year - Lobby Club Membership card. It would get you happy hour prices in The Lobby Lounge at all times, 10% off your bill during happy hour, 4 brunches at the St. Louis location (which were typically $65 apiece a la carte priced) and then you'd get discounts at other properties and e-mail deals. So the locations above I listed I was getting a good 20-50% off the normal rate, hence why I've stayed at a nice handful. So if you live near a Ritz Carlton - might be worth checking out if they have a similar program and if you do it - take full advantage of it.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

afcjets

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 pm

I have stayed at a few.

Laguna Niguel, it's actually in Dana Point so it's oceanfront yet it's up high on a cliff. The service was the best of any that I have been to.

Downtown Los Angeles. It's only about a decade old and reflects a more modern image they want to portray. The staff seems more transient based on it's location so while everyone was nice and accommodating they lacked experience.

Marina del Rey. Old, outdated and seems like a 3.5 star hotel. I would say don't waste your money here but I think the price reflects the budget feel of the property.

Montego Bay. I stayed there in 2002 when it was brand new and loved it. It is both oceanfront and not far from the airport. Jamaicans are very nice so the service was great. I heard much later about reviews of female guests being sexually assaulted at the property which totally surprised me. The price was amazing too both because it was new, the location (the beach is man-made but you can't tell) and how many rooms they have. I think even today it is priced significantly below others around the world (sorta like you could buy dirt cheap First Class fares to SDQ) so if you've always wanted to stay at one and don't want to spend much, you should totally consider MBJ. They also offered an all inclusive meal plan and it was reasonable too.

I should add while I appreciate great service from a hotel or resort, I don't choose or judge based on that. I pick somewhere based almost exclusively on how nice a property and the rooms are, location, and price. I have to laugh when someone gives an amazing five star resort one or two stars based on an experience they have with one hotel staff member. If I have the choice of a total bitch at the front desk checking me into a luxury hotel suite or staying in an average room at a three star property where the front desk clerk was pleasant and accommodating, I would go with the former every single time.

EasternSon

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm

I've stayed at the one in Orlando - it was OK. Nothing too special, apart from the connected golf course, which was great.

The other was in Fajardo, Puerto Rico - "El Conquistador"
This was a great resort. But, crazy expensive. Burgers were like $28 each, which is painful when your "starving" kid takes two bites are refuses to eat any more.
The attached water park and private island were worth it though!
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

Coal

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 am

Kuala Lumpur. It was nice, the room decor was a modern take on classic decor, e.g. it was not modern per se, but at least it didn't feel outdated. I feel the RC Kuala Lumpur is slightly nicer than the Mandarin Oriental KL, but within the same category, I think the Four Seasons Kuala Lumpur is way better.

However, being Bonvoy Titatnium, at that range, I would rather pick the St Regis, mostly because you get proper benefits (upgrades, lounge) whereas RC only has limited benefits for Bonvoy.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

fbgdavidson

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Stayed at quite a few across various continents.

For the most part certainly not on par with Mandarin Orientals, The Peninsula, Four Seasons etc. but usually a solid stay.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

UALFAson

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 pm

I have stayed at a few and attended meetings/receptions at several more, mostly along the U.S. East Coast.

Across the board, service is usually very, very good, but I am also a low-maintenance traveler who doesn't make a lot of special requests and doesn't go out of my way to interact with staff. Obviously there are individual exceptions, but the majority of their properties are "old money" clubby kind of luxury. It's upscale, but also a bit stuffy. I find the St. Regis chain--now also a part of Marriott Bonvoy--to be equally luxurious but a little more contemporary and younger.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

BuildingMyBento

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:32 pm

Is this for a school report or something?

Anyway, I have (only) stayed at The Ritz-Carlton Riyadh. Quite an opulent building, built with government financing in the diplomatic district.

Being that it was Saudi Arabia, the pool and spa were only open for men. There were two restaurants flanking the pool, and when those opened at 17:00, the pool closed.

The breakfast buffet was good times, and I particularly enjoyed the local variety of dates (stuffed with almonds/coconut/pistachios).

Was quite amused to find out that a mere few months later, it had become a "luxury prison."

I would definitely stay there again, or at least eat there again.

DFW17L

Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Phoenix and Atlanta (Buckhead)...both were about what you would expect. I find the service at Four Season hotels to be consistently better.

ORDfan101

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Naples: great property, with a awesome golf course, but services leave a little to be desired.

Grand Cayman: Absolutely wonderful experience, would highly recommend.

Hertzaliya/Tel Aviv: Awesome property, with great food and a great rooftop pool that you definitely should visit if you can. Location 20 minutes outside of downtown Tel Aviv can be a bit annoying, however, transport is very easy to find

ORDfan101

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:43 pm

EasternSon wrote:
I've stayed at the one in Orlando - it was OK. Nothing too special, apart from the connected golf course, which was great.

The other was in Fajardo, Puerto Rico - "El Conquistador"
This was a great resort. But, crazy expensive. Burgers were like $28 each, which is painful when your "starving" kid takes two bites are refuses to eat any more.
The attached water park and private island were worth it though!

Oh yes, i forgot about this one! Property is massive, and the waterpark and island are awesome! But as you said, things can be very pricy there

N649DL

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:43 pm

I've snuck into the hot tub and pool area at the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey in Los Angeles many times over the years. It's pretty nice and I think one of the more affordable properties, but also well used and a little old. The outdoor bar area is pretty nice too and you can easily enter it from the Marina Boardwalk.

As mentioned, Four Seasons are superior. I actually stayed at the one down here in Austin, TX when I first moved here as the Sheraton was sold out when I checked in using Hotel Tonight. How amazing to get upgraded from a hotel that was a little over $100 a night to one that was almost $700 per night for free.

bfitzflyer

Mon May 04, 2020 2:04 am

Stayed at Ritz Carlton downtown Atlanta, was nice, but expected more. St Regis and Peninsula in Asia were way better.

seat1a

Mon May 04, 2020 3:37 am

Laguna Niguel when it first opened. Flew to SNA. Loved the place.

EKOMDBDXB77W

Mon May 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Ritz- Carlton Dubai Jumeirah, lovely hotel and beach, club longe and very nice and courteous staff (visited in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020).

Coal

Tue May 05, 2020 3:24 am

EKOMDBDXB77W wrote:
Ritz- Carlton Dubai Jumeirah, lovely hotel and beach, club longe and very nice and courteous staff (visited in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008,2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020).

You could've been more concise and written "I have visited every year except 2014 since 1998").
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

aklrno

Tue May 05, 2020 8:15 pm

I've stayed at lots of them around the world. Always very plush, excellent service. In my opinion never worth the money. If I'm paying myself, I could be just as happy at a Hilton Garden Inn! When I am in a super big city where the acceptable hotels in the location I need are very expensive, certainly a Ritz-Carlton would be considered, any other 5-star would be acceptably interchangeable to me.

Austin787

Wed May 06, 2020 4:53 am

Haven't stayed in a Ritz-Carlton. I did visit the RC in Hong Kong and went to the Ozark bar on the 118th floor of the IC tower. Great views of the Hong Kong harbor and skyline.

VC10DC10

Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 pm

I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Naples, Florida--it is tremendous--and also their property in Sarasota, Florida. The Sarasota property is extremely disappointing--while the service is up to par, the facilities definitely are not. It's like a nice Hampton Inn rather than a luxury hotel. There is only a single bar/restaurant, the lobby is practically barren of decor, many of the rooms only have views of the driveway, and the beach access is only via bus to a condo property miles away.

jetsetter629

Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 pm

DFW17L wrote:
I find the service at Four Season hotels to be consistently better.

Without a doubt the Four Seasons are the gold standard in hospitality and especially service

Midwestindy

Sat May 09, 2020 10:36 pm

Stayed at the Ritz a few times for work, and it was not worth the last minute price the company paid. Tried to go with other luxury brands since.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

LH658

Mon May 11, 2020 3:06 am

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Abu Dhabi, for the price i paid it was definitely worth it. The rooms were massive, nice views, private beach, the souk was next door, restaurants were great as well, helpful and attentive employees. I usually find hotels that are anything above 4 star across Asia, to have excellent service, compared to the North American market.

When choosing a hotel, I recommend to do your research just because it could be a JW Marriott, Hilton, or even Four Season, doesn't mean it's going to live up to it name. Find out how old the hotel is, if it's been remodel, location, amenities, guest review on google trip advisor, and price point compared to the competitors. You don't want to spend high amount on hotel that hasn't been updated, location bit inconvenient, and bad reviews, cause then your just paying for the brand name, not the actual service.

Cubsrule

Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Stayed at the Ritz a few times for work, and it was not worth the last minute price the company paid. Tried to go with other luxury brands since.

Most Ritzes are worth a few hundred dollars a night (and, especially in secondary markets, you can find rooms at those prices). It's generally hard to justify the walkup prices. And I find Ritz service a bit to officious for most business travel. No, I don't need help with my briefcase and roller bag.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more