Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757
Topic Author

Packed AA flight, half without masks

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:56 pm

This is crazy, not so much that the flight was packed but that they are not mandated to wear masks and face coverings?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/airline-p ... ing-masks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Miamiairport

Re: Packed AA flight, half without masks

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm

No airlines aren't requiring paxs to wear masks. Neither are airports. Flights are getting packed again as airlines slash capacity. This entire social distancing thing is not going anywhere with airline executives. 90%+ load factors are their crack cocaine habit and social distancing isn't going to end that habit.

CALMSP

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:01 pm

I still think air travel for the US should have taken a pause earlier this month for 7-10 days. Empty planes as it was, but air travel is essentially the reason how this spread so quickly throughout the world. why not just pause for a few days for pax flights? I'd rather it pause for a week if it meant an opportunity for us all to recover quicker.

HVNandrew

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
No airlines aren't requiring paxs to wear masks. Neither are airports.

I really think that's going to have to change as one of the necessary measures to return to some "normalcy". In Canada passengers now have to wear masks on flights and in the airport; no reason it couldn't or shouldn't be done elsewhere.

Flaps

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm

If you have a concern then wear a a mask/gloves etc yourself or don't fly. There are plenty of options available to protect yourself. Its not up to the rest of the planet to tiptoe around you (you being used in the generic sense not targeting any specific individual. There are many dangers out in the real world. Risk is a part of life. If people want to improve their odds then they need to take their own steps to do so. Enough with all this nanny state garbage. Its time to start getting on with life again.

Tomassjc

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
No airlines aren't requiring paxs to wear masks. Neither are airports. Flights are getting packed again as airlines slash capacity. This entire social distancing thing is not going anywhere with airline executives. 90%+ load factors are their crack cocaine habit and social distancing isn't going to end that habit.

Flights are getting packed again? Where? Between Georgia and the Florida beaches?
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

0newair0

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Miamiairport wrote:

Flights are not packed. Occasionally, yes, but it's rare. Airline system load factors are 10-25% with the reduced capacity.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

Kbud

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Two things, 1) Who is flying anywhere right now? I know schedules have been thrashed, but where are all these people going? 2) I'm really surprised on the lack of social distancing, or nothing being enforced.

Cubsrule

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:37 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

I really think that's going to have to change as one of the necessary measures to return to some "normalcy". In Canada passengers now have to wear masks on flights and in the airport; no reason it couldn't or shouldn't be done elsewhere.

Wearing masks in the airport makes good sense. Wearing masks on the aircraft -- where there is zero evidence of contagion, at least once the packs start -- does not.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

heathrow

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Miamiairport wrote:

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-04 ... -Safeguard

Air Canada does.

Travellers and workers are also required to wear facial coverings while passing through CATSA (TSA) checkpoints.

HVNandrew

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:54 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

Wearing masks in the airport makes good sense. Wearing masks on the aircraft -- where there is zero evidence of contagion, at least once the packs start -- does not.

Why wouldn't it make sense on the aircraft? I would think the potential of contracting the virus from an infected person sitting next to or near you without a mask would be quite high, even more that if you were walking around a quiet airport...

Rajahdhani

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

Consider though, that there was a difference in approach regarding the enacting of laws and procedures - between what Canada and the U.S. can/will/did do - and then there is another discussion necessary between what the U.S. federal and individual U.S. States can/will/did do.

Canada was better able to enact legislation on a Federal level. For many factors, such an order is easier to execute in Canada.

The U.S. Federal Government, under the current administration (which are proponents of 'State's rights') relied more heavily on the state and local governments to enact laws, policies and restrictions - and allowed the federal government to have a laissez faire approach to the state's responses. So the laws, rules and regulations - really strongly came from local representatives (such a Governors) managing the crisis as they saw fit.

So, as we saw rises and hot spots - we saw enacting laws. Travel, essentially being federal - didn't have to enforce these laws - so many passengers may be going from one state, to another - and landing there, unwittingly breaking the law when they arrive.

Case in point;
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... 80-20.html

Kinda sets the tone in the difference in approach and viewing the issue from another perspective. I won't entertain further political discussion, and hoped to bring it home to topic as the address would directly affect many travelers to Florida.

Ziyulu

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:58 pm

I'm more worried about taking off shoes at security, walking on the dirty floor. That is more unhygienic and we are forced to take part in it.

smithbs

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:01 pm

For those wondering why people are flying, there are always reasons to fly. 330 million people in the country - there are all sorts of reasons. Going to see family. Going to a business function (and before anyone complains about this, remember some businesses are essential, and for most people, their job is essential). All sorts of reasons. Think of millions of people, each with their own plans. For some people, the reasons to travel are compelling enough. And there are many people who are sticking to their plans as best as they can.

Antarius

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
HVNandrew wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

How so? The issue is proximity to people who are contagious; there are many asymptomatic carriers. What if the person nearby is sick? How is this different than being in an airport?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

tys777

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:21 pm

This can be discussed in one of the other COVID-19 threads. Also, the non aviation talk about wearing masks, constitutionality of it, and repercussions of not wearing/not social distancing can be taken to non aviation.