Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

WAC
Topic Author

Long haul vs short haul emotions

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Hello All,

Hope you and all your family are safe and sane :)

So I always feel a very different feeling pre as well as boarding a long haul flight vs short haul flight regardless travel class.
I typically do 15-20 long haul flights per year while short haul 30-50 flights so it is not that long hauls are an exception or in frequent.
Do you have the same different feelings/emotions and if so what? And reasons why?

Wednesdayite

Re: Long haul vs short haul emotions

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 am

Long haul is always more exciting. Even though I’m generally flying between places that I know very well (Denver and the UK).

It just has a different feel. Perhaps it’s the meals. Or the blankets. I’m guessing it’s just the fact that you are (normally) heading overseas and for the majority on board that’s an exciting thing. The atmosphere spreads from passenger to passenger.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

stlgph

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:26 pm

From my perspective, I, too definitely is an atmospheric difference - the service, the offerings, the meals, etc. and I'm a person that if the fare is good enough I'm perfectly happy in coach - especially if I'm on an airline that offers the upgraded meal service a la LOT, Air France, Aer Lingus, etc. But it also can start from before you get the plane - Aer Lingus boarding for Ireland at JFK's T5 while the people at the next gate going to Buffalo give you dirty looks, American leaving for SYD from Terminal 4 at LAX - and again all the passengers just looking at you jealous you're going somewhere far and cool and they're not.

In the same token I've flown countless times Chicago-NYC and sometimes I feel those flights are more brutal in feeling they're going on and on and and on forever and less comfortable than 12 hours to Seoul, or what have you. Although, lots of changes though in that respect thanks to Southwest and Delta offering the free video streaming services I can do on my phone or tablet. Has definitely made a difference, for sure.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Insertnamehere

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 pm

I think its dependant on the aircraft you're flying. I do New York to Columbus quite a few times a year and with that its really down to the airline and aircraft. If I'm stuck on AA in their E175 I'm bored 20 minutes into the flight, now if I take DL or get on AA's E145, I have a much better flight.

For Long Haul its the same way, you're on these big aircraft that make you feel more comfortable even in coach. Now if I was stuck on a Norwegian 7M8 from Stewart to Edinburgh I'd probably want to die as its a boring flight and a boring aircraft.

zrs70

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 am

While I agree that there is a wonderful feeling about boarding a big plane to a faraway place, I equally love getting on ultra-short flights (wheels up to wheels down in 23 minutes). I LOVE the Alaska Air runs, for example!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020