Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Future Trips In Your Mind For "After This Is All Over"

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm

From that first magical moment in early 1985 when I was introduced to a travel agent, I learned to enjoy planning trips as a travel agent would do. Learning to do the necessities first made travel for me virtually hassle-free, and when the age of the internet came about, I took to building trips as quickly as a duck takes to water.

Even back then, I saw a trip the way that I see a word fill-in puzzle: all the pieces MUST fit, and logic will dictate every step of the way. In fact, it has become a way of relaxing for me, and even when I have a project for school that I need to plan, I design a fantasy trip just to work the brain like exercise. And in this era of uncertainty coupled with WAY too much time on my hands quarantined at home, I have planned our next trips, along with the dates in future years, as they are specific to specific seasons and dates.

Before I share mine with you, please know this post is for you to share what trips are in your mind. We are all fully aware that the world into which we will all eventually emerge may not look like what we retreated from in March. I get that. We will adapt, and plans will change. But for now, tell me and our panel where you would like to go, along with ANY details about the travel you would like. Include anything that might be for this year, even if the odds are not in your favor. Please give the rest of us ideas and let us all temporarily escape to your destinations!!

Here are mine:

#1: San Diego to San Luis Obispo by train, returning SBP-SAN by Alaska/Horizon, mid-November. We had an early Thanksgiving family reunion with my Bakersfield family, as they rented a beach house near Santa Barbara, and my husband and I drove up the Saturday before to visit. We did a side trip to the Madonna Inn and Hearst Castle, and it was fun - but we drove it once, and we don't need to do that again. Next time, we said, if the family does the same thing, we'll take the train and plane, rent a car, drive Santa Barbara county, but skip Los Angeles traffic. Likely canceled, but still keeping that one in my mind.

#2: Hawai'i, either Spring Break in late March, 2021, or June, 2021. My husband Jeff, a Jersey boy, has never been. We postponed because of Kilauea AND the Arizona Memorial closure, and now the quarantine is here. Madame Pele is laughing at us and our sense of urgency, as she is still building the island chain...but we will get there one day, and Jeff will be as awestruck as I was.

#3: Berlin, September-October, 2021. Well, technically it will be San Diego-LAX via Amtrak & FlyAway bus, LAX-MUC-HAM first, in order to fly an A380, and to see Miniatur Wunderland and the Chokoversum, then the train to Berlin for ten days. I'm utterly fascinated with Berlin, and most of those days are just for seeing the city, but I have a side trip by train planned for one day from Berlin to Lutherstadt Wittenburg and Leipzig, along with a rental-car day to see Tropical Island Water Park in the old East German military hangar as well as the Lady Agnes Interflug IL-62. Plus some fun driving on the Autobahn, if the weather is good. The trip includes being in Berlin on October 3rd, the day of German Unity, followed by a train to Frankfurt airport, an overnight stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at Frankfurt airport, then the morning non-stop to San Diego. A lot of "ifs" on this one...

#4: Greece + Athens-to-Venice Cruise + Venice, June, 2022. SAN-FRA-ATH via LH, five days in Athens, then the M.V. Viking Sky from Piraeus to Venice via Santorini, Katakonia, Kerkyra (Corfu), Kotor, Montenegro, Dubrovnik & Zadar Croatia, Koper, Slovenia, and ending in Venice, where will stay a few days. I thought about adding more of la bella Italia to the itinerary, but the peninsula deserves a trip all of her own! VCE-FRA-SAN on LH on the return.

#5: Christmas & New Year's in Europe, 2023-2024: San Diego to LAX via Amtrak & FlyAway bus, LAX-VIE on an Austrian 777. We spend a few days in Vienna, then fly VIE-SJJ on Austrian. Hopefully it will be an E195, as 2x2 is always better than 3x3!! Three additional days in the Sarajevo area, including a day trip by train to Mostar. Then we fly SJJ-MUC on LH, for two days. We've been to Munich before, and we want to do a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle and see it in winter! By this time, we're approaching Christmas, so it's off to our friends' place in Esslingen, finally we take a train! Christmas Eve, possibly, seeing family in nearby Langensteinbach, and Christmas day in Esslingen. The next day, my husband's birthday, we travel by train to Zurich, spending a few days there. The final stop, for New Year's, would be to see friends in Barcelona. The final leg of the trip, in January, would be BCN-EWR on a 787, connecting to whatever UA will be flying from EWR to SAN...

I am looking forward to everyone's responses!!

Coal

Re: Future Trips In Your Mind For "After This Is All Over"

Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 am

Not sure about the timing, but will be planning the following, in no particular order:

(1) Perth for a long weekend (maybe a full week)
(2) Lombok for a long weekend
(3) Bangkok / Taipei / Ho Chi Minh city for a foodie weekend
(4) Niseko / Rusutsu for a skiing trip
(5) Kitzbuhel for a skiing trip
(6) Hunza and Swat valleys in Pakistan (targeting April 2021 for this one)
(7) Miami to visit family

This excludes work trips once travel picks up again, most likely to all major Southeast Asia capitals, perhaps China and India too.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

PlymSpotter

Fri May 01, 2020 4:24 pm

My planned San Fran and LA work trips are now replaced by online collaboration and eMeetings. Realistically, I don't see that changing, unless I really want to go and do some sightseeing too, or see friends / relatives over there.

The planned trips to China to finalise new suppliers will most likely go ahead in 2021, but a lot depends on when we can now update our premises to receive a 40ft container on the back of a truck. At the moment, we struggle to turn a fixed 18T truck, so a full length artic has absolutely no chance.

So my first trip will probably be to Menorca with the family... late this year or early 2021.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

eastafspot

Sat May 02, 2020 11:36 am

Simply dreaming about mountain bike downhill in Pyrénées or Alps for August! :pray:
For the rest we shall see what next...
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

stlgph

Sat May 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Going on the notion it'll be possible come December, I'm starting to look at getting back into going to Europe and continuing the tour of Christmas markets. Have already done a number in Germany, Ireland and Paris. Thinking this year of doing it for a week and touring the Baltic states or trekking around the southern part of France.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PI4EVR

Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 pm

I had two trips booked in April and May that obviously have been canceled, but will likely just move both to 2021.
I had planned a Tokyo stopover and on to Guam to visit family, and a cross country ride on Amtrak from Washington to San Francisco.
I am hesitant to consider a long ride on a plane or confined in a train for 3 days to re-book for this year.
So a positive take on the trips will be to budget for them this year and have them paid for in full when I go.
I live in FL and simply look forward now to just going to the beach when they re-open.