Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Alaska to Require Masks

Fri May 01, 2020 8:39 pm

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/alas ... ear-masks/

Alaska Airlines will require passengers to wear masks. They already had blocked out middle seats in economy on their Airbus and Boeing 737 aircraft. On their prop's and E175, they had blocked off aisle seats in economy. The article says employees who can't stay 6' away from passengers will also where masks.

A co-worker of mine recently flew Spirit. He said his return flight was about 75% full. He said everyone in his group was assigned aisle seats, but they let them move so they were all in the same row. He isn't the most accurate guy, so I don't know if his info. is correct.

EA CO AS

Re: Alaska to Require Masks

Fri May 01, 2020 8:45 pm

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ericm2031

Fri May 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Pretty much every airline has announced they will be requiring them

CALMSP

Fri May 01, 2020 9:03 pm

this is all such a joke. if it were truly a life saving measure, this should have been in place weeks ago. now, when one airline says they will do it, all of them jump on ship so they don't look foolish, when they already look foolish for not taking drastic measure at the beginning of all of this.

roadrunner165

Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Not really a joke. How do you expect to enforce a mask requirement when up until recently there was a supply shortage? All basic PPE was going to hospitals and law enforcement. Now it appears there is enough (barely) that an airline could require, and reasonably expect, passengers to comply.

EA CO AS

Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 am

CALMSP wrote:
this is all such a joke. if it were truly a life saving measure, this should have been in place weeks ago. now, when one airline says they will do it, all of them jump on ship so they don't look foolish, when they already look foolish for not taking drastic measure at the beginning of all of this.

A joke? Come on, man. Six weeks ago we were being lectured that masks wouldn’t be effective and just took them away from healthcare professionals. It wasn’t even until March 11th that the WHO declared this a pandemic.

Airlines, just like everyone else, are just responding to the latest guidance. You can’t fault them for that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

hondah35

Sat May 02, 2020 4:23 am

EA CO AS wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

A joke? Come on, man. Six weeks ago we were being lectured that masks wouldn’t be effective and just took them away from healthcare professionals. It wasn’t even until March 11th that the WHO declared this a pandemic.

Airlines, just like everyone else, are just responding to the latest guidance. You can’t fault them for that.

I'm Exec Plat on AA and I am fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose where and when I travel and I will definitely not be flying until the mask requirement is lifted. Based on the latest fatality numbers we are seeing in proportion to the overall population I am not going to pay an airline for the privilege of looking like a buffoon (as if some goofy airline-provided mask would have any efficacy against such a virus to begin with on an airline flight).

737Captain

Sat May 02, 2020 4:50 am

hondah35 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

I'm Exec Plat on AA and I am fortunate enough to be able to pick and choose where and when I travel and I will definitely not be flying until the mask requirement is lifted. Based on the latest fatality numbers we are seeing in proportion to the overall population I am not going to pay an airline for the privilege of looking like a buffoon (as if some goofy airline-provided mask would have any efficacy against such a virus to begin with on an airline flight).

Completely agree. This is bordering on insane. N95 masks that are properly worn I would guess are effective. Problem is I have yet to see anyone outside of a healthcare worker wear an N95 mask properly or any other mask for that matter. They don’t properly seal to their faces, noses/mouths aren’t even covered, people are touching their faces multiple times every few minutes to adjust them. At this point we may as well stop wearing them. And IF these masks work so well then why isn’t everyone back to work? If they don’t work, why do we have to wear them?
"Why do you insist on man-pawing the glareshield everytime you climb up here?!"