Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phxa340
Topic Author

How are forward bookings looking?

Sat May 02, 2020 4:47 pm

Happy Saturday A-Net! Wanted to pick the collective mind trust and ask how forward bookings are looking and what you're hearing.

AA announced that forward bookings this summer are looking encouraging and are picking up (although they did say they are still wayyyyy off YOY). United however offered a starkly different assessment saying that forward bookings are essentially zero. Anyone know if particular months are looking better than others?

MIflyer12

Re: How are forward bookings looking?

Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Can you offer any links?

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 02, 2020 7:24 pm

TSA screenings are off 95% YOY, so even a doubling of screenings means a mere 10% of 2019. This is going to be a long recovery process, especially considering 25% unemployment numbers.

bigb

Sat May 02, 2020 7:33 pm

My flight loads have seen a small increase recently.

ericm2031

Sat May 02, 2020 8:14 pm

I believe WN also said they are seeing some advanced booking activity and that we are at the bottom.

With Texas reopening, Florida not far behind, and California as well in the coming weeks...we might start to see some meaningful increases as long as nothing spikes back up causing states to lockdown again.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Sat May 02, 2020 8:19 pm

None of this assumes s second wave, which I think is likely in the US due to a shortage of testing and tracing.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

Thibault973

Sat May 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Seeing how AF is offering direct CDG/JFK/YUL for 280$ return this September, I'd say very bleek.

TW870

Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 pm

I'd say way too early to tell, because any advanced booking is very tentative, both because of the nature of the pandemic and because the change penalties have been waived so people can further delay reservations once they make them.

In my business (education), we are looking to lock down September-November plans by mid-June. Right now, there is just not enough information to do anything. If we are optimistic, that might make us begin to use business travel again. But as others have said, especially because the testing is so uneven in the United States, it is so difficult to plan any in-person events that take people between states and cities when every state and city has different access to testing, and when the access is totally inconsistent. A city that looks okay now could run out of tests, have a spike, and go on lockdown. For now, we are still not booking any air travel.

jfklganyc

Sat May 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Load have been up week over week over the last 3 weeks.

But...a lot fewer flights

CALMSP

Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 pm

its hard to say for a route like EWR-LHR as bookings have been all combined on to the one flight. If we take a look at the first 4 days of June, they are at a low of 65% to a high of 94%. Then even the first week of august isn't terrible, but it is split up between 3 flights.

peterinlisbon

Sat May 02, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm surprised anyone is booking flights. It's all speculative at this point when travel will be allowed and, in some cases, whether the airlines will still even exist.

Wingtips56

Sat May 02, 2020 10:51 pm

I imagine that a number of the (northern) summer and later bookings could have been made before the outbreak, and folks just haven't cancelled yet. And others, as suggested above, could be more speculative bookings with the freedom to cancel without penalty. See how it goes. Bookings could go up or completely fall apart.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

WN732

Sat May 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
I imagine that a number of the (northern) summer and later bookings could have been made before the outbreak, and folks just haven't cancelled yet. And others, as suggested above, could be more speculative bookings with the freedom to cancel without penalty. See how it goes. Bookings could go up or completely fall apart.

That's pretty much how my travel plans are set for now. I have a California trip planned but it's nice that there's no penalty to make changes.

Aither

Sat May 02, 2020 11:17 pm

Some airlines (in the world) have a lot of speculative bookings : people buy cheap tickets with full flexibility to use the tickets until end of 2021.
Never trust the obvious

Midwestindy

Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I'm surprised anyone is booking flights. It's all speculative at this point when travel will be allowed and, in some cases, whether the airlines will still even exist.

For business & international travel, I agree those are more up in the air, but with domestic leisure travel I am much more bullish.

With most of Florida reopening many beaches already, and many states being almost fully reopened by July, I expect we'll see a surprising amount of leisure travel return especially since many people missed the major Spring Break travel period.

If you use China demand as a guinea pig(obviously has major differences from US), flight bookings have exploded since they have relaxed restrictions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22C1DA

All of this is obviously dependent on whether the virus can continue to be contained.

WN732 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

That's pretty much how my travel plans are set for now. I have a California trip planned but it's nice that there's no penalty to make changes.

Same, hard to pass on $20 & $30 fares from the US3
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

WN732

Sun May 03, 2020 12:47 am

Midwestindy wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

For business & international travel, I agree those are more up in the air, but with domestic leisure travel I am much more bullish.

With most of Florida reopening many beaches already, and many states being almost fully reopened by July, I expect we'll see a surprising amount of leisure travel return especially since many people missed the major Spring Break travel period.

If you use China demand as a guinea pig(obviously has major differences from US), flight bookings have exploded since they have relaxed restrictions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22C1DA

All of this is obviously dependent on whether the virus can continue to be contained.

WN732 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

Same, hard to pass on $20 & $30 fares from the US3

Exactly! $45 on a near transcon to LAX. That is so cheap it feels illegal.

peterinlisbon

Sun May 03, 2020 11:15 am

If they make the tickets cheap and flexible then I guess it could be a good time to buy, plus it's a way to help out the airlines which is something I'd be willing to do.

steveinbc

Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 am

I just booked Vancouver to Mexico in November and could hardly find 2 seats together. I tried out all 3 major Canadian airlines and AeroMexixo and all seemed at least 75% full.
Nothing scientific of course but my input
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Vasu

Sun May 10, 2020 12:14 am

Aither wrote:
Some airlines (in the world) have a lot of speculative bookings : people buy cheap tickets with full flexibility to use the tickets until end of 2021.

This is what I’ve done: made plenty of cheap bookings for later this year and into 2021. In Europe at least, prices seem to be really low - and airlines will move your flights/destinations if they cancel. So, what is there to lose? You either enjoy your trip or it gets moved and you start looking forward to that instead.

jetwet1

Sun May 10, 2020 12:27 am

Wingtips56 wrote:

Pretty much sums up my travel plans, the flights I booked in December for June are dead, but BA offered some very good prices on LAX-LHR in first (less than normal J prices) so I grabbed a few for trips that were planned for Aug-Dec, if they happen cool, if not I will take the rebook at a later date option.