Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Brianpr3
Topic Author
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Trip planning to rno from rsw

Tue May 05, 2020 5:26 am

As some of you know Im from rsw, and I had a trip report to my home nyc the past holidays,
Now I am planning a trip to reno for the coming Christmas holidays to see some family who out there.
I've had difficulties booking there because of 2 things
1 bad schedules cause connections are too tight
2 price rno and smf are very expensive and everyone is over 1,000 dollars
I've tried airports around rsw and rno to see who's cheaper, and the thing is a flight from fll- sfo is cheaper and willing to drive to and from those airports
And tips etc?
Brian
 
paullam
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:08 am

Re: Trip planning to rno from rsw

Tue May 05, 2020 9:03 am

Since you didn’t mention a specific time you want to fly I just had a look for flights in September.
You may give Skyscanner a try as they offer heaps of codeshare options making you fly on tickets offered by several European airlines. That lower the price to less than $300 so you may find options here.

Image
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N A21N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4490
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Trip planning to rno from rsw

Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am

paullam wrote:
Since you didn’t mention a specific time you want to fly I just had a look for flights in September.


He did mention a specific time: Christmas.

Of course flying around Christmas is always more expensive, so don't count on a too good deal. Still, over 1000 dollars is extremely expensive even for that time of the year. By booking early (as you do) you should be able to get much lower prices.

Searching for a flight through SkyScanner I can see what you mean by short transfer times, a lot of flights have only 1 hour and 20 minutes transfer time, some even have only 40 minutes in between them. I can imagine you find that too short. However I did find a combi that leaves you with reasonable transfer times for a reasonable price. How does this sound:

Thursday 24 December RSW-DEN-RNO with 2:30 transfer time, total flight duration 9:11 (depart 14:17, arrive 20:28).
Sunday 27 December RNO-DEN-RSW with 2:35 transfer time, total flight duration 8:19 (depart 11:34, arrive 22:53).

Bookable with United Airlines for $ 670.

Of course you should keep in mind this is basic economy, so it buys you nothing more than a seat. But you get where you want to go at quite reasonable times.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2529
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Trip planning to rno from rsw

Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Brianpr3 wrote:
As some of you know Im from rsw, and I had a trip report to my home nyc the past holidays,
Now I am planning a trip to reno for the coming Christmas holidays to see some family who out there.
I've had difficulties booking there because of 2 things
1 bad schedules cause connections are too tight
2 price rno and smf are very expensive and everyone is over 1,000 dollars
I've tried airports around rsw and rno to see who's cheaper, and the thing is a flight from fll- sfo is cheaper and willing to drive to and from those airports
And tips etc?


Keep in mind that driving to and from SFO and RNO in the winter could be dicey due to having to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains and the possibility of dealing with heavy snows going over the "Hill".
 
aklrno
Posts: 1595
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Trip planning to rno from rsw

Tue May 05, 2020 8:10 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Brianpr3 wrote:
As some of you know Im from rsw, and I had a trip report to my home nyc the past holidays,
Now I am planning a trip to reno for the coming Christmas holidays to see some family who out there.
I've had difficulties booking there because of 2 things
1 bad schedules cause connections are too tight
2 price rno and smf are very expensive and everyone is over 1,000 dollars
I've tried airports around rsw and rno to see who's cheaper, and the thing is a flight from fll- sfo is cheaper and willing to drive to and from those airports
And tips etc?


Keep in mind that driving to and from SFO and RNO in the winter could be dicey due to having to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains and the possibility of dealing with heavy snows going over the "Hill".

I live in RNO. I used to live in Truckee which is up in the mountains on I-80 west of Reno. I used to drive from Truckee to San Mateo (near SFO) every other week. I divided the winter trips into 4 categories: Boring, Interesting, Exciting, and Terrifying. If you are not experienced at winter mountain driving (you live in Florida?) I would say they are more like: Interesting, Exciting, Terrifying, and Major Accident. Even with my experience at least once a year I would either cancel the trip (if I were home) or overnight in Sacramento and just wait for things to get better.

Check the rates on Southwest even if it means an extra stop somewhere. It will be worth the money.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IPFreely, phatfarmlines, trijetsonly and 13 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos