Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

DBCoop3r

Re: Airports that can be accessed on foot vs airports that can only be accessed by car / train

Fri May 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I've actually had meetings in downtown San Diego where I fly into SAN, walk to the meeting, then walk back to the airport and go home.

MartijnNL

Re: Airports that can be accessed on foot vs airports that can only be accessed by car / train

Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Reply 8

TUGMASTER wrote:
You CANNOT walk to The LHR central area anymore.

Reply 50

Albert12 wrote:
You CANNOT walk to The LHR central area anymore

Copy-paste anyone?

teachpdx

Fri May 15, 2020 10:35 pm

PDX has dedicated foot and bike connections to the terminal.
It’s also possible to walk from LAS to the Strip in under 45 minutes.
Up Next: THIS YEAR IS CANCELLED!!!

jetwet1

Sat May 16, 2020 2:58 pm

You can walk to LAS by using Paradise, though honestly, you don't want to do it in the summer.

LGAviation

Sun May 17, 2020 1:10 am

As mentioned before, SYD Domestic is accessible by foot. The route is actually somewhat popular for people wanting to save the airport station fee which adds roughly $ 10 to your otherwise $ 4 ticket if you get off at Mascot. I have definitely also walked from Cairns airport into town which is not the most recommendable walk and I don't think intended for pedestrian access.
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

fessor

Sun May 17, 2020 10:45 am

It's possible to Walk to CPH, DMK, CNX.

aklrno

Sun May 17, 2020 8:21 pm

Yflyer wrote:
LAX can be accessed on foot, which is kind of ironic considering how car-centric Los Angeles is. There are sidewalks on both sides of Sky Way, and stairs that take you from the overpass down to Sepulveda Blvd. I've walked that route to In-N-Out Burger and back during a long layover.

lugie wrote:
In general I would say that US airports may be harder to reach on foot simply because the pedestrian infrastructure can be lacking in general. I've tried to do it at RDU coming in from the north along the single-carriageway access route and though I eventually pulled it off I would not do it again nor recommend it.

Yeah, we should probably define "can be accessed on foot" as having some sort of pedestrian infrastructure. Technically you *can* walk along the side of the road to pretty much any airport, there's no law saying you can't as far as I know, but at most US airports (like RDU in your example) it's not really safe to do so due to the lack of infrastructure for pedestrians.

This is exactly right. I've walked between LAX and a Century Blvd. hotel many times. It is often faster than waiting for one of the free shuttle buses. Usually I'm just going to or from terminal 1 (Southwest) but a fast walker can make it to any other terminal in 10 or 15 minutes more, and on the top level its usually a fairly pleasant walk.

I think it is strange that you can walk into an airport the size of LAX, but a tiny airport like RNO is nearly impossible to access on foot without going far out of your way. Now that some hotels have been built across the street from the airport it would be nice if a footpath could be built.

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned this above, but you can walk to SEA from the hotels across the street. There is a bridge leading to the light rail station, and from there it is a 10 minute walk through the enormous parking garage to the terminal. Considering the long route used by the shuttle bus from the hotels it is probably faster to walk.

bval

Mon May 18, 2020 4:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
Possible, but a total pain in the ass to get to LGA by foot and probably not something someone would voluntarily. But an option when everything was under construction and traffic was backed up down the GCP for miles - it was obvious to take the backroads through Queens out to the hotels by LGA and then get out and walk over

Or head over to the Trade Fair on 21 Ave and hoof it over to the Marine Terminal.

Crossing the GCP isn't fun but when the rideshare garage is backed up for hours it's not a bad idea to meet your driver on the other side.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue May 19, 2020 8:39 pm

You could walk down Broadway Blvd. and into HOU pretty easily, though the neighborhood is very sketchy and I wouldn't recommend it after dark.
I'm surprised no one has said anything about Milan Linate. That seemed like it was in the middle of the city, so I think there would be access. MEX would be pedestrian accessible, though it would be a VERY long walk from the city center. There is a pedestrian overpass over the highway at the west end of the runways that is crowded with families watching planes land and take off on weekends when kids are out of school.

sprxUSA

Wed May 20, 2020 2:21 am

BOI has sidewalks right up to it, and it is easy to access.
SAT has to be the most in-town airport with zero sidewalk access to it. Definitely not pedestrian friendly. Not even from old employee lot was there a walkway...
As for SLC, one can take the light rail.... :)
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

mattyfitzg

Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am

Mentioned above a few times, but I’d like to reiterate how scenic the walk to London City is, Canary Wharf, the o2 arena and the shard are just a number of attractions in the backdrop.

Airontario

Fri May 22, 2020 1:46 am

You can access T3 at YYZ from a sidewalk to Airport Rd. It's actually only about 200/300m to the road. From Airport Rd to downtown Toronto, it's theoretically possible, however it would take 5 hours according to Google, and it's not a particularly inviting walk.

Interestingly you can't walk to T1. You'd have to go to T3 and then grab the free Link Train and take that to T1.

entdoc

Fri May 22, 2020 6:45 pm

ISP and HPN

entdoc

Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm

ISP and HPN

hvusslax

Sat May 23, 2020 7:08 am

KEF has had a dedicated footpath into the town of Keflavík for a few years now, it's like 20-30 minute walk to the edge of town. It was possible to go by foot before but it was a rather unappealing route on the shoulder of a road with fast traffic.

atav

Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm

BOS is accessible by foot. I live two towns over from it and on nice days I'll walk all the way there. They built a beautiful park right at the foot of where it meets the bus shuttles to terminals. If I don't feel like taking a shuttle, I can walk directly to the inside of Terminal E using sidewalks. It's probably one of the top 5 bigger US airports that you can do this.

blueflyer

Tue May 26, 2020 5:24 pm

You can easily walk into DAL, however you cannot walk to in DFW. Even though there are a couple of roads coming from residential neighborhoods on the West side of DFW, they have, to the best of my knowledge, no sidewalk.

mattyfitzg wrote:
Mentioned above a few times, but I’d like to reiterate how scenic the walk to London City is, Canary Wharf, the o2 arena and the shard are just a number of attractions in the backdrop.

Yup. Done the walk from Canary Wharf to LCY early in the morning a few times (for some reason never the opposite). Not a bad view in the sunrise if one likes urban architecture too.

A350

Thu May 28, 2020 7:45 pm

I used to have an apartment at Dresden-Klotzsche a few hundred meters away from the terminal of DRS a couple of years ago. You can walk there as well as go by bike. I walked there often, also because it was the nearest railway station as well.

lesfalls

Fri May 29, 2020 2:23 am

Walked and biked (with a big parking for bikes) to HAM a couple of times.

CPH is quite nicely accesible too. LIN is very close but the question of safety arises as the "preriferie" are not very safe in Milan.

I've always wanted to try JFK by foot from Midtown but going through all those neighberhoods makes it a pain (there actually is an easily accesible sidewalk from the 60s to enter the terminal area from van wyck but then it becomes grass till you exit the facilieties).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

lesfalls

Fri May 29, 2020 2:25 am

I remember OSL also had a bike/pedestrian pathway accesible to downtown Oslo but I'm sure that was quite a long hike (there were multiple bikes parked at the airport though).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

ClipperGoodwill

Fri May 29, 2020 5:41 am

MCO is only accessible by car, bus and soon rail. I have see a few intrepid people attempt to walk to the hotels just North of the airport. Brave souls!

The new South Terminal is supposed to have a bike trail that leads to the South Entrance and Lake Nona, but I have never seen any concrete plans for it.
You can't beat the Experience.