Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

F9 To Deny Boarding to Crew or Passengers with Temp Above 100F

Thu May 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Thoughts:
1) I predicted this back in March in the "How Will Corona Change Air Travel" thread.
2) This is going to stick I bet.
3) It's going to get very hard to travel with young kids with this rule, however.
4) Frontier is probably doing this because of their new fee to have an empty seat next to you.
5) 100F is probably higher than I bet other airlines will establish
6) This includes crew which is going to create big problems for flight reliability. There's going to be cheating by the airlines on this I bet to keep flights operating.

Frontier Airlines said on Thursday it would begin temperature screenings for all passengers and crew members on June 1 and bar anyone with a temperature at or exceeding 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 C).

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/ ... passengers

alasizon

Re: F9 To Deny Boarding to Crew or Passengers with Temp Above 100F

Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 pm

100.4 has been the standard everywhere for employees being denied access (including crewmembers). F9 is just expanding this to passengers as well.

It means nothing however if they don't have accurate thermometers. Some of the ones out there are crazy inaccurate - you can test yourself three times and get three completely different temperatures.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

CaptainObvious1

Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 pm

enilria wrote:
Thoughts:
4) Frontier is probably doing this because of their new fee to have an empty seat next to you.

Frontier Airlines said on Thursday it would begin temperature screenings for all passengers and crew members on June 1 and bar anyone with a temperature at or exceeding 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 C).

They dropped the fee:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/20 ... on-flights

enilria
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 pm

CaptainObvious1 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Thoughts:

They dropped the fee:

That didn't last long. It wasn't a good idea.
CaptainObvious1 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Thoughts:

You can be quite contagious at 100F. Why is that the standard? Because they can't be accurate enough to go under that?

They dropped the fee:

alasizon wrote:
100.4 has been the standard everywhere for employees being denied access (including crewmembers). F9 is just expanding this to passengers as well.

It means nothing however if they don't have accurate thermometers. Some of the ones out there are crazy inaccurate - you can test yourself three times and get three completely different temperatures.

DLASFlyer

Thu May 07, 2020 11:43 pm

For only $39, you'll be able to bypass the temperature screening and board first.
Last edited by DLASFlyer on Thu May 07, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHOWahoo

Thu May 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Hopefully this goes the way of post-9/11 secondary screenings. With so much potential for asymptotic and presymptomatic spread, this seems like a decision being done for optics as much as actual impact.

StrandedAtMKG

Thu May 07, 2020 11:47 pm

Good for them. There are way too many idiots out there who think their business meeting or their trip to Disney are worth risking other people's lives for (not just during COVID, but all the time). Also, 100.4/100.5 are pretty much the standard for most facilities that have a temperature check right now. 100.4 is high enough that even if your thermometer isn't super accurate it still will only render a "positive" result in someone who's actually febrile.

N766UA

Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 am

Why the hell the feds didnt institute this 6-8 weeks ago is beyond me.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 am

Security / health theater....just like knee jerk stuff after 9/11

airzona11

Fri May 08, 2020 12:26 am

This seems like a slippery slope. There are HIPPA among other privacy areas of concern. The poor airline workers that are going to be stuck delivering the bad news.

IPFreely

Fri May 08, 2020 12:38 am

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
Good for them. There are way too many idiots out there who think their business meeting or their trip to Disney are worth risking other people's lives for (not just during COVID, but all the time). Also, 100.4/100.5 are pretty much the standard for most facilities that have a temperature check right now. 100.4 is high enough that even if your thermometer isn't super accurate it still will only render a "positive" result in someone who's actually febrile.

Anyone making a trip to Disney is going to have a Chevy Chase Vacation experience.

MIflyer12

Fri May 08, 2020 12:47 am

N766UA wrote:

As a single symptom early in the infection fever isn't a very reliable indicator. Lots of people can be infected and not show a fever.

In one study of 1,099 hospitalized patients, fever was present in only 44% at hospital admission

...and that was in people sick enough to recognize they needed to be hospitalized.

Part of getting people to travel again is having them believe it's safe to travel... but this isn't going to do great things for actual safety.

NWAESC

Fri May 08, 2020 12:49 am

airzona11 wrote:
This seems like a slippery slope. There are HIPPA among other privacy areas of concern. The poor airline workers that are going to be stuck delivering the bad news.

Watching an F9 flight can be wild enough as it is.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

WayexTDI

Fri May 08, 2020 12:52 am

airzona11 wrote:

You mean, HIPAA?

And how would that violate HIPAA rules? Someone trained to use a thermometer checks the pax/crew member passenger, then quietly tells them the result; it's no different than your doctor doing it. As long as they don't broadcast the result to every one in the airport, then there's no violation.

NWAESC

Fri May 08, 2020 12:56 am

IPFreely wrote:
Anyone making a trip to Disney is going to have a Chevy Chase Vacation experience.

Heh. Nicely referenced!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Polot

Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 am

WayexTDI wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

You mean, HIPAA?

And how would that violate HIPAA rules? Someone trained to use a thermometer checks the pax/crew member passenger, then quietly tells them the result; it's no different than your doctor doing it. As long as they don't broadcast the result to every one in the airport, then there's no violation.

HIPAA also has waivers to allow public health officials to stop or control the spread of diseases (like Covid).

HIPAA is mostly about how data is handled, not whether it can be collected or not.

moo

Fri May 08, 2020 1:15 am

WayexTDI wrote:
airzona11 wrote:

You mean, HIPAA?

It doesn't - HIPAA is vastly misunderstood, it only applies to "covered entities". An airline taking your temperature is not a covered entity, and thus is free to both carry out that action and do what it wants with the data it collects - they can indeed broadcast it to everyone in the airport and there is still no HIPAA violation. They might be violating other privacy related laws, but not HIPAA.

ordbosewr

Fri May 08, 2020 1:30 am

I mean this whole process of doing this is just going to create chaos. Whether it is at the airport or it is at theme park.
How do you deal with families or groups. I mean what happens if a mother/father are traveling with 2 and one of the children is flagged. Do you allow the whole family to rebook, but then is it at their expense for the remainder or all.
What about if this is the return portion of the trip?
How long does the passenger have to wait before they are able to 're-try'? or are they asked to quarenteen for x days?
What if UA does not have this policy are they going to 'honor' the denied boarding of F9?
so many questions.....

I mean I could see many people just taking ibuprofen or similar before heading to the airport to 'protect' against this stuff, but that just defeats the whole purpose.
I agree that we need to do something, but I am not sure this is the solution or causes more problems.

N766UA wrote:

I agree, I feel this is something the DOT should mandate (ie if we do it or not).
If it is truly a health safety issue for the US, then it should be consistent across all carriers.

Antarius

Fri May 08, 2020 1:40 am

ordbosewr wrote:
I mean this whole process of doing this is just going to create chaos. Whether it is at the airport or it is at theme park.
How do you deal with families or groups. I mean what happens if a mother/father are traveling with 2 and one of the children is flagged. Do you allow the whole family to rebook, but then is it at their expense for the remainder or all.
What about if this is the return portion of the trip?
How long does the passenger have to wait before they are able to 're-try'? or are they asked to quarenteen for x days?
What if UA does not have this policy are they going to 'honor' the denied boarding of F9?
so many questions.....

I mean I could see many people just taking ibuprofen or similar before heading to the airport to 'protect' against this stuff, but that just defeats the whole purpose.
I agree that we need to do something, but I am not sure this is the solution or causes more problems.

N766UA wrote:

I agree, I feel this is something the DOT should mandate (ie if we do it or not).
If it is truly a health safety issue for the US, then it should be consistent across all carriers.

This has been going on for years overseas. Walk out and through a sensor that detects body heat. Get flagged and they send you to secondary screening.

It's pretty seamless.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

777Mech

Fri May 08, 2020 1:51 am

NWAESC wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Heh. Nicely referenced!

Sign out front shoulda told ya!

codc10

Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 am

The paradigm for entry to hospitals will soon be temperature screen -> if fever, rapid COVID-19 test -> if negative, entry is permitted.

Unfortunately, the process isn't instantaneous, and we'll need to build in additional time.

Insertnamehere

Fri May 08, 2020 2:08 am

This is far from a big deal, getting off a plane in Japan or much of Asia this has been the norm there for years. I think personally this shouldn't be done at the gate but how it is elsewhere, you just walk through and they area mass scanning anyone for temperatures.

Is this perfect? No. But that isn't a reason not to do it. It helps some mitigation.

miegapele

Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Looks pointless. Most sane people already would not travel with 38C temperature, unless badly neccesary. Others can just take paracetamol.