Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

altairF28
Topic Author

Future Of First Class? (and who would pay for it?)

Fri May 08, 2020 8:31 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consum ... e-n1193431
AA not serving any meals or alcohol domestically, DL (at least the article implies it's DL only) giving F passengers basically a picnic, UA going to all prepackaged and sealed drinks. While I don't expect these to be permanent it looks like the only difference between F and Y right now is the size of the seat. Not only do I not see people ticketing an F seat to get Y service I'm not even sure I would buy an upgrade at the gate. Could airlines remove the First Class designation and pricing due to lack of interest and just make those "More Room" seats? Also, let's say that the back is full, or at least "full" by the airline's social distancing standards, but up front is available. Would they start giving out free upgrades to their big-time frequent fliers like they used to or would they give out bumps to Y pax and dispatch the plane with the empty F seats?

(Apologize if this is already being discussed; went back as far as the publication date of this article and didn't find anything)
A detour is a choice between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons

Lofty

Re: Future Of First Class? (and who would pay for it?)

Fri May 08, 2020 8:41 pm

To some people catering is only a small part of the First experience. Once lock down is over you will get those rich people who think their lives are worth more and First will give great social distancing.

MrPeanut

Fri May 08, 2020 8:50 pm

This is only an issue until a vaccine is found

FlyRow

Fri May 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Slightly oftopic: First is confusing, as anyone outside the US would call that F and a superior C product, not a domestic C product.

And no, reconfiguring aircraft is a expense airlines cannot afford right now and they need the high price tickets. Dont mistake the current Covid measures as a future standard.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

MIflyer12

Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm

DL is blocking F seats as well as Y seats, for a while.

In order to help maintain distancing on board, Delta announced its cutting capacity by nearly half. Fifty percent of seats in first class and 40 percent in other cabins will be blocked off.

Anybody who buys domestic F for food or alcohol is crazy or a lush. IMHO the 'product' is overwhelmingly the better, more spacious seat, and room to work for people so compelled.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blloydtbird

Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 pm

I’m far less concerned with domestic F/J. For me, I end up in those seats while connecting onwards to Asia. For flights to Asia in F/J, the hard product is far more important than the catering. Sure, I’d like a nice meal while traveling for 20+ hours, but it’s not that important. Domestic F/J, doesn’t really matter to me.

LAX772LR

Fri May 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Lofty wrote:
Once lock down is over you will get those rich people who think their lives are worth more and First will give great social distancing.

If they're "rich," then what are they doing on a commercial airliner?

Nah, just people who want the extra space. Besides, seats blocked in Y (as well as F) will assist in social distancing.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CV990A

Fri May 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Anyone buying US domestic F for the catering needs their head checked. The appeal for me is the legroom; I'm tall and the ability to sit comfortably on a flight is much appreciated.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

AWACSooner

Fri May 08, 2020 9:22 pm

CV990A wrote:
Anyone buying US domestic F for the catering needs their head checked. The appeal for me is the legroom; I'm tall and the ability to sit comfortably on a flight is much appreciated.

Disagree. Often, my decision between F and Y (other than price) can come down to catering. IFE and widebody/narrowbody are also deciding factors.

N62NA

Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
CV990A wrote:

Disagree. Often, my decision between F and Y (other than price) can come down to catering. IFE and widebody/narrowbody are also deciding factors.

Mine too. For the most part, I've enjoyed the domestic F meals on AA.

Also... on transcons, AA is still serving hot meals in the front cabin. I had a hot lunch on MIA-LAX and a hot breakfast on LAX-MIA at the end of March.

RvA

Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

That is how they stay rich :)

TUGMASTER

Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 pm

U gotta realise the difference between Domestic F/J and International F/J.
Two totally different ball.games
Like someone upthread said... it’s all about the hard product .... screw the meals.

usdcaguy

Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 pm

I can see the US3 scrapping the first class name in the near future and calling the front cabin business class, as they do in the rest of the world on narrowbodies. Some carriers might even pursue a European-style business class on non-transcontinental routes so they can make the cabin partitions moveable on a per-flight basis, which would allow them to configure the aircraft according to the number of seats booked in each cabin. That would ultimately drive more yield and prevent spoilage, though frequent flyers wouldn’t be thrilled.

johns624

Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 pm

RvA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I read this quote years ago "the rich stay rich acting like they're poor and the poor stay poor by acting like they're rich".

HappyContrails

Fri May 08, 2020 9:51 pm

As a regular flier on Delta, (transcontinental, Mexico and Caribbean), I enjoy traveling in first class. The seats, legroom, IFE and quite good meals all do it for me.

Austin787

Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 pm

The US3 may follow Spirit in classifying "first class" seats as Big Front seats, making bigger seats as the main selling point.

LAX772LR

Sat May 09, 2020 5:36 am

RvA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

More to the point. People who want to save money, do it. People who want to spend more for the space, do it. Nothing to do with "rich."

Plenty of millionaires sitting in coach.

LAX772LR

Sat May 09, 2020 7:06 am

Austin787 wrote:
The US3 may follow Spirit in classifying "first class" seats as Big Front seats, making bigger seats as the main selling point.

Bigger seats was always the main selling point......

airhansa

Sat May 09, 2020 12:35 pm

For me, it depends on the airports involved. Catering is nearly always worse than airport food in Asian airports, so the need to have food on the plane is diminished. Buy a take-out when you arrive at the airport and board the plane, then another when you leave the plane, if you're in a hurry. But US airports are usually worse so the story there might be different.

For Asian airlines, a mixed plane similar to Virgin Australia or Brussels Airlines might be the best option, with the BA Club World option also for long haul flight paths. This only works because Asian airlines have strong brand association with a high quality product that people will pay for upgrades, whereas most western airlines tend to fall short.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 09, 2020 2:37 pm

RvA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

For the truly rich, their private jet costs relatively less than their pilot’s car.

VSMUT

Sat May 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Eurobusiness will be a futile concept. Same seats, no catering or the same as economy. Lounge access and priority boarding can be achieved through status levels gained even on economy tickets. With low load factors, chances are good that you will get a free middle seat in economy anyway, plus some airlines don't even block the middle seat in business class (SAS on the A320, KLM+AF on the E-jet).

LH658

Mon May 11, 2020 3:17 am

Going to be lot of cut in product offering, before corona airlines were starting to be generous offering variety of amenities in Eco like meals on domestic US flights or to nearby international destinations, F & J were getting more luxurious. Not airlines will be on spending cut, plus more cautious on how much passenger interaction due to the virus until a vaccine is out, and increase in traffic.