Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

GEUltraFan9XGTF
Topic Author

Have your summer vacation flights been cancelled?

Sat May 09, 2020 12:47 pm

As the Germans say, "Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt." Hope is the last to die. I've been keeping my sanity through all this by clutching to the hope that we could still fly to Athens, Greece in August for vacation. I just learned that United has cancelled its EWR-ATH segment for this summer. I'm devastated.

Now I'm reading about LH opening up all sorts of vacation routes in June and it feels like insult being added to injury. Of course the Europeans wouldn't let this virus interfere with their "holy" summer holidays. Of course Europe will be open as a summer playground for itself. But my guess is Americans will have to stay away. Better for the Europeans, right? Getting to enjoy their beautiful places to themselves.

Man, I'm bummed. I live for my vacations, my travels, my adventures. What is life without them? Not much really.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

Kno

Re: Have your summer vacation flights been cancelled?

Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 pm

No, but they probably will be.

T18

Sat May 09, 2020 2:29 pm

No, only because I never make any however.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

jetwet1

Sat May 09, 2020 3:58 pm

My flights for June to Europe have been cancelled.

bmartino99

Sat May 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I currently have flights booked to PPT with United and they haven't been cancelled yet. It looks like Air Tahiti has cancelled our local flights to neighboring islands though. So we fully expect not to go.

eastafspot

Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Planned to fly for the very first time 1) in a real First Class cabin on Air France 2) to Abidjan - Ivory Coast.

No, long sectors have not been (and probably won't be) cancelled at all, but the quarantine measure in Ivory Coast prevents from going there anyway. So at the end, it's pointless!
It really sucks as initially, the A380 featuring the old F cabin was deployed on CDG-ABJ, but recently adjusted schedules now show the 77W in Best & Beyond configuration ... C'est la vie! :mad:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

bluestreak

Sat May 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Yes! I have had several trips cancelled because of the virus. My trip to SJU, and SXM this month has been cancelled.
Our trip to MCO for late May has not been canceled, but with everything still closed, why bother?

Also, my trip to the UK , and Ireland for late June has been cancelled.

As of now, the only trip I have booked that might happen this year is Seattle in July. Right now, I don’t have my hopes up that all the restrictions will be lifted by then. So we will have to wait and see if we will have a summer vacation at all.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

DocLightning

Sun May 10, 2020 5:40 am

We had two weddings. One in BZN and one in NCE. We were getting ready to purchase tickets when the apocalypse began. I argued that perhaps we should hold off on purchasing any tickets. The wedding in BZN is canceled. The one in NCE isn't yet officially canceled, but I doubt we'll be attending.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

A333MSPtoAMS

Wed May 13, 2020 12:48 am

I've got tickets to ADD for September, but it's highly unlikely I'll end up going. It really depends on quarantine restrictions imposed upon entry.

Currently, there is talk that people entering the UK will be subject of self quarantine well into the summer. Currently, Ethiopia requires a 14 day quarantine, at a quite expensive hotel. If those restrictions are still in place by mid July, I'll probably cancel.

I've got backup tickets to Santiago, Chile ($250 RT MIA to SCL).

Again it will depend.

So much uncertainty, but I'm a patient person and not at all unrealistic in my travel plans.
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com