Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

kavok
Topic Author

How long will middle seats be deemed “off limits” for most flights?

Mon May 11, 2020 1:54 pm

A recent “news” story about the shock of being on a full flight has made its way to several prominent US media outlets (link below). The cliffs notes version is that the plane was mostly full (including middle seats), and that passengers felt very uncomfortable flying in that situation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 105870001/

Obviously this is a unicorn case right now, given how low travel demand usually is. As most of us know, not selling middle seats is an easy decision for the airlines right now, given how most flights are probably half empty right now anyway. That being said, at some point demand will start to increase again, and airlines will be forced to make the decision to either sell the middle seats or not. Obviously not selling middle seats in that higher demand situation means lost revenue, at a time all airlines are struggling financially.

Basically, I am curious to hear from others on what the situation will be in the coming months when demand starts to return. Will airlines just add additional flights/frequencies and still fly the planes at a reduced passenger capacity ( still no middle seats)? Or will the need to generate revenue win out with middle seats getting filled as soon as the passenger demand allows it? The other possibility is if flying a full plane make passengers not want to fly that airline (as implied by the article), and thus to grow demand airlines would still be forced to not sell middle seats for a while.

santi319

Re: How long will middle seats be deemed “off limits” for most flights?

Mon May 11, 2020 2:04 pm

You can’t go on an aircraft and expect social distancing. Its not realistic. The news at this point are literally splitting hairs and most people don’t trust them anymore thanks to the amount of fearmongering that they have shown recently.

AWACSooner

Mon May 11, 2020 2:08 pm

If they truly felt that uncomfortable, then frankly, they shouldn't have flown. I understand the concerns over the fact that we have a lot of unknowns during this pandemic, but the airlines are not obligated to destroy their economic bottom lines just to give folks a piece of mind. Blocking seats is ideal where practical, but if the demand is there, then fill the seats. Folks can use their masks, sanitizers, and wipes if they're that concerned and desparately have to fly.

dtw2hyd

Mon May 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Not very long, industry will soon spin, 17 inches wouldn't make any difference.

My take, the airline which orders enough PPEs (masks, face shields and gowns) for every passenger will succeed.

Or no exposed bare skin policy i.e? Mask, face shield, full sleeves, long pants, shoes, gloves and hoodied rain jacket/poncho, Bottom line, no human should shed any particles inside the cabin.
All posts are just opinions.

airhansa

Mon May 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Asia has the history of MERS and SARS to draw information form, and I can't remember there being any social distancing on planes during those epidemics, but obviously the only one I'm familiar with is SARS and that was a long time ago.

Theoretically, I expect the social distancing measures at western airports and airlines to remain until a vaccine is widely available. This would probably mean that the middle seat will be vacant until the start of 2021.

What I suspect will be highly likely is that younger adults will fly more frequently, but that older adults will refrain from flying and consequently travel agency airlines (e.g. TUI) and leisure airlines (e.g. Jet2) will be the most affected. I also doubt that there is a market for so many low cost airlines in Europe, and I except to see some consolidation, with many of the "airline group" low cost carried folding and possibly mergers for the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet into bigger airline groups.

DFW17L

Mon May 11, 2020 2:26 pm

"Felt uncomfortable...". If you truly felt it was unsafe, you'd head for the exit.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 pm

And, umm, what about airplanes that do NOT have a middle seat?

Most "Express" or "Connection" or "Eagle" or whatever brand name the major airline is subletting their commuter operations are on planes that are either 1x2 or 2x2. 717/MD90's and the remaining MD80's are all 2x3.

767's are 2x3x2, A330/A340's are most 2x4x2,

It just has struck me funny how many airplanes do NOT have a middle seat...and people are talking like they do. Leaving that middle seat empty isn't a solution!

smokeybandit

Mon May 11, 2020 2:41 pm

How long? Until there's enough demand to fill middle seats again

NolaMD88fan

Mon May 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Hopefully not too long. If someone is that uncomfortable, they probably shouldn't be flying in the first place.

Miamiairport

Mon May 11, 2020 2:44 pm

There is no way to social distance on an a/c. No one is forced to fly. At risk groups shouldn't fly and in fact probably should have never flown pre COVID 19. As my mother was near the end of her life she really wanted me to take her back to Italy before she died. As much as it broke my heart and her's I refused. I knew that a packed a/c was one place she didn't belong. She never forgave me but ultimately I knew I made the right decision. She was not in adequate health to fly and it would not be fair to other paxs and crew if something happened in flight.

acavpics

Mon May 11, 2020 2:49 pm

It should go away once there is accurate fast testing for all passengers and crew BEFORE boarding a flight. It doesn't do much good to find out that a person you were sitting next to has tested positive only hours after being stuck with them on a flight.

Starfuryt

Mon May 11, 2020 2:56 pm

It's not like leaving the middle seat empty actually does anything, you are stuck in the same tube with the same people for hours, breathing the same air. As far as I'm concerned I still probably have a higher chance of being involved in a crash on the way to the airport than actually getting sick on the airplane itself.
People need to get a grip, don't want to be on a full aircraft, don't fly. Rent a car and drive across the continent if it makes you feel better. The chances of you getting into an accident along the way are probably orders of magnitude higher and no one is going to write about it in the news.

jayunited

Mon May 11, 2020 3:04 pm

airhansa wrote:
Asia has the history of MERS and SARS to draw information form, and I can't remember there being any social distancing on planes during those epidemics, but obviously the only one I'm familiar with is SARS and that was a long time ago.

Theoretically, I expect the social distancing measures at western airports and airlines to remain until a vaccine is widely available. This would probably mean that the middle seat will be vacant until the start of 2021.

Because this was United this made the news here in Chicago last night and most people had the same thought middle seats should be vacant until a vaccine. However not everyone agree because if airlines blocked middle seats until there is a vaccine who pays for all those empty seats on every flight? What we have seen as a result of COVID-19 is ticket prices have not fallen they have remained steady or even in some cases prices have gone up. Blocking middle seats will only increase prices even further because airline will not absorb the cost they will pass that cost on to every customer who flies.

Secondly we all are waiting for this wonderful vaccine but no one is talking about if the vaccine will be mandatory or optional. Think about measles there is a vaccine available for measles but not everyone is vaccinated against measles. Remember last year there we're several high profile incidents of passengers traveling on flights with confirmed measles. How will airlines confirm a person is vaccinated the last time I flew I don't recall being asked to show my immunization records to confirm I've been vaccinated against measles. People have absolutely gone insane with fear over the coronavirus. Even once a vaccine is available there will be no way for an airline to confirm a passenger has been vaccinate especially in the U.S..

Airlines will continue to require passengers wear face coverings, airlines will continue to provide passengers hand sanitizer, but social distancing while onboard will soon be a thing of the past.

CriticalPoint

Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm

jayunited wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Because this was United this made the news here in Chicago last night and most people had the same thought middle seats should be vacant until a vaccine. However not everyone agree because if airlines blocked middle seats until there is a vaccine who pays for all those empty seats on every flight? What we have seen as a result of COVID-19 is ticket prices have not fallen they have remained steady or even in some cases prices have gone up. Blocking middle seats will only increase prices even further because airline will not absorb the cost they will pass that cost on to every customer who flies.

Secondly we all are waiting for this wonderful vaccine but no one is talking about if the vaccine will be mandatory or optional. Think about measles there is a vaccine available for measles but not everyone is vaccinated against measles. Remember last year there we're several high profile incidents of passengers traveling on flights with confirmed measles. How will airlines confirm a person is vaccinated the last time I flew I don't recall being asked to show my immunization records to confirm I've been vaccinated against measles. People have absolutely gone insane with fear over the coronavirus. Even once a vaccine is available there will be no way for an airline to confirm a passenger has been vaccinate especially in the U.S..

Airlines will continue to require passengers wear face coverings, airlines will continue to provide passengers hand sanitizer, but social distancing while onboard will soon be a thing of the past.

Agree with everything Jay. I didn’t get the flu shot until my daughter made me in order to visit my newborn grandson.

Dallas

Mon May 11, 2020 3:13 pm

jayunited wrote:

Well, maybe because United sent an email out saying “we are automatically blocking all middle seats” and then they didn’t. Once again United shot themselves in the foot by not following their own policy they set 10 days prior.

CriticalPoint

Mon May 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Dallas wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Well, maybe because United sent an email out saying “we are automatically blocking all middle seats” and then they didn’t. Once again United shot themselves in the foot by not following their own policy they set 10 days prior.

That’s actually NOT what it said. It said they would prevent you from selecting a middle seat when you book.

EMB170

Mon May 11, 2020 3:17 pm

I think why this made news in particular is the fact that UA actually went ahead and said they were blocking middle seats. The passenger who originally tweeted this story out actually showed where on its website UA had said that. So then for UA to turn around and say "just kidding" made everything look like it was putting profits over people's health.

According to its website, DL is blocking middle seats. On regional aircraft (or in domestic First cabins), they're doing what the European airlines do, which is block off every other, e.g. if 1A and 1C are full, 1B and 1D get blocked, but 2A and 2C get blocked while 2B and 2D get sold. Do we know why UA chose to claim it was blocking middles and then failed to do so?
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

raylee67

Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Not anything controversial really. I think WestJet and Air Canada have started blocking the middle seat a few weeks back. And I just received a email from JAL saying that they will enforce social distancing on the planes and will no longer allow passengers to choose their seats (which means they are blocking seats really).

The empty middle seats will be there as long as there is a demand for it. Yes, I mean a demand for the empty seat. Currently, there is no demand for air travel so the middle seat is just left empty naturally anyway. As long as the majority of the public do not want to fly, that seat will continue to be left empty naturally. When there are more and more people getting onto the plane, I am sure airlines will test opening these seats up. They may even allow several rows with empty middle seats (but more expensive ticket) and others with normal sitting. It's not difficult to please both groups.really, as long as the "uncomfortable" ones are willing to pay up.

Honestly, I would be one of the uncomfortable ones and I would have no problem paying more so that no one sits besides me. And on long range flight, I would just go for business class with airlines that do 1+2+1 on their A330, A350, 787 or 777.

In any case, for international travel, the reduced demand will be in place for much longer. As long as countries are blocking entries of non-citizens and enforcing 14-day self-isolation for anyone traveling across border, there is no international travel to speak of. Countries with less cases will open up with each other first. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are now opening the border between each other. NZ and Australia are opening domestic travel and are starting to discuss opening up to each other. But NZ did say it will still be a few months before it is willing to open up to each other. Hong Kong is discussing with Macau in opening up to each other. For countries that do not get things under control (which unfortunately include popular countries such as Spain, Italy, France, UK, Brazil and US), the other countries will continue to close their border against them. So the middle-seat question is not really there. I doubt there are more than 50 passengers on any of the 777, A350 or 787 that are still flying long haul flights.
Last edited by raylee67 on Mon May 11, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

ikramerica

Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm

What United is seeming to be saying is that the flight was booked with middle seats empty, then they took the group of 25 medical professionals for free and basically filled up all the seats.

Which begs the question, why won't they let you book your own family with the middle seat, when they will then stick a non-rev there? Unless I was understanding the policy wrong, you can't reserve a middle seat.

Maybe if you call, and can get through (good luck), they will put families together?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

MIflyer12

Mon May 11, 2020 3:30 pm

acavpics wrote:
It should go away once there is accurate fast testing for all passengers and crew BEFORE boarding a flight.

If you're waiting for immediate, all-passenger testing for the ~900 million boardings in the U.S. last year you really should be thinking you're never going to fly again.

CriticalPoint

Mon May 11, 2020 3:32 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
It should go away once there is accurate fast testing for all passengers and crew BEFORE boarding a flight.

If you're waiting for immediate, all-passenger testing for the ~900 million boardings in the U.S. last year you really should be thinking you're never going to fly again.

I think sometimes people can’t grasp how many people fly every day. 2.5 million a day just in the US......astronomical price.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Middle seat blocking is heath/security theater.

jfklganyc

Mon May 11, 2020 3:40 pm

Im about to get on a flight with all middle seats blocked

-1 meaning oversold with 15 stbys

Meaning the middle seats won’t go empty

That’s that

VSMUT

Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 pm

8 flights as a passenger over the past week since Lufthansa announced they would start using the middle seats. Flew on several airlines. Only 2 of the flights had blocked seats, both Air France. All flights except one were sold out of available seats in economy. On the one that wasn't full, operated by British Airways, seat selection was unavailable and passengers had been placed in the same rows, despite multiple vacant rows being available. At least the crew started spreading passengers out once boarding was complete.

But it should also be said that flights have been cut down to just 1 per day or less between the biggest European cities and hubs, so those that do need to fly are being clumped together on what few flights are left. I'd expect flights to be less full for a period once airline ramp up their production, because passenger demand will be lagging.

LNCS0930

Mon May 11, 2020 4:08 pm

airhansa wrote:

What I suspect will be highly likely is that younger adults will fly more frequently, but that older adults will refrain from flying and consequently travel agency airlines (e.g. TUI) and leisure airlines (e.g. Jet2) will be the most affected. I also doubt that there is a market for so many low cost airlines in Europe, and I except to see some consolidation, with many of the "airline group" low cost carried folding and possibly mergers for the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet into bigger airline groups.

It won’t be that long. Maybe 2-4 more months. If there’s strong demand for travel over the holidays airlines aren’t going to run excessive amounts of flights for the sake of keeping the middle seats open. If the demand is there the policy will be scrapped rapidly

par13del

Mon May 11, 2020 4:12 pm

So has it been confirmed that the FAA etc will mandate that airlines leave middle seats vacant?
In the UK are talking about arriving pax going into quarantine for 2 weeks, France has already been removed from that so.....

LNCS0930

Mon May 11, 2020 4:36 pm

par13del wrote:
So has it been confirmed that the FAA etc will mandate that airlines leave middle seats vacant?
In the UK are talking about arriving pax going into quarantine for 2 weeks, France has already been removed from that so.....

The FAA is not getting involved in that. The airlines will then ask the feds for more money to reimburse them for being forced into a policy they don’t want.

Osubuckeyes

Mon May 11, 2020 4:44 pm

If airlines can fill the middle seat they are going to do it. Their policies aren't even policies because as far as I've seen they mostly aren't capping bookings, which would be the thing that actually prevented full flights like this. Even then they've reduced flying so much that existing bookings have consolidated on to relatively few flights making LFs higher as more passengers come to travel.

Maybe this will encourage airlines to make it easier to sell extra empty seats to passengers. I have thought for a long time that was a revenue stream that was untapped as revenue over an extra seat is counted without any additional flying weight. (I realize its not as simple as that though)

As for people complaining about packed flights, zero sympathy for them, you chose to fly and therefore accept the risk of things like this happening. I think this is just the beginning of low hanging fruit for news/social media outrage... I see several months of "flight shaming" ahead especially as LFs inevitably rise.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 11, 2020 4:56 pm

The corona-karens are going to be out in full force shaming anything and everything. Flight, travel, anything shaming is going to be through the roof the next few months as things slowly ramp-up.

You should see how bad people shame others in our community FB page. If they see people playing basketball at the park for example.

Airlines are always rip for shaming in good times, this is just more fodder. The for cnn to ramp-up the fear-mongering and shaming meter!

cat3appr50

Mon May 11, 2020 7:34 pm

The flight from KEWR to KSFO with the 25 doctors and nurses aboard, was reported by one of the doctors on board via Twitter that it was a completely full flight. This story is all over the media today. That was UAL Flight 2264 B738, Reg. N77536 C16Y150 (166 max. passengers). The 25 doctors and nurses were flown free originally from San Francisco to NJ and then back from NJ to San Francisco by UAL.

It’s not a stretch that all of those 25 doctors and nurses on that flight were fully protected with approved N95 masks, and some even wore a second protective mask. It goes without saying that the other (around) 140 passengers most likely didn’t have approved N95 protective masks. So IMO the health of those doctors and nurses wasn’t endangered regarding CV. Therefore, one would have thought that one of the other non-doctor/nurse paying passengers would have been the one to complain, given that the American public can’t purchase approved N95 masks, and since the plane was noted as “full” they would have been most vulnerable.

The big question is, why don’t non healthcare workers have access to purchase approved N95 masks, and particularly for airline flights (and IMO those over 60 yrs. old-the unquestionably most vulnerable to CV- should also have available to them and be allowed to purchase same for general public use as well)? In fact, IMO airlines themselves should provide approved N95 masks and a personal size of approved hand sanitizer for every flight for every passenger (and if they need to charge $5-10 for the mask and hand sanitizer in the ticket price, so be it). By far the greatest defense against CV for the flying public is having/using (properly) an approved N95 mask and hand sanitizer. Why isn’t this the aviation norm for the time being? It’s ridiculous for the general public having to fly on airline flights currently with only a homemade mask.

Want to make the flying public feel safer in returning to fly on airline flights, and greatly increase the airlines revenue and number of passengers flying? Airlines provide the approved N95 masks and hand sanitizer as highest priority on each flight, and have each passenger pass a non-contact temperature (fever) measurement before boarding, along with appropriate social spacing, and continuation of the daily full aircraft sanitization.
Last edited by cat3appr50 on Mon May 11, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blerg

Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Until airlines realize that there is enough demand to sell them.

amcnd

Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Block middle seats= distraction of all airlines and loss of jobs. If your sick, have a compromised immune system, don’t fly, or fly corporate..

VSMUT

Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm

amcnd wrote:
Block middle seats= distraction of all airlines and loss of jobs. If your sick, have a compromised immune system, don’t fly, or fly corporate..

Perhaps you didn't get the memo yet, but with this virus you can be sick and contagious for well over a week before showing symptoms.

acavpics

Tue May 12, 2020 12:19 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
acavpics wrote:

I think sometimes people can’t grasp how many people fly every day. 2.5 million a day just in the US......astronomical price.

Fine, maybe not every single passenger. But, they could at least do this in airports in metro areas that have had a large number of cases or flare ups. And also in major international airports that house pathogens from all over the world. I'd expect all NYC area airports (or at least EWR & JFK) to do something like this, given the havoc that COVID wreaked on New York last month, largely due to it being an international hub.

PITingres

Tue May 12, 2020 1:16 am

cat3appr50 wrote:
...So IMO the health of those doctors and nurses wasn’t endangered regarding CV. Therefore, one would have thought that one of the other non-doctor/nurse paying passengers would have been the one to complain, given that the American public can’t purchase approved N95 masks, and since the plane was noted as “full” they would have been most vulnerable.

I'd have to go back and re-read, but my take on the doctor's tweet was that he was concerned for the other people on the flight who may have thought that they were flying on a middle seat empty flight. The 25 doctors and nurses have been working in a virus saturated environment for what, 6 weeks? I guess we'll see the results in 2-3 weeks after the asymptomatic period.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

DTWLAX

Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 am

airhansa

Tue May 12, 2020 4:37 am

It's entirely reasonable that airlines will increase prices to ensure social distancing on planes, and I have stated that I doubt many low-cost airlines would be able to stand alone (either merging or being gobbled up) until 2021.

On the point about the vaccine, the vaccine is about individual flyers protecting themselves, so a flyer is willing to sit next to an infected person as long as the flyer is vaccinated.

mmo

Tue May 12, 2020 5:15 am

For anyone who is worried about flying on a "crowded aircraft", this article might offer some relief.
https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... protection
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

seat1a

Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 am

Here's the answer! I even like the Halston uni's.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/b6/b4 ... 2292be.jpg

seat1a

Wed May 13, 2020 12:09 am