Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

More airlines not following their own social distancing policies

Mon May 11, 2020 4:35 pm

We have all seen the two AA flights where flights got cancelled and two flights were packed.

Now it appears UA an a ewr-sfo flight (according to the article) on a 737 packed including middle seats.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/doctor-f ... ers-scared

This seems particularly troubling based on this being a long flight. Why didn't they follow their own rules of keeping middle seats empty

1.Why couldn't they have upgauged the flight to a larger plane
2.Couldn't they have moved some passengers to other flights

Stories like this make me not want to step foot on a plane anytime soon. It seems so avoidable given how empty so Most flights are

MIflyer12

Re: More airlines not following their own social distancing policies

Mon May 11, 2020 4:48 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Are you just trolling with this?

32andBelow

Mon May 11, 2020 4:51 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
We have all seen the two AA flights where flights got cancelled and two flights were packed.

Now it appears UA an a ewr-sfo flight (according to the article) on a 737 packed including middle seats.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/doctor-f ... ers-scared

This seems particularly troubling based on this being a long flight. Why didn't they follow their own rules of keeping middle seats empty

Stories like this make me not want to step foot on a plane anytime soon. It seems so avoidable given how empty so Most flights are

Do you really think 17 inches makes a difference?

ADent

Mon May 11, 2020 4:56 pm

United doesn’t have any rule on a requirement for empty middle seats.

Though we cannot guarantee that all customers will be seated next to an unoccupied seat, based on historically low travel demand and the implementation of our various social distancing measures that is the likely outcome.

They seem to state they will maximize empty middles and most flights are so empty, it is not a problem. However this mentioned flight wasn’t empty.

1. Not sure. Do they have empty wide bodies on standby at EWR? Do they have standby crew at the airport?

2. United says they have waived change fees, so the flyers could have rebooked themselves.

santi319

Mon May 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Moderators do we need two threads on this? Its just trolling at this point..

simairlinenet

Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 pm

https://hub.united.com/united-coronavir ... distancing
Though we cannot guarantee that all customers will be seated next to an unoccupied seat, based on historically low travel demand and the implementation of our various social distancing measures that is the likely outcome.

Limiting seat selections in all cabins, so customers won't be able to select seats next to each other or middle seats where available.

gwrudolph

Mon May 11, 2020 5:00 pm

I think it is a fair point and question. Why with all of the additional aircraft and crews couldn’t they have scheduled an extra section when it became apparent the flight was starting to sell pretty heavily. When you sit in a row of three, you are not only close to each other, but also physically touching each other and sharing surfaces such as an armrest.

I’m a big United fan, but I thought their response was insensitive and canned. The response talked about how they are deploying additional cleaning techniques and transporting medical workers, but didn’t address the issue. At least American said they will try to do better!

32andBelow

Mon May 11, 2020 5:03 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
I think it is a fair point and question. Why with all of the additional aircraft and crews couldn’t they have scheduled an extra section when it became apparent the flight was starting to sell pretty heavily. When you sit in a row of three, you are not only close to each other, but also physically touching each other and sharing surfaces such as an armrest.

I’m a big United fan, but I thought their response was insensitive and canned. The response talked about how they are deploying additional cleaning techniques and transporting medical workers, but didn’t address the issue. At least American said they will try to do better!

Because each airline is burning like 20 million dollars a day

PDXBJV

Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 pm

32andBelow wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

This, it doesn't matter, you're sharing the same air, and 17 inches is not going to protect you. If YOU don't like it, don't board an aircraft, it's that simple.
TK787 PDX-BJV direct????

32andBelow

Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm

PDXBJV wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

This, it doesn't matter, you're sharing the same air, and 17 inches is not going to protect you. If YOU don't like it, don't board an aircraft, it's that simple.

Wear an n95 and dress accordingly if you are that afraid.

scntekir

Mon May 11, 2020 5:23 pm

santi319 wrote:
Moderators do we need two threads on this? Its just trolling at this point..

Better yet, can we just kill the entire thread? I come here to avoid political click bait.
A wiser person than me said "lead, follow or get out of the way". I have been trying to "get out of the way" ever since...

slcdeltarumd11
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 5:29 pm

I forget airlines never do anything wrong crowd is out . They are not following their own safety guidelines

United is flying tons of empty flights everyday. Surely they could have swapped something here to a larger plane to offer more spacing in these times.

Or called the people to offer a different flight . Looks like maybe it was yesterday the 1pm flight. 2 of the 3 flights were totally empty. The later 787 was wide open. They could have called people and put them on the later flight with plenty of room.

I am just saying this looked TOTALLY avoidable if united did one of many things. Literally a flight a few hours later was wide open could easily have handled the middle seat customers on the 1pm. With all the empty seats out there the only way this happens was united doing nothing at all to prevent it.

BrianDromey

Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I am just saying this looked TOTALLY avoidable if united did one of many things. Literally a flight a few hours later was wide open could easily have handled the middle seat customers on the 1pm. With all the empty seats out there the only way this happens was united doing nothing at all to prevent it.

But 17" is still a lot less than 2m separation, for which there is some evidence. And what about the people in the row behind? Should the aicrat actually be filled in a checkerboard pattern, not just empty middle seats. And what about F, its 2-2 on a 737. No middle to leave empty. So what should United do, load F to 50%?

airportugal310

Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I forget airlines never do anything wrong crowd is out . They are not following their own safety guidelines

United is flying tons of empty flights everyday. Surely they could have swapped something here to a larger plane to offer more spacing in these times.

Or called the people to offer a different flight . Looks like maybe it was yesterday the 1pm flight. 2 of the 3 flights were totally empty. The later 787 was wide open. They could have called people and put them on the later flight with plenty of room.

So you come here with an agenda, get called out on it, and then wonder why everyone turned on you...and then proceed to defend your agenda...oooook. Seems like a typical a.net kind of day
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

PowerJet

Mon May 11, 2020 6:02 pm

In the end, it always comes down to the customers choice.You don't have to fly if you don't feel safe, and booking extensions are free. If everybody thought like that, then all the flights would be middle seat-less. Also, sooner than later (as in sooner than this all gets resolved) people will be returning to the skies anyway.

Miamiairport

Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Airlines are not going to social distance. No way, no how. If that bothers you stay home or take alternate means of transportation. Elderly and/or people with significant health issues should never be on a commercial aircraft, even outside of COVID 19. I would, never ever take an older frail or sick person on an a/c. Typical the world should bow down to me attitude.

AA94

Mon May 11, 2020 6:14 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

The UA policy is to soft block the middle seat which gives the GA more control over seating families/companions together and for physical distancing. They're not actually hard capping flights to sell fewer seats. If that makes you uncomfortable, don't board.

Not to mention the WB fleet is mostly tied up doing cargo runs, which are the only things bringing in cash in this day and age. It's not a matter of simply upgauging aircraft, there are aircraft routing and crewing issues to solve as well. But you already knew that.

gwrudolph

Mon May 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Wonder if the rows across from the flight attendant jump seats were still empty?

For all of you saying the customer has the option of not flying, you’d better hope they don’t continue to take that option . . . Better to fly at 66 percent loose factor than 10

Miamiairport

Mon May 11, 2020 6:56 pm

Some of the widebodies are being temporarily sent to storage until International flying returns. The airline simply can't pull a plane out of it's rear end. Even the airports aren't social distancing. I just walked past an airport bar at MIA and there are groups sitting at tables.

primetimeDC9

Mon May 11, 2020 6:59 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

You are probably right, and my guess would be that United would have accommodated anyone who felt threatened enough to switch to a later flight. The facts are that the middle seat ain't gonna do much. Even when the middle seat is empty its far from 6ft to the person nearest you. People that willingly get on a plane knowing that there is some level of risk, like going to the grocery store, should own that risk. For what it's worth airplane travel is the most well protected of all public transport with circulated air passed through HEPA filtration and electrostatic cleansing which protects surfaces for up to 30 days being done at regular intervals (this can be found on the CDC websites). On a related note, I found it interesting that people were so offended when Frontier offered to sell blockage of a middle seat, where they were accused of trying to profit from fear. This protects the people who feel, right or wrong, that this protection is warranted and allows for others who feel otherwise buy cheaper tickets. People that think that the airlines are going to forego making money and gift seats to anyone are living in a fantasy world. This is historically the worst moment in modern aviation history, airlines will either fill the middle seats or charge everyone else more money to pay for the middle seats so that they can try to survive. If you don't want to risk infection, lock your doors and stay home. If you want to or have to travel then you have to assume a small level of risk and do what you can to protect yourselves by wearing face masks and washing hands.

DTWLAX

Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 am