Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Amazing trips you’ve had to cancel

Mon May 11, 2020 10:13 pm

The current pandemic got me thinking. What other times have you had to cancel a long anticipated trip and for what reason?

I had to cancel my first Concord trip because my supervisor broke his back, and I had to step in.

I had to cancel the final United 747 because my husband was hit by a car.

For the same reason, we cancelled a trip to India.

When I was a teen, I was supposed to bike across Europe, but I got into a biking accident during the training and had to cancel.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

Joelatbsl

Re: Amazing trips you’ve had to cancel

Mon May 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Well, Barcelona is an amazing place at the best of times, but I suppose my trip there in two weeks time will not take place for now.

Gotta wait for more shots like these for a while then ...

MDGLongBeach

Tue May 12, 2020 4:56 am

Nothing Amazing but we were going to go to SLC to tour USU as it's one of the colleges I'm considering attending, and cancelled PHX, for which we were going to attend spring training games, also got cancelled. Only special thing about the trip was that we were gonna take the newly started DL mainline LGB-SLC service on an A319 and by the looks of the current situation and speculation, we may never see mainline DL service here again. It's the little things that chip the most off the tooth sometimes.

bluestreak

Tue May 12, 2020 7:30 pm

In 2014, I had a dream trip planned for New Zealand. About 4 or 5 days before I was scheduled to leave, I came down with the flu. I was in bed about 3 days with a fever. I was still very weak the day I was scheduled to leave, and knowing I had a very long journey ahead of me, I knew I would be unable to make the trip. I cancelled the trip, and still have not been able to visit New Zealand. I got married the following year, and you know how that goes! She would love to go, but obviously it will not happen anytime soon.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"

BWIAirport

Wed May 13, 2020 5:27 pm

I was scheduled to fly my first 747-8 this June, but that's looking like it's not going to happen. We're going to postpone, not cancel, the ticket. Who knows what the flight will end up being.
Next flight: 6/4 LH401 JFK-FRA A388
6/5 LH260 FRA-GOA CRJ9
*Virus-permitting*

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

conaly

Thu May 14, 2020 6:57 am

While I was in Nepal in 2018, I had to cancel the flight to Lukla. Was waiting for six+ hours at the airport for good weather at the destination. Didn't clear up, so I cancelled completely (didn't have any days to spare, my flight back home would've been two days later).
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

PI4EVR

Thu May 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I canceled an April trip to Tokyo and on to Guam to visit family, and a trip I would have departed on today May 14th was a flight to Denver and a continuing journey on Amtrak California Zephyr to San Francisco, and then flights home from there.
I had little trouble with refunds and re-deposits of airline and hotel miles, so I'll just bump up both trips, plus a hoped for visit with friends in London for 2021. In the meantime, I live in Florida and will simply enjoy a "staycation" with my dog, and figure out a few "tankful" of car visits once things clear up and open up a bit more safely.
Keep safe everyone and don't be discouraged that travel in the short term is not recommended. We'll soar again.

wlter88

Fri May 15, 2020 7:12 pm

I had to cancel a travel to morocco

n729pa

Sat May 16, 2020 8:42 pm

I was due to go to LHR-MEL next week and that was cancelled but I've ban saving my FF points for a first class return LHR-SYD with QF for 9 years finally got enough so booked it last September for this August but that's had to go too. I got all my points and money back (had to just pay the taxes) and hopefully have to try again at some point in the future.

910A

Sun May 17, 2020 5:03 pm

The cruise line only canceled this trip at the first of the month, but was supposed to cruise for 17 days from Bali to Fiji, with lots of WWII history..oh well Cruise line is putting up a fight about refunding the fare, even though they canceled..Was going to fly JAL in business to SIN from SAN and FJ in business back to SFO.

BritTraveller

Sun May 17, 2020 5:08 pm

I was meant to fly to Budapest in June then interail through Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia & Italy :(

LH658

Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 am

Easter Weekend trip to Calgary on UA, canceled due to Corona.

melpax

Fri May 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Booked a round the world ticket 3 years back when I attended a Friend's wedding in Mexico. Worked out the same price as flying back home via New York... Booked MEL-LAX-LAS-CUN-LHR-CDG-HKG-MEL. Was looking forward to the CUN-LHR leg, was meant to fly on the Eidelweiss A340-300 to Zurich, then a Swiss C-series to LHR. Then to Paris on Eurostar, flying to Hong Kong on Swiss, before returning back to MEL. However I fractured my wrist the night before the wedding when I slipped over at the resort in Play Del Carmen. Thought I did well to survive the boy's weekend in Vegas beforehand! Was the subject of a trip report at the time.

Travel insurer insisted I return home to Melbourne, CUN-IAH on United, IAH-AKL & AKL-MEL on NZ. The CPB line at IAH made LAX look good....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1371667&p=19767625#p19767625
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

ChrisKen

Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 am

n729pa wrote:
I was due to go to LHR-MEL next week and that was cancelled but I've ban saving my FF points for a first class return LHR-SYD with QF for 9 years finally got enough so booked it last September for this August but that's had to go too. I got all my points and money back (had to just pay the taxes) and hopefully have to try again at some point in the future.

Why you paying taxes on something that never happened? Claim it back. The airline must refund any APD because you aren't travelling, they are legally obliged to refund it (although many attempt to keep hold of it). VAT must be refunded too. Any Airport fees should be refunded also, as they are usually based on enplaned pax, you can bet your bum the airline won't be paying those 'per pax' fees if you're not travelling.
Any refund should be FULL and complete.

zrs70
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Op here. I thought I was clear in my opening. I meant to ask, aside from the current pandemic, what extraordinary trips have people had to cancel in their lives?
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

KLMatSJC

Mon May 25, 2020 8:25 am

Just cancelled a great trip to BOM in June/July

SJC-PHX on WN
PHX-ORD on AA
ORD-AMM-AUH on RJ
AUH-HYD on EY
HYD-BOM on AI

BOM-CMB on UL
CMB-DOH-LAX on QR
LAX-SJC on AA (OO)
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

A340500

Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm

In 2016 I was supposed to fly JFK-AMS-LUX-ZRH-VIE, with KL 744, KL F70, LX Avro RJ100 and Helvetic E190. This was effectively my birthday gift. I made the first leg, but fell asleep waiting for my flight to LUX, being a stupid overambitious teenager flying alone for the first time (not much has changed), having barely slept the night before the flight and having decided to watch Spectre during the flight, which was as disappointing as the reviews promised. Ended up spending upwards of 400€ to book direct to VIE that night and pay for the no-show on the Lufthansa Group booking since I was flying VIE-STR-AMS-JFK on the way back. In that sense I was lucky because that meant I still got to fly on the OS F100 and KL F70, but not the Avro, which has since been missing from my wishlist.

This year I was supposed to attend the Eurovision song contest, but I was planning a detour to DUB first to fly on the Cityjet Avro, finally being in a position to spontaneously plan something like that financially and in terms of free time. Now the most recent announcements from Cityjet indicate the retirement of the Avro, and I have to assume that's with immediate effect (though I'm not sure what will be flying EI's DUB-LCY legs when they come back if it is, I don't think the CRJ is rated for LCY)

Looks like finding an opportunity to get on a Jota charter might be the best shot, but maybe an Iran or Phillipines trip will be sooner than anticipated...

In any case I've now booked the Do328Jet on FDH-DUS, to satiate my hype for a high-winged jet, and tick off another long-time (and final non-Russian, except for the BAe/Avro) item on my list. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, a lesson everybody seems to be learning right now.

cpd

Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 pm

Planned to go back to France again (back to Megeve and then down to Nice) but that’s off, I swapped it over to next year.

I do miss it, but I don’t want to get sick.

directorguy

Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 pm

In 2014 I had a car accident and had to cancel the annual family trip to England. It was a rough time but things got better later on. I ended up visiting the US and Greece same year in the fall.

In 2015 I had to cancel a trip to Malaysia because my dad fell ill. It was a last minute cancellation. I ended up going 6 months later.

In Dec 2018 my family and I were planning on spending a few weeks in France (Strasbourg and Paris) and AMS. My mom had a foot injury which required us to cancel our trip. As luck would have it, we ended up missing the Strasbourg shooting incident. Had my mom not injured her foot, we would have been there at the time and had a horrific experience (if not worse). As luck would have it, my mom got better quicker than expected and I quickly rebooked a fresh set of tickets, hotels etc. We ended up doing just one week in Europe but was a great trip.

In retrospect I realize I’ve been lucky with all my trips. Even when I don’t have enough money or time to travel it always works itself out. I’ve had many trips work themselves out last minute.

This began to change as soon as 2020 rolled in. Initially I was planning a bunch of trips- Saudi Arabia in Feb, Thailand in April. Nothing was ever booked as all my plans sort of fizzled out. Then the pandemic hit and it became clear I’m not going anywhere. It’s interesting that my good luck when it came to travel was ending right around when the pandemic took off.

What keeps me going is the feeling that once this dry spell is over (and we begin to emerge from this pandemic) hopefully things will once again be in my favor.

SirMS

Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 am

I was planning on visiting Greece in June (SFO-LHR-ATH or something of the sort), luckily didn’t book anything

Vasu

Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:

SJC-PHX on WN
PHX-ORD on AA
ORD-AMM-AUH on RJ
AUH-HYD on EY
HYD-BOM on AI

BOM-CMB on UL
CMB-DOH-LAX on QR
LAX-SJC on AA (OO)

That really does sound good. Is the trip still on for when things clear up?

Nomadd

Fri May 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Grace Jones in Melbourne.

KLMatSJC

Fri May 29, 2020 11:47 pm

Vasu wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

SJC-PHX on WN
PHX-ORD on AA
ORD-AMM-AUH on RJ
AUH-HYD on EY
HYD-BOM on AI

BOM-CMB on UL
CMB-DOH-LAX on QR
LAX-SJC on AA (OO)

That really does sound good. Is the trip still on for when things clear up?

Nope. It's gone. I was really looking forward to doing the AI 744, but it really looks unlikely it will ever happen at this point.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

max999

Sun May 31, 2020 7:48 am

Was planning to attend Gamescom in Köln in August. It's the biggest video game convention in Europe, if not the world.

I fear that big conventions with thousands of people might all be cancelled until a vaccine comes out.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

bluestreak

Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 pm

A340500 wrote:

This year I was supposed to attend the Eurovision song contest, but I was planning a detour to DUB first to fly on the Cityjet Avro, finally being in a position to spontaneously plan something like that financially and in terms of free time. Now the most recent announcements from Cityjet indicate the retirement of the Avro, and I have to assume that's with immediate effect (though I'm not sure what will be flying EI's DUB-LCY legs when they come back if it is, I don't think the CRJ is rated for LCY)

I was also planning to take a side trip to DUB from LCY for this reason in late June. Obviously that was canceled, and it now looks as if the Avro will remain absent from my logbook.

I had planned to fly on it a couple of times before, but something always happened, weather, mechanical, or corona virus! The same is true with the A-220, weather, mechanical, and corona virus has cancelled those plans so far! Argh!

But the A-220 will be around for a while, sadly, the Avro will not.
"Well, we barely made the airport, for the last plane out, as we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout"