Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

miguel0881
Topic Author

American Deported from FRA in the Time of Corona

Fri May 15, 2020 4:38 pm

This is a hilariously sad story.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/love-time-cov ... d=70662186

A young American flew UA from IAD-FRA and posed as a janitor on arrival to try to circumvent COVID travel restrictions and see his German girlfriend. Not surprisingly, he was caught and deported.

My only question: why did UA allow him on the plane? My only guess is that he was ticketed IAD-FRA-LHR, and so could transit FRA, but not sure he sounds sophisticated enough for that kind of planning!

Just hope it wasn't his first (very short) trip to Europe!

lesfalls

Re: American Deported from FRA in the Time of Corona

Sat May 16, 2020 8:42 pm

I know someone who flew from Spain to HAM before the whole thing happened who tried to do the same thing (except no tricks) before the borders shut down and they still denied this person. The person talked to IB and they said that the person in question would be able to enter. In the end the person was forced to return to Spain. Airlines in the end seem to not know the regulation of what is in place from having helped this person in this experience and seem to not have taken the proper action as this happened in February so they seem to not want to take the blame.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

VSMUT

Sun May 17, 2020 12:03 pm

miguel0881 wrote:
My only question: why did UA allow him on the plane? My only guess is that he was ticketed IAD-FRA-LHR, and so could transit FRA, but not sure he sounds sophisticated enough for that kind of planning!

There have been issues with different lists of essential jobs lists (ergo, professions allowed to enter Germany) being issued to immigration in Frankfurt and those sent to airlines and airports around the world. I witnessed a few legitimate business travellers being detained by the police for the night and expelled the next morning. Heck, just connecting through Frankfurt can be risky at the moment, since everyone is processed through the zoll, and the zoll officers can be pretty demanding in seeing proof of why you are travelling.

DTWLAX

Sun May 17, 2020 6:28 pm

lesfalls wrote:
I know someone who flew from Spain to HAM before the whole thing happened who tried to do the same thing (except no tricks) before the borders shut down and they still denied this person. The person talked to IB and they said that the person in question would be able to enter. In the end the person was forced to return to Spain. Airlines in the end seem to not know the regulation of what is in place from having helped this person in this experience and seem to not have taken the proper action as this happened in February so they seem to not want to take the blame.

Why did this person have to go through immigration in the first place? Spain and Germany are Schengen countries and people could move freely between the countries prior to the COVID-19 shutdown.

lesfalls

Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Why did this person have to go through immigration in the first place? Spain and Germany are Schengen countries and people could move freely between the countries prior to the COVID-19 shutdown.

Thats the interesting point. Germany supposedly already introduced border controls right before they announced it publicly. Was quite rude to my opinion.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.