Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WN732
Topic Author

Calling Delta

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Has anyone tried reaching out to Delta in the past few days? I have been trying to make a change to a reservation for the past 3 days. Unfortunately for some reason this reservation cannot be changed online. But at any rate, I have not been able to get through the phone system for 3 days. Has anyone else had any luck?

PI4EVR

Re: Calling Delta

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Unusual delays for some reason in the last few days as well & unable to change the booking online. My travel office attempted to call DL yesterday and after sitting on hold for 1.5 hours the call disconnected. The agent re-dialed and received a recording "We are unable to take your call at this time."
Telephone system problems or call volume requiring an agent's assistance on every call?

NWAESC

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:32 pm

We've had several people come out to the airport saying the same thing. Not sure what's going on these last few days...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

maps4ltd

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Try Twitter. They're usually pretty good.
Delta Gold Medallion

evank516

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:20 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Try Twitter. They're usually pretty good.

Nah, even their social media team was slow to respond this week. Their call back feature was down as well. I had to fix a snafu with a schedule change (I like ATL, but I don't want to spend 5.5 hours there) and they told me I would have a hold time over two hours and didn't give me the callback option. Fortunately the hold only ended up being about 40 minutes.

SRQLOT

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Unfortunately it’s been like that since middle of March. I tried to get a hold of Delta multiple times over the past few months. Calling wait times have been really bad at times 4.5 hours or more or they just disconnected the call. I emailed and get a response a month later. Still waiting for a response from my email over 3 weeks ago. I think they just cut so much they are overwhelmed, there is a reason AA has been quicker in their response.
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

DFW17L

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:00 pm

Layoffs?

IPFreely

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:32 am

DFW17L wrote:
Layoffs?

That's probably a big factor. A lot of front line phone support people may also be "working" from home since March or April.

NWAESC

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 am

Nobody's been laid off, least of all from RES. Some of it is too many people took leaves, and some of it is the system simply being overwhelmed. Lots of agents are returning in the coming days/weeks.

In the meantime, if it's an option for you, come out to the airport! Yeah, you shouldn't have to do that, but it still beats 4.5 hour hold times.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

eng46lt

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:10 pm

I have read the comments on this thread and the other thread that got locked. I have had to reschedule, or cancel, numerous flights with Delta throughout this pandemic. In each case, I knew going in that I WOULD NOT get someone on the phone within a reasonable amount of time. The one thing I have not seen here is that anyone followed the procedure for a return phone call and never got one. Each time I did just that and in extremely less time than quoted, I received the return call. The last one said nine hours to call back and it was around two hours.

If you insist on instant gratification you will be disappointed. If you follow the directions and ask for a return call I think you will find a very helpful voice on the other end of the phone.

klm617

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:34 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Nobody's been laid off, least of all from RES. Some of it is too many people took leaves, and some of it is the system simply being overwhelmed. Lots of agents are returning in the coming days/weeks.

In the meantime, if it's an option for you, come out to the airport! Yeah, you shouldn't have to do that, but it still beats 4.5 hour hold times.

My question would have been knowing what lies ahead why would any reservation agents be granted leave to begin with.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

IADCA

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:30 pm

klm617 wrote:
NWAESC wrote:

My question would have been knowing what lies ahead why would any reservation agents be granted leave to begin with.

If you need to cut payroll and someone offers to take an unpaid furlough - even someone not paid much - it might make sense to take it from management's view, and that could be a directive that might come from too high for managers who actually see a direct impact on the operation to be able to resist.

They also have probably been impacted by the reality that with schools, daycares, and summer camps closed in a huge number of places, a lot of people are having to take leaves to take care of children, even if they have no desire to do so. In that case, as a manager you're facing a choice between granting a leave and that person quitting. Or it could just have been poor planning. But point is, there are a number of possibilities that can pile up. Clearly the result here isn't good, though.

flyinggoat

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 am

I had to change a flight I have in July, and getting ahold of Delta was pain. I tried several different number, and for each number I tried, they just hung up on me. I then tried their texting feature that is part of the Delta app. I texted a bot for a few minutes, then waited about five hours for a rep to text back. Then I received a text that said they were closed and to try again the next day. I texted the bot again at about 8:30am, and finally got a reply from a real rep around 4:00pm. They sent a couple texts, and then I guess his/her day was done, so I got transferred to another rep. The texting was slow (I think they were helping multiple people at once), but after about two hours of texting back and forth, I got my ticket changed. The rep was actually really great though, and once I got to the point of texting a real person, I'd say my experience was pretty good.

ryanov

Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:35 am

Twitter works fine. Might take a few days when it's really busy, but unless your flight is right away, what difference does it make?

flyinggoat

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:20 am

ryanov wrote:
Twitter works fine. Might take a few days when it's really busy, but unless your flight is right away, what difference does it make?

Well, if a person is trying to modify their flight and have to pay any fair differences, waiting several days, like my case, to get through to somebody could be the difference of a few hundred dollars. I was even thinking about canceling my Delta flight, taking the e-voucher, and buying a whole new round-trip ticket with AA (cheapest option at last minute). That whole ordeal would of cost me $350+ more than I had already paid flying DL. Thankfully, after several days of trying, I was finally able to text the Delta rep, and she was able to modify my ticket without any additional charges.

millionsofmiles

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:29 am

My brother needed to reschedule his Delta flights due to a change in business plans this week, and has finally thrown in the towel on the airline. He said he just didn’t have days to devote anymore to try to get something done by Delta.

SRQLOT

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:58 am

I finally received my $145 travel voucher 2 weeks ago after waiting a month, but to make a flight reservation I have to call. So yeah that will be fun, but right now Delta has been really pricey anyway so have been holding off on using it.
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

roadrunner165

Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 pm

With very specific instructions - I was able to change an entire reservation - by text message - in less than 10 minutes with Alaska Airlines. :box:

Too-da-loo! :wave: :spin:

SRQLOT

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 pm

I did the text thing with Delta few days ago and it was quick too. So glad I didn’t have to wait hours on the phone.