Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Shortest Time Between Inauguration and Cancellation (i.e. TPA-SEA 2020)

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 pm

So I was fortunate to fly on the first TPA-SEA flight DL flew back on March 11th. I will remember that flight for many reasons.

1. It was the first time I flew on an inaugural flight
  2. It was where I was when watching the announcement live that all Transatlantic flights to the States were suspended due to COVID19
  3. It was one of the best steaks I ever had and was super surprised how good DL first class meals were

But besides that, it got me thinking. With BTS data out for March, it appears the route ran from March 11th to March 25th (two weeks to the day). Now not counting charters, one-offs, Super Bowls, Olympics, etc... this has to be one of the shortest shelf life's of a flight from inauguration to cancellation when the route was planned to be permanent.

Anyone else know of any flights that were planned to be permanent, but had a shorter shelf life than this one (or close to as short as this one)?

On a personal note, it does make me sad. TPA is such a great airport and their growth was amazing for the 7 years we have lived there. I have to imagine much of their growth routes will get the axe as they were fairly niche. Good for a great economy, non-essential for a bad one. But time will tell.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

Ishrion

Re: Shortest Time Between Inauguration and Cancellation (i.e. TPA-SEA 2020)

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:10 pm

How long did Royal Air Maroc’s Casablanca to Beijing Daxing flight last after inaugurating in January 2020? A week or two?

MAH4546

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Alaska Airlines YVR-SNA back in 2002 or so. The inaugural flight took off from Vancouver, and only then was it disocovered that SNA was not capable of handling international flights (that has since changed), even if they preclear. Flight diverted and route was cancelled.
a.

hOMSaR

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 pm

Wow Air cancelled New Delhi barely a month or so after launching it. Of course, the whole airline went bust a short time after that.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

santi319

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Alaska Airlines YVR-SNA back in 2002 or so. The inaugural flight took off from Vancouver, and only then was it disocovered that SNA was not capable of handling international flights (that has since changed), even if they preclear. Flight diverted and route was cancelled.

Lol priceless

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archiv ... g=alaska23

Antarius

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:43 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Wow. That's unbelievable.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

FLYKTPA

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:52 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
So I was fortunate to fly on the first TPA-SEA flight DL flew back on March 11th. I will remember that flight for many reasons.

2. It was where I was when watching the announcement live that all Transatlantic flights to the States were suspended due to COVID19
  3. It was one of the best steaks I ever had and was super surprised how good DL first class meals were

But besides that, it got me thinking. With BTS data out for March, it appears the route ran from March 11th to March 25th (two weeks to the day). Now not counting charters, one-offs, Super Bowls, Olympics, etc... this has to be one of the shortest shelf life's of a flight from inauguration to cancellation when the route was planned to be permanent.

Anyone else know of any flights that were planned to be permanent, but had a shorter shelf life than this one (or close to as short as this one)?

On a personal note, it does make me sad. TPA is such a great airport and their growth was amazing for the 7 years we have lived there. I have to imagine much of their growth routes will get the axe as they were fairly niche. Good for a great economy, non-essential for a bad one. But time will tell.

TPA-SEA nonstop is still for sale on DL’s website. Looks to be returning August 1st.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

stl07

Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Ah, yes. The priceless gem of a route.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

TTailedTiger

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:22 pm

Northwest announced LGA-DFW and then canceled it before it ever operated. They did it in retaliation for AA starting LGA-MSP.

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:32 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

TPA-SEA nonstop is still for sale on DL’s website. Looks to be returning August 1st.

I certainly hope that is the case. It would surprise me, but a pleasant surprise.

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:34 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

That. Is. Amazing.

bradleybygrave

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Loganair launched Norwich Airport (NWI) to Den Helder Airport (DHR) 5 days a week back in March 2013. The inaugural flight had 1 outbound passenger and none on the return, unsurprisingly it got cancelled after less than 2 weeks and very few of the flights in that period actually operated!

Miamiairport

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:56 pm

[quote="TTailedTiger"]Northwest announced LGA-DFW and then canceled it before it ever operated. They did it in retaliation for AA starting LGA-MSP.[/quote

IIRC LGA/MSP only lasted a few months on AA. Flown on an MD80.

FlyingElvii

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:11 am

SuseJ772 wrote:

Almost every route by Skybus, and Peoplexpress II?

hoons90

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 am

AA ORD-NGO, SJC-TPE lasted around half a year.

For a COVID-19 related example, LX ZRH-KIX inaugurated on March 1st and operated until March 18th. It's possible that this route will return, though.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

DeltaRules

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:06 am

SuseJ772 wrote:

DL announced CMH-SEA and DFW-SEA and AS answered with CVG-SEA a few weeks before COVID. The last I heard/saw, CMH-SEA been pulled from the schedule through at least January.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Ishrion

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:31 am

DeltaRules wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:

DL announced CMH-SEA and DFW-SEA and AS answered with CVG-SEA a few weeks before COVID. The last I heard/saw, CMH-SEA been pulled from the schedule through at least January.

Pretty sure Delta completely pulled SEA-DFW. Originally it was delayed from June to August but now it's not showing through May 2021.

evank516

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:32 am

FLL-DAB on 3M. Started in January 2019 and was axed in June 2019.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:42 am

Northwest, Amsterdam-Bengaluru. I believe cancelled the day it was scheduled to begin.

Ziyulu

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 am

Didn't AA's DFW to PEK initially get announced and then cancelled due to the length or something like that?

whatusaid

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 am

FAT-HNL on HA for Pleasant Hawaiian. The L1011 made one flight. The planned weekly flights were cancelled well in advance of the first actual flight for a lack of bookings, but the first departure did take place. Not sure if the return ever did. The same PH charter operated previously by Western on a 707 with a weekly SMF-FAT-HNL routing. The 1011 was too much capacity for FAT at the time.

IADCA

Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 pm

EK announced DXB-PTY but never actually began service.

SCQ83

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:19 pm

Air Europa started Madrid-Eilat (Israel) flights in winter 2018/2019.

https://www.preferente.com/noticias-de- ... 79506.html

The idea was to fly once weekly for holiday makers but demand was so abysmal that they just flew for a couple of weeks.

KLMatSJC

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:02 pm

IADCA wrote:

Well there's tons of those. They don't count
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

IADCA

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:32 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
IADCA wrote:

I suspect there are fewer where the airline actually took bookings for the new route and then decided not to start it when it was two weeks away from launching, which seems relevant to what the OP was asking. But sure, you go on and decide what "counts" or not.

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
IADCA wrote:

As the OP, I agree more with KLMatSJC. ;) But still find your details interesting.

I was looking for regular routes, that got started, and then cancelled. Even those that I'd say it was decided to cancel before start don't really count in my book. Other than that YVR-SNA, I don't think I have anybody mention a regularly scheduled routing, that started with every intention of running, and then was cancelled quicker than than TPA-SEA (assuming it does not in fact come back as some have mentioned it might).

IADCA

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:21 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
IADCA wrote:

As the OP, I agree more with KLMatSJC. ;) But still find your details interesting.

I was looking for regular routes, that got started, and then cancelled. Even those that I'd say it was decided to cancel before start don't really count in my book. Other than that YVR-SNA, I don't think I have anybody mention a regularly scheduled routing, that started with every intention of running, and then was cancelled quicker than than TPA-SEA (assuming it does not in fact come back as some have mentioned it might).

Well, fair enough :D It may be a little early to see if these are permanent, but another one right in the same boat as yours is WN HOU-CZM, which started March 9 and stopped on the 22nd.

MartijnNL

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
Northwest, Amsterdam-Bengaluru. I believe cancelled the day it was scheduled to begin.

So no inaugural flight? Then it doesn't count for this thread.

MartijnNL

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 pm

IADCA wrote:
I suspect there are fewer where the airline actually took bookings for the new route and then decided not to start it when it was two weeks away from launching, which seems relevant to what the OP was asking. But sure, you go on and decide what "counts" or not.

Shortest time between inauguration and cancellation. This route didn't start, there was no inauguration, so it doesn't count. There are more announced routes with tickets sold which the airline decides not to start. But that's not what we are looking for here.

MartijnNL

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 pm

hoons90 wrote:
For a COVID-19 related example, LX ZRH-KIX inaugurated on March 1st and operated until March 18th. It's possible that this route will return, though.

I was hoping to fly this route, because of the A340. Let's hope ZRH-KIX will return and Swiss will stil operate the type.

IADCA

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:53 am

MartijnNL wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Shortest time between inauguration and cancellation. This route didn't start, there was no inauguration, so it doesn't count. There are more announced routes with tickets sold which the airline decides not to start. But that's not what we are looking for here.

Which the OP subsequently clarified, and I acknowledged...

SuseJ772
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:18 am

hoons90 wrote:
18 days. Close. And also interesting too. Hopefully the route will return.

IADCA wrote:
Well, fair enough :D It may be a little early to see if these are permanent, but another one right in the same boat as yours is WN HOU-CZM, which started March 9 and stopped on the 22nd.
Yeah, I figured it may be a bit premature. But I don't know why I am cynical, but I feel like any newly started routes that subsequently were stopped, don't make it back. Hope I am wrong though. WN routes do "feel" more solid for some reason than the Legacies right now (just a gut feeling, no hard data of course).

gunsontheroof

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 am

MAH4546 wrote:

Whoa, that's a deep cut (and a pretty funny example). I was a couple years away from lurking around here when that happened, but I feel like I would have at least heard of that in another thread. Always learn something new around here!
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

TheEuphorian

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:01 am

Back in 1990(?), TG briefly flew to HEL via DUS for 2 months before killing it off due to the recession caused by the Gulf War.

Also, in 2016, TG relaunched flights to IKA, but it was quickly killed off after like 6 months due to the risk of U.S. sanctions.

debonair

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:40 am

MAH4546 wrote:

Same with CLUB AIR, the very first flight to Tirana, Albania, departed without permission to land... Diverted to Skopje, FYRM. Albanian national passengers were forced to stay aboard, as none was holding a valid visa for entry into FYRM. After this odyssey, the plane returned with the passengers to Italy...

MartijnNL

Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:33 pm

IADCA wrote:
Which the OP subsequently clarified, and I acknowledged...

Yes, sorry about that. I only saw it after I had made the reply.

Gulfstream500

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 am

The OneJet MKE focus city was one of the shortest durations between focus city or hub inauguration and cancellation.
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?

directorguy

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Egyptair began flying to HKG via BKK twice a week in September 2018. The route was suspended in August 2019. Probably wasn’t the greatest time to start that particular destination.

eastafspot

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 am

In June 2019, Air Tanzania (V4) restarted DAR-JNB with an A220 for 2 months only as service got axed in September 2019.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !