Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Beachwave24
Topic Author

Flying on Frontier w/ Pet For First Time

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm

I am going to be flying with my 12lb dog for the very first time using Frontier Airlines. My soft pet carrier is slightly taller than the required maximum carrier height size posted on their website. Could this be an issue at the gate? Do they measure? Could I be denied? I feel like whenever I bring a backpack onboard it always sticks out from under the seat a bit and the flight attendants never seem to care.
Has anyone every flown with a soft pet carrier on frontier that’s been slightly bigger than their size requirement and had issues?

PI4EVR

Re: Flying on Frontier w/ Pet For First Time

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:56 pm

I have traveled with an 11 pound Maltese mix and use a soft sided Sherpa backpack kennel. The biggest issue for you is that the carrier fit under the seat in front of you and the dog at least has the ability to scoot around in it. My dog learned the sound of the engines spooling up for takeoff and he'd scoot around to face forward for takeoff. I've traveled with him on AA/US, DL, and WN and had no issues from him or staff, but I follow the rules and don't push boundaries like him running loose in the gate area or taking him out of the kennel during flight. He is always quiet and I've had no behavioral situations with him ever.
You'll hand carry him through security so have him in your arms when you approach the TSA agent to show your boarding card. You'll be directed through the scanner and have a hand swipe for explosives at the end of the line and you're done. Minimize other carry-ons because you'll be busy handling your pet.
Don't do the trip cold turkey of simply putting the dog in the kennel and off you go. Make a game of it and get the animal used to the kennel ahead of time with you carrying it, and take him to ride in the car in it a couple times. Include in a side pouch a jar lid you can use for a drink of water from a fountain, a washcloth and a small toy. I covered the bottom of the kennel with a worn t-shirt so he smells his normal environment. Do not feed or water him immediately prior to travel to minimize the urge to relieve himself. Look up locations of pet comfort stations in or outside the terminals.
I've consistently found all airline staff friendly and helpful when they see you traveling with a pet. I've never had an issue with them or fellow travelers who observe him traveling with me. And in my case, my dog is a lot quieter than most kids and you'd never know he was on board.
Relax by doing some prep for you and the dog and enjoy your trip.
P.S. My backpack kennel keeps me hands free so very convenient when using the restroom. I did not want to put his kennel down on the floor to use the urinal.
If you have to, use a stall toilet as floor area bigger and cleaner than a urinal area.

Beachwave24
Topic Author

Re: Flying on Frontier w/ Pet For First Time

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Thank you for all of your tips on traveling with a dog! The t-shirt idea is smart! He hates the carrier, and I only have 1 week to get him used to it. I put treats inside of it but he still tries to scratch his way out of it. I know it's gonna be tough on him, but luckily its only a 2 hour flight. I do have meds for him that I give him daily, but they don't seem to help with the carrier.