Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Josh76040
Topic Author

Delta Air Lines liquidation scenarios

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:09 pm

With the extreme investment loss in foreign JVs, and the uncertainty of travel, especially international, returning to pre-COVID levels anytime soon, I was thinking about the possible liquidation scenarios and carve-ups that might result from a Delta shutdown.

JFK/LGA - Would B6 be the natural successor to Delta on International routes out of JFK? Moving the T4A airlines to T4B, and then building a connector between T4 and T5 would give B6 space to expand the operation, especially with an extension to T4A, as well as whatever is going to replace T7. LGA would be simple takeover of terminal space and slots.

ATL - WN may finally reassert itself and return to levels previously flown out of ATL by its merger partner, Airtran. With the Delta monopoly out of the picture, ATL become Balkanized with numerous airlines stepping in to pick up the crumbs that WN doesn’t want.

DTW/MSP - I don’t see MSP recovering from a Delta shutdown as quickly as DTW. DTW could become a fortress hub for Spirit quite easily, perhaps leaving MSP to a revitalized Sun Country or even Allegiant. It’s also not unreasonable to consider the possibility of someone like Alaska or Jetblue deciding to establish a secondary hub in one of these cities like Piedmont did with DAY in the 80s.

SLC - Too close between SFO and DEN to be useful to UA. AA wouldn’t want it because it’s too close to PHX, and WN wouldn’t want it because it’s too close to DEN. Unless an LCC wants to step in, or unless B6 or Alaska want to create a hub there, SLC might go the way of CVG.

LAX - AA and UA will pick up the pieces of the Delta liquidation, and WN will continue its strategy of stable growth. T1 would be linked airside with the former Delta Terminals 2 and 3, eliminating the need for T0.

SEA - AS will continue to dominate, and will consider International expansion, forming an AS multi-directional fortress hub.

As for the foreign JVs, LATAM is a lost cause.
KLM-Air France could form a JV with either AA or B6.
Korean would probably go it alone. AeroMexico would join Oneworld and fill the void left by Mexicana’s demise.
Virgin Atlantic needs to call it a day and merge with BA. The VS termination of LGW is going to prove problematic. The writing is on the wall.

dcajet

Re: Delta Air Lines liquidation scenarios

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:06 am

For real? What a morbid thought. And then the carve up! Please...

Delta would probably the last one standing, together with Southwest.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

catiii

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 am

Josh76040 wrote:
With the extreme investment loss in foreign JVs, and the uncertainty of travel, especially international, returning to pre-COVID levels anytime soon, I was thinking about the possible liquidation scenarios and carve-ups that might result from a Delta shutdown.

JFK/LGA - Would B6 be the natural successor to Delta on International routes out of JFK? Moving the T4A airlines to T4B, and then building a connector between T4 and T5 would give B6 space to expand the operation, especially with an extension to T4A, as well as whatever is going to replace T7. LGA would be simple takeover of terminal space and slots.

ATL - WN may finally reassert itself and return to levels previously flown out of ATL by its merger partner, Airtran. With the Delta monopoly out of the picture, ATL become Balkanized with numerous airlines stepping in to pick up the crumbs that WN doesn’t want.

DTW/MSP - I don’t see MSP recovering from a Delta shutdown as quickly as DTW. DTW could become a fortress hub for Spirit quite easily, perhaps leaving MSP to a revitalized Sun Country or even Allegiant. It’s also not unreasonable to consider the possibility of someone like Alaska or Jetblue deciding to establish a secondary hub in one of these cities like Piedmont did with DAY in the 80s.

SLC - Too close between SFO and DEN to be useful to UA. AA wouldn’t want it because it’s too close to PHX, and WN wouldn’t want it because it’s too close to DEN. Unless an LCC wants to step in, or unless B6 or Alaska want to create a hub there, SLC might go the way of CVG.

LAX - AA and UA will pick up the pieces of the Delta liquidation, and WN will continue its strategy of stable growth. T1 would be linked airside with the former Delta Terminals 2 and 3, eliminating the need for T0.

SEA - AS will continue to dominate, and will consider International expansion, forming an AS multi-directional fortress hub.

Korean would probably go it alone. AeroMexico would join Oneworld and fill the void left by Mexicana’s demise.
Virgin Atlantic needs to call it a day and merge with BA. The VS termination of LGW is going to prove problematic. The writing is on the wall.

Sure. Okay...

Insertnamehere

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:22 am

Delta is probably the best international carrier in the US to weather the storm. They have tons of aircraft paid off and have very successful fortress markets across the US. With the accelerated retirement of their 777 and their MD80 and 90 fleet they have shown to quickly cut fat. The US3 that would be closest to going under would be American considering how laden they are with debt. AA's debt is so bad they actually have a negative book value per share

usdcaguy

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 am

I don't see their international investments bringing them under. The US economy might, however.

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:21 am

Wow. This thread is nonsense. This is the perfect example of someone trying to sound smart and educated about something they know nothing about. As mentioned, Delta is probably in the best shape to weather the storm of the U.S. majors.

SmokinL1011

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:49 am

Josh76040 wrote:
DTW/MSP - I don’t see MSP recovering from a Delta shutdown as quickly as DTW. DTW could become a fortress hub for Spirit quite easily,

DTW a fortress hub for Spirit? What have you got against the people of southeast Michigan?!

fjnovak1

Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:56 am

Is this thread for real?
Go Blue!!

alfa164

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:34 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Wow. This thread is nonsense. This is the perfect example of someone trying to sound smart and educated about something they know nothing about. As mentioned, Delta is probably in the best shape to weather the storm of the U.S. majors.

... from someone who just joined A.net three weeks ago... now suddenly a new "expert" on the airline industry...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

crownvic

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 am

Well, there is a thread about making the AN-225 a passenger plane, so it does make this thread plausible :)

Italianflyer

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:57 am

I'm sorry dark one....but no matter who is in the WH or running the Congress, the Feds are not going to let any major liquidate.
Period.
See the auto industry circa 2008/9 for more details.

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 pm

alfa164 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

... from someone who just joined A.net three weeks ago... now suddenly a new "expert" on the airline industry...

:roll:

Ok, since your longevity on here is any importance or indication of your knowledge on this site or how valid one is, I’ve been around here for five years now, is that long enough for you to feel come with my post? lol. Nice try.

klm617

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:15 pm

SmokinL1011 wrote:
Josh76040 wrote:
DTW/MSP - I don’t see MSP recovering from a Delta shutdown as quickly as DTW. DTW could become a fortress hub for Spirit quite easily,

DTW a fortress hub for Spirit? What have you got against the people of southeast Michigan?!

LMAO In reality American would set up shop at DTW post haste if Delta liquidated.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Boeing757100

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:27 pm

Hope ur wrong about the possible DL liquidation. Like others have said, I think DAL and LUV will be the last standing. But anyways, I want to be a Delta pilot when I grow up, so i hope this is all a thought.

millionsofmiles

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:05 am

DL’s BOS operations, facilities and slots would go to either B6 or AA.

millionsofmiles

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:11 pm

klm617 wrote:
SmokinL1011 wrote:
Josh76040 wrote:

LMAO In reality American would set up shop at DTW post haste if Delta liquidated.

Makes sense. In a DL liquidation, DTW goes to AA whIch then allows UA fortress hub status at ORD. Win-win.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:56 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Makes sense. In a DL liquidation, DTW goes to AA whIch then allows UA fortress hub status at ORD. Win-win.

Chicago is a much much more important destination than Detroit. Even though AA is and will likely always be #2 in ORD, there is no way they would trade #2 at ORD for #1 at DTW. There is no requirement for DTW to be a hub. In the event of a DL liquidation, DTW would most likely lose major hub status much like STL, CVG, CLE, and others have when the number of airlines was reduced in the past.

n2dru

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:14 am

IPFreely wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Chicago is a much much more important destination than Detroit. Even though AA is and will likely always be #2 in ORD, there is no way they would trade #2 at ORD for #1 at DTW. There is no requirement for DTW to be a hub. In the event of a DL liquidation, DTW would most likely lose major hub status much like STL, CVG, CLE, and others have when the number of airlines was reduced in the past.

I agree..American wouldn't leave ORD for DTW. Maybe cherry pick the business routes to Asia/Europe but not a hub like it is now. I think UA would be the major to hub ATL if DL was gone. Filling their SE US hole. Maybe AA would move CLT ops since its a much larger market. ATL would not go without a hubbing carrier for long. WN would definitely benefit as would NK and Frontier. Maybe B6 would add more. But all this is moot but interesting to think about nonetheless.

millionsofmiles

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:34 pm

IPFreely wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:

You’re right. No city has a demand right to a hub, and history has proven that cities with at one time formidable hubs are not immune to de-hubbing,

A Delta liquidation would more than likely result in the same fate for the city as befell STL, CVG and CLE. The same fate could fall to SLC.

Gonzalo

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Josh76040 wrote:

This is the most ridiculous post I’ve seen here in a very very long time, probably ever, and I’m reading this forums for 15 years now. You should try to collect reliable information and known facts before playing with speculations, otherwise, you end up with this kind of non sense.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

klm617

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:12 am

n2dru wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

I agree..American wouldn't leave ORD for DTW. Maybe cherry pick the business routes to Asia/Europe but not a hub like it is now. I think UA would be the major to hub ATL if DL was gone. Filling their SE US hole. Maybe AA would move CLT ops since its a much larger market. ATL would not go without a hubbing carrier for long. WN would definitely benefit as would NK and Frontier. Maybe B6 would add more. But all this is moot but interesting to think about nonetheless.

I assure you that Delta's hub at Detroit generates more revenue than American's hub at Chicago. It's not about the city you hub at it's about the bottom line. Detroit would not be without a hub airline for lone if Delta liquidated. Whether many believe it or not Delta is a very important business center and revenue generator there is a reason Delta hubs her remember it's been cited several times in the forum what a well run company Delta is with smart management and that is why Detroit is a hub for them.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

millionsofmiles

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:24 am

klm617 wrote:
n2dru wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

I assure you that Delta's hub at Detroit generates more revenue than American's hub at Chicago. It's not about the city you hub at it's about the bottom line. Detroit would not be without a hub airline for lone if Delta liquidated. Whether many believe it or not Delta is a very important business center and revenue generator there is a reason Delta hubs her remember it's been cited several times in the forum what a well run company Delta is with smart management and that is why Detroit is a hub for them.

What about MSP then in a Delta liquidation? By your argument, AA should move its ORD hub flying to DTW, giving UA fortress hub status at ORD. Does MSP dehub?

IPFreely

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:24 pm

klm617 wrote:
I assure you that Delta's hub at Detroit generates more revenue than American's hub at Chicago.

You assure me? Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Please prove your statement.
Also please be aware that earnings are more important than revenue.

klm617

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:
n2dru wrote:

What about MSP then in a Delta liquidation? By your argument, AA should move its ORD hub flying to DTW, giving UA fortress hub status at ORD. Does MSP dehub?

I think for sure MSP gets picked up as a hub by somebody maybe by AS that would seem to be a good fit for them. Perhaps maybe even by AA splitting their operation at ORD between DTW and MSP. SLC seems like it would be a good place for B6 to step in.

klm617

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 pm

IPFreely wrote:
klm617 wrote:
I assure you that Delta's hub at Detroit generates more revenue than American's hub at Chicago.

There is plenty of data here in these forums to back up my comment.

IPFreely

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 am

klm617 wrote:

No, there isn't. In fact your own previous posts contradict your post in this thread. You are well-known for continually pointing out how DL continually cuts destinations from DTW in favor of ATL. They wouldn't keep doing that if DTW generated as much revenue and profit as you claim.

millionsofmiles

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:16 am

klm617 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Then you should have no problem posting it. Let’s see it.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:18 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Then you should have no problem posting it. Let’s see it.

No need to embarrass the poster any further. He's done a good enough job of that himself.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:57 am

United would move in to ATL, and LAX.
American would take over JFK and SEA.
SWA and LCCs will pick at the rest, with probably Spirit and AK duking it out in SLC. F9 picking up CVG.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

millionsofmiles

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
SWA and LCCs will pick at the rest, with probably Spirit and AK duking it out in SLC. F9 picking up CVG.

I can see UA taking back market share at LAX after a Delta liquidation, taking over the renovations to Terminals 2 and 3, and moving. While they have an FIS in Terminal 7, IIIRC, the access to additional gates in Bradley may encourage the move.

Interesting point about ATL. Finally, UA would get the southeast hub many say it lacks. The OP referred to the Balkanization of ATL, but a replacement carrier building their own hub is more likely.

IPFreely

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:55 am

millionsofmiles wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I can see UA taking back market share at LAX after a Delta liquidation, taking over the renovations to Terminals 2 and 3, and moving. While they have an FIS in Terminal 7, IIIRC, the access to additional gates in Bradley may encourage the move.

Interesting point about ATL. Finally, UA would get the southeast hub many say it lacks. The OP referred to the Balkanization of ATL, but a replacement carrier building their own hub is more likely.

If and when DL liquidates UA would take market share at LAX, but so would AA. UA's commitment to SFO as a hub and Pacific gateway probably would not change. UA might pick up ATL as a SE hub, but I can't see it being what it is today for DL. International flights from ATL, especially to Europe, would be limited w/o cannibalizing IAD flights. If ATL became a hub again w/o DL it would likely be a smaller domestic-focused hub. I agree AA would take back JFK and BOS although B6 isn't going anywhere. At SEA there isn't much for AA to take since AS has actually increased market share since DL established their hub. MSP would be an interesting place for AS to establish a hub outside of the Pacific northwest. SLC and DTW would likely lose major hub status. I'm not counting NK at DTW as "major" and none of the other majors need SLC or DTW as anything but spokes in their existing networks.

millionsofmiles

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 am

IPFreely wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

If and when DL liquidates UA would take market share at LAX, but so would AA. UA's commitment to SFO as a hub and Pacific gateway probably would not change. UA might pick up ATL as a SE hub, but I can't see it being what it is today for DL. International flights from ATL, especially to Europe, would be limited w/o cannibalizing IAD flights. If ATL became a hub again w/o DL it would likely be a smaller domestic-focused hub. I agree AA would take back JFK and BOS although B6 isn't going anywhere. At SEA there isn't much for AA to take since AS has actually increased market share since DL established their hub. MSP would be an interesting place for AS to establish a hub outside of the Pacific northwest. SLC and DTW would likely lose major hub status. I'm not counting NK at DTW as "major" and none of the other majors need SLC or DTW as anything but spokes in their existing networks.

MSP definitely would be a good choice for an AS hub outside the PNW. I also can see SLC losing hub status in a Delta liquidation.

PANAMsterdam

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:47 am

With Delta out of the way, I think Pan Am will definitely benefit from that at JFK. Their Terminal 3 could use some expansion.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.