Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Exeiowa
Topic Author

Frequent Flying, Status and Coronavirus

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:34 pm

So one of the things that makes flying palatable to many is the accumulation of perks by frequently using the service. One of these is status this thing which will give you benefits in the future to your level of comfort. a lot of flights that are used to build a persons status are from company payed travel. Right now travel is down across the board for understandable reasons, however this means that a lot of people who would be putting the miles and/or dollars (or local equivalent) in normal circumstances by flying right now, are not accumulating these points. Therefore come the end of the year when they total up the points for next years reward they will be lacking.

What effect might this have on peoples behaviour, when confronted with a drop in status will people switch carriers because the barrier is lower, make people decide against flying as much. Will people use partners less to accumulate rewards because it will not make a difference?

Interested in peoples thoughts, and peoples planned action who would be affected by this themselves.

davidjohnson6

Re: Frequent Flying, Status and Coronavirus

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm

My understanding is most airlines are just extending people's FF existing status by an extra 12 months. Likely to be far more accurate than drastically cutting mileage needed to hit each tier level. Maybe review this at the end of 2020

TMccrury

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Delta has extended our status through the end of 2021. If we do manage to achieve a new level between now and then it rolls over into the new year as well. They have also extended our memberships to the SkyClub for an additional 6 months past the end of our current membership. I used miles to pay for mine. It is super nice to be able to duck into one on longer layovers and be where it is quiet and have some food and drinks. There are a limited number of clubs open at the present time and the food offerings are all prepackaged. Still a nice place to go.

TMccrury

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Delta has extended our status through the end of 2021. If we do manage to achieve a new level between now and then it rolls over into the new year as well. They have also extended our memberships to the SkyClub for an additional 6 months past the end of our current membership. I used miles to pay for mine. It is super nice to be able to duck into one on longer layovers and be where it is quiet and have some food and drinks. There are a limited number of clubs open at the present time and the food offerings are all prepackaged. Still a nice place to go.

steveinbc

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Air Canada extended my status in early May until end 2021. They also eliminated the one year rule on account activity.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

hhslax2

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:00 pm

AA has extended status, as well as lowering thresholds to get higher status this year. I like the latter, since I'm still flying during this. First week in the past 6 that I haven't been on a plane.

jetblueguy22

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:29 pm

WN extended my A List through next year and gave me credits to make achieving A List easier when my company lets us get back to traveling.

Honestly it may make people considering a switch to a new airline, but it kind of had the opposite effect for me. I appreciate they recognize that achieving status will be more difficult this year and they gave me a leg up to still make it going forward. My stepdad is Diamond on DL and he said the same thing. It’s just good business to do what they did. I really think that anybody who is going to switch already had it in mind pre pandemic.

If anything, FF programs aren’t going to make people switch, it will be how airlines set up their schedules when things get back to normal.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club