Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Sdmccray1984
Topic Author

Why No Delta to BGI???

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:43 am

As enormous an airline as Delta has become, especially after their NW merger, it stuns me that they refuse to serve BGI (Barbados). My lady and I were looking up airfares for our vacation, and I couldn’t believe DL has pulled out of that market despite the massive feed DL collects at ATL. Answers?

Ishrion

Re: Why No Delta to BGI???

Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:46 am

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
As enormous an airline as Delta has become, especially after their NW merger, it stuns me that they refuse to serve BGI (Barbados)

They tried again in 2014 but left in 2017: https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/11759853

For what it’s worth, United doesn’t serve BGI either?

jetblueguy22

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:13 am

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
As enormous an airline as Delta has become, especially after their NW merger, it stuns me that they refuse to serve BGI (Barbados). My lady and I were looking up airfares for our vacation, and I couldn’t believe DL has pulled out of that market despite the massive feed DL collects at ATL. Answers?

Why do you deserve an answer as to why an airline flies a route? Probably isn’t money to be made so they used the airframe somewhere else. Massive feed doesn’t mean anything
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

luckyone

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 am

Delta in general play second fiddle in the Caribbean to AA,B6, and NK. It’s likely the route isn’t actually that massive from the US considering only AA and B6 have consistently served BGI. Meanwhile, UK holiday airlines fly in a lot more passengers.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 am

Doesn't Delta have a feeder deal with WestJet? And WestJet on it's turn serves Barbados from their hub in Toronto.

dfwjim1

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Good question. Occasionally I will check out the AA vacations package and more times then not the packages involving Barbados are offered at a discount. Perhaps it is because 1). Barbados is not a Caribbean destination that first comes to mind when Americans are planning a beach vacation and 2). it is a long flight to the Barbados from the U.S. - almost 4 hours from MIA and I am guessing almost 6 hours from ATL..

I am looking forward to traveling there someday though!

jmdc861

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Barbados is known for catering to a very well educated, well heeled visitor. You won't find "Joe Sixpack" in Barbados, he's already on his way to Aruba or elsewhere in the Caribbean.

caribny

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Before the pandemic DL had flights to SKB, and GND, so asking why not BGI is quite legitimate. Maybe BGI choses to concentrate its marketing resources around a smaller range of US carriers. BGI is one of the few Eastern Caribbean destinations (aside from the French territories) where the European market is bigger than the USA.

caribny

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:41 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Good question. Occasionally I will check out the AA vacations package and more times then not the packages involving Barbados are offered at a discount. Perhaps it is because 1). Barbados is not a Caribbean destination that first comes to mind when Americans are planning a beach vacation and 2). it is a long flight to the Barbados from the U.S. - almost 4 hours from MIA and I am guessing almost 6 hours from ATL..

I am looking forward to traveling there someday though!

BGI has actually seen significant growth in the US market over the past few years. The triggers were Sandals opening and B6 expanding service. AA also increased their service out of MIA and CLT. Of course the pandemic might change all of this, but pre COVID BGI had more service from these two carriers than when DL serviced the island, so withdrawal didn't hurt the island.

BGI is also not a cheap destination and its US market is more upscale than are destinations like Jamaica, DR and Cancun. You will see more mass market out of the UK market where there is ample charter service, in addition to BA and VS. BGI is the favorite Caribbean destination for Brits so I expect a recovery once travel restrictions are relaxed, and people get accustomed to new travel regimes..

Boeing757100

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 am

already coverage from Westjet, plus the AA and B6. Also, the fact that UK ppl are more interested in places like BGI. Kinda dissapointing tho, I feel ur pain