Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
OccupiedLav
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:33 pm

With my favorite airline deciding to retire my favorite aircraft this fall, I am trying to figure out a way to catch a ride on one of Delta's 777s one last time (specifically the 777-200LR).

This article from Simple Flying has a bit of information/speculation:
https://simpleflying.com/how-to-fly-on-deltas-boeing-777s-before-retirement/

Does anyone have any more information on the routes they will be flying up to their retirement? Any domestic? Dates?
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Wouldn't you have to be a DL pilot to fly a DL 777?
 
User avatar
Pudelhund
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:31 pm

I have been on the 77L between ATL-LAX back in the before times. You see the internal fleet in LAX rotating like that a lot, maybe coming back from maintenance or Atlantic duty.
 
deebee278
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:30 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
Wouldn't you have to be a DL pilot to fly a DL 777?


Thankyou!!
 
User avatar
acavpics
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:42 pm

I thought they said they were retiring 777s "effective immediately."
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 pm

acavpics wrote:
I thought they said they were retiring 777s "effective immediately."


End of 2020 but recently bumped it to Fall 2020.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 am

You can buy one if you have enough money
 
OccupiedLav
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:02 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
Wouldn't you have to be a DL pilot to fly a DL 777?


Haha that's a good point. I forgot to put on in the title.
 
OccupiedLav
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:03 am

Pudelhund wrote:
I have been on the 77L between ATL-LAX back in the before times. You see the internal fleet in LAX rotating like that a lot, maybe coming back from maintenance or Atlantic duty.


Yeah I checked that route for the next month, and all I'm seeing at the moment is A333s and 763s.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:38 am

OccupiedLav wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
I have been on the 77L between ATL-LAX back in the before times. You see the internal fleet in LAX rotating like that a lot, maybe coming back from maintenance or Atlantic duty.


Yeah I checked that route for the next month, and all I'm seeing at the moment is A333s and 763s.


Didn't Delta usually do ATL-LAX-SYD with the 77L? How will they rotate the 77L into LAX this time?
 
deltaSEAalsaka
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:15 am

Ishrion wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
I have been on the 77L between ATL-LAX back in the before times. You see the internal fleet in LAX rotating like that a lot, maybe coming back from maintenance or Atlantic duty.


Yeah I checked that route for the next month, and all I'm seeing at the moment is A333s and 763s.


Didn't Delta usually do ATL-LAX-SYD with the 77L? How will they rotate the 77L into LAX this time?


Not sure about the 77L rotation, but I believe once LAX-SYD goes to the 350, they won't have to rotate the aircraft between ATL and LAX. It doesn't mean they won't do it though.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:31 am

deltaSEAalsaka wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:

Yeah I checked that route for the next month, and all I'm seeing at the moment is A333s and 763s.


Didn't Delta usually do ATL-LAX-SYD with the 77L? How will they rotate the 77L into LAX this time?


Not sure about the 77L rotation, but I believe once LAX-SYD goes to the 350, they won't have to rotate the aircraft between ATL and LAX. It doesn't mean they won't do it though.


That has me fascinated a bit. Why would they need to for the 77L but not the 350? Not doubting you, just curious what’s different.

I lucked out and flew the 77L ATL-LAX at the end of January. Was suppose to take it back from the Olympics in July. Wouldn’t have thought the January trip was my last.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
adambrau
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:32 am

I saw a DL 777 parked at JFK today as I left work. Not sure what route it might be used on.
JFK Friendly
 
AST1Driver
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:36 am

As of right now, only about a third of the 777s are in service, all flying cargo only. Some have had the seats removed. I doubt that any more will return from storage between now and November . So, unless one gets substituted as an equipment change the odds are very slim of getting on one.
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7006
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:47 am

The only way I see a 777 coming back into service is if SYD gets the green light in the next couple of months. It's loaded for August right now, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it operates.

There's enough A330s, A350s and 767s out there to take care of any international flying right now.
 
deltaSEAalsaka
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:54 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
deltaSEAalsaka wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Didn't Delta usually do ATL-LAX-SYD with the 77L? How will they rotate the 77L into LAX this time?


Not sure about the 77L rotation, but I believe once LAX-SYD goes to the 350, they won't have to rotate the aircraft between ATL and LAX. It doesn't mean they won't do it though.


That has me fascinated a bit. Why would they need to for the 77L but not the 350? Not doubting you, just curious what’s different.

I lucked out and flew the 77L ATL-LAX at the end of January. Was suppose to take it back from the Olympics in July. Wouldn’t have thought the January trip was my last.


I believe its due to what other routes the 350 flies out of LAX. The other destinations it serves from LAX allow for fleet rotation with ATL flights to those cities.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:07 am

deltairlines wrote:
The only way I see a 777 coming back into service is if SYD gets the green light in the next couple of months. It's loaded for August right now, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it operates.

There's enough A330s, A350s and 767s out there to take care of any international flying right now.


Delta announced SYD would resume on July 1, currently loaded 3x weekly on the 77L.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7199
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:30 am

I looked in to a Steve Miller-style trip and it would've included the DL 77L on ATL-LAX. Now it looks like I may not get that opportunity :(
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13135
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:38 am

deltairlines wrote:
It's loaded for August right now, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it operates.

Which is probably a good thing, seeing as Australia just yesterday said that they're extending their closure to non-essential international travel until October, at the earliest.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
ba319-131
Posts: 8310
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 1:27 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:25 am

Ishrion wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
The only way I see a 777 coming back into service is if SYD gets the green light in the next couple of months. It's loaded for August right now, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it operates.

There's enough A330s, A350s and 767s out there to take care of any international flying right now.


Delta announced SYD would resume on July 1, currently loaded 3x weekly on the 77L.


- Australia looks unlikely to open its borders until October at the very earliest
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 am

ba319-131 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
The only way I see a 777 coming back into service is if SYD gets the green light in the next couple of months. It's loaded for August right now, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it operates.

There's enough A330s, A350s and 767s out there to take care of any international flying right now.


Delta announced SYD would resume on July 1, currently loaded 3x weekly on the 77L.


- Australia looks unlikely to open its borders until October at the very earliest


Isn’t United doing a daily SFO-SYD pax flight right now? I’m sure they’re getting in some cargo as well?
 
jayunited
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:01 am

Ishrion wrote:
ba319-131 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Delta announced SYD would resume on July 1, currently loaded 3x weekly on the 77L.


- Australia looks unlikely to open its borders until October at the very earliest


Isn’t United doing a daily SFO-SYD pax flight right now? I’m sure they’re getting in some cargo as well?


United operated 3 cargo charters out of SYD today June 22 plus passenger service on UA870, however Australia's borders are still closed. The only people allowed in the country are Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family members.

In my opinion the only reason UA has continued to serve SYD during this crisis is because of United Cargo, Delta could and perhaps should get in on the cargo action. However, if you as a US citizen are thinking of flying to Australia to get one final ride on a Delta 777 think again because there is a strong possibility it will not happen. Also if recent reports are to be believed Australia borders could remain closed until 2021.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7558
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: How to Fly a DL 777 Before Retirement

Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Atl-JNB 77L is in the schedule for September. That is likely to be an expensive ride. I don't think the intercontinental schedule for September is all that firm.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fuling and 8 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos