Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
Sdmccray1984
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:07 am

Fastest Turnaround Times?

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 pm

Back in February(just prior to covid) I spent a couple weeks in Spain. Transiting through BCN, I was impressed at how fast Vueling Airlines could turn their A321s. They use a 220-seat configuration but turned it in 55 minutes! So it has me wondering what are the fastest turnaround times you guys have seen? Which airports do it best?
 
AA757223
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:09 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 am

I’ve done 10-15 min turns in an EMB145. Granted we weren’t necessarily (and its a tiny airplane!) full nor did we need fuel. I don’t think it’s as airport-specific as it is airline-specific, but that’s just in my experience!

Cheers
 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 1061
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:24 am

In South Africa, FlySafair does 25-30 minute turns on 189-seat Boeing 737-800s.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:25 am

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
Back in February(just prior to covid) I spent a couple weeks in Spain. Transiting through BCN, I was impressed at how fast Vueling Airlines could turn their A321s. They use a 220-seat configuration but turned it in 55 minutes! So it has me wondering what are the fastest turnaround times you guys have seen? Which airports do it best?


55 minutes is not an impressive turn for an A321... many airlines turn narrow bodies in 25-30min. Whilst it's dependent on factors like whether there is a crew change, level of cleaning/catering required, how much fuel is needed, it is certainly possible to achieve some very impressive turns. The most impressive I've seen is a 47min turn on an A330-200, however this was no crew change and no catering services.

Not sure it's so much airport-based but more airline/GHA based. Some airlines (LCCs/ULCCs in particular) are very focused on turn times so invest in it heavily whereas some are not as focused as they schedule longer turns between flights.
 
WeatherPilot
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:38 am

Southwest use to turn planes in 10 minutes.

https://youtu.be/gnFfFRDMd_0
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 1451
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:57 am

Southwest Airlines has entered the chat.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019
 
26point2
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:53 am

The plane I fly BBD GLEX limitations require minimum
15 minutes from landing to take off Due brake heating...brakes need time to get to max temp after landing before a take off is considered. Granted a GLEX is not an airliner and we typically carry 1-2 passengers but 15 mins cannot be beaten (on/off) in my world. We have dropped a pax and turned in 3 minutes then taxied out only to wait and watch the 15 minute egg timer for a few more mins before we can depart.
 
CATIIIevery5yrs
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:40 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:19 am

A long time ago flying the turbo prop commuters we’d do single engine turns. On the EAS routes if no one was getting on or off at a particular stop, the turn time took the length of time it takes to have a new dispatch release handed to you, sign it, hand it back out to the ground crew, close the door, and taxi back out for departure.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3460
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:50 am

For a mainline plane, the gold-standard is 25 minutes. FR can go to extremes with this, as their B738 fleet has built-in airstairs. (If a crew change is needed, then the turnaround time is 40 minutes.) WN and U2 (and related) also seek a 25-minute turn. Stage length might also be an issue with turnarounds, as one has seen being a problem in Hawaii, where one can't do a 25-minute turn on inter-island flights with a non-T-tail aircraft.

Now, a question I have related to the original post is: what's the quickest wide-body turn? When NZ had announced EWR prior to COVID-19, they had planned on a turn-around of less than 2 hours.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 10915
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Sdmccray1984 wrote:
Back in February(just prior to covid) I spent a couple weeks in Spain. Transiting through BCN, I was impressed at how fast Vueling Airlines could turn their A321s. They use a 220-seat configuration but turned it in 55 minutes! So it has me wondering what are the fastest turnaround times you guys have seen? Which airports do it best?


55 minutes is not an impressive turn for an A321... many airlines turn narrow bodies in 25-30min. Whilst it's dependent on factors like whether there is a crew change, level of cleaning/catering required, how much fuel is needed, it is certainly possible to achieve some very impressive turns. The most impressive I've seen is a 47min turn on an A330-200, however this was no crew change and no catering services.

Not sure it's so much airport-based but more airline/GHA based. Some airlines (LCCs/ULCCs in particular) are very focused on turn times so invest in it heavily whereas some are not as focused as they schedule longer turns between flights.


I have been involved in a 45 minute turn on an A330-200 which included change of crew and catering, both inbound and outbound flights were full as well. This particular flight arrived into PER late and was going back to SYD, late afternoon flight, the one that is time sensitive due to curfew in SYD. Anyway the aircraft arrived on bay at the time it should have left, we got an exemption, however if we had gone by the usual turn time for a A330-200 for domestic which is 70 minutes the flight would have had to be delayed over night.

I have done plenty of trans con turns in 35 minutes on 737-800’s as well
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4195
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 am

Ryanair has scheduled 25 minutes turnaround times, and mostly they make that. Wizzair takes a little more time, 35 minutes. Impressive given that they got near 100% load factors.
 
sfjeff
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:02 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
Southwest use to turn planes in 10 minutes.

https://youtu.be/gnFfFRDMd_0


When I worked at MSY in the early 80s, WN indeed had 10-minute turns. IIRC, they operated 18 daily flights at MSY from one gate and only lengthened the turn times when they started getting 737-300s. I heard at the time that this was because the CFM-56 engines needed more time to cool before being restarted.
Jeff in Málaga
 
FlyingHonu001
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am

Last year I worked as a AMS ramprat, sometimes even KL 744's full pax had a one hour or less turnaround window with disembarking, cargo, catering swap and cabin cleaning, security check, boarding etc, the whole nine yards, kinda impressive to witness
 
blandy62
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:11 pm

I have seen air Asia turning some plane in 20-25 mns
 
FGITD
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Last year I worked as a AMS ramprat, sometimes even KL 744's full pax had a one hour or less turnaround window with disembarking, cargo, catering swap and cabin cleaning, security check, boarding etc, the whole nine yards, kinda impressive to witness


Are you sure? I've turned KL 744s, both pax and combi, as well as 747s for various other operators. No one has ever come close to doing a full turn in 60 minutes. Matter of fact, I think KLM even gave us a minimum time of something like 2hrs and 10 minutes. I'd believe it for just a departure from a pre-ready aircraft though.

Without fail, every airport I've worked or visited, the fastest widebody turn was somehow Swiss. Narrows is a different story, as the requirements are just so different regarding catering, baggage, crew, fuel, etc.
 
klm617
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:32 pm

Back in the day of US regionals 10-15 minute turns were not uncommon on NC, AL, SO, PI, FL and OZ
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
Chemist
Posts: 723
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:02 am

I timed a WN 737-700, capacity 149, both flights mostly full, arrival to pushback in 23 minutes at Burbank.
Burbank uses a ramp in front and stairs in the rear, and of course WN uses first come-first serve seating.

I'll also add that at Burbank, due to the old design (tight non-conforming layout of runway and terminal), the taxi distance for the normal landing runway is rollout and turn right and go about 70 meters and you are at the gate.

Many years ago, when I took a day trip, I parked at the parking structure across from the Burbank terminal. Upon laning back at BUR, I timed wheels down to at my car and did that in 5 minutes. I was sitting at the back of the WN flight. We touched wheels on landing, rolled out, turned right to the gate, stairs pulled up, I was out the door and through the terminal and across the street in total 5 minutes, wheels down to at my car.

I love Burbank airport.
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:16 am

I've turned around a 146 in 12 minutes. I tried to beat the record many times on some turboprops, but the slow start up on stand always messed things up.

As a passenger, maybe 3-4 minutes in Africa on a DHC-7, but that was a multi-stop service rather than a completely new scheduled flight
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:06 pm

AA757223 wrote:
I’ve done 10-15 min turns in an EMB145. Granted we weren’t necessarily (and its a tiny airplane!) full nor did we need fuel. I don’t think it’s as airport-specific as it is airline-specific, but that’s just in my experience!

Cheers

I've seen the same a number of times, its amazing how fast a 50 seater can get turned around. I think the normal min turn I've seen planned for the 145 or 550 is a 24 minute turn and crews manage to beat that time too. It really impresses me as most days it take me longer to get out of bed.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
fessor
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Fastest Turnaround Times?

Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:34 pm

In 2001 I was booked on TG 747 CPH-BKK-DPS the flight from BKK arrived later very late, all passengers was at gate, when the flight came in about 15.00 the flight was supposed to leave 14.35, if left again at 15.45 so a turn around time in 45 min.
My problem was that I had a transfertime on 1hour 45 min in the old BKK airport I reach the plane as the last one.
Later learned that more didn't reach the plane to Denpassar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos