Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slvrblt
Topic Author

American to use all seating July 1

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Here we go, I think we all knew this was inevitable. Planes can't make money flying blocked seats. Sounds like United will follow suit.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coro ... 20387.html
..everything works out in the end.

DL747400

Re: American to use all seating July 1

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:39 pm

A stunning and disappointing move, especially in light of the fact that both DL and WN have seating caps and blocked middle seats in place at least through September 30th. This gives people a reason to book away from AA and UA in markets where DL and/or WN options exist and are similarly priced.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

FlyingElvii

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:43 pm

With today's events in Texas and Florida, it is clear that gathering crowds indoors is a HORRIBLE IDEA.
But, companies like AA are faced with a stark choice. Fly full or go under. The math is pretty simple, actually.

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 pm

Some people will still book with AA (and UA if they follow) regardless of this move. You can argue that they’re putting money over health safety but at the end of the day there are people that are not worried about the social/physical distance guild lines and don’t care if they’re sitting next to someone. AA will definitely have some full flights with this move which in result will help them financially. You can also argue that this shows how bad AA’s current financial situation is compared to DL, WN, etc. if they are willing to do this.

alasizon

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 pm

slvrblt wrote:
Sounds like United will follow suit.

United was the first to announce this, so AA is really following UA's suit here.

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Some people will still book with AA regardless of this move. You can argue that they’re putting money over health safety but at the end of the day there are people that are not worried about the social/physical distance guild lines and don’t care if they’re sitting next to someone. AA will definitely have some full flights with this move which in result will help them financially. You can also argue that this shows how bad AA’s current financial situation is compared to DL, WN, etc. if they are willing to do this.

The reality is that keeping middle seats open does nothing for actual health, it is a feel good measure. Enforced mask policies are more effective than 18" of separation.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

HNLSLCPDX

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:48 pm

alasizon wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

United was the first to announce this, so AA is really following UA's suit here.

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Some people will still book with AA regardless of this move. You can argue that they’re putting money over health safety but at the end of the day there are people that are not worried about the social/physical distance guild lines and don’t care if they’re sitting next to someone. AA will definitely have some full flights with this move which in result will help them financially. You can also argue that this shows how bad AA’s current financial situation is compared to DL, WN, etc. if they are willing to do this.

The reality is that keeping middle seats open does nothing for actual health, it is a feel good measure. Enforced mask policies are more effective than 18" of separation.

I agree with you!!

enilria

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:51 pm

alasizon wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

What proof is there that masks are more important than added separation?

dfw88

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 pm

It seems like American is making a gamble about the flying public's level of information. It's simply not possible to socially distance on a plane, blocked middle seat or not. Blocking those seats is purely COVID theater, which DL and WN are obviously welcome to do in order to attract customers that want that sort of guarantee. AA and UA are gambling that people either

a) realize that a blocked middle isn't actually doing them any good from a transmission standpoint
or (more likely)
b) simply don't care

It will be interesting to see how people respond. It should be noted that this follows closely from American's (and other airline's as well) decision to increase their encouragement of mask wearing and ban travelers who refuse to comply. Essentially they're saying "you can't social distance on plane, so why try, but you can wear a mask, so do it!"

klm617

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm

alasizon wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Exactly you come in contact with people everyday indoors. Be wise and protect yourself. I don't mind at all sitting next to someone. What I would hope they do is assign the middle seats last after all the aisle and window have been assigned.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

DL747400

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:54 pm

alasizon wrote:

I respect your opinion, but disagree. In this environment, I'm grateful for every single inch of additional separation from other passengers. This means that DL and WN are now my preferred airlines at least through the end of September.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

boilerla

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:30 pm

DL747400 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

I respect your opinion, but disagree. In this environment, I'm grateful for every single inch of additional separation from other passengers. This means that DL and WN are now my preferred airlines at least through the end of September.

Depending on how air vents are positioned, the person in front or behind you may get particulates on you more than the person in the window seat. But if I angle my air vent the wrong way, the aisle seat can blow his air right onto the window seat. The fact of the matter is any enclosed space is dangerous, and because air is recirculated on planes, it is even more dangerous. But while sitting on the tarmac in Phoenix in July I doubt anybody is going to complain if you open up your vents.

Aisle seats are actually even more dangerous because far more people come in contact with you while enplaning/deplaning; I have broad shoulders and I get bumped all the time while people board.

Hopefully everyone just stays home.

alasizon

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 pm

DL747400 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Given AA was already selling to 85%, I would suspect DL and WN were already going to be your preferred carrier of choice and I have no problem with that choice.

Aircraft just aren't conducive to maintaining 6' of separation and so this change is only really adding a small number of pax to each flight as most passengers already were experiencing having someone next to them.

klm617 wrote:
Exactly you come in contact with people everyday indoors. Be wise and protect yourself. I don't mind at all sitting next to someone. What I would hope they do is assign the middle seats last after all the aisle and window have been assigned.

Since this is how AA's pre-COVID seating algorithm already ran, I can't imagine it would be any different. That being said, markets where a extremely large percentage of pax buy BE fares, there could be an issue where the entire back is filled 6-across compared to the preferred and MCE areas possibly being still 4-across due to the pack they can't put BE pax up there until D-45.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

IPFreely

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:35 pm

It's very hypocritical of airlines to block middle seats on 3x3 mainline aircraft in the name of safety. If that side-by-side separation is really necessary, they would also block 50% of the seats on 2x2 regional jets.

Insertnamehere

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 am

They blocked middle seats? I flew a few weeks ago LGA-CLT-FLL and on both flights people were placed in the middle seats.

Chemist

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 am

Well I won't be booking AA this summer. Of course I have no travel plans any more, but AA woul be at the bottom of my list. And I'm an AA million-miler.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
They blocked middle seats? I flew a few weeks ago LGA-CLT-FLL and on both flights people were placed in the middle seats.

AFAIK, “blocked middle seats” is actually a capacity cap. And with the traveler mix skewing heavily leisure (bigger groups), in practice it is mostly whole rows for solo travelers, a block of three seats for a group of two, and full blocks for groups of three. I flew a WN flight booked to within one or two of the capacity cap yesterday and essentially the rear third of the aircraft was passengers with either the whole row or half a row to themselves.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

bfitzflyer

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 am

Horrible decision. I won't be flying AA again for this decision. The clearly don't value their customers

airhansa

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 am

I think people tend to forget how modern high speed trains are. They usually have similar systems to planes for air filtration and the train "cabin" is pressurized as well due to the high speeds of the train. But the Coronavirus doesn't mainly spread as a gas that's picked up by air filters so the space you get on trains is more valuable.

AirKevin

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 am

airhansa wrote:
I think people tend to forget how modern high speed trains are. They usually have similar systems to planes for air filtration and the train "cabin" is pressurized as well due to the high speeds of the train. But the Coronavirus doesn't mainly spread as a gas that's picked up by air filters so the space you get on trains is more valuable.

Except that other than the Acela on the Northeast Corridor, I don't think there are any high speed trains in the United States, so that wouldn't help.
Captain Kevin