Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

vmanAA738
Topic Author

American Airlines, Air Canada and Westjet end COVID-19 seat blocking

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Forgive me if this has already been posted elsewhere, but it appears that these 3 airlines are ending seat blocking and/or physical distancing on-board and will book planes up to full capacity starting July 1. Yikes.

Sources:
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... distancing
https://www.thestar.com/amp/business/20 ... ks-up.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... -is-ending

32andBelow

Re: American Airlines, Air Canada and Westjet end COVID-19 seat blocking

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:57 pm

the seat blocking doesn’t do anything. Masks do much more.

DFW17L

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Looks like demand is picking up.

toltommy

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:59 pm

vmanAA738 wrote:
Yikes.

Why yikes? Spirit and United currently book to 100%. I haven't heard of Covid being spread on their flights, have you? Pretty sure our hyper-sensitive media would make a big deal out of it. I've been on a number of 85% flights recently, don't see the issue. There are carriers who will continue to book flights less than full. They remain an option for those who want it. But I would imagine that very quickly those carriers will move to join the rest. There won't be a revenue premium for those flights, at some point its going to become an issue for those carriers.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

MIflyer12

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:09 pm

toltommy wrote:
I haven't heard of Covid being spread on their flights, have you?

Do you think any U.S. state has contact tracing that approaches 100% effectiveness? That you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Small, enclosed spaces with recirculated air and long-duration visits pose risk - the very definition of an aircraft cabin.

Carriers that book to 100% risk shooting themselves - and the industry - in the foot. They want people to think they're safe so they will fly again. Then they do this. AA wiping a tray table does little to mitigate risk from an airborne virus.

panamair

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:15 pm

It’s simple common sense. Blocking middle seats and not selling to capacity means fewer pax on the plane. Fewer people on the plane means fewer chances of catching something!

32andBelow

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
toltommy wrote:

Do you think any U.S. state has contact tracing that approaches 100% effectiveness? That you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't happening. Small, enclosed spaces with recirculated air and long-duration visits pose risk - the very definition of an aircraft cabin.

Carriers that book to 100% risk shooting themselves - and the industry - in the foot. They want people to think they're safe so they will fly again. Then they do this. AA wiping a tray table does little to mitigate risk from an airborne virus.

Airplanes don’t have recirculated air. They bring in fresh air to cool the cabin. That’s why it’s hot af before they turn the engines on.

tim04

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 pm

panamair wrote:
It’s simple common sense. Blocking middle seats and not selling to capacity means fewer pax on the plane. Fewer people on the plane means fewer chances of catching something!

If we extend your logic, why not have one person per row as that would reduce the risk even further....?

People need to understand that we live with risk everyday and get this in perspective. If you are under 60 you have a much greater chance of dying on the way to the airport in a car crash than contracting and dying from Covid caught on a commercial aircraft.

iadguy73

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:34 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
toltommy wrote:

Agree 100%. Enclosed spaces pose higher risk and in an aircraft cabin it's a given. No wonder packing in bars led to the resurgence of infections vs. thousands of people out protesting seemingly did not lead to the same. The other variables for transmission are distance between individuals and respiratory barriers i.e. face masks and duration. Since the masks are already mandated by the airlines, the only other aforementioned factor the airline can control on a flight is distance between passengers. However, at this point I think they don't want to be left behind vs. the rest of the industry and are squeezed for revenue. It will come down to how educated travelers are and how comfortable they are to sit in a middle seat flanked by 2 strangers. I mean people packed into bars without masks so I'm sure there will be folks comfortable to be on a full flight. Whether it's a sound choice or not can be debated. It will basically come down to personal choice if your travel is non-essential. If you have no choice and must fly but not comfortable with being packed in that's another matter. I, personally will avoid flying unless it's an emergency until a vaccine is found. I know others may not have that luxury.

jaybird

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 pm

32andBelow wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
toltommy wrote:

Airplanes don’t have recirculated air. They bring in fresh air to cool the cabin. That’s why it’s hot af before they turn the engines on.

Not true .. only 1 airliner has 100% air from the outside - that's the Boeing 717. Other airliners recycle around 50% of the cabin air and 50% draw from the outside.

DL747400

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=22294161#p22294161

IMO, it is completely reckless and irresponsible to sell commercial aircraft cabins to 100% capacity in the midst of a pandemic. Carriers doing this are placing their employees and customers at much greater risk of infection regardless of how well the aircraft are cleaned.

How long before DOT, CDC and other government agencies intervene? That remains to be seen. Regulated capacity restrictions should have been implemented back in March at the very latest. So now we have some carriers selling their flights to 100% of capacity while other carriers are voluntarily applying seating caps and blocked middle seats. What a mess.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

dinot

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:02 pm

panamair wrote:

No. Learn how airflow works in cabins.

dinot

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:03 pm

DL747400 wrote:
Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?p=22294161#p22294161

IMO, it is completely reckless and irresponsible to sell commercial aircraft cabins to 100% capacity in the midst of a pandemic. Carriers doing this are placing their employees and customers at much greater risk of infection regardless of how well the aircraft are cleaned.

How long before DOT, CDC and other government agencies intervene? That remains to be seen. Regulated capacity restrictions should have been implemented back in March at the very latest. So now we have some carriers selling their flights to 100% of capacity while other carriers are voluntarily applying seating caps and blocked middle seats. What a mess.

Wrong. Research has been done and aircraft cabins are the last place to catch something from other passengers. You have greater chances of catching diseases in a hospital.

DL747400

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:12 pm

jaybird wrote:
Not true .. only 1 airliner has 100% air from the outside - that's the Boeing 717. Other airliners recycle around 50% of the cabin air and 50% draw from the outside.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Thanks very much for pointing that out! Was waiting for someone else to chime in.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

jaybird

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:29 pm

DL747400 wrote:
jaybird wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Thanks very much for pointing that out! Was waiting for someone else to chime in.

hahahah .. well I only know because I'm a travel manager here in Honolulu - and we book a lot of Hawaiian 717s in the islands! :D

DTWLAX

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:15 am

dinot wrote:

Wrong. Research has been done and aircraft cabins are the last place to catch something from other passengers. You have greater chances of catching diseases in a hospital.

Why don't you post the source of your information? Show some data that has validated your point.

Chemist

Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:50 am

I'm an AA million miler. You won't see me on any AA flight anytime soon.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:13 am

Are there any airlines really blocking seats so nobody sits side-by-side? And please don't list the airlines blocking middle seats on mainline aircraft while seating people side-by-side on 2x2 across regional jets, they don't get the credit they're claiming.

CRJ5000

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am

Surely all airlines are making a business, not a health decision. AA/UA/NK/F9/G4 think they can make more money selling all seats. DL/WN/B6/AS think that they can make more money long term playing the good guy and blocking seats gaining image points.
I doubt anyone is doing it for the health and well being of the general public.

IPFreely

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
DL/WN/B6/AS think that they can make more money long term playing the good guy and blocking seats gaining image points.

DL and AS are keeping people separated by one seat side-by-side on mainline flights but they are seating people side-by-side on regional flights. So let's quit saying they're putting safety first -- they're hypocritically claiming to block seats they can't sell anyway in the name of safety.

dinot

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
dinot wrote:

Why don't you post the source of your information? Show some data that has validated your point.

I've checked my sources. Feel free to find them yourself. They come from relevant people and not some internet couch warriors.