Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Did you guys ever have to deal with an unruly passenger?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Here's the story of how my family's vacation turned into a nightmare, by a so-called "Military Nurse."

Ok, I was going to DisneyWorld with my family for fall break, and were flying on a Delta 757-200 from Atlanta to Orlando. You'd think I'd be excited cause Delta is my favorite airline, Atlanta is my favorite airport, and the 757 is my favorite plane. Just keep reading.

I was playing on the TV when suddenly, I heard an ear-destroying scream. “STOP KICKING MY SEAT!” a woman screeched. I tried to explain to her that I was not kicking her seat, and might have just been tapping a little hard on the TV. But, my mom grasped my hand and made me APOLOGIZE. I grunted “sorry” at her and she gave a “hmph.” When we were taxiing to the runway, she needed to use the restroom. When she asked the flight attendants, she was denied permission since it is illegal to get up out of the seat if the plane is taxiing. The flight attendants told her that they would have to tell the captain to stop the plane if she needed to go, but she yelled “I AM 45 YEARS OLD AND AM A PROFESSIONAL DOCTOR FOR THE MILITARY! I AM JUST GONNA PISS IN MY SEAT FOR Y’ALL TO CLEAN UP!” Later, I heard her cussing at other passengers about the experience. Kinda hard to tell if you are a proffesional doctor if you are getting triggered cause of your weak bladder and pissing like a 4 year old. I did not see her get in trouble at all, and I hope she will get in trouble. I was about to tell the captain about the experience when we landed, but my parents stopped me. yay...............

Did you guys have any experience with an unruly passenger?

DFW17L

Re: Did you guys ever have to deal with an unruly passenger?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:11 pm

We humans come in all shapes and sizes. I feel true compassion for Flight Attendants, Police Officers, Hotel Front Desk Clerks, Grocery Store Checkout Clerks, Gate Agents, etc.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

DFW17L wrote:
We humans come in all shapes and sizes. I feel true compassion for Flight Attendants, Police Officers, Hotel Front Desk Clerks, Grocery Store Checkout Clerks, Gate Agents, etc.

Yep, same here. Most US customers say that those people treat customers like trash, but I think it's the other way around.

johns624

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:30 pm

Was she a doctor or a nurse?
I'm sure the captain knew all about it.
Why would that one incident turn your family vacation into a "nightmare"?

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:33 pm

johns624 wrote:
Was she a doctor or a nurse?
I'm sure the captain knew all about it.
Why would that one incident turn your family vacation into a "nightmare"?

The 'nightmare' was just an exaggeration. I don't know whether she was doctor or nurse, since my parents prevented me from speaking to the captain.

klm617

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:40 pm

I can tell you about two stories. On a Northwest flight from Detroit to Frankfurt the man sitting behind my mother was repeatedly raming his knees into the back of my mothers seat until the Flight attendant moved him and his wife to another part of the aircraft. Also I was in the airport in Frankfurt where a man was repeatedly heckling a Saudia flight attendant as they walked down the corridor and intentionally tried to trip her when she ignored his actions.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 pm

klm617 wrote:
I can tell you about two stories. On a Northwest flight from Detroit to Frankfurt the man sitting behind my mother was repeatedly raming his knees into the back of my mothers seat until the Flight attendant moved him and his wife to another part of the aircraft. Also I was in the airport in Frankfurt where a man was repeatedly heckling a Saudia flight attendant as they walked down the corridor and intentionally tried to trip her when she ignored his actions.

Oh man, that must really suck.

VSMUT

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:21 pm

I've had a few. Worst case was a passenger who tried to force his way out on the runway/taxiway after landing. He was afraid he was going to miss his connecting flight due to a 3 hour delay coming in (due to slots/congestion). Police was called and took him away. We were fine with him flying again if he received a warning, but we would not be taking him on our aircraft again. Ironically, his connecting flight was operated by my aircraft, so he would not have missed it.

Another case was on a flight with a lot of turboprop-phobic passengers. I guess it was because it was in the summer holidays, so the usual business travellers had been replaced with nervous holidaymakers who barely ever fly (and if they do, in a Ryanair 737 or EasyJet A320). A group of passengers requested to get off, the process of which caused us to miss our slot. When we got to our next slot, another group decided they wanted to get off, causing us to miss that slot as well. It then happened once more. Fourth time the captain had to inform them that the ticket would be voided if they didn't stay, plus told them that any further passengers getting off would be picked up by the police. They finally decided to go. That mess cost us over an hours worth of delay.

AirKevin

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:12 pm

VSMUT wrote:
I've had a few. Worst case was a passenger who tried to force his way out on the runway/taxiway after landing. He was afraid he was going to miss his connecting flight due to a 3 hour delay coming in (due to slots/congestion). Police was called and took him away. We were fine with him flying again if he received a warning, but we would not be taking him on our aircraft again. Ironically, his connecting flight was operated by my aircraft, so he would not have missed it.

I'm kind of curious, did he wind up making the connecting flight or not. I know you said you wouldn't be taking him on your aircraft again, but it wasn't clear if you were also operating the connecting flight.
Captain Kevin

VSMUT

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm

AirKevin wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I'm kind of curious, did he wind up making the connecting flight or not. I know you said you wouldn't be taking him on your aircraft again, but it wasn't clear if you were also operating the connecting flight.

He would have made it despite the 3 hour delay, but he missed it because we were operating the connecting flight and refused him due to his tantrum.

AirKevin

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 pm

VSMUT wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

He would have made it despite the 3 hour delay, but he missed it because we were operating the connecting flight and refused him due to his tantrum.

Copy. Wasn't sure if you were operating the connecting flight, thanks for clarifying.
Captain Kevin

FlyRow

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Closest thing that I had was a very rude and racist passenger.
We had a 6am flight from Schiphol to Corfu, and we had a birdstrike on take-of. In fact, I said to my girlfriend that is a very weird sound, above frankfrurt we turned around and returned to Schiphol as repairs where not possible (if needed) at Corfu. The flight was operated by a (I believe) Baltic or Balkan charter (I'm not sure anymore).

Once returned we had to wait a long time as it was high summer so replacement planes where hard to find, we finally got a Albastar plane (flown in from spain) and one of the Gentleman started screaming "IM NOT GETTING ON FOREIGNERS PLANES ANYMORE, ONLY A DUTCH BOEING OR NOTHING". He was aloud to leave the flight, I hope they didn't rebook him.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Insertnamehere

Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:41 am

When I was in Moscow boarding a flight to New York this American woman started screaming about Hillary Clinton and the State Department and Donald Trump. While I thought this was completely normal as I have the joy of seeing that on a daily basis living in New York, Russians found this to be rather strange and no airport workers knew what to do until one finally called security to haul her off.

I feel like that must have been an interesting story to involve the US Embassy in Moscow. She ultimately did not board our flight.

dredgy

Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 am

Flying from Bishkek to Delhi, very very drunk Russian man.
I met him in the queue for check in where he came up and gave me a hug and started talking to me in Russian. A couple of girls in line translated for me, and it just basic conversation of a drunk person.

On the flight he started yelling and singing, and I think he squeezed a flight attendant's ass, cause he was cable tied to his seat when I got off the plane.

ER757

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Many years ago, was on a UA DC-10 ORD/SFO headed to a family reunion. Had my Mom seated next to me, we were on the port side, window and aisle. About tens minute prior to pushback there was all sorts of commotion about three rows up on the starboard side. A minute later a FA came over and asked us if we'd mind switching seats as the woman causing all the ruckus said she couldn't sit on the right side of the plane and was inconsolable. I told the FA no problem, the whole plane is going to the same place and we didn't care which side we were on. After we swapped and the flight was underway, the crew treated us like royalty. Free drinks, first class meals (we were in coach) and they gave us a bottle of champagne to take with us at our destination. Pretty hilarious

InnsbruckFlyer

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:56 am

I had to fly to the US in September 2012 and was booked to fly on an LH A380 from FRA to JFK in J. Unfortunately, I realized that that flight (LH400) would likely be cancelled the day before due to a large cabin crew strike. So I headed to FRA a day earlier and asked to be put on any flight to the Northeast. Sadly, all Business Class seats on all flights that day and the next were sold out, so I had to downgrade to Y. Luckily, I managed to snag the last open seat on LH420, an A340-300 to Boston. It was an aisle seat in the middle section of a 2-4-2 configuration, so I wasn't terribly unhappy. There was an ultra religious family that was sitting apart from each other, and the daughter of the family ended up sitting next to two older gentlemen (she was in a middle seat a row behind me). When her mom found out that she had to sit next to two men that were strangers, she completely flipped out and the Flight Attendants politely attempted defused to situation but failed. Luckily, the two gentlemen were very polite and volunteered to move so that the girl could sit next to her mother and brother. It was a weird experience, but thankfully it didn't escalate much and we flew to Boston without further incident.
Last flown aircraft: E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117 < B772 N794AN < A320 D-AIPS

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:49 pm

I can relate an incident I was told by a friend. In the late 1990's my friend was working for the FBI doing undercover drug interdiction work in Eastern Europe. He was on a flight FRA-IAH returning from doing some work. On the flight he was also in street clothes and undercover. Well, 2 American service members were on the flight and apparently had been drinking prior to the start of their trip. They then consumed more alcohol on the plane and became quite drunk. When one of them used the restroom, he physically assaulted a female flight attendant working in the galley. My friend witnessed this, and privately told the FA who he was, breaking his cover ( that was a VERY big deal to him). The 2 guys continued to be belligerent to the crew, so my friend took out some zip tie handcuffs he had and hog tied both the guys at their wrists and ankles for the duration of the flight. He later testified to what he saw in military court, and the guy who committed the assault was dishonorably discharged, while the other was demoted in rank.

PlymSpotter

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Two incidents immediately come to mind, although I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

Flying RIX-KBP with Air Baltic, a passenger in my row passed out and slumped into the aisle. Crew immediately assisted and were in the aisle throughout the landing, although their sympathy waned when an empty vodka bottle fell out of his jacket. He was initially completely out of it, but then became somewhat belligerent afterwards and was taken away by authorities upon landing.

A few years later I was flying KBP-LTN with WizzAir, and a British middle aged passenger became increasingly drunk and racially abusive a few seats away from me. He then started getting physically abusive, and was shouting racial slurs for all the cabin to hear. Helpfully the cabin crew just kept serving him alcohol, and predictably his behaviour got worse. Police were supposed to be waiting for him on arrival, but as soon as the doors were open he pushed through everyone else and fled into the terminal. Annoyingly he probably didn't get caught and called to account.

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I can relate an incident I was told by a friend. In the late 1990's my friend was working for the FBI doing undercover drug interdiction work in Eastern Europe. He was on a flight FRA-IAH returning from doing some work. On the flight he was also in street clothes and undercover. Well, 2 American service members were on the flight and apparently had been drinking prior to the start of their trip. They then consumed more alcohol on the plane and became quite drunk. When one of them used the restroom, he physically assaulted a female flight attendant working in the galley. My friend witnessed this, and privately told the FA who he was, breaking his cover ( that was a VERY big deal to him). The 2 guys continued to be belligerent to the crew, so my friend took out some zip tie handcuffs he had and hog tied both the guys at their wrists and ankles for the duration of the flight. He later testified to what he saw in military court, and the guy who committed the assault was dishonorably discharged, while the other was demoted in rank.

I'm glad he was able to step up and testify - there's no place for that kind of behaviour.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:51 pm

I used to be a gate agent for a major US airline. I've pretty much seen everything.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.