Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrPeanut
Topic Author

AA to eliminate meal service on many domestic routes 2,200+

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:30 pm

According to the article, AA is eliminating meal service on non-premium domestic routes over 2,200 miles and short distance international routes. In place of traditional meal service, passengers will receive fruit and cheese and a snack basket. This reduction in onboard service comes on heals of other cuts in onboard service such as the reduction of flight attendants. These recent moves are clearly attempts to reduce costs (move unprofitable domestic flying to partners, onboard service reductions, etc.) but doesn’t bode well for their premium passengers / FF’s.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... ardingArea

maverick4002

Re: AA to eliminate meal service on many domestic routes 2,200+

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:33 pm

I mean, the premium passengers are generally in business anyway right, so I assume this wont affect them.

I am an economy traveler based in the NorthEast and I'll pay a bit more to travel on B6 or DL.

stl07

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:37 pm

If this is just for the virus then people are making a whole lot of drama about nothing. If this is permanent then it is still a whole lot of drama about nothing because on basically every AA F flight I take out of the midwest, there is never a meal service. Sucks for those going coast to coast though if this is permanent.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

airzona11

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:41 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
I mean, the premium passengers are generally in business anyway right, so I assume this wont affect them.

I am an economy traveler based in the NorthEast and I'll pay a bit more to travel on B6 or DL.

The F cabin is who is getting the service cut. With the AS and B6 partnerships, those are the birds to fly up front.

brilondon

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:56 pm

I'm not opposed to not having airline food on my flights. AA doesn't serve any meals in Y domestically anyways. This isn't really the big news they are trying to make it out to be. The last meal I had on a plane was supposed to be like a beef stroganoff. It wasn't anything like it. It was horrible. I tried to get the taste out of my mouth with their coffee.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

gen2stew

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Another great idea from Team Tempe! Let's further Delta's appearance of being an upscale, passenger friendly airline and cheapen the product(and drive away lucrative premium passengers)by removing food on flights. Never mind the 30min connections and majority of food concessions closed in the terminal. Those wretched oasis seats and marvelous plastic seat backs to stare at more than make up for it. Paint the planes school bus yellow and change the code to NK+ or HP-. The phrase GOING FOR GREAT is even more laughable now.
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

OB1504

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:03 pm

This week AA also cut the fruit and cheese on transcons leaving after 9 PM.

airzona11 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

The F cabin is who is getting the service cut. With the AS and B6 partnerships, those are the birds to fly up front.

I feel bad for the passenger who steps off a B6 A320 and onto an AA Oasis aircraft. What a great way to highlight the deficiencies of their hard product.
Last edited by OB1504 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pi7472000

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:04 pm

American Airlines is def. the Spirit of mainline carriers!! Horrible soft product and the service is not friendly at all. I would pick Delta or United any day over American!! Feel bad for hub captive travelers in places like Miami and Dallas where American is the hub airline. Maybe we will See Delta move in Miami more into the future as the premium alternative to American.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Just call it Big Front Seat. That’s all it is.
a.

Jerseyguy

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:14 pm

Yep American Airlines is just America West with some lipstick on it. Its still America West.. To paraphase Kennedy Steve AA1492 should really be called "Cactus 1492 in disguise"

flyfresno

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:17 pm

Just fruit and cheese? What if you are lactose intolerant or allergic to milk, not to mention vegan? Wouldn't some sort of alternative like hummus and veggies be a good idea?

hhslax2

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:22 pm

I was actually shocked when I was offered the fruit and cheese option on my SAN-CLT flight on Wednesday. Realistically, a snack should be able to get you through any domestic flight.

usflyer msp

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:24 pm

I don't see how this is any different that what is offered since the onset of COVID-19. That blogger is being sensationalistic.

AeroLogical

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:59 pm

I'm wondering particularly what they mean by short international flights...in the past year I was booked on AA from JFK to LHR and the plane and service were already dismal, even compared to BA's cutback service. I'm hoping they don't mean that on a shortish transatlantic like this they'll hand you a cheese basket and call it an evening. That's a great way to cause people to pay the extra couple dollars to fly on VS or DL. I'd be interested in knowing what the cutoffs are for time/mileage before meals kick in for F again.

MAH4546

Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:39 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I don't see how this is any different that what is offered since the onset of COVID-19. That blogger is being sensationalistic.

AA continued meal service in domestic flights over 2200 miles even after COVID. That’s gone now.
a.

IPFreely

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:05 pm

AeroLogical wrote:
I'm wondering particularly what they mean by short international flights..

US to Mexico and US to Canada.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:19 pm

Did AA serve any meals on domestic flights around 2,200 miles before COVID?

PI4EVR

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:39 pm

AA served breakfast, lunch and dinner meals in F class, with at least 2 or more choices you could select up to 30 days prior to departure, on segments under 3 hours. At my home airport TPA, full meal service was offered in F on all flights to PHL, DFW, ORD and PHX when it operated. Most flights from DFW to the west had full meal service along with important cities like DEN, DCA, PHL, NYC etc. It may not be a big issue now with all the changes COVID- related with handling food, utensils and close contact with customers, but I suspect over time the changes to meal service on more long haul flying will become a big issue. PHL-LAX and PHL-SEA can be beyond 4 hours so surprised they'd eliminate what is a reasonable expectation to have meal and beverage service on a transcon flight.
This will become a big issue in general with business flyers when they return to flying next year and I suspect it will be modified with feedback they'll receive in short order. .
Otherwise, they should just market F now as Premium Economy as even Business Class would have higher expectations particularly from a food and beverage perspective.