Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightsaber
Topic Author

Your opinion on masks while flying

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:00 pm

My opinion, after much reading, is masks help (up to 77% if the nose is covered) and I wouldn't fly unless everyone on the plane requires a mask.

DL has banned passengers (120 so far) for being unwilling to wear a mask:
https://www.ajc.com/news/business/delta ... PEZL5R7HQ/

They are also encouraging those who medically cannot wear a mask to not fly at this time.

This makes me more confident to continue with my Delta flight in a few weeks. We will fly with face masks and face shields.

What is your opinion? I believe we can have sensible lives return if we take sensible precautions and I write this from the current epicenter, Los Angeles County California which has over 164,000 active cases as I type this:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... alifornia/

Traveling to Sarasota County Florida which has just below 5,000 active cases (but a much smaller population).

I will debate on DisneyWorld.

Lightsaber
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

aklrno

Re: Your opinion on masks while flying

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:04 pm

I wouldn’t fly on any airline that does not require masks and enforce their use. I do slip my mask off for a few seconds to sip some water or eat a pretzel but otherwise it stays on.

fallap

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:29 pm

I really can't be too bothered with covid-19, but if wearing a face-mask will prevent me from going on a mass-killing spree at 36,000 feet, then fine with me. I read that Qatar Airways exempt passengers on business class the wearing of masks due to the distance between people in the cabin. So perhaps yet another incentive to finish my degree and fly business until forever.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

PI4EVR

Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:33 pm

I have no issue with masks at all. I live in FL and they've become mandatory in most stores, restaurants and venues for both employees and customers. I do not feel my constitutional rights are being infringed upon and feel it sensible to take precautions that are relatively easy to deal with. Its simply life in the "new normal" for now.
I am in the age- related vulnerable group and do avoid large crowds, but pick off times to shop, run errands and visit w/friends. I have discovered the grocery store is empty at 715am on a Tuesday, and Home Depot/Lowe's/Target are less crowded during the week and that includes weekday trips to the beach to walk with my dog and not be dodging people in and out of the water or strolling on the beach as well.
I know from previous threads you have children that you travel with so I think your precautions are sound for them to fly. They sound sensible and easy to manage and likely understand it simply is how things are right now; otherwise, we stay home. I am familiar with the new protocols at DisneyWorld and while I would likely avoid it for awhile, the parks have re-opened and apparently without issues of managing visits with the new reservation system to control guest numbers. Be sure to verify the reservation requirement by day and time is still in effect so you can book you visit. Masks are required and remember it is hotter and more humid in FL than CA so the mask can become uncomfortable being outside for long periods of time. The heat index in Orlando today is 98.
Enjoy your trip and go with your gut feelings to safeguard yourself and your family. We all know enough now 5 months+ into this pandemic to be sensible, Stay safe, have fun and welcome to Florida.

VSMUT

Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:45 pm

It's nonsense. Stuffing several hundred people into an economy class cabin won't be made any safer because of masks. It's a theater meant to make people feel safe, no different from airport security. It is conveniently also a money grab for airports and airport vendors. Actually keeping distance to other people and proper cleaning of aircraft is the way forward, but we all know the capital doesn't approve of costly methods that cost them money.

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:07 pm

VSMUT wrote:
It's nonsense. Stuffing several hundred people into an economy class cabin won't be made any safer because of masks. It's a theater meant to make people feel safe, no different from airport security. It is conveniently also a money grab for airports and airport vendors. Actually keeping distance to other people and proper cleaning of aircraft is the way forward, but we all know the capital doesn't approve of costly methods that cost them money.

Once the packs are on, nobody is going to get COVID on a plane even with fairly dense seating configurations and high loads. The trouble is crowds at the airport and on the ground while on board, and those are settings in which masks certainly don’t hurt and are probably helpful.

When you fly, you have to play by the airline’s rules. It’s been that way for a long, long time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

expat92

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Once the packs are on, nobody is going to get COVID on a plane even with fairly dense seating configurations and high loads.

(appologies for crudeness of the first part)

If the hepa packs etc are so great, how come when someone -er ahem - "passes gas" it can be "detected" rows away? I would have more confidence in the industry's line if that was not the reality. If the 'odour' can travel then so can the smaller particles of virus.

And as for the earlier post by P14EVR about Disneworld, I think the relevent part is reopened and APPARENTLY without issues. Due to the time lag in cases becoming evident, I feel it still too early to tell.

expat

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:59 pm

expat92 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Once the packs are on, nobody is going to get COVID on a plane even with fairly dense seating configurations and high loads.

(appologies for crudeness of the first part)

If the hepa packs etc are so great, how come when someone -er ahem - "passes gas" it can be "detected" rows away? I would have more confidence in the industry's line if that was not the reality. If the 'odour' can travel then so can the smaller particles of virus.

And as for the earlier post by P14EVR about Disneworld, I think the relevent part is reopened and APPARENTLY without issues. Due to the time lag in cases becoming evident, I feel it still too early to tell.

expat

The . . . ahem . . . odor particles are orders of magnitude smaller than the respiratory droplets thought to spread COVID. Consequently, the aerosol dynamics are totally different.

exFWAOONW

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Just as odor molecules are smaller than the hepa filters, The virus particles are much smaller than the weave of most cloth masks. A cloth mask is mostly “for show.”
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

VSMUT

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:48 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
When you fly, you have to play by the airline’s rules. It’s been that way for a long, long time.

OP is asking about our opinions, not the rules.

Cubsrule wrote:

Why do people act as if coughing out into the air is the only way the virus spreads? You are literally rubbing shoulders with people who have been told to cough into their arms...

The authorities in my country consider masks useless. As a consequence, we have not been required to wear masks on trains, in ferries, on busses or in cinemas, all places that feature airplane style seating. There have been zero cases of people catching the virus from traveling on those methods of transport due to not wearing masks.

Follow the money. Mask prices have been inflated to the extreme during this crisis. Somebody is making an absolute killing off of these mask sales. A mandatory item that they now insist that we have to replace every 4 hours, and now we aren't even allowed to use homemade masks any more! I'd have less of an issue with the requirement to wear masks if businesses were required to provide them, the same way they are forced to provide hand sanitizers everywhere. But with masks it just reeks of being a money grab. A single mask in my part of the world now costs between $3 and $4 USD. That's what a box of 50 cost before the whole ordeal began. If somebody had dared to profiteer from sales of a mandatory item like this during a war, they would have been hanged in short order. But now it is "just" a global pandemic, and nobody bothers to ask any questions. The economic burden is almost entirely being placed on us, the consumers.

Avgeek21

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Wear it. At all times, use a proper mask and wear it properly. Even if it helps 0,01% it's better that nothing. I luckily recovered from Covid after a lengthy stay in medical care. I don't wish this on anyone, it was horrible. And I'm fit, healthy and no underlying medical issues. I've took all the precautions before they became mainstream, just wasn't diligent (or lucky?) enough I guess. I've learnt my lesson. Take this stuff seriously! Wearing it is no big deal. Not even excercising or sleeping with one. Just have to get used to it and be consistent with it.

You wear a mask to safe me or my family from getting possibly infected. I do the same for you and your family.

Cubsrule

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:56 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Why do people act as if coughing out into the air is the only way the virus spreads? You are literally rubbing shoulders with people who have been told to cough into their arms...

I’m not aware of any evidence of significant spread from surfaces; that’s quite a lot different from what the conventional wisdom was early on.

FlyHappy

Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 pm

lightsaber wrote:
This makes me more confident to continue with my Delta flight in a few weeks. We will fly with face masks and face shields.
Lightsaber

I'm not very comfortable with a mask on, and it hard to keep them on my kids faces.
But they are effective.
It's pretty simple - keep our wet breathing/coughing/sneezing orifices covered with very simple materials, and you reduce the spread of liquid and aerosol germs, nothing that complicated about it, and no - you don't need to be an MD to understand that.

I flew DL, with 2 kids, from hub to hub in June. DL did a very good job of managing the check in area, gate space, boarding process.
They handed out hand sanitizer upon boarding, and during in-flight service (bagged crackers/cookies/water/napkins/sanitizer).

The aircraft was towed to the gate, empty. I am under the impression that it flew in, unloaded pax at another gate, got an interior clean, then was towed to our gate. I was impressed by that - one benefit of very underutilized airport, but a very demonstrable (and not cheap!) show of commitment by Delta to what they say they are doing.

The aircraft cabin was spotless, and I had no trepidation about the surfaces.
All pax boarded the flight masked. All employees were and remained masked. During the flight, I saw maybe 20% of pax seated, having removed their masks (I was somewhat guilty too, and especially my young daughter) no conflicts with crew; but more significantly (I think), there was very, very little movement thru the 3 hour flight - very few lavatory visits by anyone, and those who did were masked (like me).

I estimate 105 - 110 pax aboard the 189 seat aircraft.

The only oddity of the flight was the exceptionally long wait for baggage at destination.. undoubtedly due to a near empty airport with little staff (don't know if that's airport or DL thing), but no big deal.
Finding Uber/rideshare to service airports is a much more challenging aspect of air travel now, it seems ;)

I'm no DL fanboy - but my experience was as good as can be expected, and a far cry from the images I've seen posted of UA/AA flights on SM.
The latest marketing email I received from DL referenced maintaining the empty middle seat policy "beyond Sept 30", though it wasn't black and white.

Me and the kids will take the same DL flight 3 weeks from now.
We'll have our masks, and we'll do our best with them, even if not strictly perfect.

Chemist

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:39 am

I have not flown since March, and don't plan to fly anytime soon.
I'm in the transition age (63) with no conditions.
If I were to fly right now, it would be Delta or WN due to seat policy.
I'm fine wearing a mask. I'm also scientifically trained. It makes sense that masks make a large difference since the virus attaches to water droplets or aerosols, both of which are larger than the virus itself.
To a poster upthread - you smell flatulence because those are gasses, not particles. Masks don't filter gasses unless they contain carbon filters for gas adsorption. Masks filter particles, like the small droplets and aerosols that would be carrying the virus.

Braniff747SP

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am

I flew LAX-AMS a few days ago. Would I have preferred not wear the mask for ten hours? Sure. Was it that big of a deal? No. I honestly don't understand the anti-mask mania: it's a mild inconvenience at best, and the health benefits are well documented.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

FGITD

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:34 pm

I've got no pity for those who think the masks are ridiculous or an enormous inconvenience. At best you're protecting yourself and others, at worst you're mildly inconvenienced.

I really don't buy into the discomfort of it. I've been loading planes wearing a mask for months. Heat, humidity, etc....doesn't make much a difference. Yet people can't sit in a climate controlled seat...pathetic

chonetsao

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:51 pm

fallap wrote:
I really can't be too bothered with covid-19, but if wearing a face-mask will prevent me from going on a mass-killing spree at 36,000 feet, then fine with me. I read that Qatar Airways exempt passengers on business class the wearing of masks due to the distance between people in the cabin. So perhaps yet another incentive to finish my degree and fly business until forever.

That is not true. Qatar Airways' policy is:

Economy/Coach: Face Mask + Face Shield
Business/First: Face Mask only.

Your wrong information comes from a recent change in Qatar Airways that they will require economy class passenger to wear a face shields on top of face masks while exempt business class passenger from the face shield. Face mask is still required for all passengers.

chonetsao

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Braniff747SP wrote:
I flew LAX-AMS a few days ago. Would I have preferred not wear the mask for ten hours? Sure. Was it that big of a deal? No. I honestly don't understand the anti-mask mania: it's a mild inconvenience at best, and the health benefits are well documented.

I remember back in March in another forum, which I shall not name, that someone posted a thread on he was worried someone kept coughing around him from the seats to the luggage belt. So I replied that if he is so worried he should wear a face mask next time when he travels, and he could suggest the said passengers to wear a face mask. I could not make up the attacks from other posters I have by telling me how wrong I was in how many levels. And we are talking about all these posters are business travellers.

I have no problem about travelling with face masks, actually I have been wearing a face mask since January when I was first tipped on the Wuhan situation. I expect face mask wearing will be a long lasting thing for us all until 2021 when the compulsory measure becomes advisory.

And I also agree with you that there are health benefits. If everyone is wearing face mask in airports and transportation process, we could reduce the flu cases too if no Covid-19. That being said, the urgent thing now is to make sure everyone to wear face masks to protect vulnerable and to reduce the infections so that aviation can start the process to recover.

DALMD80

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 pm

I believe that airlines should require and enforce mask use. Not only mask use, but CORRECT mask use. It drives me absolutely INSANE when people don't cover their nose and mouth. Just like WN1380, where the pax were not wearing the O2 masks over the nose AND mouth, if we wear a face mask correctly, we'll be much safer. And all the people who complain about wearing masks, refusing to be a part of the solution for all the outlandish and positively FALSE reasons that they claim, I have a simple message: if you wear a mask now, maybe sacrifice your comfort for a while, you'll help us end this sooner, and when you help end it sooner, you can stop wearing the mask sooner. I really hope people realize this. While COVID is not going away any time soon, we can certainly end it sooner by wearing masks than if we don't wear masks.
The 757-200 with Rolls Royce engines in the US Airways livery is the ultimate in airliner beauty,

PITingres

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Impressive amount of mis-information posted by some here. For instance, the mask isn't to stop individual virus particles (they are obviously too small), they are to help block droplets and to a lesser extent aerosols that you emit, thus protecting others. A single virus is vastly less likely to result in an infection as compared to a droplet that may carry thousands or millions of viruses. Masks also help a bit in protecting you in the same way, but the major purpose is to protect others from you. "But I'm not sick" -- well, you don't know that, because you can be a- or pre-symptomatic for days and still be contagious; this is well established by now.

A cloth mask is better than no mask, again not so much to protect the wearer, but to protect everyone else from droplets that the wearer is emitting.

Yes, there's still some risk due to prolonged contact. Still, if there's a contagious person aboard, masking will likely reduce the viral load that people around him/her receive and thus may result in mild cases instead of severe / fatal cases. Viral load matters.

I won't get on a plane without a mask on and I won't fly on an airline that won't 100% enforce mask wearing.

Edited: *proper* mask wearing. Nose and mouth. Duh.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

eurotrader85

Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

There was a similar topic on this a month back and I will say the same again. When you live in Asia, you find that the fact there is even a debate about wearing a mask in the Western hemisphere crazy. You just do it, to protect you, those around you, and the wider population. They do work and as Avgeek21 says further up, even if you are a sceptic, if you can believe that it might give you 0.01% better chance at protecting you or your fellow human beings then just do it. My heart goes out to anyone who has a bad reaction to the virus and ends up on a ventilator, or worse.

I also personally found it a little strange to wear at first as well, but you get used to it, and remember, in Asia they have gone through these things before, so know what to do, and the fact they went into this earlier than the rest of the world and in most cases, dealt with it much better, compared to the s**t show in the western hemisphere highlights they can't all be wrong.

I'm one of the people who cannot afford not to fly for work, even in these times, so i'm glad more and more airlines are making it mandatory, and believe it should be in wider public space. As OP says, if this is the tiny price to pay to try to get back to as normal a life as possible, until hopefully a vaccine for the public is available, then so be it. If the rule saves one more human being somewhere on this planet from going on a ventilator then its a no-brainer.

AAY224

Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 pm

I can take it or leave it.
If it makes people more comfortable and helps to get the economy opened up a little bit, then I'll happily comply.

bennett123

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:11 pm

VSMUT

Not sure who is charging you $3-4 per mask.

I have been buying them on ebay for £3-4 for a pack of ten.

As for there usefulness, hospital staff clearly think that they help.

sbworcs

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Have not flown yet but booked for later in the year. If i have to wear a mask I will wear a mask. I work for the NHS (although office based and mainly working from home at the moment) but if I go into any of our settings that have patients or close staff contact I have to wear a mask. I found it slighly uncomfortable at first but you soon get used to it.

It is what it is - mask wearing is here for a while so best get used to it
The best way forwards is upwards!

TheWorm123

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am

I’ve done 2x 4 1/2 flights in the past 2 weeks each time wearing a mask in excess of 9 hours including while in the airports at either end and while wearing a mask isn’t very comfortable, I do it because we have a duty to humanity at this point to do it.

The flight attendants kept telling others to wear it and not queue at toilets but as you’d expect some people on the plane are much more important than the rest of us and don’t have to listen.

Apparently standing talking to other people behind you and over people, while passing around a baby in the already narrow 737 aisle is appropriate behaviour and annoyingly wasn’t challenged at all, even during trolley service :mad: .
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

fallap

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm

chonetsao wrote:
fallap wrote:

Your wrong information comes from a recent change in Qatar Airways that they will require economy class passenger to wear a face shields on top of face masks while exempt business class passenger from the face shield. Face mask is still required for all passengers.

I see, thank you for correcting me. Well, still an incentive to fly business class I guess.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

thaiflyer

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:07 am

chonetsao wrote:
fallap wrote:

Not correct,
Business class passengers are advised to face shield AND mask but it is not compulsory.
See link to Qatar website for explanation.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-r ... for-p.html

TheConnie

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 pm

I do believe an appropriate mask is the key for survival during these bizarre days so far. Also if it's properly used, covering mouth and nose. Mask + distance had made the difference since the beginning, so saving many lives, but authorities realised that a bit later.

AviatonFan20

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:29 am

I strongly encourage wearing a mask on planes, just like in every other public transport! They DO help, which was scientifically proven and I think that anyone of us can easily manage to sit there with their mask on for a couple of hours at its longest!

airnorth

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:55 am

Wear a mask folks! Its not that big of a deal at all. I'm not sure about the complaints of infringing on rights, I mean, we are supposed to wear clothes in public, I don't think that is optional, but I am happy to be proven wrong! Plenty of science out there that shows wearing a mask drastically reduces the spread of all types of virus', this is one of the main reasons Health Care Professionals have been using them forever.
All I know is, I want to do my part to keep others safe, and of course reduce my risk of exposure as well.

Insertnamehere

Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't care for wearing a mask but its what is best. Consequently, airlines are very much enforcing the mask rule. I was on a spirit flight from LGA-FLL yesterday sitting in row 1 and FAs were not letting anyone on without a proper mask, bandannas were denied boarding. Ground crew helped out as well denying boarding to any passenger who wasn't wearing one.

Its not an ideal situation but hey, at least it keeps planes relatively full.

alo2yyz

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:22 pm

New research from Duke University shows the 'disposable' blue paper-like surgical masks are among the best out there, aside from non-vented N95s. Vented N95s "decrease protection of persons surrounding the wearer." Cotton masks vary in effectiveness.

A good summary is here:
https://twitter.com/Farzad_MD/status/1292560856157388800

Original research paper:
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

NWAESC

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Wearing one is a small sacrifice to benefit the greater good.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:59 pm

AviatonFan20 wrote:
I strongly encourage wearing a mask on planes, just like in every other public transport! They DO help, which was scientifically proven and I think that anyone of us can easily manage to sit there with their mask on for a couple of hours at its longest!

It makes sense to wear a mask until a proven vaccine is available.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)