Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theasianguy
Topic Author

What's the most boring airport approach you've flown?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:55 pm

We know plenty of major airports have very scenic approaches: DCA, LGA, ORD, LHR, HND for incredible city views, or SFO, LAX, HNL, YVR for breathtaking scenery.

To ask the opposite question, what's been the most unattractive airport you've flown into? My vote goes to DEN, especially from the East. You fly over vast expanses of flat brown farmland with no civilization in sight. Having to fly over such ugly topography and a sparsely populated area seriously tops my list of most forgettable approaches.

I'm sure there are plenty of regional airports, especially in the Great Plains, with far more boring approaches. But for a major airport, DEN definitely underwhelms.

PatrickZ80

Re: What's the most boring airport approach you've flown?

Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:06 pm

For me it was Budapest, approaching runway 31R. This means you're flying over rural Hungary where there isn't much to see. The only thing exciting, the railway from Cegled to Budapest with several adjusting towns, is straight under the approach path so you don't see it.

From the cockpit it must be a beautiful view as the city of Budapest is straight beyond the airport, but as a passenger you don't see that. You only see the boring Hungarian landscape. I can imagine if you're approaching the airport from the other side you get a whole different opinion as then you're flying over the city and you get a beautiful view of Budapest, but that was not for me to see.

mhkansan

Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:51 am

Most approaches that don't overfly downtown Kansas City into MCI are pretty boring.

IPFreely

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:00 am

DEN is the first airport that comes to mind, flat terrain with no mountain, city/skyline, or water in view. But many midwest US airports are like that. Others I've flown to that come to mind are TUL, ICT, and DTW. RSW is also unspectacular. But I would put DEN at the top of the list of boring approaches, maybe because I've flown through there more than the others.

On the plus side boring means plenty of airspace, runway, and taxiway capacity regardless of wind...so no congestion and few delays. Which is a big part of why DEN is the best connecting hub in the US.

paullam

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 am

WDH (Windhoek, Namibia) comes to mind. You just fly over the desert, descent over the desert just to land right in the desert - not the most exciting approach you’ll find.
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N A21N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2

global2

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Flying into DFW is usually pretty drab, and MCI ranks up there as someone posted previously.

maverick4002

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Probably Kiev

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:03 pm

ONT (Ontario, CA)

PatrickZ80

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:49 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
ONT (Ontario, CA)

You've got to be kidding me. That's in the middle of the city, plenty to see. No matter which side you're approaching from, it always comes with a nice view.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:05 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
ONT (Ontario, CA)

You've got to be kidding me. That's in the middle of the city, plenty to see. No matter which side you're approaching from, it always comes with a nice view.

PHX is bad too.

VSMUT

Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:16 pm

As a pilot, the most boring I can think of off the top of my head is probably Paris CDG. It's worst if you have a more or less direct entry to a runway. Runway 27/26 is the worst, just lots and lots of flat fields. But 09/08 isn't much better, coming over some rather unspectacular suburbs. ATC is efficient and doesn't do any nonsense, so don't expect any interesting vectors from them. On the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a downwind on the southern side of the airport, you get a fantastic view of the city.

Bucharest is similarly boring with loads of flat, featureless farmland. Features a boring rectangular RNAV standard arrival (that ATC loves to use) which takes you over all the featureless flat fields north of Bucharest.

For the piloting skills required, nothing beats Geneva in pure drowsiness. I've intercepted the ILS for runway 23 already from my cruising level somewhere over central Switzerland. At least the views are great as you gently descend towards the runway.

e38

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:36 pm

I think this a very unusual topic because what people find "boring" or "interesting" is obviously going to be different for every person. But, I just wanted to comment on the opinion submitted by global2 (Reply # 6), above: "Flying into DFW is usually pretty drab . . ." Really?

Of course, what I find interesting about flying into DFW is variable depending on the direction from which you arrive, the direction in which aircraft are landing, and the side of the aircraft on which you are seated, but here are just a few examples that I find INTERESTING when landing at DFW

Arriving from the Northwest: Alliance airport (AFW), Texas Motor Speedway, and the lakes north of the airport--Grapevine Lake and Lake Lewisville (depending on the season, amazed at the number of sailboats and ski boats on the lakes).
Arriving from the Northeast: McKinney airport (TKI), Addison Airport (ADS), and Dallas Love Field, as well as seeing how many homes throughout the DFW metroplex have swimming pools in the back yard--a lot!.
Arriving from the Southeast: Mountain Creek Lake and the runway from the former Dallas Naval Air Station extending into a portion of the lake, as well as the tall buildings of downtown Dallas.
Arriving from the Southwest: downtown Fort Worth.
and finally, when landing to the north: AT&T Stadium (Dallas Cowboys football); Globe Life Field (Texas Rangers baseball); Six Flags over Texas amusement park; Lone Star Park (horse racing); American Airlines headquarters and training center; Fort Worth Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) building; all the traffic on the many freeways . . . and much, much more!

My only recommendation for global2, the next time you fly into DFW, ask for a window seat!

e38

Tango-Bravo

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:36 am

The approach that comes to mind is Anchorage at night in January. Our approach was entirely over water and/or uninhabited land as there was nothing to see other than darkness in every direction. Then there was a loud thud and slight shudder (a hard landing? -- aircraft was a 737-900) that made me wonder for a few seconds if we had hit something or perhaps lost an engine. Was then relieved to hear someone say "we've landed" and soon saw runway lights and then lights of airport buildings. Until then there were no reference points to make pax aware that we were on approach for an on-time arrival at ANC.

Yflyer

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:02 am

Most approaches to SMF you're pretty much just looking at, flat, featureless farmland.

IAHFLYR

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:50 pm

IPFreely wrote:
RSW is also unspectacular.

Really, so the scenery inbound from the northwest just to the west of SRQ and then south along the Gulf Coast with Sanibel/Captiva Islands to your right then turn final over Ft. Myers Beach when landing Runway 6 you don't like. :o Okay, to each their own though some find it more interesting as they have the speed brakes out quite often after TYNEE.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

steveinbc

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm

Calgary YYC is dull dull dull. Usually the final approach takes about ten minutes over uninteresting terrain
I'm surprised that FRA hasn't been mentioned...that is a total zero interest approach from any level
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

theasianguy
Topic Author

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:42 pm

steveinbc wrote:
Calgary YYC is dull dull dull. Usually the final approach takes about ten minutes over uninteresting terrain
I'm surprised that FRA hasn't been mentioned...that is a total zero interest approach from any level

FRA can be interesting if you're approaching from the East and sitting on the right of the aircraft. You get a wonderful view of the entire city on final. If you're on the left and landing on 25R, you get a view of the massive terminal complex right before touching down.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:43 pm

steveinbc wrote:

I had a rather nice 07R approach into FRA last year...beautiful spring day...lots of low level turns over the Taunus mountains, the Rhine itself etc.... Got some rather nice photos:
viewtopic.php?t=1421301
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

VSMUT

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:27 am

steveinbc wrote:

I did think about Frankfurt, and I completely disagree. Approaching from the east you have nice views of the city with highrises. From the west you get a nice look at the Rhine and the nice hilly landscape alongside it. Munich is way more boring. On the other hand, if you are seating on the south-facing side of the aircraft on approach to rwy 25, then I agree.

VRHNM

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 pm

SIN !

Seeing an aircraft from the airside of the terminal more like a scavenger hunt- I thought I was in an airport, not a shopping mall!
Really dislike the windows overviewing the tarmac to be hidden behind security check, makes spotting from the terminal an impossible task.

VSMUT

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm

VRHNM wrote:
SIN !

Seeing an aircraft from the airside of the terminal more like a scavenger hunt- I thought I was in an airport, not a shopping mall!
Really dislike the windows overviewing the tarmac to be hidden behind security check, makes spotting from the terminal an impossible task.

The discussion is about the most boring approach, not view from the terminal ;)

Wednesdayite

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Agree about DEN from the east.

But DEN from the west is fantastic.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. E145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN

maps4ltd

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Atlanta from certain directions is just waiting in anticipation for short final. Trees, trees, trees, interstate, trees, factory, interstate, factory, trees, and holy shit there's the airport!

St Louis at least has some rivers.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

txjim

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 am

e38 wrote:
I think this a very unusual topic because what people find "boring" or "interesting" is obviously going to be different for every person. But, I just wanted to comment on the opinion submitted by global2 (Reply # 6), above: "Flying into DFW is usually pretty drab . . ." Really?

Of course, what I find interesting about flying into DFW is variable depending on the direction from which you arrive, the direction in which aircraft are landing, and the side of the aircraft on which you are seated, but here are just a few examples that I find INTERESTING when landing at DFW

Great response, echos my thoughts! For me, flying into Cedar Rapids is a great yawn, corn and more corn.

727tiger

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:21 pm

mhkansan wrote:
Most approaches that don't overfly downtown Kansas City into MCI are pretty boring.

Agreed - Any approach to the the 19s. Approaches to the 1s are much more interesting. Approaching 27 is fun because it doesn't - for me anyway - happen often; when it does, I love flying past our house on final.

klm617

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:55 am

Atlanta Georgia is the most boring I've seen.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

TheEuphorian

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:01 am

CGK's approach 07R is actually quite boring, since you mainly fly over a bunch of slums, and thats about it.

aklrno

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:22 am

It would be hard to beat any small Pacific Island for boring. Rarotonga, Fiji, anything in that area. Water, water, water, water, touchdown.

DocLightning

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:54 am

DTW. I have literally seen trucks up on blocks in peoples' lawns on approach.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Max Q

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:01 am

Not exactly what you’re asking but the arrival into EWR is very monotonous as a Pilot, you spend a very long time at low altitude being vectored all over the place before eventually ending up on final approach, being based there most of my life I think I’ve spent thousands of hours at low level dragging through N.Y. airspace !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

BritTraveller

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Worst: IAD, DEN & YYC
Best: LHR, CIA, LAX, IST & PRG

klm617

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:39 pm

DocLightning wrote:
DTW. I have literally seen trucks up on blocks in peoples' lawns on approach.

Yes but the lakes and the skyline is so amazing. I was going to say Flint but there again the Michigan landscape is so beautiful when you are approaching Flint there are lakes everywhere. I can't really say there are any boring approaches as there is always some exciting landscape to view from the sky above. While there are some more exciting than others so far I think my most exciting ones were SEA and GOA
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

InnsbruckFlyer

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Runways 16, 34, and 29 are rather boring into VIE. Runway 11 has a nice view, as long as you are on the left side. You can see the whole Vienna, plus the Donaucity and United Nations complex in the distance on clear days.
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGJ < A21N TC-LSK < B738 TC-JVZ < E195 OE-LWQ < DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN

lesfalls

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
RSW is also unspectacular.

Really, so the scenery inbound from the northwest just to the west of SRQ and then south along the Gulf Coast with Sanibel/Captiva Islands to your right then turn final over Ft. Myers Beach when landing Runway 6 you don't like. :o Okay, to each their own though some find it more interesting as they have the speed brakes out quite often after TYNEE.

Completely agree with you on that! RSW has quite a nice approach over the coast with there not much ubrinization in the area making it unique compared to other big Florida airports. Hope it stays that way!

From my experience I would say MSP was quite boring. flew LGA-MSP and didn't even realise how close we were too the ground due to there being almost nothing on the ground.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.