Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

davidjohnson6
Topic Author

In-flight magazines

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:08 am

Will they re-appear or is their current disappearance permanent ?
Discuss

And yes I know that most a.netters will jump straight to the page with the route map and will happily spend hours staring at it.... :-)

alasizon

Re: In-flight magazines

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 am

Some carriers are still providing an inflight magazine so I highly doubt their disappearance is permanent. They are also a source of advertising income.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Insertnamehere

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 am

I personally doubt that they will come back. Print media has been falling in the public for years now and it would be cheaper just to have a pdf file be accessible for passengers on the onboard wifi.

Its also a cost consideration to add in a magazine for storage, transport, and be added into the routine of turning a cabin or add into daily checks.

Its a relatively high-cost/low-reward item of service.

iflykpdx

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:30 am

Personally I'd prefer a PDF version. Sure, for those of us who collect them, having something physical you can touch is nice, but there's increasingly little reason to ignore the fiscal and environmental savings that going digital brings.
Airport Management - UND

DLASFlyer

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 am

Delta Sky is not coming back. All staff were let go.

NYCAAer

Re: In-flight magazinesa

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:58 am

American still has American Way in the seatback pockets, but I noticed it’s much thinner than it used to be. AA also had Celebrated Living in the first and business class cabins, and Nexos, the Spanish and Portuguese language inflight magazine, in all cabins. I’m not sure if Celebrated Living and Nexos are still onboard.

Personally, I think inflight magazines are a waste of money. No one reads them anymore.

Kent350787

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19 am

NYCAAer wrote:
Personally, I think inflight magazines are a waste of money. No one reads them anymore.

I always read them, especially if flying and international carrier.

I assume that the high end advertising (mostly) paid for them? I agree that a digital form is a better way for them to continue.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:40 am

For full-service carriers they might disappear, but for low-cost airlines (with a buy-on-board program) that won't easily be the case. The in-flight magazine also serves as a catalogue and price list for their on-board offerings. If they don't provide passengers with their magazine anymore, people are less likely to buy something on board.

VSMUT

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
For full-service carriers they might disappear, but for low-cost airlines (with a buy-on-board program) that won't easily be the case. The in-flight magazine also serves as a catalogue and price list for their on-board offerings. If they don't provide passengers with their magazine anymore, people are less likely to buy something on board.

They could always transition to a Norwegian style IFE-based system.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:42 am

VSMUT wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Provided they have IFEs...
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

VSMUT

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Considering how ULCCs are flying longer and longer distances, it might make sense to start implementing it.

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Considering how ULCCs are flying longer and longer distances, it might make sense to start implementing it.

Then you get the question, what weighs more. A magazine or an in-flight entertainment system complete with on-board server, wires, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine would weigh less, and for sure it costs less to print a bunch of magazines than to develop and install an in-flight entertainment system.

VSMUT

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Then you get the question, what weighs more. A magazine or an in-flight entertainment system complete with on-board server, wires, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine would weigh less, and for sure it costs less to print a bunch of magazines than to develop and install an in-flight entertainment system.

For sure it costs less to update the software once a month than printing and distributing magazines, and carrying around spares.

aeromoe

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:14 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
No one reads them anymore.

Pretty broad, generalized statement.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

NYCAAer

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:33 pm

aeromoe wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
No one reads them anymore.

Pretty broad, generalized statement.

Maybe, but it stems from my observations of years working as a flight attendant in the premium cabins on long haul. I think the passengers up there would laugh if I asked them what they thought of American Way. The only ones who get excited about them are airline geeks.

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:20 am

NYCAAer wrote:
Maybe, but it stems from my observations of years working as a flight attendant in the premium cabins on long haul. I think the passengers up there would laugh if I asked them what they thought of American Way. The only ones who get excited about them are airline geeks.

But I assume those premium cabins have some in-flight entertainment system, which is way more interesting than the magazine. Also long haul is a completely different market from short haul, and economy is a completely different market from premium.

If I look at the flights I've had on recent years with Ryanair, Wizzair, EasyJet, etc. you see a lot of people reading those magazines. That's because the magazine is all there is, there is no in-flight entertainment. Also if you want a drink or snack on board you are to pick it out from the magazine (buy-on-board). And then when people are looking that up anyway, they also take a look at the rest of the magazine.

aklrno

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm

A brief introduction to the economics of inflight magazines from someone who used to own one. The airline (and hence magazine) has since been absorbed into a major carrier.

The publisher pays all costs of production and hopes to profit by selling advertising. In exchange for the guaranteed circulation in each seatback pocket the airline gets a specified number of pages for whatever use they want, flight information, fleet information, route map, airport diagrams, drink menu, etc. They can buy additional advertising pages if they want. I never saw that happen! We did not pay any cash to the airline.

Remember the inflight catalogs like Skymall? They did pay the airline to carry their catalogs. I also owned a company that had a quarter page ad in every issue. We were grandfathered into our position in the lower outside corner of the page, a prime position. It essentially made our company successful. It was an unusual product so people had to be convinced to try it (I won't give the details, but it was for pets). They usually became loyal customers. Skymall gave us the introduction that eventually lead to world wide store distribution. An amazing number of bored travelers read Skymall cover to cover! I sold the company so I don't know what became of the Skymall ad.

The only cost to the airline is stuffing the current issue into the seatback pocket, and the additional weight of carrying the magazines. It's been a while, but I think we dropped off the issues at the airline hub and they paid to get them around the network as needed.

Philippine747

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:11 am

PR removed the Mabuhay Magazine from the seat pockets of all aircraft (mainline and PALex) in the early stages of the COVID outbreak. However, they published one or two digital issues, but nothing lately.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

RyanairGuru

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am

I assume it was due to some contractual guarantee with advertisers about circulation, but Qantas (or their publisher) *MAILED* the April and May editions of their magazine to frequent flyers. That must have cost a fortune!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aklrno

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 pm

I don't know how it works in Australia or elsewhere, but in the US publishers get a discount rate for magazines so it costs less than you would think.

September11

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

I'll miss those monthly airline in-flight magazines. I always take one with me. Aren't they included in ticket fares?
Airliners.net of the Future

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm

September11 wrote:
Aren't they included in ticket fares?

That would depend on the airline. At some airlines they are, at others they aren't.

I know that with most LCCs they kindly request you not to take the magazine with you. They can't stop you if you do, but that hardly ever happens. The same magazines are being reused on every flight.

Personally, I always leave them on board so they can use it again for the next passenger.

TheEuphorian

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

IIRC Airasia X used to also had this type of system where the Buy-On-Board is on the PTV, but then they went back to using physical magazines and catalogs.

aklrno

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:03 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
September11 wrote:
Aren't they included in ticket fares?

That would depend on the airline. At some airlines they are, at others they aren't.

I know that with most LCCs they kindly request you not to take the magazine with you. They can't stop you if you do, but that hardly ever happens. The same magazines are being reused on every flight.

Personally, I always leave them on board so they can use it again for the next passenger.

Why would the airline care if you took it? They aren't paying for it. The publisher pays the costs, and extra copies to replace those taken just increases the circulation numbers. When I owned an in-flight publishing company we were carried by an LCC.

AirCanada787

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 am

Like some other on here I think their days are numbered, but to be fair I thought that before Covid-19. I think the current situation will only accelerate the pace at which airlines remove them. I don't know how common this is but for example Porter only produces a in-flight magazine 6 times a year which I'm sure helps to reduce costs.

It seems much easier to add the features of it to in-flight entertainment systems (if available), or an airlines app. This also allows content like duty free and buy onboard meal items to be customized for each route and otherwise easily updated. A small number of printed menus could always be onboard for those without a mobile device.

I will however always fondly remember when I was younger and my parents took us on trips loving to collect the magazines from around the world I think I still have some stored away somewhere from airlines like Qantas, bmi, and more.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

Vasu

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:54 am

I think different airlines will assess the usefulness of inflight magazines depending on their own business case. If they think they contribute enough to onboard sales then sure, bring them back... if they earn a ton of advertising revenue then sure, bring then back... but if they just provide something to read, then maybe they won’t bother... more and more passengers bring their own entertainment with them (probably all passengers these days???)

aklrno

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 am

Much to my surprise a copy of Hemispheres, UA's inflight magazine, showed up in my mailbox today! I guess they are sending it to frequent fliers.

In order to enjoy it properly, I lifted a heavy object into a high shelf, got a few pretzels and a small glass of Diet Coke, and sat down in the narrowest, least comfortable chair in my house and then didn't stand up for 2 hours. All I needed was a small earthquake to simulate turbulence, but you never get an earthquake when you need one. The real best part was that no one got to the crossword puzzle before me.

Flanker7

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:34 am

KLM still has the Holland Herald and there is no indication that it's going. Mostly it has interesting articles and I do take them with me.
Flying blue only if possible

airportugal310

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:26 pm

aklrno wrote:
Much to my surprise a copy of Hemispheres, UA's inflight magazine, showed up in my mailbox today! I guess they are sending it to frequent fliers.

In order to enjoy it properly, I lifted a heavy object into a high shelf, got a few pretzels and a small glass of Diet Coke, and sat down in the narrowest, least comfortable chair in my house and then didn't stand up for 2 hours. All I needed was a small earthquake to simulate turbulence, but you never get an earthquake when you need one. The real best part was that no one got to the crossword puzzle before me.

HA! Timing is everything ;)
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

richcandy

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 am

I remember once reading that Ryanair claimed their the inflight magazine cost them nothing as the advertisements paid for it. I don't know if thats still the case.

In Europe PTV's are not that common on short haul aircraft. So getting rid of the inflight magazine will mean that the airlines would have to find another way to advertise their buy on board products.

BuildingMyBento

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:36 pm

richcandy wrote:
I remember once reading that Ryanair claimed their the inflight magazine cost them nothing as the advertisements paid for it. I don't know if thats still the case.

In Europe PTV's are not that common on short haul aircraft. So getting rid of the inflight magazine will mean that the airlines would have to find another way to advertise their buy on board products.

I recall seeing ads on overhead compartments - and maybe even seat back tray tables - on Chinese airlines.

richcandy

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:33 am

BuildingMyBento wrote:
richcandy wrote:

I recall seeing ads on overhead compartments - and maybe even seat back tray tables - on Chinese airlines.

I haven't flow Ryanair for a while but they did have ads on their overhead compartments and Easyjet did have some advertising on the back of their seats. However both have a fairly large buy on board food and drink menu and also both try to sell perfume, gifts etc. So if they want to continue with that they will need to find a way of advertising it.

Alex