Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Most boring/ugly airline liveries in your opinion (including airlines of the past)

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:06 pm

I have no idea, but a few, in my opinion, are Zantop International Airlines, Delta's Ron Allen livery, US Airways (before the merger), and I'm honestly not a fan of Air Jamaica's livery.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the current DL livery is GOOD. And don't get me started on why people hate the new United. It's OK, just not BAD.

TheWorm123

Re: Most boring/ugly airline liveries in your opinion (including airlines of the past)

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:18 pm

I hate the old Delta livery from the L1011 days in particular and the old grey United livery just looked depressing. Delta’s current livery and the old United stripes livery were spot on though for me.

The old AA livery was also very good, it had been around for so long that it was immediately clear who the plane belonged to and stood out, the new livery with the huge flag makes it look like tacky ‘Trump 2020’ re-election merchandise.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

klm617

Re: Most boring/ugly airline liveries in your opinion (including airlines of the past)

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

The last Northwest Livery and Aeroflot.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

UARNO88

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 pm

One that quickly comes to mind for me is the black and white livery of World Airways. Boring.

AeroLogical

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:15 pm

I find the Virgin Atlantic livery rather ugly and boring. Southwest has always been either drab (old) or garish (new). Easyjet is hideous. Spirit is also hideous.

A few of my favorites: KLM and Air France have a sort of timeless classical beauty. I rather like Turkish's bold red. I'm also one of the people who likes Delta's newest livery--the company stamp on the underbelly is a nice touch on top of the widget.

HNLSLCPDX

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:57 am

I think Cathay Dragon with the red is definitely ugly.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:46 am

AeroLogical wrote:
Easyjet is hideous. Spirit is also hideous.

I don't agree with that. While they aren't the most beautiful liveries, they're modern and refreshing. The fact that they're non-traditional makes them stand out, I like that.

Other examples of non-traditional liveries are for example Wizzair and the newest Cabo Verde Airlines livery. Say what you want about them, but they do stand out.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
The old AA livery was also very good, it had been around for so long that it was immediately clear who the plane belonged to and stood out, the new livery with the huge flag makes it look like tacky ‘Trump 2020’ re-election merchandise.

I agree somewhat about the new American livery, but I disagree about the old one. Yes, it was good when it came out but they retained it for far too long. It should have been replaced much earlier, it stood out in a negative way. A way that would make you say "What does that old plane still do here?"

At least the new livery is more modern, it fits the current times. It's not the most beautiful livery, but not the ugliest either.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:07 am

Of all the liveries still in use, the ugliest in my opinion would be:

1. Korean Air

2. Air China

3. Qatar Airways

I mean, it's 2020. You just cannot have straight horizontal cheatlines anymore. At Qatar it's less obvious, but they too have a straight horizontal line in their livery. That's ugly! And it can simply be fixed by creating a wave effect in the line like KLM did. Their previous livery had a straight horizontal line as well, but that became outdated. Without totally overhauling the livery, they just made the line a bit wavey and immediately they had a fresh modern look again.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:58 pm

UARNO88 wrote:
One that quickly comes to mind for me is the black and white livery of World Airways. Boring.

Yeah. I personally like this one better
https://airlinegeeks.com/oofteemt/2016/ ... 9234_2.jpg

brilondon

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:55 am

Aeroflot from the 70s for me.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

aeromoe

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:14 am

Umm...current China Eastern? Definitely boring.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

VSMUT

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 am

The new SAS livery.
The new American Airlines.
The new Lufthansa.
The latest KLM livery with the wavey line. The straight cheatline was so much better.

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am

VSMUT wrote:
The new SAS livery.
The new Lufthansa.
The latest KLM livery with the wavey line. The straight cheatline was so much better.

I can only say one thing about this: stop living in the past.

Personally I find each of these liveries an improvement over the previous one. Not that the previous one was bad, but it's just not of this time anymore. Different times ask for different liveries.

Take for example KLM. The straight cheatline was fine in the 1990s or so, but this is 2020. Cheatlines are history, but if you got to have them anyway, at least make them a bit wavey. KLM did that in a nice and proper way. So did Aeromexico for example.

And then I'm not even talking about American Airlines. Their bare metal livery just screamed 1960s, but those days are gone. Say what you want about their new livery, but it does suit the modern times.

VSMUT

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:14 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
The new SAS livery.
The new Lufthansa.

Personally I find each of these liveries an improvement over the previous one. Not that the previous one was bad, but it's just not of this time anymore. Different times ask for different liveries.

Take for example KLM. The straight cheatline was fine in the 1990s or so, but this is 2020. Cheatlines are history, but if you got to have them anyway, at least make them a bit wavey. KLM did that in a nice and proper way. So did Aeromexico for example.

And then I'm not even talking about American Airlines. Their bare metal livery just screamed 1960s, but those days are gone. Say what you want about their new livery, but it does suit the modern times.

I can only say one thing: stop having bad taste.

There are several modern liveries that look nice, Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti Nui, Delta, Air Canada and Finnair, just to mention a few. The above mentioned ugly and boring ones are just attrocious.

JannEejit

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:54 am

I was never a BA Landor lover, I still remember the feeling of disappointment when it was first revealed on UK billboard posters over the christmas holiday period 1984/85. If the Negus livery prior was supposed to embody the colours of the union flag then this looked like a grey washed out version, like you accidentally laundered your whites with a rogue black sock in the tub. I often wonder if somehow the California based Landor Associates, created a nice 747 model of it and took it out into the sunshine to admire it in the parking lot or something, because here in the UK and Scotland in particular where I live, the weather tends to be damp, grey and blue. I couldn't help but wonder why the heck BA needed a livery like that ?

Other than that, the tail looked too similar to the previous, and the attempt to invoke some sort of British 'regal' with the Fly to Serve crest and red cheatline, just looked a bit like an attempt to appeal to Joan Collins fans. The current Chatham design looks far more like the natural successor to Negus than Landor ever did.

afterburner

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:11 pm

VSMUT wrote:
There are several modern liveries that look nice, Air New Zealand, Air Tahiti Nui, Delta, Air Canada and Finnair,

Finnair? Its current livery is the first that comes to my mind when talking about boring liveries.

klm617

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:41 pm

VSMUT wrote:
The new SAS livery.
The new Lufthansa.

I agree 100% these are all a step backwards. I like the KLM 70s and 80's livery the best.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:44 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
The new SAS livery.
The new Lufthansa.

There is very little if any creative talent that goes into the liveries of today. It's all done on the cheap with a basic fuselage color and huge billboard titles designed for recognition with little class or individuality.

PatrickZ80

Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 pm

klm617 wrote:
There is very little if any creative talent that goes into the liveries of today. It's all done on the cheap with a basic fuselage color and huge billboard titles designed for recognition with little class or individuality.

I don't agree with that, in fact I think it's quite the opposite. It was the old times that lacked of creative talent.

I mean, they all had basically the same cheatline with the name in the same place, making them all look like each other. One might have been a different color from the other, but if you've seen one you've seen them all.

The modern times on the other hand offer far more variety. Lines in places where you wouldn't expect them in the old times, colors shading over in each other, designs flowing over from the fuselage to the tail, etc. And by far not every airline has billboard titles, but personally I don't mind them. Each airline has a different color, a different font, etc. They stand out in ways that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

Of course in the old times design was done on paper, which limited the options. They had to keep it simple. Nowadays new liveries are digitally designed in Photoshop, they can create whatever they like.

Just compare these two:

The first one could have been designed by a child, it's so simpish. The second one on the other hand, that's what I call good design. Beautifully making use of the old colors in a new place.

ER757

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:18 pm

China Eastern's and Iberia's current liveries come to mind. A shame about IB, their old one was great

Delta777Jet

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Boring / Ugly ones :

Lufthansa ( current - not even recognizable anymore , overhead an older couple saying : “Oh we are not flying Lufthansa it’s operated by someone else “ after spotting the new livery

Finnair ( boring , way too white )

Spirit ( call me Taxi )

easyJet ( current , looks like the plane is wearing a burka )

China Eastern ( current - absolutely hideous)

Aeroflot ( the new one - just not as nice as the old one)
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

T54A

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 pm

The old Air Canada colour scheme was a shocker for me.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3 A359

UA444

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Continental tumor

FGITD

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I don't agree with that, in fact I think it's quite the opposite. It was the old times that lacked of creative talent.

I mean, they all had basically the same cheatline with the name in the same place, making them all look like each other. One might have been a different color from the other, but if you've seen one you've seen them all.

The modern times on the other hand offer far more variety. Lines in places where you wouldn't expect them in the old times, colors shading over in each other, designs flowing over from the fuselage to the tail, etc. And by far not every airline has billboard titles, but personally I don't mind them. Each airline has a different color, a different font, etc. They stand out in ways that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

The first one could have been designed by a child, it's so simpish. The second one on the other hand, that's what I call good design. Beautifully making use of the old colors in a new place.

Strongly agree. I like old liveries for the nostalgia factor, but so many of them are absolutely boring and uncreative. Make the plane white, or bare metal. Throw in a cheatline or two in your colors, and slap your logo on the tail. Done.

These days so many use overlapping, shading, and really accentuate the curvature and bends of the airplane. Sometimes they miss (I think LH, for example should have updated in the Air France minimal change way rather than go all in) but most of the time it comes out looking more interesting.

I saw BA's landor retro 747 lined up quite a few times alongside a host of other carriers, and it stuck out for all the wrong reasons. Beautiful plane and a nice throwback, but if the entire feet looked like that, you'd think they were stuck in the 80s

vegasplanes

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:16 am

Any and all livery changes instituted under the stewardship of one Steve Wolf.

res77W

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:06 pm

I actually think the KLM wave makes the jets look aquatic. I think it could have been executed better.

China Eastern, JAL, Finnair are all horribly dull.

I can't stand the new wave of Euro liveries with the band of color around the tail and white/off-white fuselage...Lufthansa, Iberia, Aer Lingus.

American just screams "redneck" and really missed the mark.

However, I respect that taste varies from person to person. These are just my two cents.

-Rowen

Kno

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Of all the liveries still in use, the ugliest in my opinion would be:

1. Korean Air

2. Air China

3. Qatar Airways

I mean, it's 2020. You just cannot have straight horizontal cheatlines anymore. At Qatar it's less obvious, but they too have a straight horizontal line in their livery. That's ugly! And it can simply be fixed by creating a wave effect in the line like KLM did. Their previous livery had a straight horizontal line as well, but that became outdated. Without totally overhauling the livery, they just made the line a bit wavey and immediately they had a fresh modern look again.

To each their own but I think the wave line is getting outdated and cheap looking. Very early 00s.

Kno

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
I have no idea, but a few, in my opinion, are Zantop International Airlines, Delta's Ron Allen livery, US Airways (before the merger), and I'm honestly not a fan of Air Jamaica's livery.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the current DL livery is GOOD. And don't get me started on why people hate the new United. It's OK, just not BAD.

Contrary to popular belief? The current DL livery seems to be pretty universally liked. I think it was a fantastic re-brand - clean and professional.

Spirit and Easy Jet are awful liveries. Cheap and tacky looking.

IADCA

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Avoiding one-offs: of the current ones, I still find AA's hideous. NK is a good representation of the airline: cheap, tacky, jarring. S7 is the same thing but green. Norwegian's looks like a partially-unrolled red condom.

In the past, DL's Wavy Gravy managed to look bad on every fleet type. Germanwings' silver and yellow one was pretty brutal, too. AI has had some rough looks too, although the current one isn't bad.

PatrickZ80

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Kno wrote:
To each their own but I think the wave line is getting outdated and cheap looking. Very early 00s.

Agreed, but still it's better than a straight line which is even further outdated.

CitizenJustin

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:02 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:
I hate the old Delta livery from the L1011 days in particular and the old grey United livery just looked depressing. Delta’s current livery and the old United stripes livery were spot on though for me.

You hated United’s battleship livery? Goodbye.......

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:05 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

You hated United’s battleship livery? Goodbye.......

I personally think the 90's Delta livery is good. Better than the Ron Allen one if you ask me. (The Ron Allen one only looked good on the MD-11s.) And battleship grey is better than the Tulip one, or even the CURRENT one.

MartijnNL

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Just compare these two (...) The first one could have been designed by a child, it's so simplish. The second one on the other hand, that's what I call good design. Beautifully making use of the old colors in a new place.

Nice!

Hideous!

Exrampieyyz

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:28 am

T54A wrote:
The old Air Canada colour scheme was a shocker for me.

Oh man that lav spill blue on Air Canada was and still is bad!!! Although it's a close call between that and when they added that burgandy cheat line when they got the 320's.
The new one looks good along with the original Air Canada red with the black nose and titles. Got boring when they went to all red.
P51 P38 TBM B17 T34P ST75 C150/72/85 C402/21 AA1 B06 S232/33 AC80 BE35 DC3/4M/8/9/10 DHC4/6/7/8 CRJ2/9 CONI L188 L101 B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87 A319/20/21/30/40/80 E175/90 BA46 BA11 CLVT A748 B190 JS31 SW4 SF34 F28 VISC VC9
my.flightradar24.com/boeinga1

seat1a

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:15 am

Any airline livery from China.

Philippine747

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:27 am

Personally:

China Eastern new scheme. Honestly, even if the old one was kinda drab, it wasn't bland as hell.
SAS new livery. It's not as good as the old one.
myAustrian scheme. Doesn't have that "national airline" vibe.
Joon. Need I say more?
Aer Lingus new scheme. The old one was liked for a reason...
Air Algerie. Still stuck in 1970, and not in a good way.
TAAG short-lived scheme.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

September11

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Don't forget cargo airlines - many liveries
Airliners.net of the Future

TheEuphorian

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 am

Any Chinese airline livery with these generic characteristics:
-All caps title in a blocky font
-Small logo on vertical stabilizer that makes it look like a wet-leased plane from an ACMI operator
-Terrible and out-of-place color palette
-Either eurowhite or has unnecessary cheatlines as part of the livery

Yflyer

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:
the old grey United livery just looked depressing.

I never cared for the "battleship grey" United livery either. It just looked incredibly drab. I'm honestly surprised so many people seem to like it.

n729pa

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:22 pm

I think some liveries look better on certain planes more that others too.

My personal dislikes are...
Scandinavian Airlines. ..dirty grey livery
Brussels Airlines is uninspiring
Emirates bland
China Eastern... they clocked off early and didn't finish the job
Korean Air is tired now, unchanged since mid 80s
Iberia...zzzz ...lost opportunity there to have been creative

I'm not anti-euro white, Qantas have kept theirs fresh despite it basically being nearly 40 years old
Air France font change is especially good on the 787

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

In both cases I'm somewhat reminded of "Life of Brian"

Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't need to follow me. You don't need to follow anybody! You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!
Crowd: [in unison] Yes! We're all individuals!
Brian: You're all different!
Crowd: [in unison] Yes, we are all different!
Man in crowd: I'm not...

I look at the '60s and I see thin cheatlines, thin lettering, and something instantly forgettable on the tail.

I look at today and see too many eurowhite front ends, with garish colors elsewhere.
Or entire aircraft covered with strong, and yet somehow forgettable colors. All trying so very hard to be "yooneek".

Ironically, it is the retro schemes that now stand out as different.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

n729pa

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:05 am

How long will it be before someone decides to put a cheatline on here and a block of colour there....

Good grief wow look at that, that's different
.. that's modern...we've got to have that to show everyone that we're dynamic... modern.. free spirited.

Fashions come and go. If you stick around long enough it comes back around again. Who knows in 2035 you'll see a rash of retro Eurowhite schemes ....did they really get paid for producing that colour scheme ....which airline was that suppose to be ?..oh really was it? Oh...it looks like...or....maybe even....

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am

n729pa wrote:

I'm not anti-euro white, Qantas have kept theirs fresh despite it basically being nearly 40 years old
Air France font change is especially good on the 787

Air France and Qantas were the first two major carriers to embrace "euro-white", and IMHO both have consistently demonstrated how to do it well. Both have tweaked their designs over the years to keep them looking fresh, and both look much better, in my opinion, than the likes of IB, MU, even LH.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

sgbroimp

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Mohawk Airlines? Gotta be up there.....

sgbroimp

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:01 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Mohawk Airlines? Gotta be up there.....

Oh, no I just remembered Spantax....even worse....a lot worse.

BubbleFrog

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:53 am

EasyJet. Those triangle things look awful.
Absolute Relativist