Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brianpr3
Topic Author

Before this crap hit... international trip planning

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:49 am

As you can tell by the title before this crap hit pretty much before i left for nyc, mom asked me to plan a trip to the Philippines for her 45th high school class reunion.
Our home airport is rsw
Mom first asked me book something originating from rsw straight itinerary tried Delta its over $2,000 hell i even tried splitting the itinerary in atl to connect with korean and was still expensive over 2k
So i decided move it up to new York played around with other airlines jal pal korean and cathay (is korean snd cathay always expensive? ). Jal was running a sale but the downside was a 2 airport connection between haneda and Narita.Then mom said lets look at asiana, who also happened to be running a sale also and would have been the cheapest of all the Asian carriers
Would have booked that then came up on jbu the day before booking jbu and oz would have been cheap .would have been leaving in 20 days if this crap hadn't happened, and been gone 4 a month.

Maybe someone can do a better plan from rsw on a single itinerary then me maybe find something cheaper?
Brian

Philippine747

Re: Before this crap hit... international trip planning

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 am

Have you tried looking at BR? The only change of airline I could think of would be UA to BR. On top of that, you can bypass Manila by using Cebu (I don't know what your final destination is but if it is in Visayas/Mindanao, it's better).
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:02 pm

I would look at TK or QR out of MiA. They are usually pretty cheap and no change of carrier needed.

PlymSpotter

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 pm

What class were you booking? $2000 sounds extremely high - I looked at this a year or so ago and was finding plenty of sub $700 one ways in Economy, with plenty of returns under $1000.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea to tell when exactly you plan on traveling. Fares often vary a lot from one day to the next, so maybe you were just looking at the wrong dates. Also what airport in the Philippines would be the final destination?

And does it really have to be a single itinerary? This sounds like the kind of trip where you can save significantly by self-transferring somewhere. For example I found this:

November 22nd
RSW - LAX on Alaska Airlines, departure 10:00am, arrival 12:40pm, $179
LAX - MNL on Philippine Airlines, departure 10:30pm, arrival 04:00am (+1), $577.10

Total fare $756.10

It does come with a long layover in LAX, but at least that guarantees that you can make your connection.

Brianpr3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:19 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
What class were you booking? $2000 sounds extremely high - I looked at this a year or so ago and was finding plenty of sub $700 one ways in Economy, with plenty of returns under $1000.

I played with economy class
Brian

Brianpr3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Philippine747 wrote:
Have you tried looking at BR? The only change of airline I could think of would be UA to BR. On top of that, you can bypass Manila by using Cebu (I don't know what your final destination is but if it is in Visayas/Mindanao, it's better).

Who or what is Br? And eventually Mindanao would have been the final destination, we would have stopped in Manila for a few days before heading down. Mom is from Surigao
Brian

Brianpr3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:52 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I would look at TK or QR out of MiA. They are usually pretty cheap and no change of carrier needed.

I also tried Emirates out of fll too and they were also expensive and I never thought of tk or qr maybe next time when I plan but mom is kind of ehh about driving far to airports etc . cause we aren't going to the Philippines till it calms down with this crap
Brian

Brianpr3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:47 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Maybe it would be a good idea to tell when exactly you plan on traveling. Fares often vary a lot from one day to the next, so maybe you were just looking at the wrong dates. Also what airport in the Philippines would be the final destination?

And does it really have to be a single itinerary? This sounds like the kind of trip where you can save significantly by self-transferring somewhere. For example I found this:

November 22nd
RSW - LAX on Alaska Airlines, departure 10:00am, arrival 12:40pm, $179
LAX - MNL on Philippine Airlines, departure 10:30pm, arrival 04:00am (+1), $577.10

Total fare $756.10

It does come with a long layover in LAX, but at least that guarantees that you can make your connection.

To answer your question, you probably missed at the beginning when I said I would have been leaving in about 20 somewhat days for a month but due to the crap going on now and the rules saying you quarrentine on each island of you travel between Philippine islands hell we would have spent the whole time in quarrentine
Our destination would have eventually been Surigao, she wanted to stop in Manila for a few days
Brian

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Brianpr3 wrote:
Who or what is Br?

EVA Air.

They got a pretty good coverage of the USA, flying to Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco from their hub in Taipei. They got a codeshare agreement with United Airlines for further coverage of the USA. Since United has flights from Southwest Florida to Chicago and Houston, they can provide the trip.

Philippine747

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:18 am

Brianpr3 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

Who or what is Br? And eventually Mindanao would have been the final destination, we would have stopped in Manila for a few days before heading down. Mom is from Surigao

Affirm, that's EVA Air. They also have good schedules inbound Manila, but I see they're currently offering the morning flight only (271/272) for now. They had an afternoon and evening schedule as well.

Also, I remembered that you could probably get AA and PAL on the same ticket out of MIA. You can see it on PAL's site but you may need to seek help from their reservations. Try to see if you can do it out of AA's end.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Also, I remembered that you could probably get AA and PAL on the same ticket out of MIA.

Slight problem, flying out of Miami isn't an option. It has to be RSW. Also, American Airlines isn't listed as a feeder for Philippine Airlines. Their only feeder in North America would be WestJet, however with the Canadian border currently closed that's not an option either.

jetwet1

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 am

$881 rt on Qatar RSW-MNL various dates through the next few months, some long connection times though.
$1002 out of TPA and it saves you 20 hours in both directions.

That gets you to MNL, then just grab a cheap flight to Surigao.

Philippine747

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:05 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:
Also, I remembered that you could probably get AA and PAL on the same ticket out of MIA.

Slight problem, flying out of Miami isn't an option. It has to be RSW. Also, American Airlines isn't listed as a feeder for Philippine Airlines. Their only feeder in North America would be WestJet, however with the Canadian border currently closed that's not an option either.

It's an interline, the flights listed on the PR site have AA numbers... From what I know, PAL only codeshares on WJ flights within Canada...

Also China Airlines would probably be another good option. They're still offering flights to MNL, and they have Skyteam feed.