Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nick123
Topic Author

Could AA fly MIA-ATH on a seasonal basis?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:07 am

I’m wondering if AA could make work a seasonal flight MIA-ATH.

MIA/FLL/WPB is one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country and Greece is a very popular summer destination. AA also runs a pretty big hub at MIA. Plus, many Latin Americans could travel thru MIA.

What do you guys think?

P.S. this is obviously post-Covid

Ishrion

Re: Could AA fly MIA-ATH on a seasonal basis?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:09 am

Sure. 787-8s are beginning to funnel through MIA later this year, nicely sized aircraft for the route. AA seems to be doing well in ATH with the recent addition of JFK-ATH complementing PHL/ORD-ATH.

If I’m not mistaken, ORD and JFK have huge Greek American populations. Anyone know the O&D for ATH to MIA and those two cities?

Though, it’s been quite a few years since AA added a TATL route out of MIA. Would be nice to see a new one post-COVID.

alasizon

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 am

The problem with ATH is the low yielding traffic and the lower demand in the winter. ATH is probably the most seasonal major city in Europe in terms of US demand.

It would likely work seasonally but I don’t see there being enough traffic Oct-Feb to support the route without significantly discounting ATH-Carribean which would cut into the high profit seats to the Carribean from continental US demand.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

usflyer msp

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 am

No, will not work. ATH yields suck 3/4 of the year and MIA is primarily an inbound (Europeans coming to Miami) not an outbound (South Floridians heading to Europe) market, Greece does not produce enough traffic.

Nick123
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:30 am

Please read the topic. I’m suggesting a SEASONAL summer service.

MAH4546

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:47 am

usflyer msp wrote:
No, will not work. ATH yields suck 3/4 of the year and MIA is primarily an inbound (Europeans coming to Miami) not an outbound (South Floridians heading to Europe) market, Greece does not produce enough traffic.

It won't work, agreed, but not because it doesn't produce enough traffic. Athens has the volume to support to Miami, also LA, D.C. and Boston for that matter, but for other reasons that you mentioned, yeah, it won't work.
a.

redadeco

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:02 am

No chance, southern Florida is a destination rather than a departure point and you can't rely on VFR to Greece outside the northeast and Chicago. Plus no OW partners based in ATH to take pax to the islands which are the main draw in summer.

Melbourne

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:24 am

I am not 100% sure on MIA into ATH, back in 2009 Delta were operating services twice daily from JFK into Athens on 767-300s in addition a 4 or 5 weekly flight was operated direct from ATL as well. Assuming the ATL services are all fed from additional points across the US assuming that I don't think they would have been feeding from ORD, BOS, IAD into ATL and then onto ATH? I could be wrong.

Caymanair

Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:34 am

I'm not sure it would make sense. Probably very marginal... there is little VFR or business traffic and the leisure traffic would be incredibly low-yielding. SoFla isn't providing a big market of persons heading to Greece and any connections from Caribbean/Central America/ South America would be minimal and as already suggested could have a downward pressure on yields.

Pre-covid it would have been an incredibly marginal route, and post-covid I don't think it is likely for a long time.

johns624

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Nick123 wrote:
Please read the topic. I’m suggesting a SEASONAL summer service.
Wouldn't work. Both are summer, warm weather destinations. Why would people already in one or them go to the other?

Thenoflyzone

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:52 pm

I think AA has better use of a B788 than a summer seasonal MIA-ATH run.

Firstly, Latin America-ATH is already well served via European carriers through their hubs. Not to mention it's less of a hassle flying a Euro carrier vs AA.
Flying through FRA, AMS, CDG or MAD has the advantage where you only clear customs once. The second leg to ATH is basically a domestic flight. If you fly AA Latin America-MIA-ATH, you are clearing customs twice, once at MIA, and then once again at ATH.

Second, although Florida has a decent amount of Greek Americans, Tampa and the west coast is the largest concentration of said population, not Miami.

Third, and as others have said, ATH is a low yielding seasonal destination. MIA is at a disadvantage here, due to stage length. Better to leave ATH to be served via the US northeast, where you can catch more connecting traffic, and where the stage length to ATH is at its least, therefore increasing the chances to make a profit.

I doubt you will see AA on MIA-ATH.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

PatrickZ80

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 pm

redadeco wrote:
No chance, southern Florida is a destination rather than a departure point and you can't rely on VFR to Greece outside the northeast and Chicago. Plus no OW partners based in ATH to take pax to the islands which are the main draw in summer.

I agree a flight to Athens would only serve a very small part of Greece, and not even the part that draws the most passengers. It doesn't help that demand for Greece is scattered all over the country.

Therefor the European airlines are at an advantage here, serving all of those secondary Greek destinations from their hubs. If you need to transfer anyway, it doesn't need to be Athens. It can be anywhere in Europe. However American Airlines partner British Airways is at a disadvantage as they only serve Miami from Heathrow while the Greek islands are mostly served from Gatwick. The same goes for Air France, who serves Miami from Charles de Gaulle while the Greek islands are served from Orly by their subsidiary Transavia France.

However KLM, Lufthansa and SAS are in the position to funnel passengers from Miami to secondary Greek destinations through their hubs. I know, most flights to the Greek islands for KLM are operated by Transavia but still out of Amsterdam, the same airport KLM takes them to from Miami. Same goes for Lufthansa and EuroWings. As a matter of fact, passengers could fly the entire way on EuroWings with a transfer in Dusseldorf.

With so many one-stop options, there's no need for a direct flight which for most people wouldn't be direct anyway.

bfitzflyer

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:57 pm

I can see this happening. AA seems to be making irresponsible additions since COVID that are not in the best interests of their shareholders. So this fits that pretty well.