Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

What were the worst business class seats you've ever been on?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:30 pm

I certainly hated the herringbone seats on DL's un-retrofitted 777s, but luckily I don't have to worry about that because the 777s are getting retired. (I'm sad that the PLANE itself is leaving. The seat not so much. So don't call me a 777 hater or anything.) The Angle flat seats on AA's former 757s weren't stellar either. I don't really know anything else.....
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

aklrno

Re: What were the worst business class seats you've ever been on?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 pm

I hated the UA lay flat business seats pre Polaris. Four across in the center section of a 777! I think the new Polaris seats are my favorite of any I've flown in. I just wish I could go somewhere.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 am

aklrno wrote:
I hated the UA lay flat business seats pre Polaris. Four across in the center section of a 777! I think the new Polaris seats are my favorite of any I've flown in. I just wish I could go somewhere.

THIS! It was economy with a lie down seat. Oh, the F/As we’re older than coach, so there’s that. I was flying back from HKG with a new-ish co-pilot from a Asian corporate jet trip. Said pilot asks F/A how long she’s been with UA. I winced. “44 years and I’m still serving business class”.

WesternDC6B

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:48 am

The herringbone Delta seats were awful. The foot well and my 14EEEE feet were not happy together.

I LIKED the business seats in the Delta planes that flew Tokyo to Bangkok years ago. They looked like the cars on an amusement park Tilt-A-Whirl. Very "Bear-Friendly" (I'm a big dude.)
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

VSMUT

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 am

Any euro-business seat.

I think it's hard to say that one seat is worse than the other. It really depends how it is used. Those big recliner style seats often found on narrowbodies are fine if you don't use it for longer than a few hours. Angle-flats are fine for daylight flights where you don't really sleep.

The worst I've tried by far is the British Airways seat on the 787.

- 7-abreast in a 787 is bad when most 777 operators are putting no more than 6-abreast and as little as 4-abreast in a much wider plane.
- High walls give an impression of being stuck in a coffin, should you be unlucky enough to get stuck in the middle seat.
- Alternatively you can lower the barrier and stare into the face of a stranger or two.
- Absolutely no window view from anywhere except window seats.
- Aisle seats have no privacy at all towards the aisle.
- Seat isn't a proper lie-flat bed. It requires a foot-stool to be folded down for your feet.
- TV can't be viewed while it is stowed.
- Stowage shelves can't be accessed while seat is in flat position.

bfitzflyer

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:55 pm

AA old business class, by far the worst. I think they had some sort of gross sheep thing on them and barely reclined. What an awful product. Nothing in the thread above comes close.

InnsbruckFlyer

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:24 pm

BA's old Club World is awful. As a UA frequent-flyer, I grew to like the old Polaris seats, though at first I hated them. Being on the upper deck of a 47 softens the blow :spin: LH's old J was pretty sucky, too:

Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGJ < A21N TC-LSK < B738 TC-JVZ < E195 OE-LWQ < DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN

eurotrader85

Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:57 pm

What seams to be a common theme, would have to also say BA's old Club World.

cpd

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:47 pm

I found the Emirates A380 business class seats very firm, but otherwise okay.

The newer 777 seats (2-3-2) are softer and a bit more comfortable. The A380 otherwise was nicer.

DocLightning

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:26 am

LH. Cramped, no aisle access, and at the end of the flight (MUC-SFO), one of of my legs was so swollen because the seat must have compressed a vein, I thought I had a DVT (I didn't).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Turnhouse1

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Any euro-business seat.

I think it's hard to say that one seat is worse than the other. It really depends how it is used. Those big recliner style seats often found on narrowbodies are fine if you don't use it for longer than a few hours. Angle-flats are fine for daylight flights where you don't really sleep.

The worst I've tried by far is the British Airways seat on the 787.

- 7-abreast in a 787 is bad when most 777 operators are putting no more than 6-abreast and as little as 4-abreast in a much wider plane.
- High walls give an impression of being stuck in a coffin, should you be unlucky enough to get stuck in the middle seat.
- Alternatively you can lower the barrier and stare into the face of a stranger or two.
- Absolutely no window view from anywhere except window seats.
- Aisle seats have no privacy at all towards the aisle.
- Seat isn't a proper lie-flat bed. It requires a foot-stool to be folded down for your feet.
- TV can't be viewed while it is stowed.
- Stowage shelves can't be accessed while seat is in flat position.

I've never flown it on the 787 and agree that single centre seat could be a bit claustrophobic with the dividers up.

But the 'x seats across' argument is wrong. Most newer business seats, such as the replacement BA club seats, have your feet in a box alongside the seat of the row in front. The forward back orientation means that your feet are across a divider alongside the opposite seat in the same row. As most people are wider at the shoulder than the ankle, the seats are designed to accommodate this and quite comfortable unless you're morbidly obese. The TV is rubbish. But for their main job of sleeping on an eastbound TATL, these seats are pretty optimal.

Most 'bad' business seats are designed for a purpose. Eurobusiness isn't particularly luxurious, but for what are mostly <2 hour flights, you get; priority check-in, lounge access, priority boarding, a seat between you and your neighbour and better catering. While it allows the size of the business cabin to be changed by moving a curtain, so the same plane can be used on business and leisure routes with differing business:economy demand. Again, a lot of the bad long haul seats are basically the old style business, which looks like a slightly more spacious premium economy now.

All seats are a trade between space used and comfort. A good seat is one which gets the maximum amount of comfort and amenity for the minimum amount of floor-space in the plane as otherwise it will be uneconomic.

seat1a

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:57 pm

While I like BA's business class, the center section on a 747 or 787 is a service-no-man's-land.

fbgdavidson

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Because I'm savvy/knowledgeable/OCD/plan-ahead whatever you want to call it I can generally avoid the airlines/aircraft I know will have bad seats. As I pay for the premium cabins I always want to try and maximize value so will aim to get a better option where possible.

Assuming we are talking longhaul business seats and not calling US domestic (recliner) FC or including Euro Business Class here I'd say:

-AA Business Class seat that was around from 2007 or so. It was a paired recliner angled seat but was borderline impossible to escape a window seat. I purposefully avoided it unless I was travelling with my significant other. Luckily I only ended up on it a few times on domestic flights where it was superior to the recliner FC seating.

-BA Club World if you end up with a bad seat. Luckily in countless dozens Club World flights since the lie flat came in around 1999/2000 I've only ended up in a truly bad seat the once. I was booking last minute on an overnight flight and figured that 14E or whatever it was would be better than WT+. It was, and I slept from wheels up to the 20mins to landing announcement. But if I'd paid revenue money for that seat on a 14hr flight LHR-SIN or whatever I'd have been enraged! Otherwise upper deck window seats are amazing, for example.

-Pre-merger United's 2-4-2 business class seat was extremely meh, massive lack of storage and again, another seat I'd only have chosen if sat next to a significant other. I did so that way a few times between London and Washington and EWR and Buenos Aires and it worked.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

VSMUT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:19 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
-BA Club World if you end up with a bad seat. Luckily in countless dozens Club World flights since the lie flat came in around 1999/2000 I've only ended up in a truly bad seat the once. I was booking last minute on an overnight flight and figured that 14E or whatever it was would be better than WT+. It was, and I slept from wheels up to the 20mins to landing announcement. But if I'd paid revenue money for that seat on a 14hr flight LHR-SIN or whatever I'd have been enraged! Otherwise upper deck window seats are amazing, for example.

It's especially obvious how disliked that cabin is when you see how quickly the window seats are booked. They easily get sold out several weeks in advance. At the check-in desk, it isn't uncommon to see almost most passengers request a window seat. Ditto at the boarding desk and in the cabin. That product is almost universally disliked by the frequent flyers. You never see this frantic rush to get the better seats at any other airline.

N649DL

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:49 am

AA's first prototype "Near Lie Flat" J seat on the 763 launched in 2006 was pretty awful. I remember getting upgraded at the gate and flying LAX-DFW in college and I could never get comfortable in the seat using the controls on a 3 hour flight. Not putting AVOD into the seats was another fail. The product just screamed where AA was at the time (cheap.) UA ate their lunch a year later with the launch of the IPTE product.

UA's (Ex-CO) J-Class seat I was also not a fan of because of the foot well area and I'm almost 6'1". Seat Padding was also pretty lousy. It's funny because I don't tend to sleep on planes but I easily could on UA's J recliner seat on PS, but never the ex-CO J seat.

aklrno wrote:

Never sat in one but I've heard length, padding, and footing of the seat was better than the ex-CO product. I think UA did the 2-4-2 thing to optimize upgrade rates for elites as well.

zrs70

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:10 pm

The generation of seats that were angled lie flat. Those were terrible.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

eurotrader85

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:17 pm

DocLightning wrote:
LH. Cramped, no aisle access, and at the end of the flight (MUC-SFO), one of of my legs was so swollen because the seat must have compressed a vein, I thought I had a DVT (I didn't).

Oh yeah good one :lol: In the middle of a 3 on the 744 layout where with the way they angled the seats it was like you were spooning the person next to you! Utterly bizarre :lol:

jetwet1

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:48 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Any euro-business seat.

Really, can there be any argument that this isn't the worst ?

But true business seats, the PIA seat on the 777 is pretty bad, though the food was outstanding.

BawliBooch

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 am

Emirates used to have 2-4-2 business class on 777 BOM-DXB - my very first flight with EK.

And I can NEVER get used to the reverse herringbone layout of B**** Awful (BA). That is weird!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

hoons90

Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Not a huge fan of Cathay Pacific's regional business class seat. Not terrible for a short HKG-TPE hop, but they're also used on flights that are 5+ hours long, like CTS/TYO-HKG.

Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Rossiya747

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:28 pm

South African A320 (Its the only one I've been on)
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

VSMUT

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:03 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Any euro-business seat.

Really, can there be any argument that this isn't the worst?

Yes. It isn't a business class seat at all. ;)

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:20 pm

USAirways 762 Envoy class seats around 2012, Padding was flat because they had been there so so many years. Not true lie flat. Just awful. I was rebooked onto this because my original flight on a different carrier cancelled.

BubbleFrog

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:02 am

I found myself a bit boxed in in SAS, unless you are in the front row.
Absolute Relativist