Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Carry-ons that are way too large!

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I’m sitting in ATL now, waiting for my next flight. I am still amazed at how many people continue to attempt to carry-on their dinosaur-sized roller bags onto regional jets! People should know by now that it doesn’t work.

I realize that they don’t want to pay the bag fees, but this is getting ridiculous. I think DL should do what NK does and charge $100 a bag at the gate. The number of people bringing everything but the kitchen sink has got to stop. If those bags were checked , the aircraft would board and deplane quicker, allowing for greater efficiency and cost savings on the airline’s part.

I mean, come on, these people can wait 10 minutes at the baggage claim. No one’s that important that they can’t go to the baggage claim. Also, people can pay for a first class upgrade (which isn’t that expensive these days) and get free, priority baggage service.

I just think the airlines could be more profitable if they could limit gargantuan carry-ons in the cabin and get the planes in and out faster).

WesternDC6B

Re: Carry-ons that are way too large!

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:31 pm

If the airlines would just go back to how it was, that is, a baggage allowance, a lot of this nonsense would grind to a screeching halt. The planes would turn faster, for one thing. As for regional jets, some of the bins will barely hold a clutch purse much less a standard bring-aboard.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

PatrickZ80

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
I’m sitting in ATL now, waiting for my next flight. I am still amazed at how many people continue to attempt to carry-on their dinosaur-sized roller bags onto regional jets! People should know by now that it doesn’t work.

I realize that they don’t want to pay the bag fees, but this is getting ridiculous. I think DL should do what NK does and charge $100 a bag at the gate. The number of people bringing everything but the kitchen sink has got to stop. If those bags were checked , the aircraft would board and deplane quicker, allowing for greater efficiency and cost savings on the airline’s part.

I mean, come on, these people can wait 10 minutes at the baggage claim. No one’s that important that they can’t go to the baggage claim. Also, people can pay for a first class upgrade (which isn’t that expensive these days) and get free, priority baggage service.

I just think the airlines could be more profitable if they could limit gargantuan carry-ons in the cabin and get the planes in and out faster).

While I agree that it is getting out of hand, I also understand the airlines for acting like they do.

For each checked bag they pay a handling fee to the airport, or the luggage handler, or whoever. However for gate checked luggage they don't, that's free. So they want to keep the number of checked bags as low as possible and certainly not give something away for free that is costing them money.

The solution should be in larger overhead bins so that this large hand luggage actually fits. Both Boeing and Airbus are already moving in that direction, the newer 737 and A320 overhead bins can hold far more bags than the previous ones. Only at the older aircraft and the regional aircraft it's still a problem.

FGITD

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:57 pm

You can offer free check in, priority handling, real time baggage tracking, and people will still want to take their bag on board.

A lot of people simply don't want to entrust their belongings the the airline.

Personally unless I have a brutally short connection (one of the fun things of non-rev, you can book yourself with things like 15 minute connections) then I say take it! I don't want to lug a bag around all day

Jutlander

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
People should know by now that it doesn’t work.

If it doesn't work, then it's up to the airline to make it work, for example by using bigger overhead bins. How they do it is their problem, but there is demand for large carry-on on board and airlines must give in to that demand.

Iloveboeing wrote:
The number of people bringing everything but the kitchen sink has got to stop. If those bags were checked , the aircraft would board and deplane quicker, allowing for greater efficiency and cost savings on the airline’s part.

But it will not stop, this is how people want to travel. The customer is king, airlines are to adapt to what the customers want.

Iloveboeing wrote:

It does not matter if they can, they do not want to. Airlines cannot force customers to check their luggage if they don't want, they'd fly another airline where they are allowed to keep their luggage on board. Because that's what they want.

Iloveboeing wrote:

I do not think so. Any airline who would try that would find their planes to be empty. People do not want their carry-ons to be limited. Also airlines pay a significant cost for checked luggage which quickly outweighs a few more minutes on the tarmac.

VSMUT

Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Jutlander wrote:
I do not think so. Any airline who would try that would find their planes to be empty. People do not want their carry-ons to be limited. Also airlines pay a significant cost for checked luggage which quickly outweighs a few more minutes on the tarmac.

It works for Ryanair.

But the big issue with limiting carry-ons for most non-low cost carriers is that they also carry premium passengers and frequent flyers that do have carry on luggage included. There is no practical way that works in every airport to manage different groups of passengers, in a way that doesn't take up even more time.

Iloveboeing wrote:
I mean, come on, these people can wait 10 minutes at the baggage claim.

10 minutes? That's really fast. In Copenhagen it rarely takes under 20 minutes. In some airports I've regularly had to wait for an hour.

Iloveboeing wrote:
Also, people can pay for a first class upgrade (which isn’t that expensive these days) and get free, priority baggage service.

Not that expensive? When did you last buy one? Business class is easily four times as expensive. In my experience, the priority baggage service rarely works outside of the airlines own hub.

aeromoe

Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

For each checked bag they pay a handling fee to the airport, or the luggage handler, or whoever.

To that I say it's part of the price of doing business. A small piece of a complicated puzzle, yes, but still.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:56 am

I check my bag except for really short stay trips where I use a real overnight bag. In the US, I hope they lose, so they can just deliver to my hotel off the next flight—works well most of the time they lose it. Coming home, no question, check it and take the chance they’ll deliver it. International a bit problematic, that’s what that real small overnight is for.

My best one was a really tight connection in ATL after long delay leaving FLL. Walking out of the gate at home, I heard, “Mr GF, please come to DL Baggage Claim Office”. I knew it didn’t make it, swung by, picked up the chit and was gone to my car. Fastest ever arrival.

OTOH, nothing is glummer than watching the carousel stop, you don’t have your bags and it’s 4am, 12 time zones and 48 hours from departure.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:44 am

VSMUT wrote:
Jutlander wrote:

It works for Ryanair.

But the big issue with limiting carry-ons for most non-low cost carriers is that they also carry premium passengers and frequent flyers that do have carry on luggage included. There is no practical way that works in every airport to manage different groups of passengers, in a way that doesn't take up even more time.

Iloveboeing wrote:

10 minutes? That's really fast. In Copenhagen it rarely takes under 20 minutes. In some airports I've regularly had to wait for an hour.

Iloveboeing wrote:
Also, people can pay for a first class upgrade (which isn’t that expensive these days) and get free, priority baggage service.

Not that expensive? When did you last buy one? Business class is easily four times as expensive. In my experience, the priority baggage service rarely works outside of the airlines own hub.

Today’s trip, actually. I flew SGF-ATL-TRI on DL and I had upgraded my fare to first class when I booked my ticket a couple of months ago. My coach fare was $300 roundtrip and the first class upgrade was $220 roundtrip. It was well worth it.

Both flights were on regional jets and only the SGF-ATL portion had first class, but I also got priority boarding and priority baggage. When I arrived in TRI, I waited less than 10 minutes and my bag was literally the second bag to come down the carousel.

So I am willing to pay more for better service.

alo2yyz

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:17 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Jutlander wrote:

It works for Ryanair.

Iloveboeing wrote:

Iloveboeing wrote:

Today’s trip, actually. I flew SGF-ATL-TRI on DL and I had upgraded my fare to first class when I booked my ticket a couple of months ago. My coach fare was $300 roundtrip and the first class upgrade was $220 roundtrip. It was well worth it.

Both flights were on regional jets and only the SGF-ATL portion had first class, but I also got priority boarding and priority baggage. When I arrived in TRI, I waited less than 10 minutes and my bag was literally the second bag to come down the carousel.

You do realize not everyone has an extra $220 to plunk down, right? (especially in Appalachia &/or the Ozarks) The entitlement one must have to just casually say "people can pay for a first-class upgrade."

Do consumers slow boarding with carry-ons that are too large? Yes.

Do airlines slow boarding by incentivizing large carry-ons by charging for checked luggage? Yes.

If one pays $300 in fare and a checked bag is $25 one-way...well, $50 is an extra 16% on top of the $300 ticket. Toss in the wait at baggage claim and no wonder many people drag carry-on luggage around.

zuckie13

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:31 am

Not likely even to change even if you have free checked baggage these days. I fly WN mostly (is there anyone else in the US still free or are they it at this point?), and it's not like there is empty space in the overhead on those flights.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:26 am

alo2yyz wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

It works for Ryanair.

You do realize not everyone has an extra $220 to plunk down, right? (especially in Appalachia &/or the Ozarks) The entitlement one must have to just casually say "people can pay for a first-class upgrade."

Do consumers slow boarding with carry-ons that are too large? Yes.

Do airlines slow boarding by incentivizing large carry-ons by charging for checked luggage? Yes.

If one pays $300 in fare and a checked bag is $25 one-way...well, $50 is an extra 16% on top of the $300 ticket. Toss in the wait at baggage claim and no wonder many people drag carry-on luggage around.

I just think that people should be heavily penalized for bringing large carry-ons onboard the aircraft. If airlines could turnaround faster, they would be more efficient and more profitable. WN proved this with the 25 minute turnaround (though I know it’s greater than that these days) so not charging for bags is more efficient and allows for quicker turnarounds.

On DL, upgrading to first class was wonderful and I’ll try to do it more often in the future, as long as the price is within reasonable limits. Plus, the airlines are hurting right now and I wanted to help support DL in these trying times. I am not entitled; I just wanted to help DL and have a better travel experience in the process.

PatrickZ80

Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:58 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
I just think that people should be heavily penalized for bringing large carry-ons onboard the aircraft. If airlines could turnaround faster, they would be more efficient and more profitable. WN proved this with the 25 minute turnaround (though I know it’s greater than that these days) so not charging for bags is more efficient and allows for quicker turnarounds.

I don't agree.

Ryanair is able to make 25 minute turnarounds as well, despite them being specifically known as an airline where people bring large carry-ons on board. Therefor those large carry-ons make little difference in turnaround times.

Airlines are being heavily penalized by airports or luggage handlers for checked luggage, but carry-ons are free. So why would you want airlines to encourage something that costs them money instead of something that's free for them. The difference in turnaround times is negligible, but airlines can save significantly on checked luggage fees from airports or luggage handlers by encouraging hand luggage over checked luggage.

You assume faster turnaround times are more profitable, this is not the case! The opposite is true, those few minutes more on the tarmac hardly cost anything but the checked luggage costs are killing the airlines. You focus way too much on faster turnaround times, seeing it as efficient. However if that efficiency costs a lot of money on luggage handling, you'd rather be a little less efficient in order to save money.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

I don't agree.

Ryanair is able to make 25 minute turnarounds as well, despite them being specifically known as an airline where people bring large carry-ons on board. Therefor those large carry-ons make little difference in turnaround times.

Airlines are being heavily penalized by airports or luggage handlers for checked luggage, but carry-ons are free. So why would you want airlines to encourage something that costs them money instead of something that's free for them. The difference in turnaround times is negligible, but airlines can save significantly on checked luggage fees from airports or luggage handlers by encouraging hand luggage over checked luggage.

You assume faster turnaround times are more profitable, this is not the case! The opposite is true, those few minutes more on the tarmac hardly cost anything but the checked luggage costs are killing the airlines. You focus way too much on faster turnaround times, seeing it as efficient. However if that efficiency costs a lot of money on luggage handling, you'd rather be a little less efficient in order to save money.

I understand what you’re saying, however I think it is a nuisance and inconvenience for people bringing on massive carry-ons because they’re too snobby to pay the $30 to check their bag. I hate having to wait to board while people push, tug and pull to get their gigantic roller bags into the not-so-large overhead bins, slowing down the overall boarding process.

What’s even crazier is that most of the flying public can’t tell the difference between a mainline aircraft and a regional jet. For regional jet flights, they still bring their large carry-ons, expecting to fit them in the tiny overhead bins. People need to check their bags and this problem would be solved.

alo2yyz

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:04 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

I don't agree.

I understand what you’re saying, however I think it is a nuisance and inconvenience for people bringing on massive carry-ons because they’re too snobby to pay the $30 to check their bag. I hate having to wait to board while people push, tug and pull to get their gigantic roller bags into the not-so-large overhead bins, slowing down the overall boarding process.

What’s even crazier is that most of the flying public can’t tell the difference between a mainline aircraft and a regional jet. For regional jet flights, they still bring their large carry-ons, expecting to fit them in the tiny overhead bins. People need to check their bags and this problem would be solved.

Good lord. In one breath you claim not paying for a checked bag is "snobby" and then in the next, you comment on the knowledge of the public writ large and suggest "most" of the public is ignorant.

Please, tell us more about the snobs who are not willing and/or are not able to pay for a checked bag at the price the airlines charge.

vhtje

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:50 pm

I personally don't comprehend the trouble some people will put themselves through just to save £20 in baggage fees. You have to schlepp the bag through security, pull out your liquids and put them in a clear plastic bag, then you have to schlepp the thing through the airport and onto the aircraft, then fight onboard for overhead space. Oy vey, what a hassle. Just pay the £20 and check it already. I really, really, really, really do not understand why some people are so cheap when it comes to buying air travel.

In the US on domestic sectors, on nearly every flight I have been on in the last few years the gate agents have offered free gate bag check. Perhaps people are counting on that?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

klm617

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:08 pm

vhtje wrote:
I personally don't comprehend the trouble some people will put themselves through just to save £20 in baggage fees. You have to schlepp the bag through security, pull out your liquids and put them in a clear plastic bag, then you have to schlepp the thing through the airport and onto the aircraft, then fight onboard for overhead space. Oy vey, what a hassle. Just pay the £20 and check it already. I really, really, really, really do not understand why some people are so cheap when it comes to buying air travel.

In the US on domestic sectors, on nearly every flight I have been on in the last few years the gate agents have offered free gate bag check. Perhaps people are counting on that?

Same here if I'm going somewhere over a week I always check my bag even if it costs me money. Not worth the TSA hassle and all the other crap that goes along with carrying a large bag. I like traveling arms free it helps expediate my ability to ensure that I make my connection. I do think though that everyone who brings an illegal bag to the gate should be charged and that bag should be checked. My pet peeve is someone standing in the middle of the aisle holding up boarding trying to heave their oversize bag into the overhead bin with no concern for the rest of the people boarding or someone who is in violation of the one carry on rule running around the plane looking for bin space for all their junk.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Jutlander wrote:

It works for Ryanair.

Iloveboeing wrote:

Iloveboeing wrote:

Bless you for having that extra money to throw around. Wonder if you'd make the same choice if you had a wife and three kids with you.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

VSMUT

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:46 pm

vhtje wrote:

Although I agree, £20 is a bit on the low side. KLM, Air France and Lufthansa charge €40/£36 at check-in. For a family of four, that will quickly amount to £288 on an intra-european return trip. Ryanair lies at £25-£35 at booking and £40 after booking.

vhtje

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Although I agree, £20 is a bit on the low side. KLM, Air France and Lufthansa charge €40/£36 at check-in. For a family of four, that will quickly amount to £288 on an intra-european return trip. Ryanair lies at £25-£35 at booking and £40 after booking.

Well, whatever it is - the cost should be factored into the total cost of the trip. Look, if £36 - of £288 for a family of four - is going to make a difference to the affordability of the trip, then arguably, you shouldn't be taking that trip. Bag check fees are cheaper if you pay them when booking the ticket though, yes?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm

vhtje wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Well, whatever it is - the cost should be factored into the total cost of the trip. Look, if £36 - of £288 for a family of four - is going to make a difference to the affordability of the trip, then arguably, you shouldn't be taking that trip. Bag check fees are cheaper if you pay them when booking the ticket though, yes?

They can indeed be gotten cheaper at check-in. We both agree on your points, but the reality is that there is a massive amount of people who would jump in joy at the possibility of getting £200 tickets to Bali, stuck in a 10-abreast 777 for 18 hours (or worse, French Bee A350 to Tahiti) with overpriced food and beverages available for purchase. For them, lugging a suitcase around is nothing.

Yflyer

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:00 pm

FGITD wrote:
You can offer free check in, priority handling, real time baggage tracking, and people will still want to take their bag on board.

Indeed. Back in the days before bag fees I still tried to travel only with a carry-on, because I was afraid if I checked my bag it would get lost and/or damaged. I remember there was some TV personality who did a travel segment on the Today Show who had a saying: "There are two kinds of bags: carry-on and lost." IIRC he even recommended shipping your luggage to destination via Fed Ex if it was too large to carry on, rather than trusting the airline with it.

Actually, my lack of trust in the airline to get my bag to my destination may have partly been due to my lack of experience flying then versus now. I am actually more willing to check my bag today than I was 15 years ago. I think having checked bags over the years because I had to, and seeing that they did in fact arrive unscathed, helped reassure me that my bags will be ok if I check them.

Jutlander

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:

For a lot of people $30 to check their bag is quite a lot of money, specially if they can get the same thing for free by just carrying that large roller around. Indeed it does slow down the boarding process, that's just the way it is. Live with it, because it ain't going to change.

Of course lots of people can't tell the difference between regional and mainline, why would they? A flight is a flight, regardless of the type of aircraft. And yes, people expect them to fit in the overhead bins. If they don't, that's the airline's problem. Not theirs. They got the right to take hand luggage of that dimension on board, it's just that the airline cannot accomodate. That makes the airline responsible, don't blame it on the people. Airlines need to install larger overhead bins so all those large carry-ons fit and this problem would be solved.

vhtje wrote:

I bet you've never had your luggage damaged or lost. If you had, you wouldn't talk like that.

Back in the days when I still checked luggage it happened to me several times. One time my luggage was severely damaged, everything had been ripped apart. There were some pretty expensive clothes in there (designer brand) that had become useless. The airline refused to pay, saying it was my own responsibility. And two times my luggage just disappeared, never to be seen again. It was all well-labeled with my address on it and everything. And again there were some expensive clothes in there that are lost forever.

Of course people want to save on baggage fees, can't blame them for that. They got the right to bring hand luggage on board for free and if that's sufficient for them, then why would they check it? Why pay if you can get your luggage with you for free? But that's not even the main reason. People just want to keep an eye on their luggage, they don't want to give it out of hands. For me that's the major reason. And if I have to carry it through security and have my liquids in a plastic bag, then so be it. Oh yes, I have been offered to gate check my luggage. No way! I'm not giving it out of hands, not after what happened to me earlier. My bag goes in the cabin. If I have to buy priority boarding for that, I will. I'm always first in line for boarding so I can take my bag with me in the cabin.

klm617 wrote:
Same here if I'm going somewhere over a week I always check my bag even if it costs me money. Not worth the TSA hassle and all the other crap that goes along with carrying a large bag. I like traveling arms free it helps expediate my ability to ensure that I make my connection. I do think though that everyone who brings an illegal bag to the gate should be charged and that bag should be checked. My pet peeve is someone standing in the middle of the aisle holding up boarding trying to heave their oversize bag into the overhead bin with no concern for the rest of the people boarding or someone who is in violation of the one carry on rule running around the plane looking for bin space for all their junk.

Opposite here. I'm not checking my bag, not even if the airline would pay me to. The bag goes with me, I don't trust the airline with it. And for good reason! Airlines have proven not to be trustworthy with checked luggage, I'm not making that mistake again.

There is nothing illegal about bringing a bag to the gate as long as it fits the dimensions it's allowed to have. And believe it or not, all those carry-ons do. The producers of them know exactly what dimensions are allowed and they make their carry-ons those dimensions. I agree if the bag is too large there should be a penalty, but this is rarely the case.

Your pet peeve can easily be avoided by airlines by installing larger overhead bins. That way they only need to hold up the boarding for a second, it won't be any inconvenience at all. It's only an inconvenience if the overhead bins are too small (takes more time to put it away), which is the fault of the airline. Not the passenger. They have the right to bring their luggage on board, they have the right to put it in the overhead bins. Airlines should accommodate that right.

Jutlander

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:05 pm

vhtje wrote:

On some airlines (not all) bag check fees are cheaper if you pay them when booking the ticket instead of later on. But they're still significantly more expensive than taking a free carry-on on board.

£288 might not seem like a lot of money for you, but for a whole lot of people it is. They just don't have that much money laying around. But they too got the right to go on holiday. These people are on a narrow budget, but they can just afford to fly if they save on checked luggage. Who are you to say they shouldn't fly? The cost don't have to be factored into the total cost of the trip if they can be avoided.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:35 pm

Jutlander wrote:
Your pet peeve can easily be avoided by airlines by installing larger overhead bins. That way they only need to hold up the boarding for a second, it won't be any inconvenience at all. It's only an inconvenience if the overhead bins are too small (takes more time to put it away), which is the fault of the airline. Not the passenger. They have the right to bring their luggage on board, they have the right to put it in the overhead bins. Airlines should accommodate that right.

You don't have a "right" to bring your carry-on into the cabin. Airlines are free to set terms and conditions, and if you read the fine text, they probably do state that you may have to gate-check it if there is no more space. Some airlines have even begun charging for hand-luggage.

You can't just fit bigger overhead lockers on all planes. Even on those that can, it would require a significant overhaul of the cabin, which would have to be recovered through ticket prices.

Jutlander wrote:
£288 might not seem like a lot of money for you, but for a whole lot of people it is. They just don't have that much money laying around. But they too got the right to go on holiday. These people are on a narrow budget, but they can just afford to fly if they save on checked luggage. Who are you to say they shouldn't fly? The cost don't have to be factored into the total cost of the trip if they can be avoided.

There is no such thing as a "right" to go on holiday. Most countries give you the right to have a holiday, but no more than spending it in your own home.

Going out on that holiday is a freedom you have, if you can afford it. Flying is a luxury for those that can afford it.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Yflyer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Indeed. Back in the days before bag fees I still tried to travel only with a carry-on, because I was afraid if I checked my bag it would get lost and/or damaged. I remember there was some TV personality who did a travel segment on the Today Show who had a saying: "There are two kinds of bags: carry-on and lost." IIRC he even recommended shipping your luggage to destination via Fed Ex if it was too large to carry on, rather than trusting the airline with it.

Actually, my lack of trust in the airline to get my bag to my destination may have partly been due to my lack of experience flying then versus now. I am actually more willing to check my bag today than I was 15 years ago. I think having checked bags over the years because I had to, and seeing that they did in fact arrive unscathed, helped reassure me that my bags will be ok if I check them.

I’d gotten over the lost bag fear years ago when my bags didn’t show up and they just delivered it to the hotel. Slight inconvenience and there’s nothing in my bag that can’t be replaced. I’ve started, pre-COVID, to clay target shoots. I put a Tile in my gun cases, watch it move on-off the plane while I get seated. A friend found the Tile useful when his gun was “misplaced” behind a piling in the baggage claim garage.

FGITD

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 pm

The overwhelming majority of bags don’t get lost. They may get left behind, delayed a few hours or a day, but that’s not lost. When I worked with the baggage people, their loss rate (again, lost means untraceable/gone forever) was something like 1 bag per 10,000, and they considered that to be unacceptably high and continually worked on it.

The biggest problem with delayed bags is usually the passenger info when filling out the claim. Bag shows up, and when it comes time to deliver, the pax only wrote that they were staying at "Hilton Hotel, NYC" Good luck finding them.

And also no, the bag manufacturers don't adhere to the sizes. For one thing, they're all different by aircraft type, and sometimes even by airline. Not to mention, if every single pax brought a carry on that was within the size limit, in most carriers you'd run out of space after about 70% of them have boarded. They just simply aren't designed for that many.

Baggage discussions were something I always loved having with pax because it was very cut and dry. Your bag is either too big or it isn't, there's space left or there isn't, and your bag is either flying in the hold, or you aren't flying in the cabin.

Far too many sob stories of "oh pan am lost my bag once in 1985, so I'll never check a bag again!"

BubbleFrog

Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:48 pm

What bugs me more than all of that is when airlines simply don't enforce their rules. Set a limit (size or weight or number of items or all) for carry-ons and then enforce it. It annoys me to no end when I limit my own carry-on to fit the rules and then see what feels like the majority of passengers lug a carry-on trolley plus a massive rucksack plus a clothes bag on board, get stuck in the aisle and drop their stuff on people already seated.

If it's allowed to have that much with you -- fine. I can't complain then. But if there are rules, please enforce them. No matter what they are.
Absolute Relativist

ChrisKen

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:51 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
[
Ryanair is able to make 25 minute turnarounds as well, despite them being specifically known as an airline where people bring large carry-ons on board.

Ryanair don't allow 'large' carry-ons into their cabins. In fact their maximum allowed "cabin bag" is the smallest in Europe.

A standard cabin bag (maximum 56cm x 45cm x 25cm on the majority of UK/EU airlines) is more than enough for a week's worth of stuff. Most are un-restricted in weight.
Ryanair's must pay for cabin bag must be 55x40x20cm or less AND and less than 10kg. The free one is smaller still. https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... bag-policy

I believe the OP is referring to luggage in excess of a normal cabin bag size, which chancers are trying to get aboard as "cabin bags"; rather than check them in as we would have traditionally done. The airlines are to blame for that, as they "unbundle" everything, with often (seemingly) absurd charges, in the race to the bottom.
US airlines tend to be far more lax at ensuring pax are adhering to their luggage policies. Again partly due to the race to the bottom from the airlines and the self entitled public at large.

Kno

Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 am

Iloveboeing wrote:

You're amazed that people don't properly size their bags to suit the small size of regional jet bins? 99.9% of pax pay zero attention to what kind of plane they're going to fly and 9/10 people on those regional flights out of ATL connected from a mainline flight. These days mainline overhead bins are massive and flights are half full, why would anyone bother to check a bag, spend more time, money, and hassle when there is a surplus of extra space right above their heads on almost every flight?