Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Is Stopping & Seeing Victoria Falls Worth it?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Good morning, folks.

A fairly simple and straight forward question about a location we are considering visiting in the future. Please leave the 'rona hoax nonsense out of this; there are enough topics on that. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions on this.

On our next trip to South Africa, we are considering stopping for a night or two in Victoria Falls, well, to see the falls. We really love South Africa, which is why we are going back. So the question is, do you believe it's worth it to stop and spend a day seeing Victoria Falls?

While not 'hard' to get there, it would certainly add some complexity to our planned travel itinerary and we are trying to decide if it makes sense to check it off the bucket list or to just go on and spend those couple of nights in South Africa.

For those of you who have been, please share your thoughts and whether or not you believe it would be worth visiting.

Thank you again.

bfitzflyer

Re: Is Stopping & Seeing Victoria Falls Worth it?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:47 pm

I was there 13 years ago as part of a larger, South Africa/Botswana trip and the falls were amazing and there is a lot of activities to do around there, I think it is worth a couple days, you can go white water rafting, game sighting as well as the falls.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:51 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
I was there 13 years ago as part of a larger, South Africa/Botswana trip and the falls were amazing and there is a lot of activities to do around there, I think it is worth a couple days, you can go white water rafting, game sighting as well as the falls.

Thank you for that very much, sir. The game sighting would be a lot of fun.

How safe is the white water rafting? I have no clue how severe the rapids are along the river there.

Also, did you by chance take a dinner cruise on the river?

Sincerely,

eastafspot

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm

I've been there twice, in 2010 and 2014 - sadly at the same period (Feb-March). But yes I would definitely go back there as there are so many things to do and for different budgets.

On the other hand, if you fancy a "free" fly over the Victoria Falls, book a Kenya Airways 5fth freedom ticket CPT-VFA or LVI or reverse. The cockpit team has always informed pax and done this free scenic tour on my 6 flights on these sectors. More over they often do 2 tours to allow both sides of the plane to enjoy the falls.

I guess, it can save you time and money for other activities if you wish :smile:

Take a look my video (starting a 2:43) from a June 2019 trip:
https://youtu.be/uYVZJVmeRGo?t=160

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm

eastafspot wrote:
I've been there twice, in 2010 and 2014 - sadly at the same period (Feb-March). But yes I would definitely go back there as there are so many things to do and for different budgets.

On the other hand, if you fancy a "free" fly over the Victoria Falls, book a Kenya Airways 5fth freedom ticket CPT-VFA or LVI or reverse. The cockpit team has always informed pax and done this free scenic tour on my 6 flights on these sectors. More over they often do 2 tours to allow both sides of the plane to enjoy the falls.

I guess, it can save you time and money for other activities if you wish :smile:

Thank you for the great information. Our plan (if we go to Victoria Falls) is to fly Kenya Airways on the nonstop to CPT.
I'm pleased to hear there are many things to do. It sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to take up a day and a half (2 nights) seeing the falls, perhaps a dinner cruise, wildlife, etc.

My wife will be pleased to hear this information and I'd say based on what you've said, we'd lean towards going at this point. I won't be able to book flights for another ~8 months or so anyway, so it will give us plenty of time to fine tune things.

Much appreciated.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:53 pm

eastafspot wrote:

I noticed you said 'sadly' regarding the same time period. Is Mid-February through Early March not a good time to visit the falls?

aklrno

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:25 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Thank you for that very much, sir. The game sighting would be a lot of fun.

How safe is the white water rafting? I have no clue how severe the rapids are along the river there.

Also, did you by chance take a dinner cruise on the river?

Sincerely,

A bit of advice about white water rafting. Ask what the difficulty rating is. A one is like the "endless river" in a water park. Two is interesting but not usually at all scary. Three is very interesting, and may have a few moments of real excitement. There is a big jump at four. Count on real adventure, a bit of scary, and significant risk of being thrown out of the raft. Five is beyond my ability to describe. I was once on a 3.5 that turned into a 4.5 due to unexpected rain. I never want to do that again. At my age, 3 is now the absolute max I will try. If the people who run it tell you that it is an "easy" 3, check their age. If they are all under 25 add a point. If none of the guides have any grey hair, suspect that the older ones are all dead.

That being said, I would LOVE to go to Victoria Falls and try an honest 3 or less raft trip.

bfitzflyer

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:46 pm

I did a Helicopter over the falls which gave amazing perspective and then did a walk with lions which was a memorable experience to be up close with the big cats, but kind of regret it in the aftermath of the tiger king. I believe the rapids are pretty substantial depending on time of year. Also I think you can bungee jump on the bridge between Zim and Zam.

dredgy

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:46 am

Yes. We went in low season, when driving from South Africa to Malawi and back.

We did not do any rafting but did a river cruise, a private tour of the Devil's Pool and a helicopter flight. We stayed in Zimbabwe, but most of the things we did were based in Zambia.

Even with the falls low, they're fairly spectacular, and Devil's Pool is a must do to actually get close.

The river cruise was fun, but get the highest "first class" tier or whatever - it's not that much more expensive, the views are better as you get the roof of the boat, plus better food and alcohol. We got very drunk and the bartenders ended up taking us to a local bar afterwards. There isn't actually anything to see on the cruise - you just go back and forth on the same stretch of river and check out the wildlife and sunset, it's just an excuse for bottomless alcohol.

I didn't think the helicopter tour was worth it, it flew quite high and with the falls being quite low couldn't actually see much. I wish I'd done the Ultralight's instead.

If you're in the area, Botswana is a place. An extra day or two to see Chobe or even the Okavango would be worth it.

Now it's worth mentioning the "rona hoax" as you so moronically put it, because it's hit the area hard and with no tourists it has become less safe, I've had more than a few messages from people I met over there asking me to help them get out and one who lost his mother to the virus. It will rebound quickly I'm sure as it's necessary, but people are desperate for the basics on the Zimbabwean side at least. While I'd expect Zimbabwe and Zambia to allow US tourists out of desperation, I'd be less confident about South Africa which is completely ravaged and trying to contain it - our trip there in September next year was cancelled.

eastafspot

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:55 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

I noticed you said 'sadly' regarding the same time period. Is Mid-February through Early March not a good time to visit the falls?

The water level is still quite high so you have more mist. In case you like photos have a raincoat to protect your gears plus you won't see much on the ground inside the National Park in Zim. Don't get me wrong it's very spectacular and impressive but certainly not for the views.
Also, if you fancy a safari nearby, it's better to choose the dry season to spot more fauna near water holes.

On which side will you be based?

Other wise I concur with Dredgy about cruises, but it's a very unique moment to relax at sunset while sharing experiences with other travellers. And better to go on a "luxury" one.
On my initial post, activities nearby included day (or more) trip to Chobe indeed :smile:

eastafspot

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:07 pm

dredgy wrote:
I didn't think the helicopter tour was worth it, it flew quite high and with the falls being quite low couldn't actually see much. I wish I'd done the Ultralight's instead.

Problem with the ultralight is you can't take your own photos for safety reason, at the end they give ( or sell can't remember) you a DVD of everyone's tour over the Falls as there is a wing mounted camera that can snap selfie too IIRC. What about the Flight Of Angels?

Victoria Falls makes an ideal stop as half way through the journey Jo'burg to Lilongwe.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:38 pm

eastafspot wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
eastafspot wrote:

The water level is still quite high so you have more mist. In case you like photos have a raincoat to protect your gears plus you won't see much on the ground inside the National Park in Zim. Don't get me wrong it's very spectacular and impressive but certainly not for the views.
Also, if you fancy a safari nearby, it's better to choose the dry season to spot more fauna near water holes.

Other wise I concur with Dredgy about cruises, but it's a very unique moment to relax at sunset while sharing experiences with other travellers. And better to go on a "luxury" one.
On my initial post, activities nearby included day (or more) trip to Chobe indeed :smile:

Wonderful information. We are still open to which side we'll spend the nights on, but from reading, the Royal Livingstone seems like a solid option. I'd get the KAZA Visa so that we could travel back and forth between the two countries, plus day a day trip safari over to Chobe.

While I don't have the order down yet, I see it playing out something like:

Day 1: Arrive and spend the afternoon walking across the bridge and along the falls on the Zimbabwe wide before returning back to Zambia side to the hotel, where we can relax with some drinks, dinner and/or maybe a river cruise to top off the evening and so forth.

Day 2: Take the All-Day Safari over to Chobe, returning back to our hotel that evening.

Day 3: Depart for CPT from either Livingstone or Victoria Falls -- depending on which airport has the nonstop Kenya Airways flight to CPT that day.

So overall, 2 nights. Does an itinerary like the one I just listed seem feasible?

Thanks!

bfitzflyer

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:44 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Wonderful information. We are still open to which side we'll spend the nights on, but from reading, the Royal Livingstone seems like a solid option. I'd get the KAZA Visa so that we could travel back and forth between the two countries, plus day a day trip safari over to Chobe.

While I don't have the order down yet, I see it playing out something like:

Day 1: Arrive and spend the afternoon walking across the bridge and along the falls on the Zimbabwe wide before returning back to Zambia side to the hotel, where we can relax with some drinks, dinner and/or maybe a river cruise to top off the evening and so forth.

Day 2: Take the All-Day Safari over to Chobe, returning back to our hotel that evening.

Day 3: Depart for CPT from either Livingstone or Victoria Falls -- depending on which airport has the nonstop Kenya Airways flight to CPT that day.

So overall, 2 nights. Does an itinerary like the one I just listed seem feasible?

Thanks!

Definitely doable, not sure what the VISA requirements are but I know when I went, there was a VISA requirement to enter Zim from Zam for US citizens.

777luver

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Absolutely worth it it’s incredible

LTEN11

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Vic Falls is absolutely worth doing, we were suppose to go in April, postponed indefinitely now. Do the day trip to Chobe, I did it many years ago and it was a fantastic day, so many elephants. Our tour truck in Chobe, yes it was an old truck converted, was mock charged by a mother with her calf close by, was a bit hard to tell how far away she was through the video camera, but the sense of people moving back in their seats gave me an idea she was close. The highlight was a pride of lions mostly sleeping under some trees, no more than 20 feet away.

Try and do a flight over the falls, when I was there, there was a float plane doing it and it was a lot of fun, mostly helicopters now. I had the front seat and was designated with hippo spotting on take off and landing :D . If you cross the bridge you will need a visa and the day trip to Chobe will most likely involve passing through Zimbabwe as well, so make sure you get a multi entry visa for both Zambia and Zimbabwe.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Thank you both 777luver and LTEN100.

I appreciate your insights and feedback.

We would certainly secure a KAZA Univisa prior to arrival so that we could transfer freely between Zimbabwe and Zambia; additionally, we would take a day trip over to Chobe, which that visa would allow for.

Thanks to everyone's feedback, we'll definitely stop there on our way down to Cape Town. We are really looking forward to it.

Question: Is it best to use US Currency when in Zambia or Zimbabwe or get some local currency before we go/upon arrival?

Sincerely,

LTEN11

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:57 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:

We would certainly secure a KAZA Univisa prior to arrival so that we could transfer freely between Zimbabwe and Zambia; additionally, we would take a day trip over to Chobe, which that visa would allow for.

Thanks to everyone's feedback, we'll definitely stop there on our way down to Cape Town. We are really looking forward to it.

Question: Is it best to use US Currency when in Zambia or Zimbabwe or get some local currency before we go/upon arrival?

Sincerely,

Get a small amount of local currency, otherwise USD are the currency of choice. Zimbabwe is desperate for hard currency, not sure about Zambia, but most likely a similar situation.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:09 am

LTEN11 wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

Sincerely,

Get a small amount of local currency, otherwise USD are the currency of choice. Zimbabwe is desperate for hard currency, not sure about Zambia, but most likely a similar situation.

Thank you for that. I will do that. I was looking on the website I typically get foreign currency from before I take trips and they have NO Zimbabwe currency (at least for now). I won't need it for about 18 months, but I'll probably order my South African Rand in the next few months and stash it away. If I can't find any before I leave, I'll get some on arrival into Zambia/Zimbabwe.

Muchos Gracias.