Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Pottok
Topic Author
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:24 am

Hello,


What was the registrations of the DC 10-10 who have a 3 class configuration ?



Thank you very much for a response
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8871
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pm

There can’t have been many, as the DC-10 only had the range for domestic and Caribbean flying, so just domestic first and coach would have done the trick
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
amc737
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:34 pm

American used 3 DC-10-10's on Boston-Heathrow in the early 1990's, N117AA, N125AA & N166AA, I believe informally they where known as DC-10-10ERs and had a higher take off weight - i assume you mean these 3?

amc737
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4880
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Blimey I'd forgotten about thah completely!
They also had two different configs in their small DC10-30 fleet as well.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 pm

cedarjet wrote:
There can’t have been many, as the DC-10 only had the range for domestic and Caribbean flying, so just domestic first and coach would have done the trick


AA had a sub-fleet of DC-10-10's with a 3-class F/J/Y config. specifically for premium ("American Flagship Service") trans-con markets like JFK-LAX/SFO and they also ran them on IAD-LAX which I know from personal experience having flown on one; I don't know if there were any other such "premium" markets they used them for. But the bulk of their -10's were in their "standard domestic config." which was only F/Y. (There was a Hawaii/Caribbean config. too, but they were still F/Y, just with less F seats than the standard config., IIRC; so that made 3 different configs. for the -10 fleet.)
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:34 pm

amc737 wrote:
American used 3 DC-10-10's on Boston-Heathrow in the early 1990's, N117AA, N125AA & N166AA, I believe informally they where known as DC-10-10ERs and had a higher take off weight - i assume you mean these 3?

amc737


Damn, I didn't know that. Wow. Well I can only presume they must have been part of the "premium" trans-con. sub-fleet I just talked about in my reply above, but with a further mod of a higher MTOW.
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:53 pm

AA flew one of the DC10-10 (ER) versions with 3 class F/J/Y on JFK-ORY in the early 1990s. These were the same DC10's used on many JFK-LAX transcons. JFK-SFO operated mainly on the 767-200 ER by then, but there was DC10s thrown into the schedule as well.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25003
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:47 pm

3 class DC-10-10 as of 1994

102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 166, 167, 168
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2407
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:24 pm

They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Pottok
Topic Author
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:46 pm

LAXintl wrote:
3 class DC-10-10 as of 1994

102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 166, 167, 168


Thank you, but these fleet number correspont to wich registration ?


Thank you
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2442
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm

did any of the -'10s operate to Hawaii from non-West Coast hubs i.e. DFW and ORD?
 
N649DL
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.


I think there was even a time in Summer / Fall 1999 where they were even flying them on EWR-LAX as well.
 
DFW17L
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:11 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
did any of the -'10s operate to Hawaii from non-West Coast hubs i.e. DFW and ORD?


Everytime I did DFW-HNL in the 90s, it was always a two-class bird.
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:22 pm

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.


My flight was in 98 and I honestly don't recall if they continued into 99 or 2000...

IAD LAX AA 143P 02MAR98 DC-10-10 N127AA
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Pottok wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
3 class DC-10-10 as of 1994

102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 166, 167, 168


Thank you, but these fleet number correspont to wich registration ?


Thank you


With the DC-10 fleet, at least the -10's, the fleet # was the same as the registration, so as I just posted above and repeating for convenience here the flight I mentioned, N127AA was fleet #127...

IAD LAX AA 143P 02MAR98 DC-10-10 N127AA
Try a Little VC-10derness
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2407
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:27 pm

N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.


I think there was even a time in Summer / Fall 1999 where they were even flying them on EWR-LAX as well.

OAG schedule shows AA running EWR-LAX with 757s only, 3 times daily in July 1999. Don’t know about the Fall.

IAD-LAX was 1x 738, 1x 757, 2xD10/762 (rotated equipment based on day).

Fascinating to see how much capacity they once had in the market.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
ManoaChris
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:39 pm

USAirALB wrote:
IAD-LAX was 1x 738, 1x 757, 2xD10/762 (rotated equipment based on day).

Fascinating to see how much capacity they once had in the market.


No shortage of 2000-2001 industry changes, but DCA perimeter exemptions especially impacted IAD.
 
LAOCA
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 pm

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.


And it continued to SAN. Flights 75/76. When then tuned into a 762 for a while.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 pm

N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.



I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
AA flew one of the DC10-10 (ER) versions with 3 class F/J/Y on JFK-ORY in the early 1990s. These were the same DC10's used on many JFK-LAX transcons. JFK-SFO operated mainly on the 767-200 ER by then, but there was DC10s thrown into the schedule as well.


The DC-10s used on JFK-ORY in that time period were all DC-10-30s. They were very different from the 3-class -10s used on the transcons. The DC-10-30 had all galleys on the main deck, there were three of them for each cabin. The first class galley was particularly small and cramped, and it was a hectic place for the 4 flight attendants to be during the service. The configuration of the-30 was 22F/56J/148Y. The -30 was used for the first year of service on JFK-ORY in 1987, before it was replaced by the 3-class 767-300ER in 1988.

In 1992, the 763 was replaced by the MD-11 for about 6 months, and then the 10-30 came back to the route for about 11 months, at which time the route went back to the 763.

I was not a fan of the DC-10-30, the DC-10-10 with the lower lobe galley was much better to work as a flight attendant.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
AA flew one of the DC10-10 (ER) versions with 3 class F/J/Y on JFK-ORY in the early 1990s. These were the same DC10's used on many JFK-LAX transcons. JFK-SFO operated mainly on the 767-200 ER by then, but there was DC10s thrown into the schedule as well.


The DC-10s used on JFK-ORY in that time period were all DC-10-30s. They were very different from the 3-class -10s used on the transcons. The DC-10-30 had all galleys on the main deck, there were three of them for each cabin. The first class galley was particularly small and cramped, and it was a hectic place for the 4 flight attendants to be during the service. The configuration of the-30 was 22F/56J/148Y. The -30 was used for the first year of service on JFK-ORY in 1987, before it was replaced by the 3-class 767-300ER in 1988.

In 1992, the 763 was replaced by the MD-11 for about 6 months, and then the 10-30 came back to the route for about 11 months, at which time the route went back to the 763.

I was not a fan of the DC-10-30, the DC-10-10 with the lower lobe galley was much better to work as a flight attendant.


Thanks for the clarification. I recall the MD11 was briefly operating JFK-ORY and I was a student at the time, heading to Europe for a semester abroad and wanted to fly the AA MD11 as it was essentially a new plane at the time. When the flight was switched to the DC10-30, I ended up flying another airline as my family didn't want me on a DC10. This was October 1992. You are right, it reverted the 763 (AA 44/45). I flew it in September 1995 and by then, it was back to the 763. Always appreciate your deep knowledge of AA's JFK ops, particularly from back then.
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:25 am

The MD-11 was a fun plane to work, and the initial Pacific version that AA used in all markets including transatlantic, was so modern at the time. There was an LED indicator in the galleys that showed the flight attendants the seat number of where a call light went off. On the right hand side of business class behind the 2R door were four business class seats that were curtained off for flight attendant crew rest, a big deal for us at the time. The only problem was that it was very unreliable, and we nicknamed it the “MD-Lemon.” The Chicago-based FAs called it the Scud, after the poorly designed missiles used by Iraq in the Persian Gulf War, because you never knew where you would land. The other joke was that the company was going to paint the MD-11s blue, so they’d match the ground equipment.

The DC-10-10 3-class was also used from time to time on JFK-SJU turnarounds, presumably to keep them flying rather than having them sit on the ground at JFK. Business was sold as coach, and it was a big downsize in the number of seats sold on the 3-class compared to the 290-seat 2-class usually used on JFK-SJU. I remember the 2-class DC-10-10s were 34F/256Y. I can’t remember what the exact configuration of the 3-class -10 was, I rarely worked aboard that plane.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:19 am

travelsonic wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.



I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )


That's a good thread. One of the best I've witnessed on this forum.

I did a query for AA flying EWR-LAX and I found this: viewtopic.php?t=18097

AA was indeed flying LAX-EWR on the D10 in DEC 1999 and then became a 757. For whatever reason, they temporarily brought it back on the route before retirement on the entire fleet. However, this shouldn't be terribly surprising as AA flipped 757s easily with short notice on EWR-LAX in favor of 762s for much of the 2000s. I remember flying MCO-MIA-EWR (I was broke, I sat in F, and it was free and burned 25K miles one way on short notice) using miles after I graduated college in June 2009 and there was indeed an AA 762 sitting at EWR doing the LAX turn. AA on EWR-LAX turned into a permanent 738 after that and was dropped when they merged with US (in favor of connecting folks via PHX.)
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:30 am

NYCAAer wrote:
The MD-11 was a fun plane to work, and the initial Pacific version that AA used in all markets including transatlantic, was so modern at the time. There was an LED indicator in the galleys that showed the flight attendants the seat number of where a call light went off. On the right hand side of business class behind the 2R door were four business class seats that were curtained off for flight attendant crew rest, a big deal for us at the time. The only problem was that it was very unreliable, and we nicknamed it the “MD-Lemon.” The Chicago-based FAs called it the Scud, after the poorly designed missiles used by Iraq in the Persian Gulf War, because you never knew where you would land. The other joke was that the company was going to paint the MD-11s blue, so they’d match the ground equipment.

The DC-10-10 3-class was also used from time to time on JFK-SJU turnarounds, presumably to keep them flying rather than having them sit on the ground at JFK. Business was sold as coach, and it was a big downsize in the number of seats sold on the 3-class compared to the 290-seat 2-class usually used on JFK-SJU. I remember the 2-class DC-10-10s were 34F/256Y. I can’t remember what the exact configuration of the 3-class -10 was, I rarely worked aboard that plane.


By 1994, wasn't the JFK-LHR service entirely MD11 and 763? I recall seeing a large number of MD11 tails at the old AA terminal and from what I recall, it was mostly, if not all, LHR service with the latest departure on AA of the day (I think at the time it was AA 140) a 763 (as well as one of the morning departures....there were two at one point...an 8:30am and a 9:30am).
 
amc737
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:33 pm

Yes, in 1994 JFK-LHR was 6 daily, AA100, AA104 & AA106 where MD11's, AA116, AA132 & AA140 767-300's. AA106 was a day flight. No EWR at that point but American did fly to Philadelphia. The only other MD11 service was AA86 from ORD.

amc737
 
codc10
Posts: 2935
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:08 pm

N649DL wrote:
travelsonic wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.




I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )


That's a good thread. One of the best I've witnessed on this forum.

I did a query for AA flying EWR-LAX and I found this: viewtopic.php?t=18097

AA was indeed flying LAX-EWR on the D10 in DEC 1999 and then became a 757. For whatever reason, they temporarily brought it back on the route before retirement on the entire fleet. However, this shouldn't be terribly surprising as AA flipped 757s easily with short notice on EWR-LAX in favor of 762s for much of the 2000s. I remember flying MCO-MIA-EWR (I was broke, I sat in F, and it was free and burned 25K miles one way on short notice) using miles after I graduated college in June 2009 and there was indeed an AA 762 sitting at EWR doing the LAX turn. AA on EWR-LAX turned into a permanent 738 after that and was dropped when they merged with US (in favor of connecting folks via PHX.)


EWR-LAX (evening flight) flew as a DC-10 during the Thanksgiving rush in 1999 and reverted to 757 by the December schedule. Prior to that, in the 90s, EWR-LAX flew with DC-10s on a somewhat regular basis, but mostly 757s, and even A300s from time to time.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm

codc10 wrote:
N649DL wrote:
travelsonic wrote:

I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )


That's a good thread. One of the best I've witnessed on this forum.

I did a query for AA flying EWR-LAX and I found this: viewtopic.php?t=18097

AA was indeed flying LAX-EWR on the D10 in DEC 1999 and then became a 757. For whatever reason, they temporarily brought it back on the route before retirement on the entire fleet. However, this shouldn't be terribly surprising as AA flipped 757s easily with short notice on EWR-LAX in favor of 762s for much of the 2000s. I remember flying MCO-MIA-EWR (I was broke, I sat in F, and it was free and burned 25K miles one way on short notice) using miles after I graduated college in June 2009 and there was indeed an AA 762 sitting at EWR doing the LAX turn. AA on EWR-LAX turned into a permanent 738 after that and was dropped when they merged with US (in favor of connecting folks via PHX.)


EWR-LAX (evening flight) flew as a DC-10 during the Thanksgiving rush in 1999 and reverted to 757 by the December schedule. Prior to that, in the 90s, EWR-LAX flew with DC-10s on a somewhat regular basis, but mostly 757s, and even A300s from time to time.


AA A300's were very rare outside of the East Coast. From what I recall, they were not in regular service at DFW, ORD, or LAX. The EWR-LAX on the A300 you are referring to may have been a way to operate the EWR-LHR route, which for a time, was on the A300. The AA A300 was concentrated at JFK and MIA and used primarily to the Caribbean, Northern Latin America and between JFK and MIA/SJU. As has been pointed out on another thread on the forum, a few AB6's were used on JFK to LHR/ORY and BOS to LHR/ORY between 1997 and 2002.
 
codc10
Posts: 2935
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
codc10 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

That's a good thread. One of the best I've witnessed on this forum.

I did a query for AA flying EWR-LAX and I found this: viewtopic.php?t=18097

AA was indeed flying LAX-EWR on the D10 in DEC 1999 and then became a 757. For whatever reason, they temporarily brought it back on the route before retirement on the entire fleet. However, this shouldn't be terribly surprising as AA flipped 757s easily with short notice on EWR-LAX in favor of 762s for much of the 2000s. I remember flying MCO-MIA-EWR (I was broke, I sat in F, and it was free and burned 25K miles one way on short notice) using miles after I graduated college in June 2009 and there was indeed an AA 762 sitting at EWR doing the LAX turn. AA on EWR-LAX turned into a permanent 738 after that and was dropped when they merged with US (in favor of connecting folks via PHX.)


EWR-LAX (evening flight) flew as a DC-10 during the Thanksgiving rush in 1999 and reverted to 757 by the December schedule. Prior to that, in the 90s, EWR-LAX flew with DC-10s on a somewhat regular basis, but mostly 757s, and even A300s from time to time.


AA A300's were very rare outside of the East Coast. From what I recall, they were not in regular service at DFW, ORD, or LAX. The EWR-LAX on the A300 you are referring to may have been a way to operate the EWR-LHR route, which for a time, was on the A300. The AA A300 was concentrated at JFK and MIA and used primarily to the Caribbean, Northern Latin America and between JFK and MIA/SJU. As has been pointed out on another thread on the forum, a few AB6's were used on JFK to LHR/ORY and BOS to LHR/ORY between 1997 and 2002.


Yes, it was never in regular service, but you can find a number of one-off A300s on EWR-LAX through the 90s on the BTS site. EWR-SJU was a longtime AB6 route, too.
 
LHUSA
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:14 pm

cedarjet wrote:
There can’t have been many, as the DC-10 only had the range for domestic and Caribbean flying, so just domestic first and coach would have done the trick


I'm confused. The McCallister's flew a DC-10 from ORD-CDG in Home Alone - daylight flight too!
 
AAIL86
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 am

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
codc10 wrote:
N649DL wrote:

AA A300's were very rare outside of the East Coast. From what I recall, they were not in regular service at DFW, ORD, or LAX.
time.


I worked for AA at DFW the entire decade of the 2000s and can confirm this is true, the gates were not even striped for the A300’s.

DFW saw both 2 and 3 class DC-10’s to the bitter end around late 2000, while the MD-11 was withdrawn around early 2002.
Ironic that the MD-11’s only outlasted the DC-10’s by ~18 months... although given their terrible dispatch reliability no surprise American’s top brass was in a hurry to divest them.

Both the DC-10’s and MD-11’s had unbelievably roomy cabins by today’s standards, even if the premium cabin seats did not have the amount of privacy /bells+whistles we see today...
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:42 pm

codc10 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

EWR-LAX (evening flight) flew as a DC-10 during the Thanksgiving rush in 1999 and reverted to 757 by the December schedule. Prior to that, in the 90s, EWR-LAX flew with DC-10s on a somewhat regular basis, but mostly 757s, and even A300s from time to time.


AA A300's were very rare outside of the East Coast. From what I recall, they were not in regular service at DFW, ORD, or LAX. The EWR-LAX on the A300 you are referring to may have been a way to operate the EWR-LHR route, which for a time, was on the A300. The AA A300 was concentrated at JFK and MIA and used primarily to the Caribbean, Northern Latin America and between JFK and MIA/SJU. As has been pointed out on another thread on the forum, a few AB6's were used on JFK to LHR/ORY and BOS to LHR/ORY between 1997 and 2002.


Yes, it was never in regular service, but you can find a number of one-off A300s on EWR-LAX through the 90s on the BTS site. EWR-SJU was a longtime AB6 route, too.


Indeed, I forgot about SJU and EWR-SJU was a trunk route for AA at the time as well. The A300 was seen as the perfect aircraft for Caribbean ops at the time, as it could carry large cargo loads along with a full complement of passengers. AA had a hub in SJU at the time and it was an extensive one as well. Quite a few flights transited through SJU on the A300 to other destinations across the Caribbean, Central, and South America.
 
N649DL
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:56 pm

codc10 wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
codc10 wrote:

EWR-LAX (evening flight) flew as a DC-10 during the Thanksgiving rush in 1999 and reverted to 757 by the December schedule. Prior to that, in the 90s, EWR-LAX flew with DC-10s on a somewhat regular basis, but mostly 757s, and even A300s from time to time.


AA A300's were very rare outside of the East Coast. From what I recall, they were not in regular service at DFW, ORD, or LAX. The EWR-LAX on the A300 you are referring to may have been a way to operate the EWR-LHR route, which for a time, was on the A300. The AA A300 was concentrated at JFK and MIA and used primarily to the Caribbean, Northern Latin America and between JFK and MIA/SJU. As has been pointed out on another thread on the forum, a few AB6's were used on JFK to LHR/ORY and BOS to LHR/ORY between 1997 and 2002.


Yes, it was never in regular service, but you can find a number of one-off A300s on EWR-LAX through the 90s on the BTS site. EWR-SJU was a longtime AB6 route, too.


That had to be it. I remember my town in NJ was located under one of the common holding patterns into EWR (Bernards Township, NJ). I was in 7th grade in 1999 and remember skateboarding a few weeks before Thanksgiving at one of the elementary schools on a clear day and looking up at the sky and seeing an AA D10 do a hold into EWR thinking it seemed really odd for it to be doing that. That had to be LAX-EWR as I could almost time the hold on AA flying the route into EWR (flying over the high school) in the afternoon during winter and spring track seasons in high school a few years later and it was always a 757 or 762 (occasionally 763)

Is that really true that AA flew one off EWR-LAX flights on A300s? I definitely flew EWR-MIA on a morning A300 in February 1999 connecting to AUA on another A300 and another time in November 2003 on MIA-EWR. They seemed like regular visitors to EWR from SJU and MIA. MIA-EWR was also served by 763 on occasion in the late 1990s and didn't even the M11 make an appearance on LAX-EWR at one point?

When the AA A300s were being on-boarded in the early 1990s they definitely did some weird routes before they were entirely based on the East Coast. EG: ORD-LAS/LAX.
 
singhharry12
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:14 am

I was not a fan of the DC-10-30, the DC-10-10 with the lower lobe galley was much better to work as a flight attendant.
9apps [ur=https://cartoonhd.onll]cartoonhd[/url]
 
wernerga3
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:56 am

travelsonic wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.

USAirALB wrote:
They were still using the 3-class DC-10 on IAD-LAX IIRC up until 1999/2000.



I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )


Not at first, but they did get them in time. Same for the 762er

Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: American Airlines DC 10-10 3 class

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:14 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
travelsonic wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Weren't these the variants of the D10 that had tape-based PTVs in the F cabin? I think they also flew MIA-LAX.




I'd imagine any variation with the Weber 7502s (AkA "Woolly Mammoths" when it came to American's 7502s) in F and / or J would have had the tape players - not 110% sure though.

(There is a thread dedicated to the history and variations of the AA cabins from 1983 to 2000-2001 or so that is fun for cabin geeks like me :P )


Not at first, but they did get them in time. Same for the 762er

Image
Image
Image


Thanks for these pics, brings back a VERY fond memory of what was a fabulous flight (which is the one I posted earlier), those seats were wonderful (I was in 3J...and never knew till now they were known as "woolly mammoths" LOL); then with it being "American Flagship Service", oh my...the caviar cart...chateaubriand carved on the cart, seat-side...those were the days.

And I remember that the IFE consisted of a portable DVD player handed out by the FA's, BTW, since it was mentioned/asked earlier.
Try a Little VC-10derness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bfitzflyer and 27 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos