Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

TSA PreCheck and Global Entry Still Business as Usual?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Flying tomorrow for the first time since February. Will be on Southwest out of DAL.   Is it business as usual as far as TSA PreCheck being open and such?

On the return, is it business as usual clearing immigration and customs with Global Entry? *Will be touching down in DEN coming back from our international trip. 

Also, are restaurants and coffee joints open at airports like DAL, HOU and DEN? *Will be transiting through all of these.

​​​​​​​Thanks!

*P.S. If this should be in Polls/Preferences, please move it there. I wasn't sure.
Whatever

aklrno

Re: TSA PreCheck and Global Entry Still Business as Usual?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 pm

I've only flown a few time recently but each time there were changes to pre-check in RNO and LAS. The pre-check lines were closed. The regular lines were mercifully short so not much delay. The problem is that pre-check customers have different security protocols. In all cases I was given a card or piece of paper showing my pre-check status. I didn't have to remove shoes and belt and was passed thru a magnetometer rather than the non pre-check scanner. The downside is that since they can't tell whose baggage is going through the x-ray scanner I had to remove my liquids bag and iPad from my carryon . All in all no big deal, but regular pre-check is better.

LAX still had normal pre-check.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Flying out of DAL was painless. TSA PreCheck open and zipped right through.

Finding a parking spot though? That proved to be the much larger and unanticipated challenge. Parked about as far away from the terminal as you can get.

I know it’s Labor Day weekend, but I figured we would just whip right in and it would be practically empty. I was wrong.
Whatever

vegasplanes

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:00 pm

In my experience, DTW, LAS and SAN have all operated as normal. Only noticeable difference is Plexiglass installed in front of the TSA Agent and they ask you to pull your mask down to identify you.

Little to no lines for me in all 3 airports Pre-Check lines. At LAS the Regular Line seems busy, I'm assuming most flying nowadays are not "regulars" and therefore lack Pre-Check.

e38

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:44 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Topic Author), "are restaurants and coffee joints open at airports like DAL, HOU and DEN? *Will be transiting through all of these."

FriscoHeavy, since your trip has already started, you've probably already discovered which restaurants/coffee shops are open at the airports you have mentioned. But for others reading this thread, I have found the answer is "it depends, and there seems to be very little consistency among various chain restaurants/coffee shops." At most major airports, yes, there are restaurants, bars, and coffee shops open; but many of them in the terminals and along the concourses remain closed. For example:

Starbucks is open in PHX (well, in Terminal Three, one is open; one remains closed), but the Starbucks in PIT is closed. Also, at DCA, some of the Starbucks are open; others remain closed.

Dunkin Donuts is open at MSP, but closed at BWI (Concourse D). Also at DCA, Dunkin Donuts is open (entrance to Gates 10-22) but closed at the entrance to Gates 1-9.

McDonalds seems to be open at most major airports I've been through recently.

and some places seem to have very unusual hours: recently at DTW I thought I would just grab a sandwich at Subway to take aboard my flight--discovered the Subway store closed at 5:30 p.m. Wouldn't that be prime time for a food company to do a lot of business for dinner?

When it comes to something more substantive than coffee shops or fast foods, most major airports seem to have one or more "sit down" restaurants that are open again, i.e. Chili's at MSP.

I have found when it comes to finding places to eat, sometimes it can be "hit or miss" and occasionally you cannot be choosy.

e38

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:05 am

e38 wrote:
Quoting FriscoHeavy (Topic Author), "are restaurants and coffee joints open at airports like DAL, HOU and DEN? *Will be transiting through all of these."

FriscoHeavy, since your trip has already started, you've probably already discovered which restaurants/coffee shops are open at the airports you have mentioned. But for others reading this thread, I have found the answer is "it depends, and there seems to be very little consistency among various chain restaurants/coffee shops." At most major airports, yes, there are restaurants, bars, and coffee shops open; but many of them in the terminals and along the concourses remain closed. For example:

Starbucks is open in PHX (well, in Terminal Three, one is open; one remains closed), but the Starbucks in PIT is closed. Also, at DCA, some of the Starbucks are open; others remain closed.

Dunkin Donuts is open at MSP, but closed at BWI (Concourse D). Also at DCA, Dunkin Donuts is open (entrance to Gates 10-22) but closed at the entrance to Gates 1-9.

McDonalds seems to be open at most major airports I've been through recently.

and some places seem to have very unusual hours: recently at DTW I thought I would just grab a sandwich at Subway to take aboard my flight--discovered the Subway store closed at 5:30 p.m. Wouldn't that be prime time for a food company to do a lot of business for dinner?

When it comes to something more substantive than coffee shops or fast foods, most major airports seem to have one or more "sit down" restaurants that are open again, i.e. Chili's at MSP.

I have found when it comes to finding places to eat, sometimes it can be "hit or miss" and occasionally you cannot be choosy.

e38

You are spot on with my observations as well. Starbucks, Peet’s Coffee, Whataburger, Chick-fil-A were all open at DAL/HOU. It’s provided everything we’ve needed so far.

I like Southwest a lot, but I’ve been disappointed in their service (the absence of it) on the two legs so far. I know there are other things to complain about, but you can still serve drinks. It bothers me that they are hiding behind the veil of ‘safety’, but will pass out water when it’s convenient...I digress. :)
Whatever