Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LostLuggage
Topic Author

BA Club Europe upgrade - outbound or inbound?

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Next month (touch wood) I'll be flying LHR-IST-LHR with BA thanks to their current fire sale fares. I now have the chance to upgrade either - or both - of the legs to Club Europe for ~£70 each. I haven't ever flown intra-European in J and never considered doing so either, but was wondering what members on here reckon of the offer. It's an A319 both ways and I don't need checked luggage. I'm expecting very little in terms of onboard product given current circumstances, but which of the lounges might be worth a visit at the moment? Any experience on how either are operating under current restrictions?

For context, I'll have 3.5 hours at LHR before flying out but also only an hour between arrival and my coach home on return. Is IST immigration slow at the moment? Any other perks I might have overlooked?

Cheers!

n729pa

Re: BA Club Europe upgrade - outbound or inbound?

Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Personally for a 3.5 hour flight it is probably worth doing it both ways if you can afford and if you think it value compared to the price you have already paid. I would do it, but then I'm a OW FF so would benefit from the extra points.

You're get a hot meal, drinks, spare seat in the middle of three. I personally haven't flown since the start of all this, so I'm not up on any specific changes but for a long Europe flight like IST, then I think it's worth it. If you were talking of BRU or GVA for example, then I'd say not. You'll get pre-boarding, free seat selection, lounge access, plus security fast lane too at LHR (assuming that remains unchanged). If there are less flights flying at the moment, you could expect Y to be rather full. You'll set a bit more room up front.

Good luck

OA260

Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:12 am

£70 is a pretty good upgrade for IST. If it was me I would upgrade both ways.

VSMUT

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:47 pm

What are current BA catering and lounge facilities like around the world during the shutdown? You might want to look that up first. There was a period where Lufthansa and KLM had closed all lounges and stopped or cut back catering almost completely. Fast-track at security, well if it is even open, why bother, there aren't that many passengers in the first place. Boarding is often done with the aft cabin first etc.

If it was during normal times I would seriously consider it, but it would be a rip-off if all they provide vs economy is an empty middle seat. Perhaps there's a reason why they are flogging them for so cheap.

(and don't forget, you can almost always find a lounge that will accept you for much less than £70, if that's all you want)

PI4EVR

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Review the information on the BA website by clicking Discover and Travel Classes. It lists meal service in Club Europe is a boxed cold meal and bar service is available served in minature size bottles.
Lounges are open with food and bar service, and operating hours are listed.

LostLuggage
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:09 am

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. From what I can tell the T5 Galleries lounges are open and operating table service, and the onboard service has been watered down to a boxed cold meal as stated above. Fast-track lanes don't seem to be open and boarding is now done rear-first, which is better for maximising lounge time I guess. So far I've found nothing on the current state of the IGA Lounge in IST other than 'limited service'.

It's a good offer, but doubtless reflective of current J demand and service levels. I'll dig some more for up-to-date info.

LX138

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:41 pm

I would do it, was actually going to do IST myself next month too. You would at least be guaranteed social distancing between you the person next to you, and you have access to the open lounges at LHR, which for your early arrival before the flight make sense. Coming back I've yet to establish which lounge BA use at IST so not sure of the value coming back.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

LostLuggage
Topic Author

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:28 pm

LX138 wrote:
I would do it, was actually going to do IST myself next month too. You would at least be guaranteed social distancing between you the person next to you, and you have access to the open lounges at LHR, which for your early arrival before the flight make sense. Coming back I've yet to establish which lounge BA use at IST so not sure of the value coming back.

Not many quarantine-free choices are there!

Seems BA contract the IGA lounge at IST which I can only find pre-covid information on, and even then there were some less-than-glowing reviews about admittance for BA pax. Sadly my outbound just got switched from an A319 to an A320N, so no middle seat table any more either.

BubbleFrog

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:45 am

If you can only have one, I would go for the inbound one. Always nice to end the trip on a high -- although I didn't consider lounge services until the others here mentioned it.

If you can have both, go for it.
Absolute Relativist