Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Going out of your way to fly a special type

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:59 pm

As a passenger, how much do you bend your plans or open your wallet to be on board a unique aircraft? Maybe you could fly home at 6 pm but you find something to do and depart at 11 pm instead to get on a domestic 777 instead of a 737. Maybe there's a direct flight that's also cheaper and faster but if you connect through a certain airport, you can fly a particular type one last time before it's retired.

How often do you do things like this and how awkward is it to explain to people if they ask?

Coal

Re: Going out of your way to fly a special type

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am

I once had to go from SIN to MEL and return, but I changed the return to be from SYD (and paid for MEL-SYD on QF separately) to fly the SQ A380 in J on its first week in service.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

IPFreely

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:43 am

Gillbilly wrote:
How often do you do things like this and how awkward is it to explain to people if they ask?

Never. I've experienced too many flight delays, cancellations, missed connections, and equipment changes to give up hours or a whole day to fly on a specific plane. There's no guarantee you'll get on the plane as planned. And if you do, outside of a few special events like the last 747 flights, at the end of the day it's just a ride on a tube-shaped bus.

dredgy

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 am

I will go out of my way to fly airlines I've not flown before, but less so just for airline types. I will look at the plane types of all the possible flights that meet my schedule and pick my favourite. Since I usually fly business class, there is often product differentiation. So in the case of a domestic narrowbody or widebody, if the flight is long enough and I'm going to get a bed on the widebody, I'll work around that.

I wanted to fly an A340 before they went (particularly a -600 but any would do) so on a recent trip to Africa I booked PER-MRU, MRU-TNR, MRU-JNB and JNB-PER - all scheduled on A340s at the time of booking. Only one flight (JNB-PER) actually operated an A340. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it just based on the odds of equipment swap. My first A380 was swapped out as well.

VSMUT

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:21 am

If presented with 2 options, I will take whatever is most interesting. 24 hours plus or minus on departure time doesn't bother me. That said, seat and onboard product (I typically travel in business class) plays a role. As much as I want to fly on a 747, when presented with the choice between Singapore Airlines on a 777-300ER vs a Lufthansa 747, I would take Singapore any day of the week, regardless of how boring I find the 777-300ER.

TheEuphorian

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 pm

I almost got to fly on one of NH's 767-300(non-ER variant) between HND-HKD, but instead,I chose to ride on the Shinkansen, and I was still disappointed in that decision.

e38

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Quoting topic, "Going out of your way to fly a special type."

Yes, of course I have done this, quite a few times, and every time I travel I investigate the possibility of doing it again.

Not only special types but I do this on three fronts:

- Aircraft
- Airlines
- Airports

Every time I travel I look to see if alternate routings will allow me to fly an airline I have not previously flown (or not flown in quite a while), an aircraft type I have not previously been on, or an airport that I have not been to . . . or a combination of all three, even if it requires making a connection.

Quoting Gillbilly (Topic author), " . . . depart at 11 pm instead to get on a domestic 777 instead of a 737."

yes, I have done that!

e38

IAHFLYR

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:05 pm

While not something I would normally do, I've flown AA from IAH-DFW-ORD rather than IAH-ORD just to fly on one of the last Super 80's I though I'd probably be able to ride. Then a few months later found myself booking DL from IAH-ATL-RSW rather than the usual UA IAH-RSW non-stop just to ride on an MD88 one more time. Pricing was actually less with the connection places on both AA and DL and in First Class and travel time around three hours longer as I gave myself a longer connection time as well.

Guess this makes me one of those guys who has gotten the :crazy: look from friends!!
Last edited by IAHFLYR on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:27 pm

I’ll go out of my way NOT to fly UA and any ULCC. Tyoes? Couldn’t care less.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm

I've done so a few times. I fly frequently between London and Antigua and there are direct flights, but on a couple occasions I've gone via JFK and YYZ to fly on AA's 77W and AC's 787s just to log the new aircraft types.

I also flew MAD-LHR last year to specifically fly BA's new A350 with Club Suites when they were doing training flights. It was a bit of a gamble as they were not listed in the schedule when I bought the ticket and chose the flights based on what the travel blogs said. Worked out pretty well for me as I got to try both the old (777) and new Business Class product for just over £300 :)
I'll wake from the dream, To keep and relive, Now life it is a dream, And dream's on a... BREAK!

WesternDC6B

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:54 pm

I’ll avoid 777s when possible. Too blasted noisy.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

Yflyer

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:45 pm

VSMUT wrote:
If presented with 2 options, I will take whatever is most interesting.

This is pretty much what I do. I won't go out of my way specifically to fly on a certain plane, but if I'm trying to decide between two similar itineraries I'll choose the one with the more interesting type. I basically use the aircraft type as a tie breaker if the price, schedule, and other factors are all about the same.

res77W

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:22 pm

I go out of my way to fly 757s out of MCI. DL pre-COVID offered multiple 757s daily to Atlanta during the late summer into early winter. Ironically, this was my travel season for work.

-Rowen

DALMD80

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:56 pm

I find that this is kind of risky- I was scheduled to fly a 757-200 on UA LAX-ORD. I was super pumped, couldn't wait to hear those RRs! But sadly, some schedule change stuck me with a 7397-900ER. Ugh.
2 things- Wear a mask, and vote. It's that simple.

aeromoe

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 pm

Over the last four years I've done little else but book flights to fly on specific planes. As others have stated...they won't go out of their way. I make it a point to go out of my way whenever possible. I don't fly for business except maybe domestically once a year. After all, what else are hobbies for?

Back in October 2015 I checked in for a trip at PHX that I booked PHX-DEN-IAH-FLL so I could get a UA 788 DEN-IAH...my first 787. I had a bag to check (rare for me...good thing) and the agent informed me they'd rebooked me on a more direct routing to FLL. Ummm...no, sir. I booked my itinerary specifically for the 788 DEN-IAH and will you please reinstate my original itinerary...which he thankfully was able to do....window seats and all. Apparently he thought "they" were doing me a favor. My question here waaaay after the fact is why didn't UA inform me of the itinerary change? Moot point of course now, but in hindsight...interesting.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

efpmeneses

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 pm

I decided to do CDG-ARN-DUS (5 Hours total) with SAS, instead of CDG-DUS direct flight which was an 1h flight.

It was the same price, and as I had time, I opted to do this to fly a new airline (SAS) and to be on a New airport ARN.

And I was almost going to do DUS-MAD-CDG on Iberia instead of direct DUS-CDG, because the price was much cheaper, but that would take me most of the day, so opted for direct.

Enviado do meu ASUS_I01WD através do Tapatalk

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Oh, my goodness, yes!

In 1987, against the advice of my travel agent, I booked LAX-JFK on a TWA 747. She wasn't that keen on TWA or Pan Am at the time, but she reluctantly got me on that flight, which went off without a hitch. Great flight, too!!

Went to Chicago three times: November, 2002, May, 2003, and May, 2004, and stayed with friends who were living there. I insisted on flying SAN-DEN-ORD so that I could fly on a 777. I ended up returning on a 757 non-stop, as my return 777 flight was canceled. In 2003 I repeated the same outbound route, but returned ORD-SFO-SAN to fly a 767 and 757, the most interesting types that were not either a 777 or 747-400...

The last trip was booked specifically for the 747-400. United had a daily 747-400 rotation LAX-ORD, and I connected from SAN. The agent at United Express asked why I wasn't flying the non-stop. I told her, "this may be the last 747-400 domestic flight ever, so I want one last chance to fly on one!" She understood. Ironically, my return trip was changed to an ORD-SAN non-stop, as once again the widebody of choice went tech.

For Europe in 2017, I insisted on Lufthansa LAX-FRA on a 747-8. Maybe my last trip on a 747, but it was business class on the upper deck. I worked as much magic as I could with Lufthansa and managed to get us on an Edelweiss Air A340-300 non-stop ZRH-SAN. Longest and by far the most exotic route I have ever flown.

dfwjim1

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Back in 2018 I flew FLL - DFW - SFO to fly on a 788 from DFW to SFO but wouldn't you know it the 787 was changed out for a 777!

PlymSpotter

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 pm

I've done this literally hundreds of times - I love flying different types and airlines.

My rule is that I will never pay more than £500 to fly a specific aircraft type and £100 for an airlines. Normally it's far far less - my limit only really comes into play when considering sightseeing or pleasure flights on very rare aircraft.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

hoons90

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:14 am

Flew DUS-AUH-ICN to fly on an Etihad A340-500. Not the most direct routing and wasn't the cheapest option either..
YYZ-JFK-MUC (self-connecting at JFK) to fly on a Lufthansa A340-600.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

klm617

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I've gone more out of my way to fly certain airlines rather than airliners themselves. I once flew DTW-JFK-KEF-LUX-KEF-DTW just to fly Icelandair. Also flew YQG-YYZ-FRA-YYZ-YQG just to fly Air Canada.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Not really out of my way but picked an ORD-DTW flight just so I could fly one more time on a Delta DC-9-50 N783RC
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:09 pm

My experience has been that most of my interesting aircraft have been serendipitous. My first 744 ride was an operational upgrade from a 772 to clear out passengers from a cancelled UA flight SFO-ORD. I’ve had at least one ER3 flight on IAH-BNA that was an equipment swap. Perhaps most interestingly, a couple of years ago I booked DL M88/752 SLC-LAX-OGG and was swapped to 712/753.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MartijnNL

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:58 pm

I have done Amsterdam - Helsinki - London instead of Amsterdam - London. The distance came in at 2,100 miles instead of 230 miles. I did it because of the Finnair A350 on the London leg. And because I like to spend extra time in the air when possible.

jumpjets

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:16 pm

When I am booking the airline/aircraft type is a factor in helping me to decide which option to take but I am generally only prepared to pay a relatively small surcharge for the privilege or to extend my journey by only a couple of hours or so - eg. from LHR- HAN/SGN-LHR I opted for an indirect route via SIN with SQ to sample the A380/777-300 for the first time instead of a direct flight on VN on their old 772s. Similarly when changing planes at MAD en route HAV-LHR I opted for a later flight on the MAD-LHR leg (an extra two hours) to pick up the daily widebody on IB - turned out to be a bit disappointing as it was a A343 not the A332 that was scheduled.

LostLuggage

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Absolutely. It's been said on here that aircraft type can be a tie-breaker when choosing between options and that's a great way of putting it. IAD-ATL-MSY last November could've been 2x 737s or an MD88/757 - a no brainer as a European.

I'm sure I'm not alone in having done entire trips to catch a certain type either. Personally I've done Dublin for the RJ85, Belgium for the F50 and SSJ100, HKT for Thai's 747 and wanted ZRH for the A343 this year, to name a few. They may not be the sole reason for the trip, but rather a clincher in choosing that particular destination over another.

Bestort

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’ll go out of my way NOT to fly UA and any ULCC. Tyoes? Couldn’t care less.

I am completely afraid to fly (((

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:43 pm

The only time I've ever gone out of my way for a specific type was once, in 2013, I flew CBR-SYD-CFS-BNE, with a self-connection in Coffs Harbour, just to fly on a Swearingen Metroliner from CFS to BNE. It's an aircraft type I was fascinated in ever since I was a child and I therefore desperately wanted to fly on one.

I wrote my only ever trip report about that flight: viewtopic.php?t=976535

7 years later and Metroliners are still flying scheduled passengers services in Australia, so in hindsight there was no great rush, although Brindabella has long since disappeared after being grounded by CASA due the poor maintenance practices.

I once considered a trip to Narrabri just to fly on a Jetstream 31 but Vincent Aviation, the airline operating the SYD-NAA route at the time, came and went in the blink of an eye.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

johns624

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 pm

After our cruise a few years ago, we booked ANZ back to Sydney as I had never flown them. The flight was actually on their wetlease HiFly A340. :banghead:

PITingres

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Most of my flying is business, and I have a certain amount of leeway since we book our own flights. I don't travel all that frequently compared to a real road warrior so I have been able to get away with bending policy to get on a particular type or route, as long as I don't overdo it. I've managed an A350-900 (nice), A380 (ugh), and 787-10 that way over the last couple years.

Oddly enough, the worst I've ever bent an itinerary was so that I could fly an A300, during their last days at (I think) AA, and at the last minute it got substituted to a 752! I never did make it onto an A300.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

dstc47

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 am

Many years back I made several inconvenient special efforts to fly the KL F70.

Every time a 737 was substituted. Whether this was due to excess demand from passengers trying to add the F70, or a malevolent intervention of the spirits I do not know. Anyhow it never happened.

VRHNM

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:39 pm

In 2018 I was heading to Koh Samui (USM) in Thailand and wanted to catch the 734 on TG from BKK- I chose not to go with the direct flight from HKG on purpose and flew to BKK on a separate ticket first, then checked myself in again at BKK for the quick 50 minute dash on the classic 737.

BubbleFrog

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm

aeromoe wrote:
Over the last four years I've done little else but book flights to fly on specific planes. As others have stated...they won't go out of their way. I make it a point to go out of my way whenever possible. I don't fly for business except maybe domestically once a year. After all, what else are hobbies for?

Back in October 2015 I checked in for a trip at PHX that I booked PHX-DEN-IAH-FLL so I could get a UA 788 DEN-IAH...my first 787. I had a bag to check (rare for me...good thing) and the agent informed me they'd rebooked me on a more direct routing to FLL. Ummm...no, sir. I booked my itinerary specifically for the 788 DEN-IAH and will you please reinstate my original itinerary...which he thankfully was able to do....window seats and all. Apparently he thought "they" were doing me a favor. My question here waaaay after the fact is why didn't UA inform me of the itinerary change? Moot point of course now, but in hindsight...interesting.

Haha, that happened with an airport for me once.

We decided not to fly SEA - LHR (which would have been the direct flight), but go PDX - SEA - LHR instead. And because we really wanted to see PDX and the Rogue pub there, we we horrendously early at the airport. Not early in the day, but early for the flight.
The lovely lady at check-in brightly told us that we could easily take the earlier flight up the coast, or even two flights earlier, she'd rebook us, no problem, and got on with it. And I just wailed "noooo, I want to go to Rogue!" Even bigger smile from all the check-in people, and we stayed on our original flight. Great few hours at PDX. And a good decision too because SEA was mobbed, while PDX was relaxed. Also, another craft beer on the flight.
And then they lost our bags at SEA.

But to stay on topic, it's much as with a few others here. If we want to go somewhere privately, the aircraft type is the tie breaker if all other factors are similar. Followed by airline (either the preferred or the unknown one).
Absolute Relativist

aeromoe

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 pm

BubbleFrog wrote:
And a good decision too because SEA was mobbed, while PDX was relaxed. And then they lost our bags at SEA.

Many of my flights (66 of 350 segments over the past four years) have involved Alaska Airlines...many of those included SEA in the itinerary. SEA concourses are definitely a madhouse no doubt about that! But I've enjoyed all my flights thankfully with no issues to speak of. As an aviation enthusiast, flying and looking out the windows of airplanes and at airports is pure joy to me. I haven't had a flight since 15 March 2020. Most of my flights are "flights-of-fancy" (purely discretionary travel) but common sense has told me to take a break during these strange times. Looking forward to resuming my travels some day.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

Kent350787

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:43 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
I’ll avoid 777s when possible. Too blasted noisy.

If it's just me flying, I'll go for interesting types. But with the family, direct flights and good prices are a bigger draw.

I agree that older generation planes like the 777 are noisy and I'll choose more modern types if I can but, again, needs must.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

BubbleFrog

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:57 pm

aeromoe wrote:
Many of my flights (66 of 350 segments over the past four years) have involved Alaska Airlines...many of those included SEA in the itinerary. SEA concourses are definitely a madhouse no doubt about that! But I've enjoyed all my flights thankfully with no issues to speak of. As an aviation enthusiast, flying and looking out the windows of airplanes and at airports is pure joy to me. I haven't had a flight since 15 March 2020. Most of my flights are "flights-of-fancy" (purely discretionary travel) but common sense has told me to take a break during these strange times. Looking forward to resuming my travels some day.

I am so totally with you there. Even in long haul, I actually only use the entertainment system for firing up either the inflight cameras (if existing) or the good old moving map. If at all possible, I look out of the window with music on, when I'm awake and by a window. I remember spending a lot of time looking at the full moon over a 77W wing on a night flight (actually that might have been the SEA - LHR I mentioned in my previous post, thinking of it).

And the fairly constant fight with well-meaning cabin crew that wanted to shut the blinds on westbound flights when I was merely dozing and enjoying the view with half-closed eyes.

My last flight was some time in January 2020 on business. Missed out on private TATL (and the alternative to the Mediterranean) due to corona and hope to fly again domestic on business in late October.

Take care of yourself, I wish you many flights in the future.

Really gutted I missed UA's 787 this summer. Would have been a new airline and new type at the same time, which I hadn't had in a while.
Absolute Relativist

N649DL

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:47 am

All the time! Perks of being an aviation enthusiast.

I definitely went out of my way to fly sUA 757s on legacy CO routes when they were still around in like 2012 to like 2015. EWR-DEN/IAH/LAX/MIA/FLL for instance because I knew they weren't gonna stick around for a long time and found them comfortable.

Back in 2010 I remember booking a DL flight from LAX via ATL to fly on a domestic DL 763 on a one off from ATL-EWR. I'm glad I did because I don't think it occured ever again. Also the outbound back to LAX was via MSP and EWR to MSP was on a DL 757 with AVOD. Also an extremely rare appearance which connected to a DL 738 on the LAX segment with no AVOD.

When I lived in Denver I (stupidly) backtracked to SLC to catch a DL 739ER to EWR back in 2017 and woke up at the crack of dawn to do so. I thought that aircraft wasn't gonna be on the route for long, but now it's a mainstay or so it seems. Not doing that ever again.

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:10 am

I flew HKG-DUB on a CX A350 as part of my vacation last year, worst flight ever! I was actually trying to get to London but VX cancelled and BA and CX filled up LHR, LGW, and even MAN so I hopped to Dublin. Without knowing (or caring because of avgeekery) where my hostel was, I thought it'd be a great idea to hitch a ride on Aer Lingus to LCY on the RJ85. I don't regret it at all, but it turns out my hostel was only a few stops from LHR on the Tube and it would've bought me a lot more time in London. But I had an Irish breakfast with Guiness and a ride on a rare plane into a unique airport so I'm not complaining :)

I also flew ElAls retro 789 TLV-JNB and that was a good bonus for my little side trip. Returning to DEN, I felt better heading through LHR or FRA and FRA won with lower departure tax and open J on UA. The decision came down to LH 748 or SA A350. With my previous experience in the 350, LH was the winner and it did not disappoint. Had SA still used the 340 to FRA, I definitely would've gone with that, however.

Me and my parents had a trip to EYW but we took UAs first 787 flight IAH-EWR after the grounding for the sake of it.

And me and my coworker killed a day flying to OMA just to fly an AA MD80 to DFW for Whataburger, then he split to LAS and I went back to DEN. This was about a week or 2 before they were retired.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

VSMUT

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:30 am

dstc47 wrote:

Every time a 737 was substituted. Whether this was due to excess demand from passengers trying to add the F70, or a malevolent intervention of the spirits I do not know. Anyhow it never happened.

I also tried pretty hard to get the Fokker 70 before it was retired. I tried for half a year, it was always substituted by an Embraer. Finally I snagged one on a personal trip, but then as luck had it my company started sending me on several trips that all ended up being on the Fokker. I think I ended up flying 8 times on the type in the last month of service!

tommy1808

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:44 am

Gillbilly wrote:
As a passenger, how much do you bend your plans or open your wallet to be on board a unique aircraft?

i´d pick vacation spots to get on a certain type of aircraft, airlines or airports. Like vacation in Kenting, TW because a) UNI Air and b) Hengchun Airport, or Koh Samui for Bangkok Airlines and USM, or Green Island for GNI and TTT Airport, DA Airlines and Do-228 in one go.....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

tommy1808

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:46 am

VSMUT wrote:
dstc47 wrote:

I also tried pretty hard to get the Fokker 70 before it was retired. I tried for half a year, it was always substituted by an Embraer.

with HAJ-AMS-TPE having been my milk run for years i got plenty of F70 flights, and was always disappointed when an Embraer showed up or was scheduled for my flight. Not because i didn´t like, but because i wanted the Fokker.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

FGITD

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Had a colleague years ago who would routinely fly across the planet to try new types. Favorite story was his several attempts to got an Air Inter Mercure, all of which ended with the flights being cancelled or subbed out.

His consolation for not getting a Mercure is that he flew Concorde a number of times.

This is all of course back when staff travel benefits were meaningful. People used to take a 3 day weekend and fly around the world just because they could.

efqpdx

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:47 pm

I once went out of my way to fly the (then new) Airbus 380 on Singapore Airlines when flying to Indonesia for a dive trip. I had never flown on the top deck of any airplane but found out that I could fly on the top deck of the Airbus 380 in economy class. It was a unique experience and I'm glad I did it. The flight was from LAX to Singapore

aeromoe

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:21 am

BubbleFrog wrote:

Take care of yourself, I wish you many flights in the future.

Really gutted I missed UA's 787 this summer. Would have been a new airline and new type at the same time, which I hadn't had in a while.

BubbleFrog: I sent you a PM inviting you to have a look at my online flight log web pages if you care to.

Moe

citationjet

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I not only went out of my way to fly a certain plane, I planned a trip because of the opportunity to fly a certain plane.
Roughly 10 years ago I flew SQ from SFO to HKG on the A-380. I hadn't planned the trip until I was offered an travel agent discount fare of $380 RT for the flight. I went because I had never flown Singapore Airlines or the A-380. Great flight, and I have been a repeat customer of Singapore for trips to Asia.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

F9LASDEN

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 pm

I can think of two times I have done this, both involving DL. The first time was in May of 2017, when I flew LAS-SLC-DEN as opposed to LAS-DEN nonstop with one of the four carriers that fly that route so that I could fly onboard the B717 on the SLC-DEN segment. The other time was in January of 2020, where I backtracked on a DEN-SLC-DFW routing so that I could fly onboard the A220 on the SLC-DFW segment.

I’ve gone out of the way on some other occasions, such as LAS-LAX-DEN on AA or LAS-SEA-DAL/DFW with AS, but aircraft type was not a factor in those instances.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

Gr8Circle

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Did this way back in 2010 to get on the A380 (SQ)....so glad that I did it at that time....looks like the opportunities to fly on the 380 are diminishing rapidly by the minute.....that SQ flight remains my only 380 flight till today....

N649DL

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:17 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
I can think of two times I have done this, both involving DL. The first time was in May of 2017, when I flew LAS-SLC-DEN as opposed to LAS-DEN nonstop with one of the four carriers that fly that route so that I could fly onboard the B717 on the SLC-DEN segment. The other time was in January of 2020, where I backtracked on a DEN-SLC-DFW routing so that I could fly onboard the A220 on the SLC-DFW segment.

I’ve gone out of the way on some other occasions, such as LAS-LAX-DEN on AA or LAS-SEA-DAL/DFW with AS, but aircraft type was not a factor in those instances.

I forgot: Last Christmas flying home I did DL on AUS-DTW-EWR to fly on the A220 (it was also the least expensive option.) The crew and aircraft were the same to EWR so they remembered me when we re-boarded and was seated in F. I'm not sure if that's considered backtracking though.

n729pa

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Oh yes..well it has to be done.

Picked off various things over the years for the sake of it. AF and BA A380s LHR-CDG/FRA respectively. AF 787s also LHR-CDG. IB A350 MAD-LHR, AY A330 and A350s HEL-LHR, TP A330 LHR-LIS, OS DHC8 GVA-LHR, Edelweiss A320 and Helvetic F100 ZRH-LHR, on a trip to New Zealand I did a quick WLG-AKL return trip to fly NZ, the outward flight was a B733, shortly before they went. A return from SYD-LHR, despite preferring QF I chose a EK B77W stopping at BKK too, a bonus, then a EK A380 from DXB. A popular one was the LA B787 MAD-FRA. Best one which I did twice was a day trip to TXL, to pick up a LH B744 TXL-FRA-TXL. ..glad I did now even events since. LHR-ZRH-HAJ-ZRH-LHR just to get the LX B77W to HAJ. One of the crew gave me a guided tour around first and business cabins during the return flight because of my interest.

The one I've tried twice and missed was a LHR-FRA-VIE-LHR circuit to get an OS B777 on the FRA-VIE sector. First time it was a A320 sub, second time just made the connection in FRA and it was an A320 again...taxiing I saw the next incoming OS flight taxiing past and it was a B777....they'd swapped it last night. Shame I didn't miss the connection as I would had been lucky!

If I can pick off a new aircraft / Airline pairing or route I'll give it a try provided its not too expensive.

csturdiv

Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:27 am

After moving to Australia a few years ago, I booked the short flight from Sydney to Newcastle. Going up was on REX and a SF34 which I had not been on before. A few days later, my return flight was on FlyPelican and a JS31, which I had never been on before.

My coworkers were perplexed as to why I flew to Newcastle and not drove or taken a train. I still have the green FlyPelican plastic luggage tag. When I'm in the US it helps to locate my bag easily.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD