Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aloha737200
Topic Author

Why did United keep Continental's livery?

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:46 am

I was wondering why United decide to drop the Tulip logo in favor of the Globe. I tried googling and looking at old forums and never got a solid answer.

Was the globe cheaper to paint on the UAL planes?
Did the globe have higher brand awareness?
Was the globe a better logo to represent the truly global airline they would become?
Since they did keep the globe, why not modify the livery for a more refreshed look too? (I don't count the new font used for "United" as a refresh when first introduced)

Thanks!

strfyr51

Re: Why did United keep Continental's livery?

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:59 pm

aloha737200 wrote:
I was wondering why United decide to drop the Tulip logo in favor of the Globe. I tried googling and looking at old forums and never got a solid answer.

Was the globe cheaper to paint on the UAL planes?
Did the globe have higher brand awareness?
Was the globe a better logo to represent the truly global airline they would become?
Since they did keep the globe, why not modify the livery for a more refreshed look too? (I don't count the new font used for "United" as a refresh when first introduced)

Thanks!

Unnited was in the middle of a Livery change when the merger happened. so it was far easier to adopt Continental's livery rather than move to United's incoming livery..
And Continental's livery was easier and cheaper to accomplish with a White top, a Gray bottom , a Gold stripe and just the tail design to paint, It was simple, Clean and pretty easy to do compared to the Rhapsody in Blue paint job that would have probably been twice as expensive. And at that time? Smisek and CO were running the show. at the airline. Now? they could paint the airplanes Pink if they wanted to as there isn't much of the CO management team left to protest. Many of the top guys have either left or were shown the door. the Senior management team is a mixture of American, Northwest, Continental, Delta and United guys doing the bidding. And they're managing with a vengeance.

PI4EVR

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

And only half of the combined fleet needed a new paint job, with CO airplanes simply getting UNITED painted on, so a major savings in re-branding costs right off the bat. If the Rhapsody or "Rising" scheme had been selected, all of CO would be a re-paint, and the remaining UA airplanes that were in the Gray/blue "Stephen Wolf" scheme. A big undertaking and lots more money to do it.
Its all history now as to right or wrong, as so many wanted United to retain the "tulip" U with any new colors or design, but CO was in charge and they simply did not relate to the UA "tulip" beyond costs involved in a fleet makeover.

aeromoe

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Sometimes it's just like in marriage: "cheaper to keep 'er"
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

IAHWorldflyer

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:57 pm

The above answers are correct as to costs, but I felt at the time that keeping the Continental livery was also a way to throw a bone to the exCO employees. Their airline was re-named United, and the HQ was moved to Chicago, with job losses considering the redundancies. There was a lot of bad blood on both sides of the issue, and no one was really happy. It was all pretty messy and un-innovative from a marketing standpoint, but Smisek was cheap. I think the worst was the re-branding of the clubs as the United Club. How boring and unoriginal. Pick Red Carpet, or President's Club, and stick with it.

B777LRF

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:14 am

United got the name, Continental got the livery. Fair exchange.
Signature. You just read one.

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:25 pm

B777LRF wrote:

United also got the HQ, and Continental the CEO (although most Continental employees would have gladly disowned him!!!)

The who schtick was a "merger of equals", and the name from one airline and branding from the other was supposed to speak to that.

IMHO this was just PR fluff though. Smisek never walked past a penny he didn't pick up, and had the United fleet been 100% "Rising Blue" I think that would have stuck as they had the larger fleet. Between a decent portion of the sUA fleet still needing to be repainted and Continental's livery being simpler, and therefore cheaper, the CO livery stuck as it was the cheaper option.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

USAirFLL

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:52 pm

Going into the merger Continental had a better brand identity as well. United had been through a dragged out bankruptcy and had planes flying around in both liveries along with the failed “Ted” airline within an airline. I felt that Continental was clean, simple, and consistent when it came to its brand after 1994. While never a big fan of their livery, I think it was the most sensible way. The new airline was very quick to get all the planes into one color scheme considering the fleet size. I think over the years United has dine a great job with the globe branding on its product and the updated look is a nice refresh.

N649DL

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

United also got the HQ, and Continental the CEO (although most Continental employees would have gladly disowned him!!!)

The who schtick was a "merger of equals", and the name from one airline and branding from the other was supposed to speak to that.

IMHO this was just PR fluff though. Smisek never walked past a penny he didn't pick up, and had the United fleet been 100% "Rising Blue" I think that would have stuck as they had the larger fleet. Between a decent portion of the sUA fleet still needing to be repainted and Continental's livery being simpler, and therefore cheaper, the CO livery stuck as it was the cheaper option.

Actually 60% of UA's fleet was already painted in the 2004 scheme. There was even a rumor they simply cut out the "Continental" name on the planes and slapped on "UNITED" in it's place.

IMHO, it was a really stupid idea out of the gate not to combine elements the UA "U" logo and the globe and start fresh (kind of like what US and AW did when they merged and launched a really sharp looking paint scheme.) A total missed opportunity, but then again most elements under Smisek with combining both airlines as "Merger of Equals" were as well. IIRC, UA was posting quarterly losses for years after the merger because of some of the bad integration decisions (Smisek also got nailed with the PANYNJ "Chairman's Route" and was forced out of the organization entirely.)

TWA772LR

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 pm

N649DL wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

Actually 60% of UA's fleet was already painted in the 2004 scheme. There was even a rumor they simply cut out the "Continental" name on the planes and slapped on "UNITED" in it's place.

IMHO, it was a really stupid idea out of the gate not to combine elements the UA "U" logo and the globe and start fresh (kind of like what US and AW did when they merged and launched a really sharp looking paint scheme.) A total missed opportunity, but then again most elements under Smisek with combining both airlines as "Merger of Equals" were as well. IIRC, UA was posting quarterly losses for years after the merger because of some of the bad integration decisions (Smisek also got nailed with the PANYNJ "Chairman's Route" and was forced out of the organization entirely.)

I think a gold 2004-Tulip with CO fuselage or UA fuselage with with a white CO globe would've looked good. I'd love to see renderings if anyone has those skills.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

blacksoviet

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:39 am

They should have brought back the Worldwide Service livery. Many of the planes were still in this livery and it looked more professional on the 767s and the 747s. Stephen Wolf was good at designing liveries. He did not like the color white on airplanes.

N649DL

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:45 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
N649DL wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I think a gold 2004-Tulip with CO fuselage or UA fuselage with with a white CO globe would've looked good. I'd love to see renderings if anyone has those skills.

So like a yellow "U" like on the Ted fleet on the tail? That's really what I think they should've done and put elements of the "Globe" in a wave formation over the fuselage. I think that would look good with a gray mid section, blue bottom and white colored top.